Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

just read the opening chapter for this and all the floaty bubbly effects during action scenes make it really hard to see what's going on

it's like everyone's fighting inside a lava lamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Here's a thought exercise: Imagine you're a mangaka, and you got a new manga published in Weekly Jump. You've just finished setting up all the characters and the major conflict. What would you do next? Would you think of future plot arcs, perhaps? A series of setups and payoffs? Character development? Some sort of multi-act structure? Or would you kill off all your main characters maybe, because you're Tatsuki Fujimoto?

You are standing in a field.

> look west

There is a character.

> kill the character

You are Tatsuki Fujimoto.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my hero academia's one distinguishing trait is its setting, where nearly everyone everywhere has superpowers and society has tried to rearrange itself around that. it's more interesting when it's focusing on that aspect of itself, even tangentially, and less interesting when it's trying to be a standard shouty punchman comic, because for all his virtues Horikoshi isn't that great at drawing fight scenes. he made up for it for a while with midoriya pulverizing his own skeleton every time he threw a punch, because it added stakes to each fight and also punctuated the ridiculous, disproportionate self-sacrifice it was going to take to make it as a hero in that world, but then he learned to start kicking people and became a more typical protagonist, and most of his classmates are just as dull

the 1B arc was a drag because it just came down to bashing action figures against each other with their current circumstances totally ignored, sometimes uncomfortably so (like when one student joyously shouted that to be a hero you had to constantly push yourself to the brink of death - there's a lot to unpack there, but it's just treated as standard Shounen Hot-Bloodedness). the current arc is much better, not just because the League of Villains themselves are way more compelling (fewer characters, more developed histories, more inner conflict, they don't have a nation-wide super-police force and unlimited wealth to throw at all their problems), but also because the antagonists this time are basically a libertarian cult trying to exploit the Hero Society's disparity to hoard even more wealth and power for themselves. unfortunately for them the League are straight-up anarchists and gleefully ripping all that down on their way to bigger things

for much the same reason, Endeavor is one of the better characters (not people) in the comic and the only interesting member of his miserably dull family, including the one who's a totally-not-a-secret villain. the stratification of the Hero Society and obsession with rankings and fame endemic to his career drove the obsession that made him dehumanize and brutalize everyone around him, and then he suddenly achieved his goal on a technicality and it all turned to ash in his hands. the comic's done decent enough job of showing his attempt to navigate the shitshow that he's made of his life since - his family's views on him are "complicated" at best and he's now one of the most public figures in Japan with an ossuary full of barely-concealed skeletons in his closet - and i'm way more interested in seeing how Horikoshi sticks the landing on that then i am on watching another tedious batch of slice-of-life strips with midoriya and his fellow bubbly cops-in-training

bakugo no.1 don't @ me

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 7, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mikl posted:

I like how (MHA spoilers re: Bakugo) the author subverted a trope with Bakugo. He's a brash, abrasive jerk, who's been an rear end in a top hat to the protagonist for a long time. And then he sees the protagonist, whom he always thought to be far inferior to himself, starting to catch up with him and even overtake him. He is super jealous about this. You expect Bakugo to pull a Sasuke and become a villain for the sake of power, for the sake of not being second-fiddle to anybody... And then the villains capture him, and offer him the chance to join them.

Bakugo's reply? "No. gently caress this. gently caress you. I'm a hero. gently caress off with that poo poo."

Bakugo is a good boy. I like Bakugo.

i never get tired of summarizing this

bakugo: if you untie me, i'm going to explode your face

villains: dude what don't untie him, he'll explode your face!

shigaraki: relax, he's not going to explode anyone's face. you're not going to explode anyone's face, are you bud- ARGH MY FACE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the writer also lost his cuisine consultant at some point during Magic Knife Time so you didn't even get to see any tasty food during most of the last few dozen chapters

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
samurai 8 is like a visually messier fairy tail

one fairy tail is too many

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
chainsawman

"And now a fourth question, my students. Do you prefer Pepsi...OR CHOKE"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
power is going to literally rip off denji's head and try to hit the guy with it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Arystar Krory

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it might be due to the translation but i'm a big fan of how forthright all the devils in chainsawman are

there's no dissembling or philosophizing with them, it's all "I'M GONNA KILL YOU CUZ YOU MAKE ME MAD" and "I'LL DRINK YOUR BLOOD AND TAKE A NAP" and "THE FUTURE! IS BEST!"

this extends to power as well ofc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
regardless of whatever the hell makima is, i agree with earlier speculation that her contracted devil is the Heights Devil

