Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Somehow Youtube's been properly calibrated and recommending me manhwas now so I finally gave in and started reading Weak Hero and it's been great so far. The basic thrust of it is that the protagonist is a tiny, scrawny little stick figure of a High Schooler thrown into the lion's den of a school overflowing with delinquents. However, being a Halloween skeleton decoration with skin draped over it, he can't just be throwing punches straightforward like you'd expect, so his fights are almost always interesting since he's gotta be crazy brutal or clever to make up for that.

Sorry in advance for flooding the page with pictures, they're huge, vertical and it takes 15 pages to move a scene forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jose posted:

I've been reading it basically since it appeared on webtoons. I just love comics about high school kids fighting each other it seems lol. The names get me a lot but I like the fact the main cast all appear to actually like each other despite the fact the main character is all hosed up and quiet. They just accomodate him

I agree! I don't know anything about Korea aside from the dystopia that is the Northern half so the lack of honorifics and everyone's first names being so common for America was a surprise.

And to be fair, Gray is very pretty and very fragile looking too though, I understand.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what Red Hood manga you guys have been talking about lately.

I know now that it's not the one with Goldilocks as a buff dude with a whip kissing werewolves to heal like it's Co-op Kirby.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Weak Hero owns, I've almost completely binged the entire thing now. Season 3 seems to have brought an art update too, which is very appreciated.

I do not find Donald Na interesting as a character or villain though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Having only seen the description in this thread, it seems vaguely similar to the Korean webtoon about a guy who starts doing Youtube videos about fighting bullies (Viral Hit - https://www.webtoons.com/en/action/viral-hit/list?title_no=2268&page=1). That webtoon is very funny and surprisingly realistic with the fighting. The protagonist finds some Youtube videos with realistic fighting tips for amateurs, and the protagonist decides to watch some videos to prepare for a fight against a jujitsu (or judo, forget) practitioner, and the video is just like "that's impossible lol, there's no way an amateur could beat a professional grappler."

The protagonist is the hardest working teenager when it comes to studying I've ever seen. Normally he has some kind of weapon on hand or he'll grab whatever's around (a brick, a can of soda, his belt) in his last fight he beat a dude up using just the guy's hat after he stole it and the shirt he took off before they started fighting.

It's very engaging to watch but boy you don't want to keep up on that week to week, that's something you put off for like 3 months for a decent block of updates to read. It's just like A Returner's Magic Should be Special in that way. Fantastic manga, lo- aw gently caress this update's already over.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh right, I also read through like 43 chapters of Mashle and that was a fun one. I'd always skipped over it because the cover art gave me low quality vibes like most Isekai manga about invincible, s rank, secretly god, etc protagonists in the title.

It's good! Love a battle manga where people use lateral thinking to win the fights. Bunting magic swords, splitting the floor in half at 1 mile an hour because your speed's being drained, it's good stuff!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow I can't believe that Red Hood Hunter's Guild ends on chapter 10 now that Debonair and Grimm are going to kill all the new recruits next chapter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did you learn nothing from the power of Bungee Gum

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Red hood just started, we're not even at the adventure part of the story yet, why are people worried it's getting cancelled exactly? I joined the thread late, I don't know when the conversation started.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope manwhas are fine here because I don't know if I'm missing where other people are posting this one.

A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

Since Medical Return is the same thing, I'm now a fan of 'The future's hosed, go back in time to fix it' stories now. Well those and Saike Mata Shitemo but anyway. It's like, a magic fantasy setting and a post apocalypse is where the story starts off, tons of people have died over the 10 years that the world's been like that and as they finally manage to kill the dragon it's heart explodes and he finds himself 10 years back in the past.

So he's got 10+ years of experience and foreknowledge of how things are going to go to poo poo in the future and he's acting on that now while he can like recruiting and training people who'll be killed earlier and getting them better training to hopefully prevent that and intercepting criminal attempts to steal magic artifacts. It's a lot better than I'm making it sound but there doesn't seem to be a thread for it or I just missed it.

I just hope it doesn't get cancelled next week.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I liked that series until it introduced the game like elements. its hard to have dramatic tension when a lot of the stuff that happens won't actually matter.

