Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Angry Grimace posted:

and that Medaka Box will be ending in #24. Allegedly a new manga by Ohba/Obata (Death Note, Bakuman) will be coming out to replace one or both.

Nooo

But sweet new a new manga from them will be pretty good at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ZerodotJander posted:

Do other people here read Sports manga? Baby Steps, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Last Inning are 3 of my favorite ongoing series right now but nobody ever talks about them. Maybe I should make a Sports Manga megathread.

I've been enjoying Kuroko no Basket.

It hits the sweet spot that early Prince of Tennis hit.

Between DBZ The Last Half of Prince of Tennis and being grounded in reality.

Though seriously I don't know how if like standard fighting shonen, how you could hate Prince of Tennis.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 16, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eyeshield 21. Good jokes, wonderful art (Murata!), consistent character development. Has a pretty lovely final arc and a bit of awkward racism against black people.

As a Black person I am perfectly ok with them portraying me as better than every one else.

And it wasn't like Panther was even dumb or anything. He was pretty smart and well adjusted.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edit: I hate PoT because of how insufferably smug the main character is. I don't get angry easily, but that prick really pisses me off.

It's great. the Author literally has no reservations about how stupidly powerful the main character is.

He's the son of the greatest Japanese tennis player ever. He's going to be cocky.

Plus Everyone in that series besides was insufferably smug. At least Ryoma didn't start every match making the crowd chant his name.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Don't start reading Ippo. Read RRR instead.

Ippo is pretty loving awesome. It will never hit the highs of Takamura vs Hawk again. But It's still an awesome manga for the most part. Even better when you can blitz through chapters rather than reading one at a time.

AnonSpore posted:

Eyeshield 21 (American football) was the closest thing Jump ever got to repeat of Slam Dunk's popularity with sports, but unlike Slam Dunk which ended exactly as the creator intended, ES21 sort of overstayed its welcome and many people believe that the WSJ editorial department forced the story to continue until its popularity dropped enough to cancel it. Still a great manga, if a little more fantastic than the previous recommendations. It's notable for its art, which thanks to artist Murata Yuusuke's dedication and effort started out okay and then went on to be amazing. Also notable for never taking a single break over the entirety of its 300+ chapter, ~7 year run.

Kuroko no Basuke is another basketball manga, though this one is closer to the Prince of Tennis "The way I dunked the ball was so cool it literally started the ice age that drove the mammoths extinct" sort of fantastic I haven't read it myself so I can't comment beyond that but it's still running and very popular, especially with female readers.

Not to bash Eyeshield, as it is my favorite sports manga probably in my top 5 of all shonen, but Eyeshield is comically more over the top than Kuroko. It's closer to Prince of Tennis than any other manga on this list.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

In Eyeshield 21, they refer to the speed of light as the maximum speed a human can run at. Sort of silly, but they don't pretend anyone is really moving at light speed. If it was PoT, it would literally refer to the speed of light.

Technically in Prince of Tennis they don't do that. Even when the ball turns into electricity or something stupid like that it's still just a tennis ball.

The 3 things that really pushed PoT over the edge was, Kikumaru playing doubles by himself(jesus christ that was retarded), SOSA stage 1 and 3(2 could reasonably be explained away), and the KamehamehaHadokyuu

Also 4.2 is the maximum speed that those silly Nippon can run. The weightless run of a black man can hit 4.1 :smug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Manga Superstar Yusuke Murata -- yes, the OnePunch Man guy -- drew a one-shot titled Jump Super Stars featuring all the big name protagonists of WSJ mangas.

Yes it is every bit as awesome as you would imagine that to be.

That has to be old. As Jump Super Stars was out like 8 years ago.

Though they should make another one of those games. They were pretty fun. I imported Ultimate Stars when it came out.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 11, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://ex2.unixmanga.net/onlinereading/?image=Sket%20Dance/Sket%20Dance%20c254/001.jpg&server=nas.htmljj

Great Chapter of Sket Dance

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tsuna just doesn't want to be a mafia boss. He is far beyond the point where he's unwilling to fight, and unable to make friends.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well I'm sorry but the glass is half-empty on this one.

Regardless the fact remains if anyone else did that (which is to say submit chicken scratchings, then constantly go on hiatus) they would be fired on the spot (as is right and proper) and it's distressing seeing good manga cut in their prime (Double Arts, MxO, the one about the Zoo that fought other zoos I can't mind the name of) whilst Togashi gets a free ride and the person who did Double Arts is now 100+ chapters into a half baked Orange Road rip-off (-psychics, pretend to + Mobsters but not really) that, by all rights, shouldn't have mustered 50.

