Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yo Magu-Chan what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cop Dolphins first chapter features a scene where it is cool and good for police to shoot wildly at fleeing suspects so it is for the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nrook posted:

Who exactly is the main character of World Trigger, again? This arc is ridiculous, though I’m still enjoying it and I can’t really judge it one way or another until it’s over. I assume there’s going to be a huge simulated fight afterward, akin to the big invasion arc, so the pacing will make more sense in a reread, but still.

World Trigger has ever been anything but the insanely insanely long testing arc? I think you're lying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is a nice little button on the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm really digging super smartphone. It's a fun blend of things and I hope it can keep it up.

I'm just not very clear on what tone it is going for so far. It's kind of like Kid Friendly Death Note but it's also pretty blunt about invasion of privacy and constantly pushing the MC to do extremely morally questionable things and rewarding him for it. It'd be interesting to see if it is going for "having this level of power is corrupting and dangerous" or "It's totally okay to invade people's privacy because I'm a superhero."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

My guess is it's the former considering literally everything being foreshadowed.

I am genuinely hoping so! That is a much cooler concept than "I'm the good one" which is what the mention of other people having the Smartphone made me think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

The real question in Earthchild is when will Kareri's parents bring up the fact that some adult married and got their underage daughter pregnant.

Never because the author said they are mentally and physically adults. Like yes it is still creepy and loving weird but however the nonsense works it somehow makes them Actual Adults which is why it was an option for superbaby.

The series sucks but they did theor handwave for it so it is up to the reader to decide if they buy it or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i liked the death note one-shot sequel that came out a while back. by contrast, that kid didn't make any mistakes because he kept his desire and ego in check.

Still got pretty hosed though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How could you hate her face? Her face owned. Her being written off because she didn't have a standard moeblob face would be the worst thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm just kinda tired of 'regular guy who is absurdly strong' stuff. OPM and Sakamoto Days both scratch that itch better for me. The concept is interesting but it hasn't really stood out since the first chapter or two

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I cannot believe the last chapter of Ayashimon. I feel like someone high up at Shonen Jump must have just hated this series or something. It feels like the author only heard it was being canned halfway through this chapter.

I mean the answer is that it was massively unpopular. Anything else beyond that is just an author struggling to reach some kind of ending in a story that absolutely was not supposed to be ending. It was that or make an ending entirely about how fans are lovely because they demanded things and then end with defeating fandom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well we know it's not unpopular it's volume sold well.

I mean people keep pointing to this but the volume sales clearly weren't enough to save it and every other metric we're aware of was that it wasn't popular. There are other series in similar boats but Doran is probably going to the chopping block soon and Earthchild is either going to die or get 500 chapters for no good reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This really pains me, because the female lead was literally the specific thing that made me like it at all.

Yeah, once I read that they dumped her entirely then I lost any interest in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every manga that dies empowers Earth Child more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, well I can, and will, cancel my sub if this gets too stupid.

It was a difficult decision but cancelling One Piece to make room for more Earth Child was the right move.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah Doran can die for all I care. Get rid of the most interesting part of the series for no good reason and you've got nothing left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Could Alien Area not come up with a more interesting visual for its main characters first big attack than 'literally just Haki Luffy'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm not the only one seeing Senku from Dr. Stone in that detective in AA am I?

No the entire thing is basically slapped together generic brand things from other manga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Thing I found funny is how he continually remains tops of the popularity poll even though there are a lot of flashier characters that you would expect to take it.

I think it is half because if you like WT you probably like that kind of character and half that the protagonist of any given story gets a free +50% bonus to popularity poll results.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chris Pratt is going to be Vash and will play him identically to Star Lord

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I'm curious when Taguchi took over that series. Was it before or after Agravity Boys started doing those lovely gender jokes? Those were what truly soured me on that series.

Wasn't that like... chapter 2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viz put up the original Saint Seiya manga and I'm reading it for the first time. I gotta admit it's... not very engaging. Everything seems to go like this:

"We must protect the prince-"
"Oh no! The Princess has been kidnapped. Time to race against time to rescue her before she dies."
"Not so fast! I am more powerful than a mere Bronze! You can't hurt me!"
"Gasp! My punches don't work"
"But have you considered... PUNCHING HARDER?!"
"HOW CAN THIS BE? His punch punched me!"
"*A scene of someone's head flying off with a blood trail behind it, turns out a page later it was a dream/fake/he was hiding his head in his chest despite us seeing the stream of blood and the head in the helmet."
*replace punches with Ice/Chain/Dragon Punch/Gouging Your Eyes Out by preference.*

Perhaps it picks up but so far it feels like the same three scenes repeated with slight changes. I usually don't mind older stuff so I'm surprised how dull I find it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

You need to really be into absurd power scaling and 80s cheese to get enjoyment out of the original, I found. I did for a while watching the anime, but dropped off just before the big boss rush arc.

