Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honestly the only one that really looks interesting on a surface level to me is Hungry Marie, but I could see a couple of the others being good if executed well. I wish luck for all of these Mangaka, though. :shobon:

Also (slightly) more detail on each series here
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...authors/.111485

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:lol:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I will never forgive Cartoon Network for banishing the last episodes to the ungodly hours of the morning.

I actually remember setting my alarm to wake me up early on Saturday to catch both this and .hack//roots

Alder posted:

gdt they completed the season?! Also I thought they aired the late night anime because it wasn't for kids...

In the US at least, it kept on changing time slots constantly, and took like half a decade to air the whole show. It started on Adult Swim iirc, then it got moved to Toonami when it was still a weekday afternoon power block,, where it received a few extra edits, mostly in the dub's language removing swearing, and this aired up to the end of the Dark Tournament. The Chapter Black arc ended up airing on Toonami some time after if had switched to early Saturday nights before Adult Swim. And after a hiatus period, and with no fanfare, they decided to trickle out the final episodes at like 5 or 5:30 AM Saturday Morning, a literal death slot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

They didn't put it in the morning line up for kids. When I say morning, I mean they were playing it at like 5:30 AM. I love YYH, but nothing is worth getting up that early. I tried for a few weeks, but it just wasn't happening, especially since I was up late during those days. A quick google search revealed that this was apparently back in like 2005, and I am pretty sure there was zero advertising for it.

Yeah, there was literally no advertising for it. Still not as bad as the .hack//roots dub, which got to episode...19-21-ish, then never bothered dubbing the last handful of episodes :cripes:

Also I pretty much watched the whole arc as a result of that. I remember watching the final episode on TV, and much like how the final episode was pretty sombering, there's something sobering about catching the ending to something that was quite popular for a time with mostly everybody unaware and/or asleep.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Same, entirely.

I still think the flashback is insanely good, and the ultimate theme of the arc was decent too. But yeah, I didn't really care enough about the villains or most of the fishmen/mermaids. Basically, you had a really cool setpiece, and excuses to explore multiple of your characters *cough*Nami*cough*, but we didn't really get anything exciting out of the whole exchange.

I'm also in the minority, but I didn't really think Punk Hazard was good either. While the villains were...okay, not much happened that really felt to justify the length of it, and most chapters just left me bored.

Dressrosa had a good first half, and some excellent action in the second half, but it got so contrived to stretch out the length of the arc to chapter 800. This definitely hurt more as we read it week to week, since this is when Oda started taking breaks every third or fourth week.

Zou was better for the payoff in the backhalf, but the front half was a pretty big drag, too. I'll accept it, though.

Whole Cake has mostly been good, so no complaints there.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Compendium posted:

Are you confusing YYH with Bleach because then I'd understand. YYH moves at a lightning pace, there's a ton of exciting poo poo

He's talking about how the first 20 or so chapters were Yusuke doing various tasks as a ghost, most of which the anime glossed over, then the next 25 or so we're still relatively slow and nothing too interesting nowadays (the 3 items, the Genkai arc, and then the 4 demon kings)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Left to right, shaking my head.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pierson posted:

Are there any decent gay rom-coms?

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/kase_san

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
There's definitely fanservice, but I wouldn't say it gets Ecchi-level if that makes sense

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ConanThe3rd posted:

New Seven Deadly Sins out on CR and oh boy if this is a fake out I'ma be pissed

Prepare to be disappointed. You're probably looking at the other seven deadly sins show that started this season. It's very lewd fanservice fluff.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, Samon-kun literally finished a few days ago in Japan. Bkub even released a comic about it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

El Burbo posted:

Both that one and the sesuji one were edits of the original comic anyway

I've been had!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it's funny I've had the strong urge to reread majin tantei nougami neuro but not assassination classroom at all really. maybe it's just the space between me having read them.

Nah, I liked the story and characters of Neuro more overall, but the first third or so of the Manga (basically until half-way through the HAL arc) was very rough, with art that would make a "How to Draw Manga" artist blush, very slow/little development until later on, and a premise that, while setting itself up as a detective murder mystery manga, like Detective Conan, it is terrible at.

Neuro is misleading. It is a quite terrible Detective manga. It is, however, an excellent character exposition with slow-paced, but realistic, character growth, and some really enticing mystery regarding the overarching plot. It's a very rare case where a Manga kind of started lousy, but got better and better until the end, whereas most Manga tend to peak before the ending, I legitimately feel like Neuro is able to make that touchdown. I might be overselling it a bit, but Neuro definitely has one of my favorite Manga endings, in part because it delivers on it's core themes, which really resonated with me.

Julias fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 22, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, it doesn't work verbally.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Manatee Cannon posted:

hmm bold choice, let's check her chances

not looking good buddy

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hate-Senpai posted:

Also Hungry Marie ended.

