Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
And for historical purposes, here's the previous thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me what the gently caress's going on with Tokyo Ghoul? :psyduck:

The three most recent chapters. No, i didn't cut any out. Take note of the upload date, too.

ninjaedit: Apparently it's supposed to be seinen? Eh, the question still stands.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's a thread for it and it's kinda hard to categorize, so i'll use this thread.

More Awkward Confessions Gone Wrong: the manga.

And appropriate BGM.

Dunno why i love this thing so much, but it has never disappointed me so far.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Today is the most enjoyable day

Yotsuba/Yanda slapfights are my favorite thing

Oh boy, is it a Yanda chapter? These are the only ones worth reading. :allears:

/edit: Yanda section was short, but good.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 27, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It started off interesting and promising, but somewhere around the "Gourmet" arc the whole thing just jumped the shark like a ballistic missile and blew up into a disgusting, disappointing trainwreck.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That chapter was p. bad, to be honest. Wasn't really a chapter so much as a list of names. Character, nameplate, character, nameplate, character, quip, nameplate, character, vague foreshadowing, nameplate.

I don't even remember any of the characters aside from gently caress boi and Kengan Hearts, let alone their names. It probably won't be neccessary since we learned basically nothing about them and we'll see them mentioned by name again when it's their time to shine, but man, what a waste of a chapter.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

New Promised Neverland.

I was a little worried but I like the way this turned out.

Can't believe that this little conversation took the entire chapter.
It'll probably turn out that Ray is Mama's son.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kengan Asura continues to be pretty entertaining in its quest to portray the world's most out-of-his-depth (or is he???) man.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the first match and it is already featuring the protagonist

Yeah, i can't wait for him to clown on FUCKboi.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
gently caress boi got a proper and bad rear end representation, not in small part owed to the artist actually living in America for a while, but lol if you really thought the foreigner was going to win against the tiny Asian in a manga

(i love the Reaper's hockey stick of death)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually just binged through that recently. Yeah, it's p. okay. Decently executed, each chapter has quite some meat to it so the like 36 chapters that are out will actually take some time to read.
Keep in mind that the characterization for the protag from the first one or two chapters basically vanishes shortly afterwards, so don't get too attached to "goofy positive dude who's bad at everything".
You need to get over the usual anime hurdles like a dude who runs around in underwear trying to marry two 14 year olds to each other, and wildly conflicting scales of power as the series marches on, but if you've been here for more than a decade, :shrug:

It's very much written in the moment, so there's a couple rear end pulls here and there, but the art is nice, the fights can be followed pretty well, it's refreshing to have a protagonist who looks like he could also play a villain, i like some of what they did with the female lead in terms of hardships and moral decisions later on, and then there's also Hatsune Demon:

edit: friendly warning, you'll get enormous whiplash from the little gaiden chapters, because they almost always follow right after some dramatic cliffhanger chapter
edit2: the major villain loving sucks, though

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 5, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I remember reading this bizarre manga some time ago with a similar premise in that the protagonist has a weird birthmark on his rear end that makes girls want to bang him. But there was a catch in that they'd immediately stop feeling that way after sleeping with him (and it would never work a second time). So he ends up constantly worrying if girls really like him or if they mistakenly saw his birthmark at some point. I remember it portraying his ability as this terrible thing that brought him nothing but suffering.

Now that you mention it, i remember something like that, too. I only remember it though, because one of the girls he meets was a stagehand at a Pendulum concert. :rock: At least i'm pretty sure that was the one.
All the "oh woe is me" was really stretching it though, yeah.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

z0glin Warchief posted:

I think it's this: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=47705

What I most remember about it is that the author did another story with the same sub-title about a high-powered career woman and the random dude she dates who eventually overcomes his insecurities about being a house husband.

Hm, i flipped through it to find the concert scene again, but i must have confused it with a different (and from what little i caught flipping, probably much better) manga.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, Isabella has friends in some really high places. Shoulda seen it coming, since everyone important is always related somehow, but the manga's pretty decent at showing various characters constructing schemes and shooting them down in (to them) unexpected ways.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VibrantPareidolia posted:

For a minute there I honestly thought you were talking about the sleepy princess manga :v:
I'm still thinking this tbh.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

It's better than I expected from the intro at least and monsters actually look unique/frightening. However I see a lack of interesting female characters other than his sister and the doctor. Also I completely forgot some of the supporting characters since they meet so many different people on their journey. The sense of humor w/expressions reminds me of the good days of Magi.