Those manga got cut off in their prime because they weren't popular. Togashi's poo poo is popular and manages to stay popular even when he takes a year off. Those manga's would have been canceled had HxH stayed consistent or not.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I'm reading the manga now (currently on the Freeza storyline) and it's a mixed bag. It's obvious in places that Toriyama is making things up as he goes along, the characters don't have much depth, and the fights can get pretty samey at times. I'd honestly consider it weaker than Naruto or Bleach overall (although Naruto has been pretty bad for a while lately). However, there's some really good stuff early on, and even in the Saiyan Saga things like teamwork and tactics still matter; it's not total crap like Reborn (yet?). If nothing else, I think it has historical value because of the ways it obviously inspired other series (particularly Hunter x Hunter, but obviously most shonen battle manga to some extent).

To defend Reborn the Vongola rings arc was great, and the first part of the future arc was real promising.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

I just love how Spear Hero is going out of his way to gently caress over the Shield Hero. Seems like a bit of an over-reaction to me.

"He picked the shittiest weapon I think he could? I must ruin his life forever."

Granted I don't play MMOs. Is that a normal reaction?

Yes, look into what people say and do about people who use an unoptimal build in dungeons and poo poo.

Also, Is this translated frequently cause holy poo poo I'm hooked.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

The chuunin exam arc was really good, and I think still stands up as the best long arc I've seen in that sort of series, with lots of plot progression and effective use of the series' large cast. The "rescue Sasuke" arc wasn't as good, but still decent. Everything after the timeskip has been awful, though, and I've only checked a new chapter every once in a while out of a vague "may as well see how it ends" feeling.

Eh, The Hidan and Kazuku/Shikamaru arc > pretty much any arc besides Zabuza. That arc was drat near perfect. The only flaws being the occasional interlude to Naruto training. And even those weren't that bad.
Also Flame of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho did the long tournament arc with plot progression better(If you want to count the Hunter Exam then that too, but that was the intro arc so shrug).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CVE posted:

New spin-off where Kuroko and the generaton of Miracles take on their own racist Americans. Remember all those glorious facts Eyeshield brought to us and wait to see them reimagined just with basketball this time :cheeky:

I freaking love Kuroko's, full disclosure I also loved Prince of Tennis throughout.

Racist disrespectful Americans are a troupe I can always get behind. It's a good cheap trope to get behind when you don't have time to introduce actual characterization for a group of people.

But shrug, This will be better than Eyeshield as, the players are are all just as cocky as the Americans (well besides Kuroko).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Author loves his Lewis Caroll.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

pentyne posted:

Yeah, but its always against other Americans. Plus its sports the US is internationally famous for, baseball, football, basketball, NASCAR, etc. If there was some US sports fiction about being the greatest soccer team it would be equally stupid.

I can't think of one of those cases where the Japanese team was shown to be outright better than the US team. Usually it's the same as our scrappy underdog stories, Your team full of outcasts who may not have the natural talent, but they have the heart will and determination to beat a team that looks down on them. Or the Japanese equivalent the samurai spirit or some poo poo.

This side story may be the closest you get to equal strength. In Kuroko's there are literally no players who are anywhere near the level of the Generation of Miracles(and Kagami) in Japan anyway. They already outclass the entire nation(And technically Kagami was raised and learned streetball in America). They were an aberration of talent hitting all in the same year, and same place.

I'm interested to see what they give the American team besides crazy streetball stuff, because the GoM and Kagami are really loving dumb power level wise. Midorima can hit a shot from literally anywhere on the court. Akashi, can read movements and instantly break ankles of anyone guarding him, Aomine can hit shots from any angle/position that he is in, and Kise can copy and mimic all of the other ones moves.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

What makes Fairy Tail distinctive isn't characterization (generic, occasionally derivative of One Piece specifically), plot (a mess at times), or art (blatantly stolen from One Piece), but pacing. Fairy Tail is one of the few shonen manga that doesn't occasionally suffer from the are-they-still-on-Namek problem.

Eh, that dudes Art has been pretty similar since Groove Adventure Rave. I wouldn't say it was stolen from One Piece. Or at the very least, his style has always been like Oda's.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rave Master got stuck in power level hell. Eventually, whenever a new villain showed up their designated opponent couldn't touch them until they got a power-up of some kind. It became incredibly repetitive, and it isn't like the story was good enough to make up for bad fights.

Mashima seems to have learned some lessons from that, at least. In FT, power levels are largely non-existent and most of the fights are quite good. Though naturally, the story is still hot garbage.

Not really, I recently reread Rave, The only person who really got unexplained powerups was Elie, but her whole character was based around the fact that she was the most powerful person in the world, she just didn't know her power/couldn't access it. You knew going in that Haru had 10 powers. Musica only got a power up when that chick died and he got her silver claimer. Sieg was stupid powerful from the jump, and got one powerup that made him stupid.

