Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pierson posted:

Still not sure how to feel about Ghostwriter. He's plagarising! But he feels really bad about it! But he did it anyway! He's about to face the person he's plagarising from! Through a wacky misunderstanding she doesn't mind! Even though he never came out and admitted he stole it! They are rivals now, even though he has zero imagination or skill and she should very literally have his job!

Decide already!

Yeah I'm not sure either on it. The first chapter hit me hard personally, as I'm in a similar boat to how he was - been trying to get into a creative field for years with no luck, despite trying my hardest. I've had many moments where I just wanted lay on the floor and scream I QUIT just like he was about to. I think there's still a lot of potentially interesting storytelling there - either him learning what it really takes to be an artist and actually improving, or even learning to accept that he actually doesn't have what it takes and moving on with life, or even him learning how to be a successful artist through his own methods, ironically stumbling into a story only he can tell.

However, after the last chapter I'm not fully sure if it'll go that direction, or really what direction it'll go in. I'll probably keep reading, but may drop it depending on where it heads. I wasn't crazy on Agravity Boys at first, but it's definitely won me over so I'll give this it's fair chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

There's something off-putting about Ghostwriter MC's belief that he doesn't have a message to tell to his readers, and that he just wants to draw what he wants while appealing to everyone. I can't help but be reminded of Comicsgate and how they want comics to be devoid of messages and politics and exist to entertain them with boobs and asses. To a lesser extent, a manga without any message in it and has been focus group'd to try and appeal to everyone is basically just Black Clover.

And while the high school girl has the same belief as the MC, it did take her ten years of constantly reworking the concept for her manga until it became a hit series, so I assume she learned how to grow past that belief and found a message she wanted to say in her work during those ten years.

The main character started out as very sympathetic but his actions so far have been really... questionable. He knows he plagiarized someone's work but he feels so bad about it you guysssss :( He tries confessing what he did to the high school girl, but she didn't believe him so that's that, I suppose. There's definitely no use showing her the time machine or the future Jump issues in question, or anything.

I haven't necessarily interpreted his "I have nothing to say" statements quite as negatively as you. It's never felt to me like he's arguing that manga shouldn't have a message, but rather he doesn't really "get" how to put a message in his manga that works, and so is kind of trying to just go without one. Like, he wants to make a manga that'll make people happy, but he doesn't have any messages or statements he wants to put in his manga, so he'll just make an entertaining manga without a message! Like, it wouldn't surprise me if he would read something like One Punch Man and all he'd get out of it is "lol funny joke comic with cool punch spreads" and not get any of the themes about what makes a true hero, corruption, etc. I think there's the potential for the story to go in a direction where he actually does find a message he wants to convey, and then struggles to figure out how to properly convey and articulate it, etc. I actually think that'd be a really cool idea for a story, and would be helpful to aspiring artists and storytellers, but I'm not fully sure that's where it's going.

He does seem fully willing to give up the story though, and has tried to tell others about it, but yeah it also comes off as him not trying all THAT hard, since he finally has found success at his dream job. I'm going to guess at some point the time machine microwave is going to short out, and he'll reach a point where he has to come up with the ideas, and that's where things will get shaky. But who knows, maybe by then he'll be good enough friends with the actual author to just literally be a ghost writer for her.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

You have a point in that he's not arguing that a comic shouldn't have a message. even if it still rubs me the wrong way. This being the shonen genre, I can't help but think that his declaration of making a great manga despite being unable to come up with a message will be treated like a grand dream he'll fulfill in the end, rather than a viewpoint that gets challenged and he grows out of. I guess the problem is that the directions you and the others came up with all need this to be a character development-based story, but a shonen manga, it seems to be going down the rivalry route instead.

