Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

it always amazed me that the author of Claymore was the same as the one who made Angel Densetsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Unless of course you live in Europe. Sigh.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Boco_T posted:

I liked the first chapter of the baseball comic a lot

Yeah it was good, and what happened in the chapter makes sense, especially with how modern high-school works. Will be interesting to see how things continue

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

PPPPP is kind of weird to me, because it seems to be a music focused shonen manga, written by someone who doesn't really care about or understand music?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i hope kawaguchi tries out the same end concept in a way again. Seemed quite interesting but it didnt work out with Red Hood obviously. Webcomic maybe? Light novel?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

review of every single chapter like that one piece guy

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

I checked out of BC when they introduced characters from a light novel and just expected you to know who they were

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i love the action in Ayashimon but I swear it feels like reading a late HxH chapter. So many words. Make a light novel instead.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Ayashimon would've probably done better if it didn't have Hunter X Hunter levels of text on every page.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i loved the Ippo reference in Roboco. Needs more of those

also what a callback to Luffy and Mr 5

UnderFreddy fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 13, 2022

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Did a full reread of Silver Spoon this week and drat, what a wonderful manga. It's a bit unfortunate how it skips through a lot of the seasons, but it sort of makes sense.

Can recommend if anyone needs a sort of feel-good manga and maybe want to learn a bit about farm life.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i get that the manga has been over for a couple of years, but just throwing out unmarked spoilers in the miscellaneous thread sucks.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

in diamond no ace, the protags win the fall tournament and go to the spring koshien. But they didn't go to the summer one, which is usually the "big one".

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

diamond no ace Act 2 finally ended, with no news on an Act 3. Manga was pretty fun and good even if was mostly the Furuya and Mizuki show over Sawamura

there will apparently be some extra chapters of the other tokyo regions finals, don't really know why

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

looking at mangadex, it seems that INKR comics have come in for a lot of sports comics

Are they reliable/good at translating those? I don't mind paying for comics, but if the translations are garbo, then whats the point

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

theres a new manga in Jump called Cipher Academy and my first thought reading through it is that they should probably leave that one untranslated. The premise of the manga doesn't really..work for translation, I feel.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, same. Ayashimon just...I don't see how they coulda canned it. Hit me hard and I can't follow new ones early anymore.

i think what might've turned people off it despite it's fun designs and concept, was it was incredibly wordy. Felt like reading some later One Piece or HxH chapters with all the text they had.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i doubt the author knows anything about pianists, the manga could be centered around pretty much any competition with all the care it had for it

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

saw some new chapters were out and did my almost annual reread of Ragna Crimson. Man is that just good fun all over the place

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

saw a new manga on the web app called 'handsome must die'. incredibly bad.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

the first anime season of SDS was really good, and especially the early parts. It got pretty bad quickly after that though

except for escanor

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

"Do Retry" is starting to look like one of those sports mangas that don't give any shits about any technical aspects of the sport and just use it as a vehicle for the story they want to write.

Bit disappointing but hope it works out.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

the new subscription is very annoying as I could access stuff using a vpn on desktop and now it has to be an app.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

new chapter of Eminence

https://mangadex.org/chapter/af456519-3791-47c3-af8a-23ed894b5dd8/1

and god these last two chapters have just been some of the mangas best work. Incredible stuff.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

surely this sports manga will focus on the sport aspect

UnderFreddy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 18, 2023

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

kafka being a 30+ protagonist should be one of his defining characteristics but it never shows in his personality, how he treats people or anything. It's only used to say "he was a failure when he was younger". Pretty disappointing aspect of the story

i feel like kill blue goes a little bit into the other extreme. Parts of that character has nothing to do with age but just him being raised like a weirdo

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

mma still good sports manga

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i hope the exciting changes is allowing Europeans to use their platforms. Mangaplus is good, but the rest would be nice

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

for people who are digging MMA, I can recommend Red Blue. Also an MMA manga, with a huge focus on the technical aspects. Gives me some Teppu vibes with the protagonist, which is kind of fun.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

rip MMA, you were too good for this world.

there's a baseball shaped hole where Diamond no Ace lay, maybe it's time to fill it?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

this "you can read these chapters once ever and then there's no way to ever read them again" system on mangaplus is really brilliant. It's great stuff. Noone could ever accidentally press away.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, it sucks that you can accidentally click out of a chapter, but there is the option to get whatever subscription lets you read whatever you’re binging.

there doesn't seem to be for the limited free chapters at least. You can pay for standard jump chapters, or you can pay deluxe for the completed series. The newly ported series from Young Jump seem to be one and done.

edit: it seems that they're readable now? Just took like a day from subscribing until it happened.

UnderFreddy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 3, 2024

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

panko posted:

are either catanaccio or days of diamond worth following?

i think they're both quite fun in different ways. The protagonists in both are pretty crazy. One is not talented but insanely driven in an insane way and the other is just insanely talented and faces hardships through that immense talent. They're fun sports mangas.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Tosk posted:

How can you even compare JJK's endgame to something like Naruto or Bleach? The bloat is nowhere near that bad yet.

a lot of people forget how awful Naruto and Bleach were.

I'm often shocked at how loved Bleach is on reddit or twitter. Guess it's the kids who grew up watching it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing that stood out to me about it was how it never let the art speak for itself. Almost very single page was packed to the brim with text explaining everything, from the sport to the emotions of everyone to what's happening next in the plot. Manga is a visual medium, and the art isn't bad, so put some weight on it.

being too wordy is definitely a death knell for a manga. I remember Ayashimon being very cool and funny but it just got so wordy that reading it felt like a chore.