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
death devil's been sitting around these past few years, getting slowly weaker and real confused about why everyone's suddenly so stoked about dying

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
c h a i n s a w m a n

looks can kill

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

The phrasing I remember was like Moira semi-regularly clashed with Kaido.

he didn't. he thought he was hot poo poo until he ran into Kaido, who crushed him so thoroughly that he became a hedonistic washout

the power creep in One Piece is handled extremely well because, while the antagonists and their flunkies become stronger and stronger, the ways of dealing with them are often more elaborate than just "punch harder" and the consequences that arrive when they're sufficiently punched scale up as well. the entire middle stretch of the manga happened because luffy and co made bad enough decisions for the real strong dudes to briefly take notice of them, and that resulted in them running for their lives for like two-three years' worth of arcs. doflamingo's fight might have gone on way too long, but when he finally went down, entire portions of the global economy collapsed overnight. the four emperors are nations unto themselves and any of them being deposed would result in the whole world's geopolitics being rearranged. the powers-that-be are getting increasingly panicky about luffy because his righteous punch-fests have escalated to the point where all of civilization trembles every time he downs a new foe, and luffy himself is becoming increasingly dangerous less because of his punching and more because he is convincing the downtrodden and the desolate that these people can still be punched

it's a really good way of keeping escalating threats fresh and lively for a work this ridiculously long, especially because the final threats now consist of people like blackbeard (who has his own designs on up-ending the world order), the elder stars (whose "true" vision of the world government is still a mystery but far different and even more corrupt than they lead people to believe) and big mom/kaido (who single-handedly embody different forms of institutional repression and are seemingly too powerful to die)

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 6, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chumbler posted:

I miss Bleach.

No you don’t.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Dr. Stone having the "primitive" characters also be really skilled and intelligent helps too.

when we got that one huge page that laid out all the characters in the village i thought to myself "well this comic started out okay but it's going to sputter out hard now"

what a fool i was

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this guy likes drawing hands even more than horikoshi

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the old guy in chainsawman was breaking down the other devils in case they went rogue and had to be killed later. no need to do that with denji and power, because if they step out of line he’ll snuff them himself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I can't really describe Samurai 8 as anything but kind of a mess in every regard.

i've never seen a story in such a hurry to go nowhere

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seven deadly sins is so-so but escanor is easily one of the best shounen characters of the decade

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Begemot posted:

Chainsaw Man is so much better than it has any right to be. It's amazing how it has like such a bog standard shonen premise (hopeless orphan fuses with a powerful monster and uses it to fight other monsters for the government!) but it feels so grounded and down-to-earth.

It's like the polar opposite of Samurai 8 :v:

it's really unpretentious, which is refreshing because a lot of shounen, even the good ones, tend to have a lot of rhetorical bombast

in chainsawman the demons plainly and openly shout that they're just in this to indulge their appetites, denji shrugs off moral and existential crises like raindrops, and most of the humans aren't much different. when Nervous Knife Ninja Girl sheepishly confessed that she stuck around the bureau because her bonus check was coming up, normally that'd be a lousy attempt to hide some hidden motivation. not to say that can't still be the case here, but for this comic something that hilariously mundane is way more plausible

and this is more of a personal thing but i also like how everyone goes around kicking rear end in neat black suits, the women included

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he would have gotten tedious by now, but his Best Character status was cemented by that recent scene where he tries to fight some nameless monster in his de-powered form, gets entire chunks hacked out of him, and is still exhilarated that he was able to contribute in some small way even without the help of Sunshine

escanor's great in every state

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i read through Beastars up to the end of the school killer arc last night, though i did skim a bunch of chapters. pretty good stuff

the love-triangle material was ehhhh, but Kemonozume was one of my favorite shows years back so i liked how it tied the visceral horror of its characters' eating habits into their inter-personal feelings (without making it seem too much like the author's kink, at least for the most part). there were some arcs i cared about less than others - the romantic trysts did little for me and louis' little extra-curricular career was sometimes hard to swallow even in a comic where the destitute sell off their bodies one finger at a time - but pretty much everything with legosi himself was the tops

mostly i liked how no one can deal with how loving awkward legosi is, especially in the early chapters. the boy has negative charisma. he's so fidgety and weird that he occasionally loops back into suaveness by accident. it's difficult to tell how many of his suicidally poor decisions are due to the setting mixing predatory/prey dynamics into shounen hot-bloodedness and standard machismo attitudes, and how much is due to legosi himself being thicker than a yard of lard

