Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This week's Roboco

poo poo, are we all gonna turn into Roboco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So is there any explanation for why Golden Kamuy is on the SJ browser but not on the app? I thought that I would read that next but I get most of my comic reading done on my phone.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also why exactly one chapter of Chainsaw Man isn't in the app.

:aaa:

so that's why

Well I guess my options are to either read it on the browser or eat the cost and get it on Comixology.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So Nine Dragons' pacing has changed from "Getting 1 new player every 3-5 chapters" to "3 new players in 2 chapters, and also introduce the rival/villain"

You think maybe editorial is putting the pressure on?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If Candy Flurry's gimmick is going to be how aggressively dumb its characters are then I think I'm going to get along with it just fine :allears:

Blue box is getting a color page after only 7 chapters so I guess it's doing pretty well? Seems neat and I want to see where it's going.

Witch Watch, Magu Chan, and Roboco all had some top tier gags this week.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

I would say if you're not currently enjoying it, to put it down until the current arc is over and binge it then. A lot of OP arcs flow better when you binge it instead of reading along week by week.

That's been my MO since a little after the timeskip. I remember I read the Dressrosa arc all in one go and enjoyed it, but when I went to see what others were saying about it I was shocked to see how much people loving hated it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I've been reading Kuroko's Basketball the past couple weeks and it gets pretty wild sometimes.

It's just like, literal 16 year olds are talking dead seriously about gouging out their own eyes if they don't win, or how maiming their opponents is fun.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

I haven't payed any attention to it, what's wrong with it/why does it seem like it's being canceled?

It's pace just jumped from "Slow burn let's put a team together one man at a time" to "Fill out the rest of the team with generic nobodies, time skip several months of training, and win a game all in one chapter"

It reeks of desperation.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It might be fun to do a post mortem on Nine Dragons once it finishes. In retrospect it started with a strong first chapter, had some interesting setup in 2 & 3, but then its first arc kinda fizzled and its second was a wet fart of nothing and most chapters since have been blatant scrambling to salvage a readership.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Is Black Clover any good? I'm on the lookout for what I should read after I finish Kuroko.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone, I think I'll try it out. I'd heard the anime was kind of a trainwreck so I'd been avoiding it, but it would hardly be the first time a good manga had a terrible adaptation.

Silver2195 posted:

If you're looking for something on the app to read, have you tried Black Cat or Psyren?

Not yet, I don't know anything about them so I haven't paid attention when I'm browsing. I assume they're pretty good?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Okay, finished up Kuroko's Basketball. That makes 3 sports manga that I've finished now (Eyeshield 21 and Haikyu being the others).

It was pretty good, but also the lesser of those three I'd say. Maybe I've been spoiled by Eyeshield but I have a hard time remembering most of the team names and which players are which, but Haikyu had a similar problem and hey, not all artists can be Yusuke Murata.

I also think that its ending was a bit weak, it could have used another chapter for some denouement. Haikyu definitely beats both of the others in that department.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Shueisha needs to bite the bullet and start giving everyone regular time off.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Witch Watch was pretty wild this week, I didn't think from the first chapters that it would wind up being this good.

Also when Roboco tells a better baseball story than the baseball manga :goleft:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Magu-chan and Witch Watch with good Father's Day issues.

Candy Flurry was right that guy's shirt sucked rear end

Mash's banner on the SJ site is great :allears:

For Cop and Dolphin's final chapter I legit thought for a second that Samejima had turned into an actual shark

Still really curious as to what's going on with Nine Dragons. I thought for sure it was gonna get cut, but maybe they don't have many other series lined up so with Cop and Dolhin making a vacancy ND gets a reprieve?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

By the way, do they ever explain why it's called I Tell C? Is it supposed to be a play on "I tell secrets"?

Not really, from what I can tell. At the very least, the i is supposed to be lowercase, like the math notation for imaginary numbers.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
i tell c just did an art thief plotline that was pretty good.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Red Hood's characters gave me some real MHA vibes. Seems neat.

Sakamoto had some drat good action this week.

Elusive Samurai, I think I'm starting to be afraid of Tokiyuki :stare:

So I guess Nine Dragons is gonna hang on for a while longer? That's surprising, I thought for sure it was gonna get cut. Maybe SJ is trying to fill the hole Haikyu left?

