Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

.Clash posted:

Thats one way to put it :words:

Yeah, it has one of the weirdest disparities between summary/first chapter and actual content I've seen. And that's not even taking the dissonance in tone between the opening pages and the rest into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I really am not a fan of Koe no Katachi because it's centered on, and narrated by, the original bully. Not because I think he's a terrible person or irredeemable or anything, but because his story isn't the interesting one, and being shown events from his POV isn't very appealing to me. More to the point, I really don't like the dynamic it gives the comic, again not because it's bad but because it's not the one I want to see - by not being focused on her troubles specifically, but instead the reformed bully, it really feels like a story that's more interested in making excuses for the dude and saying 'hey he wasn't that poo poo forever see, you can improve too' rather than focusing on the actual victim's problems and issues. It's not a bad message, but it could have been delivered just as well if he was the secondary protagonist, and not the girl.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

I guess Bleach isn't over yet???

Images for Kubo's new one-shot.

Minor design spoilers: That kid in the middle is impressively unappealing.

I'm seriously struggling to think of the last time I saw a design that bland and boring for a prominent character in a shounen series. Depicting him as a weenie to boot in the promo image doesn't exactly improve my confidence in the character.

C'mon, why couldn't mister badass in the back be the male MC? Or just focus on the girls entirely. Or if these are impossible, at the very least don't make Mr. Relatable-to-Japanese-teens the most generic looking guy with literally not a single quirk or detail to his design whatsoever visible even in the loving promotional spread showing off the characters.

E: It's extra bad since Ichigo's design was pretty good (at the start when Kubo put in effort anyway) and Bleach initially built a lot of its name on the fashionable character spreads he mastered. 'Some guy in a school-uniform' is wasting like the one thing Kubo seems actually talented at. Look at how cool he made the other guy!

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 12, 2018

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I read through Jigokuraku this week, and really enjoyed it. However, one thing seemed kind of weird to me. What was with the like 3 pages where Jikka asks crime bros to take out most of the remaining Asaemon? It felt like it was signalling him as the classic fake-out final boss on the boat or similar, but he just plays completely nice after that and doesn't even really have any internal dialogue indicating evil intentions or anything after that chapter. This is also introduced fairly late so I'm not sure it being cut for time because the author had to wrap up makes a ton of sense to me. He is surely shown as generally self-interested to the end, but he doesn't hesitate to play nice and arrange things ideally for two of his targets (Shion/Sagiri) at the end either. Sagiri even returns to the Asaemon clan for a while before the epilogue unlike Shion who I guess could be argued Jikka saw would be a non-factor anyway.

Given his bullshit superpower I suppose you could argue he foresaw that his little plots were no longer necessary, as well as his prompt to the brothers being purely opportunistic and not something high priority enough for him to follow up on with backup plans or the like, and I can buy that. But from a storytelling perspective, it was really weird to read the final chapters and realizing the story never really acknowledges it happened much less pick it back up, or really showing Jikka being a cold bastard at all. The closest he gets to comeuppance is not getting his own part in the epilogue lol.

Pretty minor thing though, cute married couple epilogue scenes smooth over a lot of minor plot weirdness.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jerkface posted:

I read through it a few months ago and my read on it is he just just wanted to ensure he became the head and once that was guaranteed he wouldnt need sagiri killed for example but it could also just be a dropped plot thread too

I considered that but, in what world would Sagiri be next in line as the head over him? Everything we know about the setting and the Asaemon clan indicated there was no chance a woman could become the head at all. And since Sagiri is additionally his junior and second to him in skill, the only thing she would really have to her advantage is not being a lazy rear end in a top hat - which is compelling but hardly likely to convince whoever decides the successor. Shion I could see and obviously Shugen, but there doesn't seem to be any real reason to worry about her WRT his rise to power, especially since she isn't antagonistic towards him at all either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Been reading through Jujutsu Kaisen over the past month and change, just finished volume 19. Gotta say I'm struggling to continue at this point. I like some individual story beats like the lawyer dude in volume 19 was cool, but overall I truly could not be less engaged in this game thing that's going on and it feels like a strange direction to take the story, even though I assume it's gonna do some fake-out development and not take nearly as long as it seems set up to.

And besides Yuji who is still a fun MC, the series is at this point focusing on all the wrong characters for me. Megumi is intensely disinteresting and the fact that it feels like he's being set up as a deuteragonist is frustrating enough. All the girls and the cooler 2nd year guys being sidelined completely at the moment is really exacerbating that too. Overall I thought the series had promise WRT its female cast for a while, but at this point I'm not sure I could say a single one of them are on a character arc I like, and of course they are at this point all also absent from the story and feel irrelevant. The last relevance any of them had at this point with the 'conclusion' to the Zen'in clan conflict was frankly awfully done too. And don't get me started on the writing for the few minor female characters still popping up...

Overall it has felt like a trend for me for a good many volumes now that the fun and interesting characters in the story all get sidelined or killed - on all sides of the conflict. The most fun villains are gone at this point too! The main exception here being Gojo, who was fine as a character but way too overpowered to hang around and the story definitely did the right thing putting him in timeout for a while.

Finally, while I like Yuji, I am really struggling to engage with/care about Sukuna. Both as an individual character, and as a conduit through which Yuji grapples with morality.

Art is still nicely stylized and some of the powers/fights are cool and fun conceptually (see: lawyerfight) but it's not really enough on its own. And the other fight in V19 was far more boring.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 3, 2023