:rip:

Turns out you can only be hungry for so long before you keel over and die. :rip:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Word, I was forgetting that Nisekoi had more than a few spinoffs/off-shoots/crossovers! My favorites were the crossovers made with Ore Monogatari!

Takeo rules. :3:

Hot linking images often breaks the image link, you do realize this, right?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

:doh:

Yeah, I'm just gonna use imgur and mixtape.moe from here on out. Sorry.

It's cool buddy.

Mulderman posted:

So this new Jump Start series is one hell of a ride...

Lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/RainSpectre/status/1180209663108775936?s=19

I don't know if this is true or just speculation/sample bias, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it was the case.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What is Shy?

Superhero Manga. It's been pretty good so far.

https://mangakakalot.com/manga/vr920110

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plutonis posted:

I wanna do a Kinnikuman thread bc the current arc is so loving good. All the recent arcs since the new serialization that started a few years ago pwn.

Do it or else I'll do it next year.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I know Bleach is not good, but I would like to read the Thousand Year Blood War arc anyway, where do I start?

Chapter 480 (beginning of volume 55)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
My face right now

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fabricated posted:

The latest series debut in Jump is about 4 boys who get stranded on an inhabitable planet and are presumably the only remaining humans. Then a space god appears and gives them a medicine that will magically turn one of them into a girl so they can propagate the species.

:whitewater:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
So I actually checked out the first chapter of Agravity Boys to see if that description was accurate.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006141

It sort of is, but the first chapter ends with them throwing away the potion and not using it, as well as them investing in the idea that other humans may come. So it makes me wonder what kind of story this series is actually going to wind up being-is it going to a monkey's paw style manga with the higher dimension being loving around with the 4 boys with something new every chapter, or will other people arrive and there be an actual plot?

I'll be honest, I don't see this one lasting long just because it doesn't seem either funny/diverse enough as a comedy, or grounded/detailed enough to have a serious narrative.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
How quick we all are to forget about Tomo-chan.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
So it looks like my prediction of the higher dimension being just messing around with the boys and providing them with a bunch of dilemmas to choose an answer was correct. I'm satisfied to not really read any more with it still not bring substantially funny or interesting in my opinion.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nate RFB posted:

WNL and Nisekoi are basically indistinguishable to me and everyone sure seemed to hate the latter.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

This is now two romcoms simultaneously kicking their fans' balls on their way out. In one day.

Did you ever think that some fans like the way both series turned out? It's alright to be disappointed that your favorite character didn't win, or to express criticisms with the way the authors wrote the scenarios that occured, but throwing a hissy-fit and trying to assassinate the character of the author because they didn't give you the specific ending that you wanted is the definition of entitlement, and is extremely childish. Please refrain from doing this again in the future Grouchio.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I started reading Bleach recently after knowing only that it falls apart towards the end. About where should I stop reading?

Honestly just read it until you get bored/don't care anymore.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That is honestly a fair trade-off.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

i already like the bount arc, i cannot be stopped in any way

The bount arc was Anime filler. Also I'd say the Fullbring arc is like, the actual narrative low point of BLEACH.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SpazmasterX posted:

My phone can't even render it at a readable size because imgur is loving garbage and I'm not downloading their app.

Their app is trash and they got rid of the decent mobile site to try to push people towards it. I literally pull up the desktop site on phone if I need to use imgur. It's that bad.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chumbler posted:

In my old age I honestly kind of prefer simpler backgrounds. One Piece may be impressive in the amount of detail drawn, but it's just visually overwhelming a lot of the time. I stopped reading it quite a while back so I don't know how it is now, though.

It's pretty much been the same, maybe just a tad bit less busy, though since the current arc is based around Feudal Japan, there's been some absolutely gorgeous bits of art meant to evoke classic pieces from that era.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mikl posted:

Well yeah what happened basically was that the ratings were tanking, even more than they already had been, so the Shonen Jump editors went "Yo Kubo you got three chapters to wrap this up."

How do you even begin to wrap that clusterfuck of a plot in a dozen chapters, let alone three?

While the ratings were on the lower side, BLEACH was still doing well in sales- but it also came out like a year after it ended that Kubo was doing really poorly health-wise. A lot of people suspected that editors just got sick of Kubo dragging his feet with the story, but in hindsight it's much more likely that Kubo was slowly dying from overwork and the editors decided to pull the plug for his own sake, and that's why Kubo rushed the ending.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ConanThe3rd posted:

(BTAS) That was Batman pretending to be Killer Croc tho

that actually makes that clip even funnier in retrospect

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there a thread for act-age? I started it and got caught up in a day. I really like it, it might have the best treatment of women in a Jump comic so far and the story arcs are great.

There is not one at the moment. I haven't gotten around to reading Act Age yet, otherwise I might have done so myself. If anybody wants to make a thread for it they have my blessing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Act-Your-Age: Read Act Age!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are there any good wuxia manhua? Like, at all?

I'm not quite sure if it qualifies as Wuxia, but Feng Shen Ji is fantastic.