Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RatHat posted:

What was the worst manga that ever got published in Jump?

There is a lot of stuff from the 70s that was immensely popular but if you read some of them today... yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

No idea how Tatiana got that high up considering she hasn't appeared in a hot minute, but hell, same

Anime buff

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
excellent last page of sakamoto

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I'm so glad that he found/got a new sword made.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The first chapter of Astro Royale is here and man compared to the first chapter of Tokyo Revengers which gives the protagonist a great motivation and sets the stakes and gimmick up perfectly it is kind of a let-down in how normal everyone is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm very confused as to how old the main character is supposed to be.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The non-specific age where it looks like they're young enough to be involved in a school setting in some vague way but old enough to somehow be deeply involved in adult politics.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arist posted:

No idea how Tatiana got that high up considering she hasn't appeared in a hot minute, but hell, same

Her ball mech leaves quite impression imo

Oxxidation posted:

The perfect example of showing just enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The supportive signs in Akane were a lot of fun.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pierson posted:

The non-specific age where it looks like they're young enough to be involved in a school setting in some vague way but old enough to somehow be deeply involved in adult politics.
I think I've read enough manga to know this....

16, got it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speedrunning NG+ was fun but I like that they're struggling a bit in UU once more, and Language is exactly the kind of whack-rear end concept I love about it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm interested to see if Wakui can transition to full on battlemanga instead of just drawing his MC getting endlessly pummeled

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speedrunning NG+ was fun but I like that they're struggling a bit in UU once more, and Language is exactly the kind of whack-rear end concept I love about it.

A martial arts technique name being used for a word is so amazing

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

A martial arts technique name being used for a word is so amazing

Yeah. Also means he can keep going forever just making up random words and claiming they’re attacks.

He also just one shot god. Feng proving the popularity contest was right.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Sakamoto Days: ive kinda wondered this ever since the orphanage Slur/Uzuki came from is full of people with weird powers, but Akao being self-aware about being a split personality made by him to protect him makes me think that Uzuki was some sort of esper that assimilated the actual Akao’s memories into himself before she died so it’s really her in that sense.

Also man Akao is just great in general.

That's pretty much where I'm at for the moment.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

I think I've read enough manga to know this....

16, got it.

I am personally hoping they are 18 or so.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

muscles like this! posted:

They were! Ultimate home crowd advantage, right there.

This is the first time they'll sit down and talk, isn't it? He's been there in flashbacks and, weirdly enough, image training.

And there have been glimpses of how he feels about the path his life has taken. It feels a lot like... rakugo helped him become a fuller human being. And now he's on the self-study plan for that.

But now I think we'll find out for sure.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I am very curious as to what they look like in Japanese.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Nue's Exorcist: reading the bathroom scene just made me think about Blue Box and how well it handled that situation, and the way Nue's Exorcist did it is just so by the book

Witch Watch: I'm starting to think Morihito is going to have a terrible time dealing with Nico returning to normal whenever that happens. Him being a dad is basically his natural state of being at this point and I think it's going to be really hard for him to reel that back in once there's no kid around to take care of

Kill Blue: this might have been the best chapter the manga's had in a long, long time. I hated how this arc started out, but it's turning into maybe its best one to date. Mildly concerned with the formula to make the temporary antidote looking like candy possibly meaning that one of the kids accidentally eats it later (and what that could lead to), but I might be overthinking it.

Also, lol at Ogami immediately lighting up a cigarette first chance he gets. gently caress yeah, do some adult poo poo

Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: Genuinely laughed at the kid trying to gaslight Chojo

Shadow Eliminators: is this series wrapping up? That really felt like a moment that was meant to be bigger than just chapter 18

Centuria: this kid's gonna burn through his hundred lives pretty quick at this rate

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Centuria: this kid's gonna burn through his hundred lives pretty quick at this rate

Yeah, that was something I worried about with the 100 number. It's high enough for the writer to feel like they can be burned casually, but not so high that you can actually burn them casually. And that leads to narrative awkwardness.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It depends on what counts as a life, like many of the blows were not fatal but he regenerated anyway.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I'm very confused as to how old the main character is supposed to be.

Considering he flashed back to the showa era (which ended in 89) and it confirms this takes place on the reiwa era (started in 2019) then he's bare minimum in his 30s.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That doesn't seem quite right with his design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Nue's Exorcist: reading the bathroom scene just made me think about Blue Box and how well it handled that situation, and the way Nue's Exorcist did it is just so by the book

Witch Watch: I'm starting to think Morihito is going to have a terrible time dealing with Nico returning to normal whenever that happens. Him being a dad is basically his natural state of being at this point and I think it's going to be really hard for him to reel that back in once there's no kid around to take care of

Kill Blue: this might have been the best chapter the manga's had in a long, long time. I hated how this arc started out, but it's turning into maybe its best one to date. Mildly concerned with the formula to make the temporary antidote looking like candy possibly meaning that one of the kids accidentally eats it later (and what that could lead to), but I might be overthinking it.

Also, lol at Ogami immediately lighting up a cigarette first chance he gets. gently caress yeah, do some adult poo poo

Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: Genuinely laughed at the kid trying to gaslight Chojo

Shadow Eliminators: is this series wrapping up? That really felt like a moment that was meant to be bigger than just chapter 18

I admit I have no idea how they're going to resolve the Witch Watch thing because "Man effectively raises his love interest as a child and grows to act like her father, only for her to reage back to love interest age" is some creepy poo poo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Considering he flashed back to the showa era (which ended in 89) and it confirms this takes place on the reiwa era (started in 2019) then he's bare minimum in his 30s.