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Uncle Khasim posted:

This is what sold the show for me as well. He’s such a well written character.

maybe it's just my limited frame of reference, but more than anything he makes me think of a gangly adolescent kazuma kiryu

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

This line alone kind of has me sold on reading this

he checks off a lot of the same traits:

- stoic but embarrassingly earnest whenever he talks
- suicidally gallant
- prone to bursts of righteous violence that land him in huge trouble
- Has Never hosed (he's a 17-year old who literally doesn't know what it feels like to have a crush)

he's way less self-assured than kiryu (because he's a shy theatre kid instead of someone who was born hardboiled), but one still gets the impression that he would spend all his spare time staring pensively into the middle distance with a glass of scotch at his elbow and a cigarette between his fingers if he wasn't underage

and legosi is absolutely the sort of twerp who thinks underage drinking is Wrong

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Beastars is just the weirdest series. The apple didn't really fall far from the tree.

the sudden transition from slightly demented school hijinks into more punchy shonen fare was really awkward but it seems to be finding its stride

it really sells its animal-people conceit, which helps the credibility of things like everyone's blase attitude towards sudden acts of hideous violence

e: also between this, kemonozume and devilman crybaby i think i have a thing for series that conflate affection and appetite and i kind of don't want to examine that too closely

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 12, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a thought i had about the chainsawman chapter - killing by strangulation is often botched by amateurs because you have to continue choking them for a while after they lose consciousness. reze's little ditty there could have been a way of timing just how long she needed to keep pressure on the guy's throat after he fell silent

either way this comic's got some of the scariest women i've seen in a manga since black lagoon

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Galvanik posted:

There's a Beastars anime? Is it any good?

https://twitter.com/PunkJax/status/...3D21%23lastpost

it's not going to officially hit the west under december-ish but early impressions are positive

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

That design hybridizes her design, a bomb/explosives and then shapes it like a xenomorph

The latter might not be intentionally, but either way, totally my poo poo

that final panel is 100% meant to recall the xenomorph's design

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Street Shark continues to be an utter bro, but drat girlfriend being the personification of explosions does not bode well for anyone. Although I feel like the story went from making it seem like devilmen like denji were rare, but now we're tripping over them every chapter.

probably because every single one of them seems to be on the prod for denji himself

reze came all the way from russia to pull this shindig

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jose posted:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1005892

a new series on mangaplus about a world in permanent darkness and the main characters journey to bring back "morning"

this artist is very bad at drawing faces

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

In the new The Seven Deadly Sins, the battle with the demon king ends with a wet fart.

this arc was approaching bleach levels of "END! ENNNNND!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I would say that Samurai 8 sucked from page one but that would imply that I didn’t stop paying attention to it months ago

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

christ, you two, neverland ended like a month ago, there's nothing wrong with taking a little break

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fire force completely lost my interest within the first ten chapters because the weak character gimmicks and uninteresting aesthetic compared to soul eater's halloween-punk, but i went back to it last week and holy gently caress it's really become something exceptional

okubo's going to be missed after this is complete, he might be my favorite character artist in the industry. only kazuma kondou can do gnashing, feral grins as well as him in my experience, but i don't know anyone that can do ominous black silhouettes the way he can

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

He did exactly that a while back.

Also there was a chapter just as things were heading into endgame which, if it's not a nervous breakdown given the form of sequential art photo edits of a woman is doing a drat good impression of it.

yeah for a manga that started in 2015 and is mostly about people in bulky firefighter suits using pyrokinesis in highly improbable ways, its latest chapters have done a pretty good job of tapping into the general mindset of the last few years

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

People talk as though Mangadex is back, but it's not loading for me.

verizon rangebanned it, so it won't load if you have them as a provider

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Phone provider or internet? That's pretty big if it's Internet.

either. I can’t access the site on my phone in Verizon’s territory even if I go on data

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The author should have teased this earlier, and got the plot on faster.
Im assuming were going to spend some time with these characters so why did bonker's backstory have to take up an entire chapter of precious startup time when there were no real hooks at that point except a quick tease of the plot to come and large muscular ladies.

Sakamoto Days

Im a real sucker for seeing artists improve in real time and hot drat if this manga didnt get a glow-up. Its not just the art thats improved its the flow of the art and of the dialogue.
Really neat to see

sakamoto really scratching that "horrible lunatics killing each other" itch lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Sanda Ch 5+6

I’m liking where this is going

*looks into camera*

Good evening, and welcome to this week's edition of "What the gently caress Is Up with Paru Itagaki."