Yeah I am being fairly optimistic with my predictions, and they are more fitting for seinen manga rather than shonen. Guess we'll see what happens!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Loving Mashle and Bone Collection, but Agravity Boys is probably my favorite newer series at the moment. Every chapter is great and I'm legit shocked how well it's tying things from previous chapters together in hilarious ways. I never would have guessed that such a goofy gaga manga would have such a well-intertwined story.

Really meh on Ghostwriter though, which is a shame after it's great first chapter. Bone Collection is surprising me too since it initially seemed like fairly generic Shonen, but is so fun. Guardian of the Witch was also pretty generic so maybe I should give that another chance too.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 7, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I'll keep reading Ghostwriter cus I really want to see where it goes, it has a lot of potential. The arts good too! Unfortunately, it seems like it can also very easily go off in some mediocre directions, too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
All the usual are still great.

Guardian of the Witch ended so abruptly, it's kind of hilarious. Didn't even make it to 20 chapters. I only recently started following jump week to week, but it's kind of sad seeing how suddenly it ended. Did the author not know it was going to be the end until just this chapter, I wonder?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ConanThe3rd posted:

That said, if Ghost Plagerist doesn't do anything drastic it's going to be gone sooner rather than later.

Yeah definitely. This week's chap was interesting at least, powering through what's basically a time skip and ending off fairly interestingly. We'll see where it goes but I haven't got super high hopes.

When series get axed, how much warning do the authors get, anyways?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not sure about Ghostwriter, but it's definitely going in a direction!

Agravity Boys and Bone Collection continue with fun goofy chapters. Bone Collection just flew by this week.

Magu is cute I guess.

Ayakashi Triangle continues to be excessively generic and excessively horny. And possibly homophobic??

Cop Dolphin himself is neat, but hoooo booooy that's a big yikes to release right now. Lessons such as "regulations keep real cops from doing their jobs!" and "cops need to shoot their guns when they're not supposed to in order to save innocent lives!" are really rough right about now.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Didn't give a poo poo to read cop manga this week.

Still not sure on ghostwriter, just like every week. I was starting to get invested in how he'd improve White Knight, since the first chapter he did was slightly questionable, but then it jumped ahead six months?? I thought for a moment the series got canceled lol. Kind of a weird timeskip too, I would think him learning to improve White Knight while Aino worked on her new manga, but I guess maybe that's where it'll go now - the two manga vs each other. I really liked the "shadow" of his doubt talking back at him, why don't we get more of that??

Best week of Magu so far. Not amazing but had some good jokes. I audibly chuckled when Magu walked into the convenience store

Roboco owns.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Remember that one manga series that translated "lolicon" as "pedophile" and all the weirdos lost their minds over it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Glad to see Okuyasu is getting work in Agravity Boys.

Ghostwriter: Y'know, one thing I actually like about Ghostwriter is I never know what any chapter will be like. There's definitely no "normal" chapter for the series. I'm not totally sure if that's necessarily a good thing, but it is kind of fun. Old man is definitely protagonist from the future though, guess he figured out time travel more directly.

Roboco continues to be the best comedy manga, goddamn. Every chapter is gold. Tendies! Madokaaaaa! Roboco's changing panties! Fukamoto references!

Mashle is fun, but is kinda losing me. The gags are fun, but it's kinda just turning into a generic fight manga. I wonder if it's trying to shift away from all the other gag manga running right now, but it's just gunna get lost in the other (better) action manga.

Bone Collection Wow poo poo got brutal fast, especially for a relatively light and goofy manga.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Boco_T posted:

I thought the Planetes premise of Monster #8 was very interesting but it's obviously going to change immediately into being about fighting the monsters and I don't know how long I'll really stick around for that. But at least I got to read one good chapter.

Yeah I like the concept of Kaiju Clean-up Crew, I'll be a bit sad if it just turns into monster of the week shonen fights or protag trying oh so hard to get into <elite squad> but he just isn't cut out for it but he'll keep trying!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't really mind the 3 month gap much but it's definitely going in a much more generic shonen direction than the first chapter's impression. I foresee lots of wacky characters in this minor arc that's the test, then some more wacky ones introduced when he gets accepted into the academy or whatever, then maybe we'll get some major antagonist reveal that'll lurk in the background for most of the time as he goes through training to become a monster hunter or whatever. Sprinkle in with various scenes of him trying not to be revealed as a monster but still needs to use the power to perform well etc.