I think the lines about “the Showa era” were meant to be about his father’s reputation going back before he was born, rather than that exact scene happening in the Showa era. But I admit it’s not especially clear.

Edit: Also, it’s funny to see a series abound ultra-romanticized yakuza starting just a couple weeks after Chainsaw Man mocked that trope.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 15, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

That doesn't seem quite right with his design.

That is what was causing my confusion. Mentioning the eras and showing him at the same time makes you think that.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I have no idea how they're going to resolve the Witch Watch thing because "Man effectively raises his love interest as a child and grows to act like her father, only for her to reage back to love interest age" is some creepy poo poo.

Yeah, that's something I've been worried about. I don't think that Witch Watch has any nefarious intent with the situation, but there's no way to avoid it being an issue at some point. Even if Nico doesn't remember anything once she returns to normal, Morihito is going to, and the mental gymnastics it would take to switch back from being her father to being her love interest guilt-free isn't something I think is in his wheelhouse.

I imagine that they'll just address it in a chapter where Morihito can't stop parenting Nico out of habit, Nico gets mad about it, maybe Morihito gets sad while washing Nico's kid clothes one last time, the two of them reach a new understanding, and that will be that

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think the point of the deaging may have been to remove the romantic subplot entirely; the writer may have felt that it just wasn’t working.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I think the point of the deaging may have been to remove the romantic subplot entirely; the writer may have felt that it just wasn’t working.

Considering both them basically admitted they loved each other just before it happened I doubt it was that. (It was, however, probably so they could shuffle off having to actually deal with the consequences of that and focus instead on more obscure jeans-related trivia, the true purpose of the manga.)

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like the there's a good chance that we get Morihito turned into a kid before this arc is over so they age up together for a bit.

It would blunt some of the inevitable weirdness I think. Also cause seeing how bad things get with the other guys forced to parent both of them sounds like something this manga would do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I think the lines about “the Showa era” were meant to be about his father’s reputation going back before he was born, rather than that exact scene happening in the Showa era. But I admit it’s not especially clear.

Edit: Also, it’s funny to see a series abound ultra-romanticized yakuza starting just a couple weeks after Chainsaw Man mocked that trope.

Well the Yakuza thing seems to have been over for a while, as the family has been a legit company for decades at this point. It's unlikely Hibaru has any actual experience with the Yakuza beyond what he has heard. Even his closest brother says he's basically roleplaying.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 15, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like the real problem Witch Watch has is that it's just better with Nico as a kid and Morihito as her father figure, because she's fundamentally not a very interesting character. Returning to the status quo of her being a love interest will make the series worse.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like the real problem Witch Watch has is that it's just better with Nico as a kid and Morihito as her father figure, because she's fundamentally not a very interesting character. Returning to the status quo of her being a love interest will make the series worse.

Yeah, that's a fair criticism. She's mainly the vehicle for hijinks to occur, and her being a child with limited to no control makes it easier for hijinks to happen. The guys are still a bunch of idiots so their reactions aren't going to change one way or another

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Heart Gear: Yeah, that's about what I expected for how Roue crash landed on Earth.

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love:It feels like > 200 deaths over a decade is a really low body count for this group of witches. The first time we saw them they had like 30 bodies impaled on spikes while they laughed and danced about and that was probably a more spirited sabbath for them. I'd at least be expecting the estimate to be hundreds higher for the main faction of witches hellbent on destroying the world. And it's not like Mr. Priest's comment about innocent people being dragged into witch hunts somehow makes Vergil and his posse misunderstood or innocent. Even with last chapter the guy still threatened to take a child hostage when he realized his cover was blown.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah Heart Gear’s reveal gave me a pretty big :shrug: nothing really changed. I do wonder what the gears want to ask her.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love:It feels like > 200 deaths over a decade is a really low body count for this group of witches. The first time we saw them they had like 30 bodies impaled on spikes while they laughed and danced about and that was probably a more spirited sabbath for them. I'd at least be expecting the estimate to be hundreds higher for the main faction of witches hellbent on destroying the world. And it's not like Mr. Priest's comment about innocent people being dragged into witch hunts somehow makes Vergil and his posse misunderstood or innocent. Even with last chapter the guy still threatened to take a child hostage when he realized his cover was blown.

For comparison an annual kill count of ~21 puts them slightly below cows in terms of lethality.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Makes sense, cows are actually evil, unlike witches.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elite posted:

For comparison an annual kill count of ~21 puts them slightly below cows in terms of lethality.

Ok but compare the number of cows to the number of witches

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
The latest chapter really puts the bowling chapter in a completely different context now. I was thinking that it was meant to be a fun filler at the time, but nope, it was to set up this chapter and to make the Church look (more) like a bunch of monsters here.

I know the Witches aren't innocent either, but the framing of the attack is very intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

The latest chapter really puts the bowling chapter in a completely different context now. I was thinking that it was meant to be a fun filler at the time, but nope, it was to set up this chapter and to make the Church look (more) like a bunch of monsters here.

I know the Witches aren't innocent either, but the framing of the attack is very intentional

Thing is, outside the one priest that was abusing children the rest of the church is objectively in the good here. They don't want civilian casualties, got rid of the corrupt priests once their crimes were brought to light, and are just trying to save the world. One of the major schisms within the church is simply whether or not they should be dumping all their problems into the main character's lap and how this is affecting his mental state.

If the author wanted to imply that both sides were in murky water I don't think it is landing here. Dante, Virgil, and Mr. Priest all got traumatized by the same guy but outside of his small cabal, who in the church have done anything evil?