And of course i Tell c gets the axe. Kind of a shame, I think the main theme of having sympathy for criminals was a neat one, but having it expressed by making the main character a creepy stalker was just... eugh. It didn't help that the theme took a while to really show itself, what with the first few arcs all having scumbag criminals that Aioi was "in love" with so it just came off as unhinged. That said, the art heist storyline was kinda neat, that's where I could really see the potential the series had.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I have no idea what's happening in Chojin X, but I'm down to clown.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I really liked what I read of AssClass but noped out hard when it tried to get me to sympathize with the principal. I’d already sat through the Nagisa’s mom plot and that wound up being my breaking point.

After that I just skimmed spoilers and went back to read highlights.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So how bout that new series huh? It's... something. :geno:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mashle Hooray Mash is back!

Roboco gives us the Gorilla Gachi origin story we all were waiting for.

Magu-chan, Naputaku finally struts his stuff for once

I'm enjoying Red Hood quite a bit, Grimm telling Velou to not bother getting mad at the werewolves killing each other is a refreshing change of pace. The mentor/mentee dynamic here seems like it could go some interesting places

Neru I'm still not entirely sold on. I'll stick with it to see where it goes but I'm just not really clear on what the story wants to be. This seems like the type of thing that will fizzle out quick because it can't grab an audience.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Just a thought, shouldn't there be another new series starting? We've had three cancellations/endings (Cop & Dolphin, i tell c, and Nine Dragons) but only two new ones in Red Hood and Neru.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that SJ only cancelled something when they had a new series ready to replace it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/look-back-chapter-1/chapter/23027?action=read

The author of Chainsaw Man put out a one-shot this week.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I swear I've read Look Back like 5 times today, it's so good.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The art of Red Hood is really carrying it for me, I dig it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Just read the Bleach one shot. It’s just like I remember it, completely bloated with characters and Chad is nowhere to be found.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Roboco's Large Garbage sign is quite the mood.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I loved Sakamoto's scene with the assassins in the van. There's something deeply hilarious to me about the exchange of "I missed our exit, let me back up a little" "WE'RE ON THE FREEWAY"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

This manga is so loving weird.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's kinda funny how such a mediocre comic spends pages telling the reader that "mediocre is good actually"

Also got a laugh out of protag blatantly saying to no one "I'm like Cinderella huh?"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yozakura gets color pages fairly often, it’s hitting chapter 100 this week, seems pretty popular in Japan. I wouldn’t be shocked if there’s something in the pipeline.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This might be a hot take, but I don't think the Tuckers need more than one episode to tell that story.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Black Clover's fine, it's pure Shonen nonsense and it's good at that without bringing anything new to the table. Probably better on a binge than weekly because of it's (mostly) fast pace. I certainly wouldn't compare it to Bleach, poo poo actually happens in BC.

Also "Soul Chain Deathmatch" was hype as gently caress.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

No idea if anything’s been announced yet but I’m sure at least some fan will wind up translating it if no official source picks it up.

Speaking of, is there still any legal way to read FMA and whatever Arakawa’s other manga was called out of curiosity?

Yeah they’re both on comiXology.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I only ever experienced FMA in anime form. Is there anything in the manga that wasn’t covered (or is slightly different from) by the original series & Brotherhood?

There's the odd backup story here and there, gag strips and I think an epilogue where they melt down Al's old armor to turn it into parts for Ed's leg.

And I personally prefer Silver Spoon to FMA, I think it's a really well crafted coming-of-age story with a good ending.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
One Piece has, imo, an incredibly strong first chapter, I think it even with a stacked magazine it probably could hold on long enough to really establish itself.

And even if Arlong Park was where it really took off, I still think a lot of the early arcs are quite good, it's just that OP only gets better as it goes so they seem less impressive by comparison.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, checked out Doron Dororon and talk about bad timing. Yeah, there are differences, but Ayashimon does a broadly similar thing, does it better and is a series that began almost at the same time and competing for the same spot. I kinda liked what I saw, but it would have undoubtedly landed a lot better if that first chapter dropped like....three weeks earlier. :v:

Yeah, SJ editorial is cruel sometimes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So Doron's Kusanagi is a tsuchinoko right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Build King but...

Good?