Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's probably made worse by the line up of Alpha which only consists of the run off Plus One Piece, Toriko (which I don't have an opinion on) and the Monthlies (of which I'm putting One Punch Man in so we're clear). With Symphony gone all it is now is a slog to get to the one OP chapter and maybe Blue Exorcist / Seraph of The End and even at 50p an issue that's not great value IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

blastron posted:

Wow, I completely missed that the last chapter of Stealth Symphony was, actually, it's last chapter. It really felt like a penultimate chapter, where it ends on some huge climactic cliffhanger and then gets a final chapter to tie up all of the remaining plot, but, nope, apparently the now-insane protagonist gets decapitated and we smash-cut to black.
That's about the size of it, yes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Has My Hero Academia been posted yet? Because it's a new series by the guy who did "Barrage" and "Oumagadoki Zoo", this time it's about lots of people getting superpowers and becoming Western-style superheroes! I love this guy's frenetic style! Let's count down the weeks until he gets canceled again. :suicide:

It's got all the hallmarks of a lamb to the slaughter; Interesting world, an art style that doesn't make me want to puke, a theme that is Japan looking at itself and going "'the gently caress are you doing?" (Calling the abilities "Individually" is a tad on the nose but that nose has been asking for it for years). It looking like it won't go to a level of poo poo not even DC would touch?

It's a gonner.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh so it's how I suspect how the Nisekoi guy is going about things.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hum, that's some intresting developments that are happening there. Especially concidering Ban

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
JJBA all the way.

Seven Endings trumps None.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mischitary posted:

HxH is the biggest disappointment in the history of boys' Japanese comics. Not because it's bad, but because it's so good. To only get a few weeks worth of chapters a year is incredibly disappointing.
Honestly, between that and the guy just not giving a poo poo when it comes to drawing his comic just sours me on the whole endeavour.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For his foibles, Ken is something of a badass.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

He's pretty much been a mainstay in the manga scene continuously for 20+ years with multiple series, few other others ever make more then one big $$$ making work. It's pretty surprising that Ken has to put up with so much editorial poo poo when the HxH guy fucks off for months at a time and still has his contract.

IIRC; Ken hasn't had much in the way of interference for UQ so maybe him sinking Negima made his point perfectly clear.

I think I've made my opinion on Togashi (and Jump, by and large) perfectly clear in the past.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Dude still loves drawing naked girls, though.
He's paid his dues, he gets to play the blues.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Like two years ago or something I read through Kami sama no Iutoori which was an alright but not too great death game kind of deal and found out it had a sequel series and uh.

This is so loving trashy and dumb but I can't stop reading, characters just suddenly doing total 180s and turning into raving monsters and lunatics is hilarious to me. Is anyone else reading this pile because it's making me laugh.
That's the comic CR's releasing as "as the gods will", right?

That said, I have no patience for Death Game stories these days, Real Account (don't read it, it's arse) made an artform out of it. It's like the [C] of Death Game stories in it's pretentious attitudes, trying to be Black Mirror and utterly failing to understand why that's good.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 16, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Out of the two, I'd read 666 Satan again in a heartbeat.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm waiting for it to finish before I go through it myself. The story's not suited to reading it in fits and spurts.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Sure it is, that's just not your reading style.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I said between Naruto and 666 Satan I'd read the latter in reference to the two authors being brothers. I have no beef with FMA.

But hey, if you want to take the CQ talk out of that thread and into another thread and utterly derail it over a reading comprehension fuckup then we can go into a multiple page fracas over it and holding views about an Adult Swim non joke, story arc pacing issues and frustrating characterisation in the context of CQ.

