Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there a series like Kamisama no Iutoori but people end up with special powers or did I imagine it or is that it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Harold Sakuishi who made Beck has a new manga out called Rin about a kid wanting to be a manga artist and some girl who can sort of see the future. Its very similar to Beck so far

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What was the last SJ manga to survive? Seems like most of those I've bothered to read have all been cancelled so far

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Watch it only be for like a month.

He should just get some assistants and direct the series so everyone wins

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Psyren's problem was that it should have been in a seinen magazine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Wow, what a piece of poo poo. It's not like most women in Japan can even report actual rapes and be taken seriously, nevertheless falsely accusing people.

The author probably got busted molesting a girl on the subway and seethes at the idea that she didn't stand there stoically and accept it like a traditional Japanese woman should.

lol calm the gently caress down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

tbf its a dumb manga

It is but people in this forum love Negima and I have no idea how anyone can read that its much worse

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sengoku Youko is better than Lucifer and the Biscuit hammer and Spirit Circle imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Have there been any fighting manga starting since Naruto? I read OP\Bleach\Hero Academy but I'm like a drat crack addict. Horrible tropes are my fuel. I need more. :goatdrugs:

Read a bunch of stuff on webtoons.com but god of high school will cover you nonsensical fighting need

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Did you really just quote a 2 year old post lol

Has anyone remotely competent started translating monster x monster because the last I read it was horrible quality and theres quite a few chapters out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its near impossible to follow weekly, which is pretty bad for a weekly series

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it would have worked a lot better as a seinen series and probably also not got cancelled imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

since i just thought about it today, has the gamaran author done anything since? it was pretty generic but had maybe the best pacing of any shounen i've read

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

There is something great that Aster's power is basically being swole in a world of DnD Wizards who don't even lift.

its really loving dumb and generic but I like it purely for this reason

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

one of the things pre-timeskip and immediately post timeskip naruto did very well was team battles that i've rarely seen done well in other manga, probably because of how the powers work

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

psyren had good fights and should definitely have been a seinen series. imagine it was published in the same comic as kingdom

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its been a while since i read it so the fights might not be good

since this is the shounen thread everyone who hasn't really ought to read zatch/gash bell because its shounen as gently caress and definitely has great fights all the way through

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 20, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Black clover being brutal and having a ridiculous pace at least gives it an edge for being generic as gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm enjoying hinomaru zumou its a shame sumo is so insanely corrupt that it sort of spoils things

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Area D finished and definitely gives the impression it was cancelled and forced to rush its ending

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the fact you're reading a manga where you thought it was plausible :chloe:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Magi would be epic if the Hogwarts arc wasnt like 150 chapters long. I keep reading a few chapters every now and then and I feel like its not even close to winding down. Serious shounen battle fatigue.

it was clearly massively interfered by an editor because everything else is really good and that arc d ragged on really badly in an out of place way

its really good after you get past that bad arc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the newest chapter of magi :eyepop: can't believe they got away with that in a shounen manga

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magi/Night-309?id=276358

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, something wonderful happened. Makoto Raiku has started up a new series, and it is a shounen fighting manga! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vector-Ball/Ch-001--What-the-hell-are-you-?id=276592

gently caress yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

he loves his equations lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

where are you reading it? i saw the first chapter linked and haven't noticed any since

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i stuck vector into the search bar and nothing came up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i get the feeling he's just seeing what he can get away with without being cancelled after having a successful series

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Using fermats last theorem as the basis of a joke was pretty bold. It also manages to make the stakes of the faudo arc really high without it then ruining the final arc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Erg posted:

Zatch Bell is so good and I loooove how intense the run up to the two final fights is

it manages to consistently up the stakes in a way that most manga don't manage

also those faces. i need mroe vector ball to read

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

new magi is good as is all since the stupid war. SJ needs to curb editor powers in a lot of cases

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Do editors really have that much power, and do they really use it for evil that often? The only major case of editorial interference I can remember a mangaka discussing openly is Toriyama's editor telling him that the Androids had crappy designs (and he had a point; 19 in particular looks awful), leading to Cell being introduced to replace them as the villain.

who knows but the entire war was a mess, really long and totally out of character for the rest of the series. It probably got great ratings so it was like 20 chapters instead of 5 or something

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You should it's really good but that bit was more just incomprehensible super moves not working for a lot of chapters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its gives bad adverts if you're on a phone

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

what kinda goober doesn't have adblock on their phone

what do you recommend becuase i asked in the android thread and got replies that there aren't any

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why do all shounen sports manga have "mystery can't exercise" illness and not just go the H2 route except its legit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

anime and manga are often incredibly guilty of the "mystery killer bloody cough disease" so a sports version isn't surprising.

one series that did it really, shockingly well was RIN. The sister's illness, while I don't believe it was ever named(though it seems like Parkinson's or something similar), is a degenerative brain disease that will inevitably make her into a vegetable, but she struggles against it as hard as she can. Straight up made me tear up at times.

like h2 had the main character misdiagnosed as a hosed up arm so he had to quit baseball which turned out to be a load of poo poo but just make it that instead of "mystery illness so gets tired insanely quickly"

they fell as a kid and hosed their shoulder and welp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this thread has me finally reading kekkaishi for the first time becuase for all the poo poo shounen i read those with boring sound powers i've ignored and this sounded boring

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i sort of remember shadow skill. was that ever a manga or shounen?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reading kekkaishi and lol

also was shadow skill ever any good/translated? i watched it years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I might end up being wrong but i'm shocked a shounen series killed someone so early on