I'm hoping it won't be that predictable but I already have like, seen the entire manga in my head.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, what the gently caress even is Ghostwriter anymore? At first I thought it might be speeding up due to looming cancelation, but I think it just has really weird pacing. It really isn't fond of building up any kind of emotional tension.

Roboco continues being great though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao apparently the tankobon for ghostwriter is changing some of the dialogue? Working on a really bad translation now

https://twitter.com/gehaSyaki/status/1290279374420193280?s=20

lovely translation of the first panel, specifically his thought bubble (since that's what changed) -
old: I’m sorry! I’m really just a lousy plagiarist.
new: I had to stupidly think it was just a dream

lovely translation of the second panel -
old: I couldn’t just blurt out “The truth is I copied a jump sent from the future”
new: If I blurted out that I had a time machine, I’d be labeled an idiot!

Soooo it seems to try and maybe be a little more sympathetic towards protag? Making him not as easily admit to just striaght-up copying, and making him feel a bit more trapped by society. My rough translation of the tweet's text itself seems to maybe more imply it might be to bring his thoughts in line with later chapters?

translated tweet text: The tankobon release is improving the protagonist's circumstances with the unfolding plot

My japanese is rough so hopefully someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. Is this a common thing with tankobon releases?

(also the comments on that tweet joke about how it's headed towards cancelation lol)

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 3, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Roboco gets better every month, hot drat. This is the most I've audibly laughed at a single manga chapter in quite a while.

Agravity Boys is good, I laughed at HB's "here's a space stag beetle, I'm sure you guys can have some zany fun with this!" - the Top Tank gag was great too. Also funny that it seems to be poking fun at itself about the possibility of being canceled, since it seems to not be doing great?

Ghostwriter definitely feels like it's headed towards cancelation, feels like we got an entire arc's worth of exposition in a single chapter. I was actually thinking this may have been the finale. It's a shame that this series is so rushed, because I feel like if it was taking its time and had a likable cast it could be really good, the whole concept of the story being someone trying to prevent Aino's death is really cool! Too bad this is all we got.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mulderman posted:

This was amazing.

The follow-up gag about Ayakashi Triangle was great too. This whole chapter was great!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah when that Kyubi showed up, killed everyone and Paira and Kazqmi suddenly unlocked ultimate power it felt like an axe looming.
And these last eps really felt like it
I'm not sure how I feel about it, it's been hitting it's stride lately and been pretty funny. But it's pretty generic and I can't make heads nor tails of the messy art.

And I say generic, but that bone wedding was fantastic.

Yeah Bone Wedding and Bone Motorcycle were both hilarious, and Bone Vacuum was funny too. I'll be sad if it's dying, cus I love the idea of it doing more dumbass bullshit like this in the future.

Sad about Mitama though, not my favorite gag manga but it was always very charming and pure, good for a pick-me-up when feeling down.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 11, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I haven't read promised never land, but that was pretty good! Wouldn't mind seeing it as a series

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Clarste posted:

I like how every single chapter ends with a revelation that changes our understanding of the world completely.

Every. Single. Chapter.

I started reading based on this post and I'm like 8 chapters in and Holy poo poo this is great.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

New chapter of Kaiju 8. :tviv:

It's something else and does everything right.
Viz
Mangaplus

The punch is real good, as are his PWEASE DON'T TELL ANYBODY moments, but ehh I'm not holding high hopes for it. Her fainting could easily lead to "oh, i had a weird dream that he transformed into a monster!" write off, but even if it doesn't do that I could see it instead just being tsundere bratty girl who totally hates the protag but he saved her so she's gotta keep his secret under wraps, she definitely doesn't like him or anything!! Either way he's managed to mostly not be spotted going monster mode, so the status quo still isn't getting really shaken up, and it was already heading in a fairly generic action shonen direction.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

I'm still liking that series just because it's novel to have an adult in his 30s as the protagonist (and I also like the art so far).

