Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was looking forward to Brotherhood, but as well as it rushing through the opening chapters much too fast, the way it took every instance of a chibi character and vomited it over the screen in the loudest, most obnoxious way possible just made it completely unwatchable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I read through Naruto recently and actually thought it held up pretty well. A lot of people didn't like it post time skip because it eventually stopped being about Naruto getting better though his own determination, but what it turned into I thought was done well on its own merits, even if it wasn't what people wanted.

Basically it becomes about how to save people and end conflict without just murdering the other party; the final arc is full of power escalation and no selling techniques, but each one advances a number of character arcs, and even Guy's big moment matters because it's ultimately what weakens Madara enough for Kaguya to emerge.

It's a total betrayal of the hard work ethic, obviously, but as an example of characters being talked around into coming together in cooperation, I genuinely thought it did well, even if it would have been better if it hadn't forgotten its original ethos.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I might have to check it out then, because the manga is drawn in a pretty soulless way. I can see some of the fights being good when animated though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It has the feel off something that's been copied from real faces; everything is very on model at all times with no exaggeration to the expressions, which works for something very serious and detailed, but not for teenage ninja hijinks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I had to Google what Melon looks like and the answer is "like a loving dumbass", so I am not looking forward to reaching that part of the story.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I assume they're going to expand on the final battle a bit, but hoo boy, that title is writing cheques the story can't cash.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Magu-chan: Anyone else think this arc feels kinda final?

Nah, we've been through this rodeo before. God turns up, gets beat, becomes part of the rotating cast. It feels like there's an overall story that will get resolved eventually, but it mostly revolves around Uneras and her true intentions behind sealing everyone away. She is pretty much the linchpin of everything that's happening, but when Magu-chan spoke to her true body she was too ashamed to show her face to him. My guess is that she feels a lot more guilt for how she treated humanity than she is letting on and sealing everyone's powers away is a long play for teaching the others the same lesson, but I guess that can be resolved whenever the author feels that the series has run its course.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's definitely going to be NFTs.

Don't worry, they'll walk it back when everyone goes absolutely ballistic, same as with every other NFT announcement.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Another really sweet Magu chapter. I kinda wonder if it's gonna do what I think it might do and literally just show the rest of Ruru's life, including her death.

I assume that it'll go from meeting Magu up to the present day, then she'll stick around to see how it turns out. I'm now wondering what the next major plot reveal will be, because this is explicitly the final Pillar, but are other lesser beings as well (and I guess they could introduce whole other pantheons of ascended beings).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I should get round to reading that, I haven't been making good use of my jump sub so I'm trying to catch up. I'm all caught up on Magu-chan and Sakamoto, what should I jump on next?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Roboco didn't grab me, but I haven't read any of those others yet.

I read MHA and One Piece each week too, and I keep up with Boruto and DB Super for old times sake, but otherwise I'm looking for any ongoing series outside of Magu-chan and Sakamoto, as I'm caught up with those. I'll start with one of those though.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 23, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Magu-chan: so is that Ruru's granddaughter? Obviously can't be her daughter, but if it's her granddaughter then that would mean he washed up pretty much immediately. Maybe great-granddaughter? Plus it's nice to get confirmation that Naputaaku got a happy ending.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I demand a tiny Magu-chan waddling along at low speed.

Better yet, put him on that small dog.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They could easily account for that by emailing the survey to digital subscribers or putting it in the app behind the paywall. They could also build analytics into the app and skip the survey entirely, but that would cost a lot more money up front.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah it was full of nonsense like charging you by "chapter" but they didn't mean the actual released chapters as they broke them into smaller chunks. Also IIRC you couldn't just outright buy access to something it was always a rental.

It also had insanely overzealous censor bars created by an algorithm, so you'd get giant black boxes covering half a panel because someone had a bit of cleavage on display. The app didn't stumble out the gate so much as it got dismembered in the paddock.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I assume they'll do the actual intended ending instead of going from an absolutely glacial pace to suddenly kicking off the final battle out of nowhere and closing out the series in five chapters.

Not that there's much to get excited about, it's just endless fights against a literal alphabet army of villains and basically nothing else.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How you all managed to look away from the eyes to notice the dress I have no idea. My every instinct is screaming that this alien mantis is about to bite my head off.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I thought it was cute but above average at best. Like it wouldn't have surprised me if it got canned after around 20 or so chapters. I've been continually surprised how it's attained almost mythical status.

The original one-shot did a lot of heavy lifting there, the pacing was much better and the concept does have potential. I felt like the six chapters we got in the series were already dragging their heels, there's a ton of padding in the dialogue. I'd read it if it came back, but it wouldn't be the reason I opened the Jump app.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fabricant 100 was a shame, but it clearly had enough warning or at least foresaw its own demise to steer its way to a satisfying conclusion, enough to recommend reading it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

panko posted:

heed your own words and look elsewhere than the manga magazine marketed mostly towards the underaged for your bounteous 2d fix

Related to this, is there a good English language resource for the various manga mags out there, other than the SJ app and Manga Plus? I'm aware that Mangadex sometimes links to official translations of series but I'd like to know more about the various weeklies/monthlies that are out there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If I pay the full subscription for Manga Plus can I just read whatever I want as many times as I want? I want to make the switch from SJ because of the larger library.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Those bullet points are raising more questions than they answer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mikane and the Seawoman isn't on SJ either.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I hope they don't drag out Ruri meeting her dad too long, because while it probably takes a bit of time to process that your dad is an actual, literal dragon, I feel like after you've accepted that you have dragon powers the next thing you'd want to do is meet the guy and get some answers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't forget a terrible name! Who in god's name thought that Ice-Head Gill would make people want to read it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'll definitely be interested in Horikoshi's next work, it just feels like he realised that MHA was progressing at an absolutely glacial pace for what was meant to be three school years and had to massively accelerate it after the hospital raid arc. Hopefully he learns to pace it better from the beginning next time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

U-19 is a special club reserved for only the true elite who can gracelessly faceplant right out of the gate.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Undead Unluck: I can't believe Arale collected the Dragon Balls!

God she really does look like an evil Arale.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speedrunning NG+ was fun but I like that they're struggling a bit in UU once more, and Language is exactly the kind of whack-rear end concept I love about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I give most things a shot if I'm in the mood, some are just a 'nope' after one chapter, some I read for a while and eventually feel it's not really something I care about much. I dropped Sakamoto around when there was the fight in the assassin office building with the film guy because I just didn't care about anyone anymore in the series.

Same, the juxtaposition of assassin hijinks and sleepy convenience store was a fun concept, then it just descended into another fight manga where I had no idea what the extent of people's abilities were supposed to be so I stopped.

Spy Family fills that gap for me now, there's no real sense of stakes in the spy stuff but it also didn't forget that the low level stuff is part of the appeal.