I could see it being a lot more engaging in anime form since in the manga they basically just jump right to the stock footage without any in-between.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm still surprised Saint Seiya is some sort of pro wrestling setup and not some monster of the week like the character design led me to believe.

Nah, it's monster of the week. The pro-wrestling thing doesn't even last the whole first arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Idk much about pro wrestling but having the childhood friend of the main crew go “guys I’m evil now after my training on HELL QUEEN ISLAND also I brought my crew of black ranger Saints who all have evil versions of your power” is exactly my understanding of how unabashedly dramatic/absurd wrestling tends to get through a Shonen anime filter.

Personally I found it (the anime specifically, but I started reading the manga since I never finished the Netflix run) to be engaging enough because it has no chill whatsoever and just rapidly goes between arcs, but also it seems like something you read/watch at this point because it’s a part of history instead of it holding up like, say, the Sailor Moon anime or DBZ.

But if you’re not enjoying it they also put Kaguya-sama: Love is War on the backlog recently, which is a good excuse to read/reread most of it. :)

I figure I should at least give it a shot but yeah I'll probably move onto something else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My only real problem with Claymore is that since 95% of the cast is silver-haired women wielding nearly identical weapons in nearly identical outfits I end up struggling to remember characters unless they have a super distinctive hairstyle or gimmick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

I finally got around to reading High School Family after bouncing off of it before. Gotta say, it gets a lot better once it settles in and every chapter isn't "A family? In high school!?"

In light of Takahashi's passing I want to give Yu-Gi-Oh a try, but the SJ app has like 4 different comics with Yugi on the cover. What order are you supposed to read them in?

Start with Yugioh, then Yugioh Duelist Kingdom, then Yugoh Millenium World. There's another one but it's like a sidestory/non-'canon' thing that doesn't fit with the rest.

It basically goes: The Yugioh with all the werid poo poo -> The Yugioh where card games take over everything -> The ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IIRC it is all mind fuckery except for the guy in the fast food place but that's because he is actively threatening to kill Yugi and his friends.

There are a couple of situations where he flat-out kills or contributes to someone dying. There's the time he set a dude on fire but there's also a time he ends up playing a kid in a game with a soul-eating jar and it ends with the jar eating the kid's soul and him just sort of... leaving his soulless corpse behind, saying the jar can never be opened again.

There's also the exploding ice hockey which is not illusionary but may only be a maiming instead of a murder.

Pegasus also absolutely made Bandit Keith shoot himself in the loving head though.

I Am Fowl posted:

Magu-chan was great. I like how with as much detail as the ending got, they still didn't confirm that Ruru and Ren get together.

If you missed it there was a bonus chapter added that does basically that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ruflux posted:

I saw the "next chapter on the 18th of July" thing last Sunday but I'm still confused since as far as I can tell, there's no obvious reason WSJ got delayed by a day.

It's probably a holiday of some kind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > The Miscellaneous Shounen Thread: Earthchild Still Not Canned Somehow

Honestly, this chapter would have been a natural ending place, but instead it's getting the end-of-prologue treatment. It's going to be weird when it inevitably gets cancelled a couple chapters into the next arc.

Edit: Meanwhile in Aliens Area: "Equipment 1...and Equipment 2...He's using them together?!" Can anyone remember a shonen manga more generic than Aliens Area? I can think of plenty of worse ones, but not more generic ones.

Alien Arena is the shonen you get when you feed every other shonen to an AI.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Out of curiosity I looked at the start of that manga, and it's very confusing to me. When it was first created, was the author aware that there was going to be a real life card game? Was it only proposed after a handful of chapters had been out, and then the manga switched to promoting it? It's weird that it starts out with a few chapters that include no card games, and then suddenly a few chapters in it's like "so there's this new card game everyone is talking about."

No, the original premise was literally "King of Games." The young boy had a spirit inside of him who was a master bluffer/gambler/planner/etc and conveniently lived in a setting where the world revolved around it. Then they did an arc with duel monsters but it was a one-off thing until they brought Kaiba back as the main antagonist and then it became a lot more relevant. (Though it should be noted Kaiba didn't run a card game tournament, he locked the cast in a deadly amusement park where he did things like "hired Leatherface to murder the cast" and "Tried to crush them all to death with giant Tetris blocks.") After that the stage was basically set, though the manga kept doing random games until it went Full Card Game All The Time.