Huh. Yeah actually you've got a point, unless they get tampered with and suddenly it's SAO 'you die in the game you die for real' stakes then the shadows worlds don't actually matter for anything aside from Desir's goal of eliminating commoner and noble racism, stacking wins for commoners so that they have to be recognized as being as good or better than them or just getting him better artifacts because he's never going to make it up to 4th class mage because his magic capacity is so low.

It really is just a bunch of exams but you have to stop a barbarian invasion or destroy a humunculus instead of the 4500 physics problems Spider-Man solves in his head to launch himself 8 blocks after snagging the tip of a helicopter's propeller for extra momentum.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, dying in them is fatal. the big problem that desir is facing is that the world has gotten complacent about these naturally occurring historical simulators.

They had the big team competition one that would kill you if you died in it, but it was supposed to warp people out if they got hurt too much, I thought them being non-lethal was the case for all of them?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

There's a manga similar to this which I really like: Tsuyokute New Saga.

The premise is basically that The Hero, Kail, finally defeats The Demon King, but at great cost: all of his friends and allies are dead, and the whole continent has been devastated by the war against the demons; Kail himself is dying of his wounds. Exploring the Demon King's castle after the battle, Kail finds a suspicious-looking gemstone, and grabs it.

This immediately transports Kail's consciousness several years in the past, when the demon war hadn't started yet; Kail then proceeds to use the knowledge he'd acquired to try and avoid the Bad End he'd been subjected to.

It's fun.

Hey that sounds awesome! I hope I like it, because the premise is hitting all the spots.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know which other webtoons I should take a look at but drat, the stories in Lookism and Viral Hit are hitting me real hard now.

I'm real glad that the art style in Lookism leveled up, had no idea I was supposed to take Vasco as serious as the manga wanted me to at first.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunter's Guild: Red Hood might be getting cancelled on twitter or whatever but Red Ranger is back at it again with another chapter!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/dd11449e-4d43-4f23-af27-65bb269d2283

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Lookism's premise didn't interest me, but I'm really enjoying Viral Hit.

That's fair. Reading both and also Weak Hero it's really funny seeing them all stretching how teenagers look more and more compared to Weak Hero having mostly normal looking dudes. It's basically this meme with how far Lookism and Viral Hit take it sometimes.

Edit: I forgot, I meant to come in here for a specific reason.

Record of Ragnarok had the conclusion of the Buddha vs Zero fight uploaded about a week ago.

https://mangadex.org/title/b5b21ca1-bba5-4b9a-8cd1-6248f731650b/shuumatsu-no-valkyrie

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 20, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So the Boruto anime does a Demon Slayer with the anime and manga?

Probably better examples but that's the only one that comes to mind right now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jerkface posted:

What are some shounen titles that just kind of abandon the initial premise? I have read all of whats available for "Battle in 5 Seconds After Meeting" and I think its funny how the entire concept of the manga as established, which is like you meet someone who also has powers and you have 5 seconds before you gotta battle them has just been abandoned completely. Its not that people aren't fighting, but that 5 second concept definitely got tossed out the window. I'm pretty sure a few of the first fights even had a clock count down thing on some panels and now no one gives a poo poo. They should have called this Battle with Magic Powers Against Weirdos.

Kitsune Wife went the opposite way where it seemed like a small romancey comedy thing about a husband and wife and then it basically turned into a shonen series with the both of them constantly getting attacked by different Yokai every other day. Or so it seemed, I took a break after the owl fight and whoever the wife was fighting, I remember something about a dragon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You can't 'manga can have little a combat, as a treat' things, people start enjoying and expecting it to continue! Imagine if you were watching The Lion King and Simba does a Shoryuken in the final battle. You can't just sweep that under the rug and assume it won't stick out to people and be a conversation piece.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

What if y’all just stopped reading the bad manga that you almost entirely dislike

That'd be like blocking someone you hate! You're only giving them more power by not having to keep dealing with them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mashle endgame is the last 4 minutes of Kung Fu Hustle but everyone's also a wizard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

black clover has had plenty of good scenes and even chapters. but then there's the rest of it.

