Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It had been on a quality upturn for a little while, but that rarely saves you anymore. Hoping we get something else exciting soon that actually gets to live, and yeah I know Akanebanashi isn't that old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yeah the final arc was confirmed six months ago now.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1520790380102496259?t=6NaLl_gIHlzRHkAIz7_NPg&s=19

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
At the point you change so much it starts losing its recognizable parts, I get that there's a charm to it but it does feel equally like just riding IP coattails.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It hits those notes every so often, but yeah it's definitely mostly a battle comedy.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Both Naruto and Black Clover are coming up on a decade since leaving/entering Jump, respectively. Of course they're still big but, aside from the different editorial behind Jiangshi X, it wouldn't strike me as odd that a(nother) "throwback" (it may not even seem this way to the intended audience) shonen would get the greenlight.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not sure what about Ginka smells like cancellation other than ToC placement, which isn't a real thing.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The action and characters didn't feel like they had much room to grow, partially due to the meta gimmick of the lead. Stuff like the chestnut(?) training was obviously trying to remedy that but was haphazardly executed, probably because cancellation was already on the way.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It would probably help if the Apocalypse hook at least capped off vol 1 instead of starting vol 2, but approaching this from the angle of all chapters being free on mangaplus I don't think the 9 chapter investment to get there is a big ask.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Never really checked if it's random/changing weekly, but since the app keeps my spot in overall series, I just read the series in the order they show up there.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
That's what I was thinking, but the scanlated chapter on mangadex was uploaded in September before the volume release in November. :shrug:

If they had a fixed version for that volume ready to go ahead of time that was somehow put out, I guess it'd be that.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Urban fantasy was definitely saturated in Jump then, and still kinda is. Especially if they account for JJK being an already-successful title in that realm.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The promo image they're using has a little banner ad about earning points, so I'm going to expect it's an mtx hell rather than a sensible subscription. They've also already acknowledged that due to app store restrictions there will be series they just do not put in K Manga, with no current plans to have "web-only" series similar to how you can read Golden Kamuy on the Viz site (but not the app).

Maybe it'll be a decent way to keep up on simulpubs but having seen this business model on other sites I'm obviously pessimistic.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Feel like that incredulity is better saved for Earthchild 2, yeah.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's being done by Aniplex so just pray it doesn't disintegrate halfway through the season.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They put him at 39 even though I would've guessed older based on appearance/the family photo, though it's funny when this chapter they mention his attitude being from the 50s.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
DGM is one of those series that got repeatedly derailed by author health issues (including a wrist injury). It's still going after hopping through a bunch of the Jump family of magazines but yeah, there was a point when the issues first started that it just became very difficult to follow and I fell off of it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Unluck winning because it has actually written a co-lead and secondary characters you enjoy and can care about as the driving force of things, I suppose? I dropped Mashle for a lot of reasons but finding the side cast lacking was part of it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The anime is just a great thing to watch, that team at DavidPro did an excellent job.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The arc has only been going for 11 chapters.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Kagurabachi feels skippable aside from the handful of nice action panels. Rest of the art isn't nearly as interesting or good, I don't like the designs, and the attempt to split its introduction between backstory and the revenger in full swing made both sides feel half-baked.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I will gladly pay if I can stop seeing so many cool Jump+ oneshots and serializations never come over (let's ignore all the cancelled ones).

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

The Black Stones posted:

A good chunk of them show up on Shonen Jump, do they use the same translations? I’ve never really checked. So Shonen Jump app helps pay for that. Same parent company so I’d assume if the Shonen Jump and the Viz app are doing well, they’d probably just run the same model. Pay a couple bucks per month, get a lot of stuff.

Here’s hoping.

I know Kaiju no8 has different translations between Mangaplus and Viz, so I assume the others are also different.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Ichinose interesting bad or boring bad?

Interesting frustrating, and closer to good than bad. I do think it lacking a strong structure between arcs (not entirely due to the dream sequences) is the biggest potential turnoff, but I have enjoyed the gradual unwinding of each family member's backstory and hangups.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not sure how the tiers will break down but I feel like their big pay features would involve removing the reading limits and unlocking back chapters, $5 removing their awful ads would also be nice.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Make the Exorcist Fall in Live also seems popular. The main stuff I'm reading there is Magilumiere, Handsome Must Die, Sachi's Records, Blooming Love, Skeleton Double, and Gangster Neighbor. I do also use it for Dandadan because Viz has issues putting stuff in their app.

I know there's been cancelled or complete stuff I read there too like Summertime Render and Soloist in a Cage, just don't have a full list in mind.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I like mapollo's character designs. To some extent, looking weird is better than being like Kagurabachi. Just not if you're Ice Head Gil, I suppose...

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The site and app load but trying to actually pull up a chapter doesn't show anything, and you can find plenty of other people tweeting the issue.

Seems they are aware though: https://x.com/N0VAFIELD/status/1711913256997052577?s=20

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Replace them with more chapters about denim.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yeah Handsome was fun and had really cool art, looking forward to the author's next work and however many characters they decide to design to look like Captain Kuro from One Piece.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
And this week, we get all that in the context of using a spore creature creator.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Back when it was new Apocalypse was enough of a hook for most people to get on board, but it does seem like the line has moved further in for some? As long as someone isn't acting like it's bad until after Seasons then I wouldn't strongly disagree.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Didn't ever touch this one but it didn't give me particularly good vibes. In some cases it's probably better to just cut things off and come back another time. We've seen several authors with cancelled series cycle back in, at least.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Thirding that the Seasons are Undead Unluck's early high water mark. I was on board as soon as Apocalypse showed up, but it just hit another level with those arcs.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The only stuff that stood out to me as odd were the backstory things for Zenitsu and Inosuke in that final arc, and then it just generally being a final arc that wasn't great to read weekly after a point.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I just imagine if they had gone ahead on Yozakura sooner maybe it could've landed something better than what it got, but it could be the project just wasn't as appealing compared to UU, Elusive, Kaiju etc.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Imagining they had a boat arc to fight demons in other country.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

drat, we're really going to use a slot chasing sloppy seconds?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Fabricated posted:

They had an alien assassin with the most dripless lightsaber in the world; it had a loving spiral phone cord with a fanny pack.

Nah, this is cool. Anyway the only part I'd particularly praise is when they meet the alien sympathizer in that bar and start making some cracks in both the terrorist and government orgs, but it was already on the cancellation track at that point.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not sure what motivated them to do that but they should've chosen a better song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Choosing to read isn't something I base on whether a series has or is likely to survive. Just interest, vibe, and feeling like I have room for something.