Rave didn't really have that many power ups. But Yeah, Rave's main problem was that his pacing is crazy fast so fights which should be built better are rushed, and can be anti-climactic. Fairy Tail looks like Bleach in terms of arc pacing compared to Rave.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

do you like huge tits because if so every single manga is for you

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is one of my favorite manga series and to find out that a group has recently been releasing chapters has brought me out of despair! Here's a sample chapter:http://bato.to/read/_/298177/sayonara-zetsubou-sensei_ch192_by_moy-moe-scanlations/1

SZS and how it pulled off it's ending was goddamn amazing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

pentyne posted:

It just seems to be a thing where different shounen authors have similar art styles besides having no connection, probably from working off a similar training background or drawing inspiration from the same source. On the other hand, Kishimoto's brother has a very similar art style but hasn't really had much success since his only major work was a Naruto meets Jewish Mysticism series that didn't even make it to 100 chapters.

Eh, 666 Satan was a monthly series. It lasted like 6 years. Which is pretty solid for almost any series. Then again FMA was a pretty big failure as it only made it to 108 chapters :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's not crap. But the ending was botched.

Death Note Ending spoilers

N and M only "won" because The dude who had otherwise listened and followed Lights orders perfectly and exactly decided to break that blind faith randomly and without being forced to.

It just felt cheap to me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kuroko no Basket Extra Game 02: Completely accurate portrayal of Americans inside.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I just wanted to complain about something that bothers me in the shounen comic Hitman Reborn. So, after Tsuna goes to the future he becomes strong enough to take down Byakuran, who literally no one else in the world could defeat. But then after the future arc he comes back and there's a part where his dad is kicking his rear end. If this is the case, why did his dad not also beat Byakuran in the future?

For some reason this bothers me worse than most plot holes/power creep in manga. Like, because they traveled to the future we very directly know that no one else was able to beat these guys that Tsuna and his posse ended up defeating, so it makes no sense at all that anyone else (short of maybe the arcobalenos, since they were all sick during the future arc) could beat them, particularly Tsuna's dad of all people. Unlike most people, I actually did not dislike the future arc (aside from the box weapon stuff) and thought it had a compelling setting and characters/villains, but it definitely makes everything that happens afterwards make no sense.

It's not written the best, but I love the characters and interactions in Reborn.

But yeah. You can't have the multidimensional enemy who has conquered every single other timeline. end up being a Mid-Boss and eventually joining the good guys.

The Simon arc should have been the first arc after the Vongola Rings arc. replace all of that earth ring poo poo with the normal poo poo they were using at the time.

The Future arc I did enjoy, up until they went full Toyetic, and had loving motorcycles accessories and poo poo. If they had skipped that pointless rear end mini arc battle. and just went straight to having to protect Uni, hide from Byakuran and get the Varia on board, right after the Irie reveal. It would have flowed much better.

Arcobaleno arc being afterwards is fine. As they averted the dark future, and everyone got their memories anyhow.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

What did you like about Reborn if not the characters?

I know, right? I feel weird about liking it since I know that it's generally considered one of the worst recent shounen series, but the main cast of characters just seem to go together really well in Reborn. Like, you really get the feeling that these guys are best buds who have been through a lot together, and Yamamoto in particular is just such a stand-up guy. I find that Mukuro, Hibari, and the Varia are also mostly really good Vegeta-esque anti-heroes (even though everyone's acceptance of Mukuro makes no sense in light of him committing all sorts of murder and atrocities).

One pretty big issue, however, that someone mentioned when I brought up Reborn in another thread is that it is super sexist. There are hardly any strong female characters. None of the strong fighting arcobaleno are female, none of the Varia are female, and only one of Byakuran's main 6 henchmen is female (I think she is the strongest woman in the entire series actually, despite not really being a big deal plot-wise). Chrome is the only one that is part of the main fighting cast, and she's super sickly all the time and usually needs to resort to summoning forth Mukuro. Like, it's way worse than even Naruto in this regard. They literally have the girls cook and clean for them during the whole future arc, with even Chrome at one point joining them to fulfill her destined role as a home-keeper.

Eh, Murkuro was never really accepted. Chrome was. Murkuro was tolerated in situations where they were hosed if he didn't help. Murkuro cared for protected and saved Chrome which usually ends up saving everyone.

The funny thing about that is that Akira Amano, the artist and writer is very much a female. But yeah. The females in this series are really really weak. But mostly this series got a much higher fanbase of fujioshi, so the male characters were all shoujo fodder by the future arc.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

What bothered me wasn't even that the female characters were weak so much as the weird attitude that even the stronger ones (like Lal Mirch) shouldn't fight. It was even somehow seen as worse for, say, Kyoko to fight than for Lambo, an actual child, to fight.

Oh I meant weak as in poorly done.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Black Clover continues to be really boring and formulaic in general but I just really like the one trend it bucks where the "Super Cool Badass Rival" character is actually really chill/nice and deeply respects the main character like...actually as a friend.

