Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

doomrider7 posted:

So basically Tenchi is the Alpha and Omega of harem anime with Grand Blue Dreaming as it's apostle.

Tenchi Muyo! is one of those weird things like Evangelion in that it's had a whole lot of imitators that copy some of the surface elements but completely miss most of the things that make it unique and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And the totally boss outfits.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Totally agree about the outfits especially the Tenchi Muyo ones. On that note, what would you say were the things that made Tenchi Muyo unique and weird in that specific way that imitator miss?

Well, one, it actually has the guts to admit that it's a harem fantasy and have Tenchi literally marry everybody and rule the galaxy with his seven or ten omnipotent wives. Not many harems actually cop to that. That isn't necessarily a good thing, but it does make it stand out.

Two, it's more or less open about the fact that Tenchi is kind of a messed-up dude and that for him the primary appeal of a harem isn't sexual or even romantic, but is just his way of maintaining something like a normal family after his really weird and probably emotionally abusive upbringing.

Honestly, I could talk for a long time about all the ways that show is weird. The third OVA revolves around somebody bringing in the Death Star to destroy the Earth, and nobody in the cast cares because that kind of petty business is beneath them and they're all very busy trying to get Mihoshi's idiot brother laid. (The fourth OVA is even weirder, more plotless, and dives even deeper into the author's fetishes.)

Also, I am going to take this opportunity to complain that the guy who translated the True Tenchi Novels after I waited for fifteen years to be able to read them turned out to be alt-right and now I'll never get to.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The endings will show him date each girl sequentially, because you are allowed to date more than one person.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

man I wish daemons of the shadow realm wasn't on such a poo poo app, it owns

this revelation in ch18 about daemons not casting a shadow makes me wonder about how brutal that initial attack on the village was. was it actually people that were being killed over there, or were they like danji? plus I kinda want to reread now to see if anyone else is missing a shadow

Finally got caught up with this, too, and yes, it is in fact a terrible app.

Surely there aren't that many daemons in the village, or they'd have been in a much better place to defend themselves. The fake Asa seems to be made of/manipulate shadows, so I'm assuming that she's Danji's "other half", and that she took the place of his shadow while they were in the village (since he must have had one then or Yuru would have noticed).

Honestly, what kind of organization is the village? They're named after the village, but it seems pretty clear that very little of their power or leadership lives there, so, what do they actually do? Are they another crime syndicate (I mean, they almost certainly are in some sense)? They seem to have world domination as a goal, but since they haven't had much success on that front, how are they recruiting so many people as to have internal factions and an apparent plethora of assassins?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I started reading Witch Watch.

The comedy and the relationships between the guys are so good, but everything about the two leads' ostensible romantic relationship is so bad. I might even go so far as to say that Nico is just a bad character, although she would probably be a good one if I was confident that the way people constantly both pile responsibility on her and infantilize her at the same time was on purpose.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Witch Watch has just had a bunch of really good fight sequences, but it really does go a long way to illustrating that Nico does absolutely nothing for this series except be a plot device. She's literally been stuck in a hole in the ground doing nothing for, what, six months?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have it just for Daemons of the Shadow Realm.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Witch Watch continues to be a good series that could be great if it could just drop the pointless "witch" character.

Seriously, everything about that girl's existence is just an endless train of plot contrivances rather than her actually getting to do anything for her own reasons.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, although it's not just that she doesn't really get to be powerful as that every piece of magic she knows is an absurd plot device that points directly to whatever beat the author wants to do next; it never feels like a tool that exists because it might actually be useful. (And as a result Nico mostly winds up feeling like an idiot because once again she's decided to use a spell that is definitely going to go awry, because her spells always go awry.)

What I'm saying is that this would be a more interesting story if Morihito was dating Kanshi, because they actually have chemistry and character traits.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course they always go awry. It's a gag manga. Them going awry is the central engine for maybe half of all the chapters in the whole drat series. (And they still succeed pretty often anyway. They just succeed in a way that encourages or resolves further shenanigans).

The basic plot of an average non-main-plot Witch Watch chapter is "Nico's bubbly and outgoing nature makes her try to help one of her many friends at school using magic, magic creates problems, the rest of the cast has to deal with it". Remove that, and you don't have Witch Watch.

Yeah, I get that; it just means that Nico never gets to do anything but decide to apply a spell to a situation even though the spell is clearly tailor-made to cause hijinks rather than be useful. She never really gets to make choices; she just arrives in a situations where she can use a spell dumbly, or declare the chapter over and go home. It leads to her being the clear weakest part of a manga where she is ostensibly the main character.

To put it another way, she's ostensibly very powerful, but in practice she just kind of gets what she's given.

It's a shame because there's stuff that could be done with Nico? Like, I don't think the manga really understands how toxic and infantilizing it is that witches are supposed to be kept away from "dark" emotions, lest they go warlock, but if it did, there's meat in that.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 24, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, I guess they heard my complaints and decided to remove (most of) Nico from Witch Watch. It seems like they also heard my complaints about how people kept infantilizing her, but I think maybe they misunderstood.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Witch Watch: Normally when I send letters to manga artists demanding that they remove the obligatory heterosexual romance from their series, they don't actually give in to said demands.

It's possible that I have finally been recognized as the world's most sensible person who should be in charge of everything by default. Does anybody have any other manga requests?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like the real problem Witch Watch has is that it's just better with Nico as a kid and Morihito as her father figure, because she's fundamentally not a very interesting character. Returning to the status quo of her being a love interest will make the series worse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I kind of wonder how long Yomi no Tsugai is going to continue for. It's been carrying on for a while now with a surprisingly low degree of escalation, which makes me wonder if it's going to stay a relatively-contained story about Asa and Yoru finding their parents, or if it's eventually going to shoot off into the shounen stratosphere.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Black Clover timeskip: not sure I like Asta’s new outfit. Really hope he goes back to the old fit after this arc, the sleeves/no shirt thing just looks wrong, but him going Super Swole might not help.

I remember commenting at the time that it looks weird because Asta has clearly put on muscle but hasn't changed his size or proportions at all, so logically the muscle must have grown inward and replaced some of his bones and organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Witch Watch is really on a streak in the post-witch era.

The anime adaptation of that show is going to be weird.