Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk why I'm still reading this robot laserbeam thing because it's not great

now there are golf delinquents harassing a caddy and the protagonist is gonna fight them in golf and the concept of gold delinquents is at least amusing to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hopeford posted:

One reason I can't get into sports manga like the Laser Robot one is that the sports themselves are being described by an observer with an outside understanding of the sport. Like they always try to make the entire world appear to revolve around the sport, no matter how minor, and it comes off as strangely phony. It's not even the lack of realism in the sport, it's more the lack of realism in the characters' thoughts regarding the sport that get to me.

One of the few mangas that didn't do that was Baby Steps - that really nailed the feeling of being in a competitive sport and it's on point enough that I wonder if the author didn't have personal experience with it.

well the sport matters to the characters so obviously they're gonna be way into it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what happens to tsukasa's ideology when he turns 18 or w/e the age of majority is in japan

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the flashback has only been 2 chapters long

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it should take the obvious choice of none of them getting together because the only one with social skills isn't interested

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dr stone still cool as gently caress
Best faces in jump rn.

yea it's great and I hope it's doing well enough to not get cancelled

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dexo posted:

I mean you're half right.

Souma has the best faces in jump like full stop.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hopeford posted:

Man I'm trying to get into Robot x Laserbeam, but I might be too prejudiced against golf. Not that I don't like golf, just that I'm having so much trouble buying that a dude is calling himself "THE EMPEROR" and trying to appear super creepy. Like, it's just such a chill sport that the big personalities don't seem to fit. I'm like "What about golf attracted this type of person?"

it's not great but the concept of golf hooligans was really funny to me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I know you can reply with "it's a loving manga" but this seems to be grounded much more in reality with it's setting than something like Mob Psycho 100.

weird joke but, hell, I'll allow it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

read through all of black torch recently (there's not a lot) and it's pretty good. it's kinda like early bleach if yoruichi had found ichigo instead of rukia

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hungry marie is good (definitely better than, say, robot x laserbeam) and that author should probably just find a different magazine if he gets cancelled again. tho if he does get cancelled and has to start over again, I hope he can prove he has more character designs :v:

HenryEx posted:

That sounds vaguely familiar, maybe i've read that before and forgot about it. Is that the one with Fatboy Slim?

I don't even understand what that means in this context

but the main character is a guy that can talk to animals and he finds a demon cat that gives him super powers. it's kinda like the author is answering the question of what if yoruichi had found ichigo instead of rukia

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe but I don't remember sailor moon very well. you could probably draw parallels like that to a lot of things; black torch isn't particularly original

it feels a lot like early bleach tho. it was one of my first thoughts on reading it. tho instead of joining spirit samurai, the protagonist joins magic ninjas

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can't possibly expect people to remember what some throwaway villains from months ago had on their clothes

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fishman island through dressrosa is the weakest stretch in one piece but zou and whole cake island are some of the best it's ever been. you dropped out at the wrong time imo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the cliff notes version isn't as interesting or helpful tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

does it look worse than deadman wonderland? I remember the art being fine there

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one thing I don't like about the art is all of it

idk why but I just really do not like the way claymore looks and never have

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the firefighter thing barely felt coherent, let alone good from what I read of it

the name is also pretty stupid. it's like fire brigade of flame or something?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk where you heard that the final arc was less bad but it's par for the course with fairy tail

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's too bad. it wasn't as good as beelzebub but I still liked it

it was better than robot x laserbeam anyway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Thats no metric. If the Japanese readers took to U19 hard we'd still have that bum huffing waste of 17 pages stanking up the comic regardless of quality.

I know it's based on popularity. what I'm saying is that I wish something else had gotten the axe instead

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a subpar shonen that does nothing particularly new or interesting. unless you're desperate for a new shonen series, you can safely skip it

that chapter is great but it doesn't require context to work

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

hinomaru zumou is really good and its a shame its releases are so random

yea it's a cool sports manga. never thought I'd care about anything related to sumo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

I'm rooting for teach.

Even moreso after the newest chapter.

hmm bold choice, let's check her chances

not looking good buddy

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hungry marie was a comedy with some action like beelzebub, tho it leaned more into the comedy part

it was pretty good, rip in piece

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yu yu hakusho has gotta be up there

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea unless the author always thought of this part as a prologue to the real beginning of the story, this feels odd. a 3 year time skip 30 chapters in seems pretty out of the norm

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it seems alright. pretty standard fair but fun

The Lord of Hats posted:

Latest chapter of Robot x Laserbeam really doesn't fill me with confidence in the series' direction.

it fills me with confidence in the author's love of helicopters. also everyone looks exactly the same after the time skip

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Why is nobody supporting the teacher.

Swimmer girl lost my support the moment she chose to back down.

Even though I can totally understand her reasons for doing so!

probably because the main guy is a minor and she isn't

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it is. the ending is a bit of a wet fart tho and it's so weird that the final arc focused on the characters it did. where the hammerheads and erina so popular that they needed the final mini arc to themselves?

actually I started reading crows after the translation for clover ended and it's a pretty fun read too

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Harem manga are good for when I want to read something more relatable

so you're after a guy you have no chance with and never got over it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

can't believe this is still here and hungry marie got canned

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he hasn't been allowed to exist on his own yet so I'm willing to give him some time. his dad feels more like the main character than noah at this point

it feels a lot like black clover to me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

birdmen is good and I wish it updated more often

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

golem hearts will likely never stop being cliche as hell

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dexo posted:

But no loving way is it possible for someone to be thaaaat oblivious.

this is the tagline for the whole genre

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this looks a lot better than claymore did, tho I really didn't like how claymore looked so I'm probably biased

what kind of monster names their daughter meme

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every harem thing would be vastly improved if it stopped being a harem thing tbh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

been thinking about rewatching yuyu hakusho and this is a good excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

McTimmy posted:

My schools used U and E for the lowest grade. F was reserved for too few days to properly grade or something.

what the gently caress