So, Black Clover or Fairy Tale then?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

If they make a new one I hope newer characters get more of a spotlight. Like I understand why DBZ, Naruto, and One Piece are always so heavily featured, but I do like the current cast of Jump characters.(And some of the ones that ended or got cancelled.)

More gag characters

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Or any at all in Jump Force's case.

Isn't Hancock more on the silly side than the serious?

I should probably have more examples but I never picked up the game myself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope this Mashle training arc also includes his wand. We haven't seen that enough for my liking.

Also I think it's kinda weird that we're getting strong mages even though nobody was able to use that wand.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I've been reading a kinda old-ish one.

Diamond Delinquent/ Kongoh Banchou has been a pretty fun Fist of the North Star but in High School manga. Remembered a screen cap of someone wandering into a house holding either a car or motorcycle and so I went looking for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it had a solid 2 years as the main (only?) yokai battle series in the lineup, on top of its unique period setting and art style. plus the cast is full of dubiously lovable weirdos aside from Tanjiro. him bringing that sympathetic angle to the demons that clashes against the other humans does at least create an interesting dynamic even if it's underused (typical, tbh).

and to build off Snapple, yeah the climaxes for some villains basically elevated them above many of the human characters in how affecting/interesting they were lol.

Nezuko was criminally underused in it, IMO

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thought you guys were talking about a different Ranger manga https://mangadex.org/chapter/d820e285-aaff-439f-849b-e05c3649001b/1 and I was wondering why opinions on it had soured so much.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I do not share Jump's tastes and I have made peace with this now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That's not the weird thing. The weird thing is that Ayashimon's sales were much, much better than projected, and they didn't even give it a second volume to see if that was a fluke before bringing down the axe.

I liked Red Hood and would've liked to see it continue for another 49 chapters if it had that much story in it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

my opinion is that more manga should be written with the intention of being 20-30 chapters

Well yeah so long as that was the plan from the beginning. Nobody wants to be reading a manga and see in real time the author being informed it's going to end* in two chapters.

*Or else

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sindai posted:

Earth Child is....the Morbius of manga?

Dammit you beat me to it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phase shifting to the universe where MHA was only 80 chapters long

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

That is the convoluted part, school festivals in media are usually presented as open to the public. Setting up the whole festival to get canceled on a hair trigger is just ham-fisted writing to force more stakes into the conflict. The parts just don't quite fit together right once assembled, like to make it work they had to make whats her name the accomplice a genius hacker who could disable the security system.

There was a goal in the writing to reach the (very good) smile and wave page after overcoming a trial, but getting to that point just seemed sloppy and poorly planned.

Gentle is a criminal/wanted man/kind of a villain after two previous security breaches where villains ambushed the hero teens in training. If it continues to happen society's trust in the #1 best security hero training school really crumbles and now nobody feels safe sending their kids to hero school because who knows if serial killer Muscular, the Bone Atomizer, Colonel Killagain or Count Menace are going to just blow up a school bus or something?

I dunno, it made sense to me that it was the straw breaking the camel's back leading to a game over for the good guys at that point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like Shounen stuff too. Anyone have recommendations for stuff that doesn't end up accidentally falling into the Superman Problem? Only one I can ever think of is Fullmetal Alchemist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

What do you mean by Superman Problem? Depending on what you mean, I'd recommend different manga.

Some general purpose suggestions, depending on what you're looking for: Ashita No Joe, Goodbye Eri, Soloist in the Cage, God of Destruction Magu-chan, Sandland.

One of those might have what you want, but without more details, I can't nail things down.

Gah, I should've said Goku or Sonic. Basically the problem where the main character is the only one who can actually stop the villain of the arc and their friends become more and more irrelevant.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Read Zatch Bell.

Considering doing this. I know that the anime came out in the mid 2000s would you recommend the manga more or are the about equivalent?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Faster manga, faster! Start the first chapter killing a general and then move on to fighting the final boss the next, if we're two chapters in and someone hasn't been killed, maimed, blinded, cursed or performed a betrayal than we're gonna lose sales!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm so behind on manga that I only just now finished the cancelled Red Hood series and I'm sad that it ended so soon. I was enjoying the cops and robbers test and how it ended.

Also the rushed ending was very dumb even if book gun was a very good Enter the Gungeon weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I give em -4 chapters before they're cancelled.