Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Wild Strawberry has (slightly) more likeable characters, but otherwise, yeah.

I'm So Hungry I Could Eat Basashi: as a very picky eater, I have never related to a character in a manga as much as I do Satomi

Daddy and Buddy: Yeah, I think I might be done with this series. It's just so boring and even when the two MCs are fighting each other I just can not make myself care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love:
I feel robbed that we didn't get to see Mammon's reaction to Asmodeus getting the fight and subsequent asswhooping he was jonesing for. But I also find it funny that nobody even cares about, nor acknowledges the absolute worst of the demon lords. That being said, the Lord of Lust really is smug over the most technical of victories imaginable. Still waiting for Lucifer to reveal what his whole angle is in this conflict.

Heart Gear:
We get it author, you also played the Drag-on Dragoon/Nier games.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Is anyone reading Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou? (Ogami Tsumiki and The Strange Everyday Life) https://mangadex.org/title/df361a38-eef6-4674-bec6-86d08aa1d1aa/ogami-tsumiki-to-kinichijou

It's a school slice-of-life budding-romance manga where Genjin exist, essentially demi-humans, with title character Tsumiki being part werewolf.

It's very cute and has chill low-key vibes most of the time. I think Ruridragon is a close comparison, but I haven't read Ruri since its hiatus started.

I guess there was a huge blowback against this early on because of perceived NTR vibes involving the main dude Shinsou, Tsumiki, and vampire boy Senga, except I always felt that was ridiculous and the series never like...goes down that path at all??

Anyway the art is cute and the characters are fun, and it's very lighthearted and easygoing.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

UU rules so much, I wasn't expecting Nico to ball like this

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Nue's Exorcist is frustrating because it has one somewhat interesting idea (the tension between Nue and the exorcists' association), but mostly it coasts on "What if Bleach, but horny?" And yet it's still better than Dear Anemone, because at least I can keep most of the main characters and the general situation straight.

I'm digging Green Green Greens and Kagurabachi, though, and I'm still reserving judgment on Astro Royale and Necromance. (Astro Royale really needs a more distinctive name, though.) Super Psychic Policeman Chojo is...intermittently funny, I guess, but still funny less often than Witch Watch.

Yeah I keep falling off the Nue wagon only to climb back on later. It’s a very annoying series.

Kaguraibachi, honestly I think it’s bad. I’m reading it though because it’s bad in the same way as the transformers movies. And I like those. It’s just a guy going from one set piece to the next beating people up. There’s just enough emotional investment that attempts at drama sort of lightly touch but even the manga doesn’t want to dwell on them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

UU rules so much, I wasn't expecting Nico to ball like this

I never expected Unforgettable to be this powerful.

Both One Piece and Undead Unluck making a real strong case for "never forget anything ever" as a superpower.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah I keep falling off the Nue wagon only to climb back on later. It’s a very annoying series.

Kaguraibachi, honestly I think it’s bad. I’m reading it though because it’s bad in the same way as the transformers movies. And I like those. It’s just a guy going from one set piece to the next beating people up. There’s just enough emotional investment that attempts at drama sort of lightly touch but even the manga doesn’t want to dwell on them.
Kagurabachi has a lot of proper nouns that don't seem to be consistently translated either so I have no idea what people are talking about sometimes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

Is anyone reading Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou? (Ogami Tsumiki and The Strange Everyday Life) https://mangadex.org/title/df361a38-eef6-4674-bec6-86d08aa1d1aa/ogami-tsumiki-to-kinichijou
I've been following it. It feels like a comfort food kind of story. I never even registered the vampire classmate as being some potential romantic partner so his chapter was just about a guy with a weirdly specific diet that informed how he interacted with other people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Both One Piece and Undead Unluck making a real strong case for "never forget anything ever" as a superpower.

It'd one of those "very strong but with huge drawback" powers. Great for remembering information, really fuckin' bad for massive trauma.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't know how UU presents it, but I feel like a "never forgetting anything" power, taken to extremes, would also do some less intuitive things like give someone superhuman spatial and situational awareness, because you'd instantly have a perfect map of your surroundings if you've glanced around. There'd also probably be a lot of effects related to how you move your body, since you'd remember "the exact movements and effort needed to achieve the desired result." It kind of depends how much the writing decides to integrate physical/"muscle" memory. In theory, everything would get a "riding a bicycle" effect where you never lose the ability to do it intuitively.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

I mean Deadly Rules Shittori is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here.