So I've finally got around reading this series, and it perfectly fills the Naruto sized whole in my weekly reading. And whoo boy is it Naruto. right down to Fight Choreography, and panel framing.

It's amusing enough. And I am a large sucker for stories about powerless people in a world full of power users. RIP Mx0 :smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard Black Clover takes "inspiration" from other series too.

Seems like a mix of Rave/Fairy Tail and Naruto.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh, Black Clover hasn't really been using Naruto villians. It's villians are pretty much all Rave/Fairy Tail It's main character is a Naruto(though it's not like Naruto is some original character archtype in manga), with but with Rock Lee's positioning powerset wise. Rival is a Non-rear end in a top hat Sasuke.

Black Clover's panel framing and combat reminds me heavily of Kishimoto's style, but it's story/villians and powersets are waaaay more Rave/Fairy Tail than Naruto.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Actually, why the hell is so much effort dedicated to fighting other people with identical skill sets and weapons in world trigger when any real fights are guaranteed to be completely different? I can see doing it sometimes, as experience is experience, but that's all the training they ever do. Like, no classes on tactics, records of past (real) battles, magic bullshit physics, etc. They basically teach nothing aside from how to fight their own allies, and most certainly not how to cooperate with the dudes they were fake fighting the day before.

Probably because it causes the best rankings for WSJ.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I bought it .As I said, it's a really good price and if nothing else, it will give me something to do until the Fullmetal Alchemist '03 blu-rays are released and shipped to me. Of course I hope to enjoy the series as well. If the protagonist isn't some Goku Clone like Naruto or Luffy or whatever, that's a good start.

MC is more of a Yusuke/Kuwabara clone

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

madmac posted:

OK, but she still learns to aim in literally her first fight after being introduced, no?

IIRC ihey gave her something to dampen her power and thus make it more controllable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That is Kishimoto's strong point in terms of panel choreography.

He is one of the best in terms of smaller scale 1v1 and 2v1/3v1 battles.

Once he starts adding in Susanoo's and Chakra Shroud's and constantly raising the scale of the fights that he runs into problems.

Sasuke vs Itachi(even though it started the Susanoo bullshit), Hidan vs Shikamaru, and Kakashi/Chouji/Ino vs Kazuku, Chiyo/Sakura vs Sasori. Sai/Naruto vs Yamato. Gaara/Lee vs Kimimaro

Even the smaller encounters like Tobi vs Minato are well plotted out.

Kishimoto is real good at human vs human combat. But for some reason decided to escalate this series to people creating and destroying moon sized objects.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jose posted:

psyren had good fights and should definitely have been a seinen series. imagine it was published in the same comic as kingdom

I've been meaning to reread Psyren and Mx0

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Medaka Box is bad, right? I'm looking for some fun shounen battle comic to read.

It's not bad a personal favorite of mine really. But you have to be able to appreciate the fact that they made an unabashed mary sue the main character and made it work spectacularly.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 25, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Medaka-Box/Ch-126--What-s-Important-in-Someone-s-Heart-Is?id=96537

Yeah gently caress it this series is fantastic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

New One-Shot Manga by Fujimaki Tadatoshi(Kuroko no Basket's Author) Vanguard of Archer.

http://readms.com/r/one_shot/Vanguard%20of%20Archer/3162/1

Seems pretty cool, I've always liked his art. And I'm a sucker for any series or game where the main weapon is a bow and arrow.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

By the way, I don't think anyone here has discussed the twist at the end of the most recent Promised Neverland yet. I'm not completely clear what Norman's thought process here is. I'll have to go back to previous chapters and check what Emma and Norman said to Ray about the ropes.

It's early enough in the series's run that a twist like this is a real possibility, although there's also a possibility of it being a fake-out.

It's probably this

Remember how he said he was testing his group for moles. He was testing everyone. Besides Emma who he absolutely knows isn't a mole.
He told Ray that he told the other two people two different locations. Giving Ray those two locations. But he probably told everyone different locations including Ray(well Ray got 2).

So when Ray snitched trying to frame the other kid for it, Norman who told him fake information found the correct mole.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Demon's Plan seems pretty generic and potentially annoying to me. Remember the parts of Naruto where Naruto moped about Sasuke turning evil? Does anyone actually want to read more of that sort of thing?

Sure?

Like at least they set up their relationship early as hell, and thus given the reader proof that these two people at some point in time were actual real friends and had a close bond. Rather than shoehorning in flashbacks after the fact.

The Premise is interesting, they managed to create a world I find interesting enough(even if it is just a generic YA dystopia). And Both characters had been characterized pretty well for one introduction chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Boruto is being written by someone else.

Well. Once they stop just redoing the movie it will be.

Kishi I think was involved in the movie's plot. But past that it's all the assistant that took over.