Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that a Naoki Urasawa character was just introduced in Nanatsu no Taizai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No. King is drawn completely in Urasawa's very distinctive style, which doesn't really match any of the other characters.

Also, why the hell would you waste time with Nanatsu no Taizai if you haven't read any of Urasawa's magnificent completed(!) mangas? Here is the Naoki Urasawa thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432538

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Datenshi Gakuen Debipara is a manga with an incredibly generic premise. However, it is actually a comedy and not a shounen fighting manga like the description would suggest. It is actually hilarious, even.
http://mangafox.me/manga/datenshi_gakuen_debipara/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

cisneros posted:

Does Shonen Jump own cancelled mangas? I've heard of some mangas changing magazines, but never Shonen Jump ones.

SJ doesn't seem to ever cancel mangas that are sufficiently popular. Anything insufficiently popular probably doesn't get picked up elsewhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eyeshield 21. Good jokes, wonderful art (Murata!), consistent character development. Has a pretty lovely final arc and a bit of awkward racism against black people.

Also, Adachi Mitsuru has like a dozen different completed sports manga, mostly baseball.

Edit: I hate PoT because of how insufferably smug the main character is. I don't get angry easily, but that prick really pisses me off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't really care about sports, so sports manga which are crammed completely full of nothing but detailed depictions of playing a sport bore me to tears. Slam Dunk literally put me to sleep.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

Ippo is pretty loving awesome. It will never hit the highs of Takamura vs Hawk again. But It's still an awesome manga for the most part. Even better when you can blitz through chapters rather than reading one at a time.

Not to bash Eyeshield, as it is my favorite sports manga probably in my top 5 of all shonen, but Eyeshield is comically more over the top than Kuroko. It's closer to Prince of Tennis than any other manga on this list.

In Eyeshield 21, they refer to the speed of light as the maximum speed a human can run at. Sort of silly, but they don't pretend anyone is really moving at light speed. If it was PoT, it would literally refer to the speed of light.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

I hope people are reading Nanatsu no Taizai because it's one of the funnest series I look forward to reading every week. For the unaware, it's by the creator of Kongou Banchou, which is absurd and great.

The title page of the latest chapter was kinda gang-rapey, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Seven Deadly Sins 32

It's Diane! :neckbeard:

I thought it was kind of a dick move that she got benched in the arc to retrieve her own treasure.

Also, it seems like Elizabeth is really from the country Meliodas destroyed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Donyatsu just got weird. If you are familiar with the manga, you should be aware of how remarkable this statement is.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Donyatsu/Vol-001-Ch-013--Boy-Meets-Bot?id=167664

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

Is there a series like Kamisama no Iutoori but people end up with special powers or did I imagine it or is that it?

Yes, it was a jump manga that didn't run for very long. I forget the name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tail Star updated! :woop:

Which is something I wish it'd do more often, because I can barely remember what it's about half the time.

It is about punching the main characters in the balls, repeatedly and at length.

Qualia the Purple wasn't all that interesting at first, but the last couple of chapters have changed direction and it is now very weird and novel. It is worth reading. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Qualia-the-Purple

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not know it was the same guy, though I can tell that the art is the same in retrospect.

The art, and the weird fixation on giants.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Remember Doubutsu no Kuni, made by the guy who makes Gash Bell? The manga that has its last update on September of 2012? Well it's updated again. With nine new volumes.

Nine.

From volume 3 to 12, the penultimate volume.

:psyboom:

Jesus Christ. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Birdmen/Ch-005--flight-003-BLACK-OUT?id=179234

Birdmen is speeding up. Hopefully this won't randomly turn out to be a miniseries like Shuumatsu no Laughter was, because I really like Tanabe Yellow's work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Remember Tokyo ESP? http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tokyo-ESP/Vol-007-Ch-030--Charming-After-School-Bomber

Apparently since part 1 ended Rinka became a fighting game character. And beat up Blanka.

She seems to be imprisoned in an underground slave arena, and given that she is wearing two of the tracking bracelets the government is likely responsible. I was curious as to where she was, but I wasn't really expecting this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is still a harem manga, with all the standard harem manga bullshit. It doesn't really matter what else they do with the story, because that tired old nonsense keeps the rest of it from ever being better than mediocre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RatHat posted:

Ga-Rei and Tokyo ESP treat their female characters pretty well.

Well, actually it treats them like crap. Just heaping up misfortune after misfortune, but the nice thing is how they then rise to the occasion. Segawa's female characters tend to be physically and mentally tough as hell, really.

It might be better to say that they are written well rather than treated them well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 5, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

gobbledygoat posted:

It almost hurts how much better the oneshot is.