Absolute retention/recall would always be good for learning/strategy/planning but Unforgettable wouldn't be able to pull off even a tiny fraction of this bullshit without Language's contest. (Good thing too - would destroy the stakes if Nico could just raise the dead whenever he felt like it and conjure nuclear missiles out of nowhere).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elite posted:

I mean Deadly Rules Shittori is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here.

Absolute retention/recall would always be good for learning/strategy/planning but Unforgettable wouldn't be able to pull off even a tiny fraction of this bullshit without Language's contest. (Good thing too - would destroy the stakes if Nico could just raise the dead whenever he felt like it and conjure nuclear missiles out of nowhere).

Can't remember where they mentioned Apocalypse being able to do this before but it seems to also be able to slam a ton of information into people all at once too. So that's also helping things.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RareAcumen posted:

Can't remember where they mentioned Apocalypse being able to do this before but it seems to also be able to slam a ton of information into people all at once too. So that's also helping things.

All Artifacts kinda do that. Apocalypse did it to Fuuko when she grabbed it in the fight with Billy in the "original" loop, same when she touched her gun for the first time. Then there's Anno Un, of course.

e: I think the implication is that Apocalypse probably showed Fuuko everything the same way it just showed Nico everything, but she couldn't retain much of it without Unforgettable.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 30, 2024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know how UU presents it, but I feel like a "never forgetting anything" power, taken to extremes, would also do some less intuitive things like give someone superhuman spatial and situational awareness, because you'd instantly have a perfect map of your surroundings if you've glanced around. There'd also probably be a lot of effects related to how you move your body, since you'd remember "the exact movements and effort needed to achieve the desired result." It kind of depends how much the writing decides to integrate physical/"muscle" memory. In theory, everything would get a "riding a bicycle" effect where you never lose the ability to do it intuitively.

Oh yeah the guy with this power is a super scientist with mind controlled orb drones he rides on and attacks with, implication is using them causes considerable mental strain.

But also the power only works on memories after the power awakens, so his trauma is he lost the love of his life to an incurable disease, but immediately after she died he awakened it, causing all this now immutable information to start crowding out the memories of his time with her.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've been listening to the Shonen Flop podcast a fair amount lately. It's interesting to hear them dissect the badness of series like Do Retry and Guardian of the Witch. I don't always agree with their judgments - I think they were way too harsh on Super Smartphone, and I'm surprised how much good they (including Stephen Paul, surprisingly) saw in Our Blood Oath. But they're still interesting even when I disagree with them.

Edit: There were also a couple cases where they remarked on the "rapid decline" of a series that struck me as obviously bad from the first chapter, like Demon's Plan or Amalgam of Distortion.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 1, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

That feels like a pretty surface level read. Kagurabachi is a shonen fight manga, sure. It's about Chihiro hunting down bad dudes and slicing them up but good. But it's shockingly well done fight manga, especially since everyone assumed it'd be a punchline when it released. The paneling is nicely cinematic (better than Chainsaw Man recently, if only because Chainsaw Man's paneling in the last arc has mostly been pretty standard, while Kagurabachi's still young and hungry), the flow is good, and there's some play with the themes and tone, like the discussion of artistic interpretation of the blades, or Mr. Inazuma's whole scene.

Chihiro's a solid protagonist, too. He's got a lot of the edgelord traits people made fun of early on, but he's also a total softy around kids, a clever planner, and his unflappability means that him actually flipping out in the latest chapter is "Oh, crap." rather than "Yep. The hero says he can't forgive the bad guy. Never seen that before." Better still, we have Shiba in position to undermine the tough guy monologues without undermining the competence, keeping the series in balance.

Basically, it's good. It's just good in the way that fits a series in Shonen Jump where dudes get totally sliced open all the time, rather than in the way of Tolstoy or Tarkovsky.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chihiro is being fleshed out a bit more but I think they need to make his expressions a bit less flat. He now finally has something going on in that after like 2 volumes of black trenchcoat sword man bisecting like 200 guys on his revenge quest, refusing to treat his scar because it reminds him of how mad he is, he basically almost breaks out into tears when he finally meets the guy who ordered the hit on his dad. I'd hope that's intentional because that's a decent start to some actual character writing.