I'd rather not do that, though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 27, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is there anything more aggressively boring in the Current (Translated) WSJ lineup than World Trigger? Because I don't think anything's happened in that comic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Actually, why the hell is so much effort dedicated to fighting other people with identical skill sets and weapons in world trigger when any real fights are guaranteed to be completely different? I can see doing it sometimes, as experience is experience, but that's all the training they ever do. Like, no classes on tactics, records of past (real) battles, magic bullshit physics, etc. They basically teach nothing aside from how to fight their own allies, and most certainly not how to cooperate with the dudes they were fake fighting the day before.
So, really, it's no wonder (Invasion arc) over 50 of Border's number wound up on the casualty list with at least six fatalities. That said, competence in a war-zone is not what anyone reading WT and making sure it stays high in the rankings is reading it for so it's totally OK.

WT is there to basically make sure that nothing good replaced Naruto as part of the big three.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 11, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I will never get bored of Ban and Meliodas' fratboy routine. It's just a joy to behold every single time :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd sure love the latest issue of WSJ to drop on Kindle, that'd be great right 'bout now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

No, On Kindle. I have a paperwhite and if you get WSJ anywhere else it won't sync to your Kindle's account (which is bollocks because Kindle contents sync to Comixology but not the other way around and is a massive pain in the balls)

Also I don't sub to WSJ because we (PAL region) get dicked out of the YuGiOh Cards (essentaly meaning we can't make back the cost via ebaying those) and I'm only really interested in reading the Jump Start stuff and could barely care less about anything that isn't MHA, OP or Food Wars which I just get on GNs on my kindle anyway.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 1, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

That's a screenshot from my Kindle Fire

No, Viz have been releasing WSJ on the Kindle's book store for a while now and given that syncs with my comixology libary that's where I get it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not sad for WT. It had a cool idea in there and it refuses to pull the trigger on it.

I really want to like TPN but I really need it to get to the opposite end of this current arc before I can call it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 20, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jose posted:

they're all going to get cancelled

Except the one that goes nowhere. Gotta have your series that goes loving nowhere.

Never leave the orphanage or the training grounds for there be intresting things beyond the walls and that just won't do.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Begemot posted:

The true prison was samsara all along.

The true prison is the Jump Offices.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If you were going to buy Jump this week for U19 I wouldn't bother.

The thing reads as someone's Pill Popping nightmare vision of Japan's nonsense (The P4 Kanji stuff, specifically) steeped in with the current US Political landscape and is about as subtle about it as I'm making it out to be.

FFS They have the bad guys running around with Nazi Armbands and would be a less obvious analogy if they screamed out "DOLF IS JUSTICE!" every panel.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 11, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Also Big Titty Cleopatra.

Always a bonus.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Fair enough. Honestly though if this is the best Jump has for its newcommers then they are in some deep poo poo.

That romcom was just aggressively ok at best.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 13, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Naw, that Gekiga-pretender poo poo is certainly not Jump.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

Okay, sorry for the double post, but what in the actual gently caress is JAGAAAAAAAN supposed to be? :stare:

Seinen from all indications.

Not very good Seinen but it is what it is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

Over/under on issues U19 will last? Since apparently Jump readers gobble trash right up, while hating good things.

Sods law sort of dictates this will be the thing that sticks. After all Jump is the same magazine that dragged Nisekoi out for 200 weeks somehow and allowed World Trigger which, by all rights, should be about traveling to alternertive Universes, to be "Hyperbolic Time Chamber, the comic book"

Also Medaka Box which has more of Nisioisin's poo poo in it than I'm comfertable with there being in any one thing (Which is to say any).

Crain posted:

It's even too heavy handed for that. Even as a teen I'd think that was patronizing.

Thing is that TPN, for all the issues that I have with that comic's pacing, got this right; you establish that the world is OK only to drop the protag right into the poo poo and reveal of it actually being a shitheap designed to Kill decanters by making their hearts bloom flowers (?) / Turn them into Mindless Drones / Matrix and go from there.

