Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We Never Learn is a dumb fun series but I think the thing I enjoy the most about it is that while the romantic angle is obviously the primary vector through which we experience the story, it is none of the characters' primary goal. Every single main character has very clear wants and needs outside of getting together with the main character and it makes it possible to root for them even if you don't want them to "win." It's really well-handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soma tones down the fanservice really early once it gets popular.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's good OP

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh wow, I never knew about that second part. That does really suck, especially since EL is the second half of a subplot and you need to see Water 7 to understand or care about any of it.

They did show Water 7

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Seems pretty clear at this point that Uruka is the end game. Kinda interesting since, IIRC, she was actually the third girl introduced.

Still thinking it's gonna be Fumino tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you subscribe to WSJ through Viz it's $1.99 a month and you can read 100 chapters a day (which makes me wonder why they have a limit at all, unless it's just to keep bots from automatically scanning their archives and uploading them or something like that). That would include the entire back catalog of TPN.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, We Never Learn is done loving around

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rip fumino

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just wanted Fumino because she was the most compelling character with the best chemistry and I'm a sucker for the totally unselfish girls.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At this point, probably because it's clearly almost over.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I totally disagree that this is necessarily a bad thing. As someone posted earlier, this Uruka ending is already kind of profoundly unsatisfying if you care about any of the other girls because none of them even got to confess. It wasn't even really a choice in the end.

I also find it kind of weird that people are acting like it could only possibly have ever been Uruka, because lmao, come on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I'm fine with this, again because the "original" ending feels kind of incomplete. It's funny seeing Uruka shippers freak out that anyone else is even getting acknowledged though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I keep seeing people saying it's like a VN but in those you usually spend like a good 50% of the game in a specific characters route, it doesn't diverge right at the end.

Even if each character gets a volume to themselves that's still kinda less effort than your average dating sim gives.

Well, let's consider the format of manga: it's serialized fiction. If they did "routes" like in a visual novel, then people would rightfully complain that the other characters got little to no development for months or years on end. I think it's a sensible comparison if you make allowances for the medium.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I disagree that she doesn't have the right chemistry, but also she's by far the most compelling character

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Holy poo poo the number of characters just loving quadrupled.

I've never read Bleach, but based on what I've heard this happens like eight times

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

god it's gonna be so loving bad

meat chainsaw

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Food Hitler wasn't the peak of the series or anything but it honestly didn't bother me that much. To use a phrase I've said before, the point where SnS jumps the shark directly into its own rear end in a top hat is the next arc where they just drop literally any remaining pretense of having this be about semi-plausible cooking and have the villains do poo poo like this:

Ibblebibble posted:

Shokugeki lost me with the evil clown that cooked via high-speed juggling.

and the guy who uses a chainsaw to tenderize meat or whatever. I thought it was stupid and funny at the time but it legitimately kind of pisses me off in retrospect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fuminowns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look what got delivered to me in time for this week's We Never Learn! :3:

I'm sad Fumino has to feel like this even in her own arc :smith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't want the sad, please stop making Fumino sad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fuminowns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

also the "snake" thing is more than a little gross outside of the context of a presidential primary (and one could argue even within it)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pretty sure the explicit goal is Senpai then Sensei after Fumino.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fumino is my favorite character and the one who I felt had the best romantic chemistry. I wasn't considering Senpai much at all but that arc that just finished was good enough to make me appreciate the pairing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish I liked HxH

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah One Piece rules

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think one thing that people need to realize is that the worldbuilding is largely the point of modern One Piece. It's not really a fightman manga anymore, at least not nearly to the extent it used to be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Right now is admittedly a bad example. We're just in a period where there's more fighting than normal because it's the end of an arc, but most of Wano was largely bereft of that stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Saying that's the "one moment that was funny" is just a lie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Some people swear by Black Clover but I found what I've seen incidentally of the anime (which is actually quite a lot) to be profoundly generic and empty on pretty much every level.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah it wouldn't have become cultural juggernaut One Piece but early OP was solid enough that I think it could last unaltered.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Robin is my favorite Straw Hat and I don't really get that criticism, I understand people want her to get more fights but I don't really consider One Piece to be a fightmanga anymore so whatever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, she got a fight like ten chapters ago and it ruled so whatever. I guess my stance is that while her powers are cool they're not the reason I like the character and she's plenty important to the story already so I'm not bothered.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't have anything against SEW but those videos tend to feed into several really dumb perceptions about SJ that crop up all the time even in this thread, like the ToC order being popularity rankings.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, there were plenty of moments (most of the big war arc, for example) that I wished there was a lot less of

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ranked "save reading progress between website and app" as my #1 most wanted feature, because I'm currently rereading One Piece

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I keep getting Doron Dororon confused with Dandadan, as someone who has not read either series

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That did happen, yes. The series really went downhill because of it, but I can't blame all the everything else on just that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finally read the first volume of Dandadan after picking it up a few months back. It's pretty good, but I was expecting it to be more horror than battle shounen based on what I knew of the premise, and I got it exactly backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh hey, just got an email from Viz stating that the price of the monthly Shonen Jump membership is increasing from two dollars... to three dollars.

Still, a very easy decision to continue subscribing, personally, especially since they added tracking progress through a series between desktop and the mobile app.