As far as we know the plot actually did finish as originally intended, just with a side helping of card games shoved in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

Even after the initial Kaiba stuff you get a bunch of bizarre nonsense. Yo-yo gangs, a brief storyline centered around Rockem Sockem Robots, and Bakura's introduction where they play D&D for 10 chapters. Duelist Kingdom is a pretty clear pivot towards the card game, I'm guessing that Kaiba storylines polled really well. Not sure whether Konami came to license the card game came before or after that shift though.

I mean I can't blame Kaiba for polling well. Kaiba is a near pitch perfect antagonist/rival character. I"m rereading it right now it's amazing how from Death T onward he is just the most extra motherfucker on the entire planet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know if anyone else has been following the Manga Up! story but it sure sounds like a debacle. Manga Up! is a reading app launched by Square Enix which is supposed to be a place where you can read FMA, Soul Eater, My Dress up Darling, etc. It also has exclusive rights to Arakawa's latest series but the app is full of heavy handed censorship and microtransactions designed the nickel and dime you.

Censorship in what way? Whenever I hear that my mind jumps to people complaining about vagina bones

Edit: lol wtf it uses the stupid credits bullshit most webcomic apps use but you don't even pay by chapter. To read one chapter of FMA you need to buy 3 parts

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 28, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

From what I've seen it's black bars on anything suggestive or gory. Meaning I've seen a page posted where an entire panel of someone being dismembered is blacked out leaving only the text box visible. Vagina bone is ironically also something that got tagged and apparently it's done this way to allow the app to be on platforms in as many international regions as possible.

Weird. I opened FMA to check and Ed's gory missing leg is front and center. Maybe it has something to do with the age check

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah so it is inconsistently about titties.

And in every case it makes it look worse than no censorship so good job thete.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is *staggeringly* bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah it sucks cause I really wanted a venue to read FMA in English legally without buying more books.

Yeah, this was my thought too. I would be willing to put up with a lot of poo poo to just be able to read FMA on my phone but the absurd microtransaction bullshit means no go.

(The censorship is funny but I don't really read fanservice manga anyway so it's more amusing than a deal breaker, I can't think of anything in FMA they'd hit.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

I just watched the second live action FMA movie on a whim, that was slightly better paced than the first one and Ling was particularly well cast in my opinion but it still falls into the same trap of trying to cram too much in at once, rewriting parts of the manga in a much less satisfying manner (in my opinion anyway), and the costumes/effects being just a slight step above fanfilm quality (also I don’t care what the reason is, you do not do Armstrong dirty like that).

This is a complaint I had with the first one as well but Al sounds way too old here (not sure why they didn’t just try to get Rie Kugimiya back since it was a voice only role anyway)

I assume you cast Al with his human form in mind as well

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I gave up on it once I discovered the character who was the best was apparently shuffle offscreen so welp. Nothing is lost by it dying.

Admittedly I feel the same way about JJK which I feel has gone infinitely downhill since the Shibuya Arc ended.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Finally got around to reading the first chapter of Tokyo Demon Bride and.. Ehhhh man there's some creepy stuff in it. I hate the "childhood friends promise to marry as kids, girl grows up hot and remembers" trope cus it's so low effort. Then this series decided to also have two (step!) sisters (one older big sister type and one younger lil sister type) added in to love with him, because having one cute girl that cares about the male protag through no effort on his part wasn't enough. I'm hoping it doesn't do anything gross with the sisters, but considering the setup I don't have any wild hopes for it. Second chapter was okay I guess, more of a setup chap. I like that there's actually a named character in a wheelchair, at least! Maybe I'm being a bit judgey, it hasn't had anything explicitly sexual like Ayakashi Triangle or anything. But like, there hasn't been a single named character other than protag so far lol, and there are definitely a few red flags.

Ginka & Gluna is immediately more interesting just from the first few colored pages lmao. Definitely quite fast pacing, but I'm into it. Setup is interesting and I like the two mains, excited to see where it goes!

I pretty much instantly checked out of the concept when characters started acting the romantic interest how old she was like she was a little child because nope that isn't going anywhere good.

chiasaur11 posted:

No kidding. Feels like it jammed the first volume into a chapter, and not in a good way. Another potential issue is that magic is set up to do anything. Limitations matter as much as abilities in setting up conflict, and here we don't have any set up.

I think you can tell a good magic story where magic can do anything. I really loved Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for example which was a book about stodgy British fucks trying to categorize and control something which is inherently uncontrollable and absurdly powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G&G feels like watching someone's New Game Plus