Sounds balanced to me, since the count of interesting male characters is also at two

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll give you Dark Souls man, but MC and scaredy-cat just about add up to one interesting character when put together. The swordsman's only defining feature is "showed up in chapter 1", i don't think that qualifies him.

The sister at least has some fantastic fight entrances sometimes, and some kind of hidden/unrealized thing going for her yet. Whatever it was that led to her setting her blood on fire. It was framed a little confusingly.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
DnD is a good translation tho

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

post-Bleach design aesthetic

What in the gently caress

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I checked that out yesterday and this page is pretty great

The rest, eeehhhh...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't check out more than a couple chapters before calling it tbh, and i don't care for Black Clover either, but i'll give it another shot tonight.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna read Stealth Symphony now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hori is violent and is amused by the thought of her usually careful and empathic boyfriend being a little rough with her in return. On any other topic this would count as playful teasing and it's definitely what Hori sees it as. It's just unfortunate that Miyamura is so obviously uncomfortable in indulging her on that. It doesn't come up very much though, and i've always felt that the reaction of most people here towards it was overblown. Horimiya is good.
Compared to basically every other "violent shoujo heroine" she at least gets called out on it and it's actually a part of her character instead of (solely) a vehicle for humor.

On another note, i found some rare baby pictures of the Gaping Dragon:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I stumbled upon something amusing. Trying to recall where i've seen this type of narration and setup before.... Hmmm...

Alternative working title: The Twilight Limits

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, these people seem starved

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's the occasional bath scenes, of course

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they're pretty good, but iirc, you'll get major mood whiplash when reading the tank extra chapters, since their fun wackiness almost always directly follows some kind of big dramatic cliffhanger.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The mangaka definitely wanted you to expect that twist tho, hence the above scene

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Smug McSparkleface is my new favorite character.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The author has a bad habit of "show, and then also tell in excruciating detail via narrator comments" that seems to get worse as time goes on.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit, stop making me want to read that dumpster fire

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sadly, people in fiction only ever really die when you see it happen. Anyone presumed dead is bound to show up again, always. Unless the series gets cancelled before the author gets there.

If an author actually goes through with killing a character off-screen, the audience always gets mad for some reason, despite them clamoring for "less clichés" (see Attack on Titan).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That sounds vaguely familiar, maybe i've read that before and forgot about it. Is that the one with Fatboy Slim?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't even understand what that means in this context

but the main character is a guy that can talk to animals and he finds a demon cat that gives him super powers. it's kinda like the author is answering the question of what if yoruichi had found ichigo instead of rukia

OK so i checked it and yeah it's exactly what i remembered:

Not sure what context you need for this

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I kinda love Real Account. There was some mess with the first go at it getting axed or switching magazines and the second try (aptly titled Real Account II) basically rebooting the story, rehashing some of the games, but later on also being, like a parallel story or something. But it's basically everything i look for in a death game story: brutal, sleazy, misanthropic, sometimes kinda clever. It parodies the social networking craze pretty well.

And yeah, that main character twist was amazing.

I sort of stopped reading it at some point, probably due to running out of translated chapters. I should check in whether it's done by now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
because putting on airs of apathy is extremely cool, dude

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah i saw it mentioned somewhere else here yesterday and took a look, i'm usually apprehensive about manhua becuase a) their translations tend to be not great and b) the content tends to either be dumb wish fulfillment or rely on knowledge of cultural or historical stuff. This one though, pure fantasy as mentioned, no prior knowledge needed and the translation is p. good, or at least it's p. good English.

It does have a pretty good flow, and things that seem confusing at first (like the other kids being really apprehensive about the girl's mom) do make sense later, and without the author feeling the need to cram the mystery's solution down your throat later in the same chapter. It's mostly comedy i guess, but does go into more "serious" fantasy beats lately. The comedy isn't outstanding, but i find it consistently entertaining.
My only complaint is that the author does occasionally rely on dumb tired comedy clichés like "haha, woman bad at cooking" or "haha, he called his wife fat and she's upset" but it's a minor complaint and really my only one so far.
He makes up for the former example by spinning it into a funny take about the protagonist's family just having literally no taste.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of generic shounen

Tag urself

i'm the smoking eye-tittied ballroom Micolash in the middle

next to me is my brother, the Lethal League candyman with his floating TWEWY pins

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You're welcome :D

It's good to see people like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
it's been literally a hundred years since sawyer has seen a young rosalie, people's memories fade over time, you tend to even forget your family's faces after like a decade

she could just be someone who looks sorta similar