Totally agreed! Though it's kind of funny that he's sort of treated as a washed up old man

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kingtheninja posted:

Bone collection is done, not surprising but I enjoyed how weird it was.

Yeah, this chapter was great! I'm sad to see it go. It had s much personality for such a generic premise

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

Magu-chan: I love how this new kid looks like someone's OC; He's even got two-toned hair, heterochromia and a super special eye. :allears:

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin: I'm gonna drop this one. I thought it'd get less ACAB as time goes on, but it only gets worse. Last week was pure sexual harassment on the lady cop, and the start of the current chapter has the hard-boiled cop not believing a distressed citizen's plea for help and thinking they were crazy.

Ghostwriter: I guess the MC has a message he wants to convey in his manga now, or at least something he wants to say to Aino? On the other hand, this really just stinks of a guy getting all the advantages to succeed over a more talented woman.

lol glad I didn't stick with Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin after the second chapter.

Speaking of bad manga, has anyone kept up with Ghost Reaper Girl? That very pedophilic first chapter was so creepy I didn't even bother finishing it. Has it improved at all since then?

Ghostwriter: Interesting chapter, I'm guessing the message he wants to convey is that life is precious and shouldn't be wasted, or something similar. It wouldn't surprise me if this is heading towards a finale, but I've been wondering that for weeks now so who knows.

Roboco continues to own hard

Agravity boys was fantastic this week too, I'm glad it's back in the swing of things. I kinda feel bad though, like maybe the artist was trying to do something more serious with the flashback arc, but when that didn't work they had to go back to the comedy schtick. Either way it's a good schtick, so I hope they're still enjoying it!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Such wasted potential

Kind of poetic with the source material, really

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

I seem to recall reading once that the order in the pages also somewhat shows how popular a series is. In which case a gravity boys and Moriking are apparently worst.
No idea if there was any truth to that

From what I've heard, this is only partially true. Some people treat the Table of Contents as a literal ranking of how popular a series is, which is NOT true. The ToC is determined by one of the lead editors of the magazine, and their method for ordering hasn't ever been fully explained as far as I know.

That being said, I find it likely that the more popular series will tend to be put near the front, as those will likely be the headliners and most noticeable series. Stuff in the back probably won't be as read by either weekly subscribers or people just flipping through it in the magazine rack, so it's likely the less popular series are put back there. I would say it's probably not unreasonable to assume that if a series is consistently placed near the end of each issue, it may not be super popular, but I wouldn't use specific placements to say SERIES X IS BETTER THAN SERIES Y CUS IT'S ONE SPOT ABOVE IT ON THE TOC. If being near the end of the ToC really is a sign of bad ratings, it's a drat shame for Agravity Boys - and maybe Moriking but I could never really get into it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Sorry for double post but there's a new chapter of The Vertical World today and

Clarste posted:

I like how every single chapter ends with a revelation that changes our understanding of the world completely.

Every. Single. Chapter.

EVERY. SINGLE. CHAPTER.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hypocrisy posted:

A bit of a shame given the author's history but the idea was kind of unworkable in Shonen Jump.