It's a lost art, that of subtlety.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 16, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I genuinely refuse to believe Nisekoi can be described as anything but aggressively poo poo and the author was deliberately pulling a Springtime for Hitler manouver in order to squeeze every last bitter penny out of shogakukan.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 16, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Indeed Medaka Box rules and I miss it.

Nothin is worse than explaining a joke you just made and that is that sod's entire writing style from cover to cover.

When the joke is "LOL JUMP IS THE PITS" that's just the cherry on top.

bondster posted:

Read U19, yea its loving terrible and not subtle at allllllll Grown Ups Party = G.U.P :cripes:
Oh god every time someone brings U19 up they find some new angle to the writing :cripes:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 17, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

The most interesting way U19 could go is for the protagonist to organize an uprising and take over the school in a coup, setting it up as an independent state.

Also :10bux: says that he actually has an even higher genetic result than his childhood friend (maybe quadruple-S or S-star or something), based on the fact that he didn't want to look at the result in the first place and he's apparently "special" so he can awaken libido problems.

Also also, can we get a name change for this thread?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > The Miscellaneous Shounen Thread: Shonen Jump Manga Death Watch

The most interesting way would be to make The Rulling Party right. That without thier guidance mankind is doomed to nothing but the struggle with not even a hole in the ground guaranteed at the end of the day.

That those with stands have the power to rule but not the knowledge and experience.

Make it a fight between an oppressive but safe Law or a free but blood soaked Chaos.

But that would require Nuance and Good Writing, both of which this comic (and Jump, by and large) are sorely lacking and with The Good For You party being aluded to as Nazis within page 8 of the story any chance of them being painted as anything less than cackling villians is nonexistent.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 18, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

We already know that they provide jobs/housing to everyone, and our limited view of outside characters (the main character's dad) seems to think it was a good idea. If they could just get rid of the "literal caste system" stuff it would be a pretty good society.

The problem is that if, to pull from history, it came out that demons were eating children in the U19 setting it wouldn't be a suprise because of the whole Nazi imagry and without a reveal like that to dismiss the society's good then it really just make the protagonist look like an arsewipe.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 19, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Compendium posted:

Just read U19. It's... Something alright.

I haven't really read much straight up shonen (mostly a SOL, josei/shoujo, fantasy, and/or comedy manga reader these days), so now that most of the major Jump series are done, it's really interesting to see what they're trying to fill the void up with and I find it fascinating how these premises try to one up each other in batshit or normalsauce.

All the good new shonen stuff doesn't run in Jump.

Astra: Lost In Space is fantastic and would be perfect for Jump but It's far safer being in Jump SQ.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah main jump seems to inundate itself with trash that just gets thrown out after about ten chapters.
Or ok stuff that tanks in ratings.

Yeah. Honestly it's just safer to buy the GNs and even that's a losing prospect if something goes completely tits up like HxH or Bleach.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Quite how it's kept it's reputation as the big one, given it's prone to author burnout (World Trigger, Bleach, HxH, Oda's had a few IIRC) and the series churn that frankly seems to run on the whims of a capricious god (Straighten Up had no business being ended this quickly, frankly, Food Wars shat it's bed in half with the two month long Hayama fight), is beyond me.

It sort of sums up everything that they were trying to sell up the fact they had six new series in succession in the Colour Page of We just Don't Learn.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 20, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

Reputation? It sells the most, so it's the big one, I guess?

Reputation as a good publication, not as what makes the most money.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On a brighter note Prince Poro's Diary was miles better and pretty great stuff all said. One Punch Man by way of a really adorable protag.

I said the same of Stealth Symphony so I fully expect for this comic to eat poo poo.

Also, Tsun Godzilla is genius.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 20, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

The new manga, Hungry Marie, from the author of Beelzebub is here!

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/hungry-marie/en/0/1/page/1

Was ok. Not Poro but not U19. A solid middle of the phonebook comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

New Promised Neverland chapter confirms the theory that the orphanage is inside a larger prison..

Well that was a fun 25 weeks. Oh well.