E: I also like Chihiro's weirdly measured hot-bloodedness in that he's an MC that will do reckless-seeming things but also instantly recognize when he's in deep poo poo. I also like the mild genre subversion where he flat out tells the "good guy" sorcerers fighting Sojo "Yeah this guy has like main protagonist vibes so you better watch your rear end for the shonen powerup he almost certainly has gotten. He's real loving good and may be able to take all of the sword's tricks to a new level, so plan for that." Then they did, but it still wasn't enough. But it mattered because it hosed him up really bad!

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 1, 2024

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
i find it funny that people call chihiro an edgelord, but also forget that he apologises to a child that the sandwich he brought them got a little squashed. he's trying to pretend to be edgy, sure, but that's not him at all.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 1, 2024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

Chihiro is being fleshed out a bit more but I think they need to make his expressions a bit less flat. He now finally has something going on in that after like 2 volumes of black trenchcoat sword man bisecting like 200 guys on his revenge quest, refusing to treat his scar because it reminds him of how mad he is, he basically almost breaks out into tears when he finally meets the guy who ordered the hit on his dad. I'd hope that's intentional because that's a decent start to some actual character writing.

E: I also like Chihiro's weirdly measured hot-bloodedness in that he's an MC that will do reckless-seeming things but also instantly recognize when he's in deep poo poo. I also like the mild genre subversion where he flat out tells the "good guy" sorcerers fighting Sojo "Yeah this guy has like main protagonist vibes so you better watch your rear end for the shonen powerup he almost certainly has gotten. He's real loving good and may be able to take all of the sword's tricks to a new level, so plan for that." Then they did, but it still wasn't enough. But it mattered because it hosed him up really bad!

I did enjoy him being told that becoming like this was planned
his fresh cup of hatred is fraudulent

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It was either here or twitter who said the line from the beginning about needing to wake up with fresh hatred wasn't because he was a genuinely stone-cold warrior, but he tells himself that because he believes that's the kind of person he needs to be to avenge his dad. He's shown pretty much since the first handful of chapters he's a lot softer when it comes to helping other people and takes huge risks to do it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zeruel posted:

i find it funny that people call chihiro an edgelord, but also forget that he apologises to a child that the sandwich he brought them got a little squashed. he's trying to pretend to be edgy, sure, but that's not him at all.

This makes him sound like Smoker from One Piece.

...I mean that positively.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would die for chairbot

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Zeruel posted:

I was kind of meh on this series, but this post as well as the Smoker comparisons have sold me on this series.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
He's Batman(*).

(* - if Batman killed a ton of people, like holy poo poo so many people)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah there are a lot of spreads of "Chihiro cuts like 20 mooks in half" for a two volume series. Like the badguys need DC villain HR.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Love it, give me more 2 page spreads of inked out dismembered mooks

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
sometimes you gotta have some chaff to cut through and look cool while doing it. kagurabachi makes me want to get some goldfish as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lmao twin start exorcists pulling the baby dimension from fire emblem fates out of its rear end

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Reading Kagurabachi and it is, as others have noted, pretty funny how the protagonist got labeled as a tryhard edgelord when he’s just a taciturn but not unfriendly guy. Also funny since his not-Stand is his three pet goldfish. 7.5/10 so far, not rocking my world but the attacks are real pretty and sometimes you just want a protagonist who just wants to make the world better.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only thing about Kagurabachi that is confusing is the scope of the world. I don't need it to be a global or even really a country-wide setting but I have no idea what the actual makeup of the setting is and the story didn't really grind that into my mind. There's uh, a big city...? It's sort of modern but also not? There was a war but I can't tell if it was like, a WAR war with countries or provinces or just a really loving nasty gang war kind of thing with criminals and clandestine groups clashing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

lmao twin start exorcists pulling the baby dimension from fire emblem fates out of its rear end

Mostly this genuinely confuses me on what the hell gets something marked aa 18+ on the app vs not, cuz I am pretty sure Dandadan and Alice In Borderlands are less, uh, graphic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think Dandadan ended up there just because of the first chapter since nothing else has been that graphic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kagurabachi Chapter 17: actually genuinely cool storytelling, I liked the weird zen space that I guess was a metaphor for the “talking with our fists/swords” taken to an extreme, culminating in Chihiro choking down the dango/accepting the bitter pill that swords are kind of tools for killing whatever the hopes of the creator and that his enemy is worthy of some kind of respect, whatever else to the contrary he claims.