I think the idea was perfectly workable, it's just the main character was totally unlikable and the most interesting parts of the premise were dropped immediately. The story also couldn't sit still for more than like two chapters, skipping over huge chunks that could have been used for interesting character development to try to rush the story along towards...well, nothing really. I feel like almost everyone could relate to that phenomenal first chapter, and Aino as a character was surprisingly likable - having her be included as an assistant was a neat idea. Develop the story from there to include him learning how to actually improve his art and his craft, actually learn the skills necessary to do what he couldn't. Develop the relationship between him and Aino as friends and eventually rivals as she gets her own manga. Etc etc. "Learning to be a great artist" is not all that much different from "learning to be a great fighter" or "learning to be a great volleyball player" or "learning to be a great hero" or whatever, but it needs to be well structured and written, which Ghostwriter wasn't.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
For the longest time while reading Helck, I was CONVINCED that the portal had shunted them forward in time. I was kinda sad when that wasn't the case, but the series was good anyways so who cares

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

Ghostwriter's main problem is that instead of trying to focus on making a good story, it was too obsessed trying to justify the MC's actions as a heroic plagiarist. The story was doomed by chapter 2, when the MC justified stealing White Knight by saying he's now obligated to tell that story to the fans, as well as not explaining the time travel deal to Aino in a decent manner. If the author just buried the MC and focused on Aino, or that one assistant who had given up on going pro but got inspired to try again by White Knight, then maybe the story could have gone on a better direction.

Also, despite being a manga about making manga, we never really see pages of White Knight or Anima, unlike in Bakuman. It's hard to believe that White Knight or Anima are these amazing "manga that have no message in it" when we don't get a sneak peek at it. Most importantly, Ghostwriter just completely fails to make creating manga look fun or engaging. The MC always looks stressed and miserable as he draws, and Aino's chapter shows she lost her spark on why she made manga in the first place.

All very good points. I actually disagree with showing the manga though, I think with how monumentally good White Knight is supposed to be, leaving it mostly up to your imagination was a good move.

That being said, what you posted in bold is 100% spot on. Why didn't they have scenes explaining how manga gets made? Why didn't they have scenes discussing how panel and speech bubble layout can make a huge impact? Why didn't they show how composition can be used to lead the eye around? Etc. If they couldn't make interesting characters, they easily could have included interesting info about what makes a good manga that most readers won't know about.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1298960750724214787?s=20

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh poo poo, an extra chapter of Mitama Secureity!

Ghostwriter ended in the most boring and predictable way possible, yawn.

Phantom Seer has potential, the characters are kinda fun and the art is good. I hope it explores the idea of "your hopes and talents not aligning" since that's an interesting idea.

Big month for ghosts!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Bone Collection looked great. It was cartoony but was well drawn

RIP bone collection

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Professorjuggalo posted:

High school family is still holding up as the funniest gag manga I’ve read in a long time

I don't mind it as much as the rest of the thread does but man it doesn't hold a candle to roboco

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

BASE
BALL
EPISODE
BASE
BALL
EPISODE

And yeah re: Mashle. The main characters all have an easy to recognize look, but everyone else suffers a from same face.

Um it's clearly Bass Ball, it's a completely different sport

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The translation for this week's Roboco is legitimately impressive. Just pun after pun after pun - the entire time I was waiting for a TL note to explain some joke that really couldn't be localized, but man the translator knocked it out of the park.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Holy poo poo the punchline at the end of this week's Roboco was fantastic, hardest I've laughed at the series yet.

The localization also continues to be very impressive!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Mashle was losing me for a bit with some of the more serious chapters, but the last couple have definitely gotten me back on board again. I think it's weakest when it's trying to be a more traditional fight manga, but when it embraces its comedy for its fights it hits a lot harder, both in terms of laughs and in terms of drama in my opinion. When it tries to get too serious (mostly with side characters) then it kind of starts falling flat because they aren't really well developed enough to get that invested in, and their fighting styles aren't all that interesting to watch.

The last couple chaps have definitely won me back over though, especially this week's. Those last few steps were fantastic.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was definitely hesitant on the series during the test section but yeah this chapter is headed in a good direction, hopefully it keeps up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just seems like a very weak justification for why this is his last chance to live out his dream.

It does shine a funny light on how Shonen protagonists always act like brash people in their early 20s though, regardless of their actual age.