However, a mute character can't really carry a shounen fighting manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 11, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He is a child. The attack naming thing was entirely consistent with his character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The body improvement club in Mob Psycho are all surprisingly great guys. Kind of a nice change of pace, given how most of the characters are such assholes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Pumpkin Scissors broke my heart. It started with the amazing premise of TANK FIGHTER, but then it did its damnedest to distance itself from any TANK FIGHTING.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

I remember that anime!

It, uh, wasn't all that great. Is the manga any better?

OP is still great, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZjHKQ-sUQ

Haha, I forgot about that absolutely wonderful part of the OP where they show each of the squad in profile, but the dog comes before the secretary. That always cracked me up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Birdmen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not quite sure why, but I really like the faces in World Trigger. They aren't comically exaggerated or anything, but those alone are enough for me to keep reading. Everything else is perhaps slightly above average for a shounen fighting manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Seven Deadly Sins is such a solid shounen series. Its story/characters/pacing are like a much better and more refined version of the main WSJ series and most other shounen battle manga.

I'm happy that they finally got around to the more good/relate-able holy knights realizing that the sins aren't bad. I figured it would happen eventually, since it's pretty clear that the sins alone lack the firepower to really take on all of the holy knights. I'm curious about where the series is going to go from here, since I think the guy who Gowther is "fighting" is one of the top tier enemies at this point. I imagine the stuff with King Arthur is setting up some other plot thread.

If the previous king only foresaw that the great war could be avoided, that isn't the same as saying it would never happen unless holy knights made it happen. They killed the guy who could see the future and are working off of a flawed premise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No one knows for sure what Togashi's deal is. He might be lazy, he might be sick. It has never been confirmed either way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Only, when Togashi is firing on all cylinders he is the best mangaka in jump. Better than Oda even, though obviously Oda is way more consistent. The sj voting system is ridiculous, but all of those manga that got cancelled were at best moderately good with the potential to get better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The brief election arc was great, though. It took a lot of the shine off Ging, showing just how much of an rear end in a top hat he was when people weren't describing how great he is for Gon's benefit. It turned out that pretty much everyone who knew him hated his guts, to the point that Leorio almost became the head of the hunter organization on a platform of punching Ging in the face.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Suddenly everything makes sense.

Still not watching AO ever, mind.

That is a wonderful policy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It sure is a pity that stealth symphony is likely to be axed soon. It has just started getting interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think that stealth symphony could have been something special if it had had time to subtly introduce Sieg's steadily decaying sanity instead of dumping everything together at once. Oh well, time for more shinsengumi wankery.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Making broad statements about what can and can't survive in jump is dumb. Remember, death note ran all the way to its lovely end in that magazine. It is a pity that not every manga with potential gets its fair shake, but it is a ridiculously saturated market.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Can someone give me a refresher on what's going on in Seven Deadly Sins? I can't keep track of all these holy knights with their goofy names and I have no idea who anyone is besides the princesses and the Sins.

Okay then. There were two holy knights in charge, Dreyfus and Hendricksen. Hendricksen was the guy who was really into the whole demon war thing, though probably not for the previously stated reason of giving the holy knights something to do. Dreyfus just wanted to be in charge, but he more or less cooperated with the demon war plan anyway. Dreyfus has a son, Griamor, who was the late second princess' bodyguard/boyfriend(?). He has done nothing but get chumped every time he shows up. Gilthunder was the first holy knight to appear. He was the first princess' bodyguard/boyfriend, and was only pretending to be evil because she was being held hostage. Jericho was a failed holy knight who used to dress like a man. Her clothes were stolen by Ban because he wanted clothes, and she drank demon blood to get the power to take revenge. She is currently the big monster fighting Diane, but was always kind of nuts. Geera also drank demon blood. Her family was disgraced because her father disappeared, though he was actually an early demon blood experiment that went wrong. She has yet to turn into a monster. Threader is a holy knight who leads a special operations squad who is loyal to the king above all else.

I think that is everyone who is currently important?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Reminder: don't watch the anime it is real bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Soth posted:

Ouch.

Well maybe Legendary Moonlight Sculptor will get a manga at some point. It's pretty close to the same thing, and a lot more realized.

It is getting a manwha, actually.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think we can all agree that revenge killings are cool and good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pierson posted:

The vengeance-murder-is-legal thing sounds like it was ripped straight out of Freesia, which did treat it as incredibly hosed up and the people who did it as incredibly broken people.

The question you have to ask is why such an incredibly poor writer thinks he can successfully crib from freesia. poo poo, the dude was only marginally capable of writing shounen battle manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zasze posted:

666 satans story was still somehow more coherent than naruto's.

You are being overly generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, Shield Hero. I'm starting to get some seriously creepy vibes from it. Basically, the women his own age are either comically cruel or largely indifferent to him. Even among the townsfolk who he forms relationships with, there are no women anywhere near his age. But now he has a sort of daughter harem, including a child with an adult's body. What's more, he has absolute control over them and they love him for it.