Also fight was real good too, didn’t feel like twelve seconds but didn’t feel a lot longer either.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Skeleton double just announced it will end in 3 chapters. That’s a shame, I was really enjoying it. I wonder if this is an intentional choice or if it wasn’t selling well

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The only thing about Kagurabachi that is confusing is the scope of the world. I don't need it to be a global or even really a country-wide setting but I have no idea what the actual makeup of the setting is and the story didn't really grind that into my mind. There's uh, a big city...? It's sort of modern but also not? There was a war but I can't tell if it was like, a WAR war with countries or provinces or just a really loving nasty gang war kind of thing with criminals and clandestine groups clashing?

The most recent chapter clarified it was an international war and Japan got invaded. The swords turned the tide and let them kick whoever was invading out.

No idea who invaded though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

That feels like a pretty surface level read. Kagurabachi is a shonen fight manga, sure. It's about Chihiro hunting down bad dudes and slicing them up but good. But it's shockingly well done fight manga, especially since everyone assumed it'd be a punchline when it released. The paneling is nicely cinematic (better than Chainsaw Man recently, if only because Chainsaw Man's paneling in the last arc has mostly been pretty standard, while Kagurabachi's still young and hungry), the flow is good, and there's some play with the themes and tone, like the discussion of artistic interpretation of the blades, or Mr. Inazuma's whole scene.

Chihiro's a solid protagonist, too. He's got a lot of the edgelord traits people made fun of early on, but he's also a total softy around kids, a clever planner, and his unflappability means that him actually flipping out in the latest chapter is "Oh, crap." rather than "Yep. The hero says he can't forgive the bad guy. Never seen that before." Better still, we have Shiba in position to undermine the tough guy monologues without undermining the competence, keeping the series in balance.

Basically, it's good. It's just good in the way that fits a series in Shonen Jump where dudes get totally sliced open all the time, rather than in the way of Tolstoy or Tarkovsky.

Paneling is good, action is good. So I enjoy that. Just like I enjoy the transformers movies which are non stop carnage and explosions.

I like the soft moments Chihiro gets, it breaks his facade. Just like how sometimes liked the human characters in transformers. :dunno:

The teatime talk with the cloud gouger user was a cool metaphor.

I just don’t think it’s good. It feels less like a story to me and more like a series of cool and well executed check points.

Chainsawman, honestly I think the current part 2 is overrated. Half the panels appear to be Denji or someone else having a slack jawed :downs: expression. Very little of the comedic timing has been present in this run, not to mention how they’re treating our loveable goof Denji.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Chainsawman, honestly I think the current part 2 is overrated. Half the panels appear to be Denji or someone else having a slack jawed :downs: expression. Very little of the comedic timing has been present in this run, not to mention how they’re treating our loveable goof Denji.

I genuinely have no idea how you can say that unless you're not actually reading it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Skeleton double just announced it will end in 3 chapters. That’s a shame, I was really enjoying it. I wonder if this is an intentional choice or if it wasn’t selling well
:negative: Honestly with the way the last chapter ramped up this isn't all too surprising a development, but there are a fair number of questions that haven't even been addressed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Mostly this genuinely confuses me on what the hell gets something marked aa 18+ on the app vs not, cuz I am pretty sure Dandadan and Alice In Borderlands are less, uh, graphic.

yea I wasn't expecting them to show that much either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

I just don’t think it’s good. It feels less like a story to me and more like a series of cool and well executed check points.

Yeah, I think I agree with this assessment. I enjoy Kagurabachi and genuinely think that it's better than a lot of the chaff running in Jump/Plus now... but I don't think it's good. It's... missing something, and I can't quite put my finger on what that is.

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea I wasn't expecting them to show that much either

*goes to check the latest chapter*

...huh. Is this manga normally this explicit, or is this a more recent development?