Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Did D GrayMan ever get better? It started out pretty cool, but then the big fight against the Noah where everyone barely survived happened and it revealed that "haha but actually the villains you couldn't defeat and barely survived weren't even their final forms" and also the art became a mess and I didn't understand what was happening. I think it went on hiatus after that or something and came back with a different art style? Is it worth picking up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Also Light was an idiot because he was murdering tons of criminals as if every convicted criminal was guilty, rather than doing research on things. Oh and not doing things like "hey maybe I should off a genocidal warlord or a corrupt politician who used his power and influence to steal the only existing steak from the meat planet"

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

It also mentioned that the crime rate of planned crimes went way down but that crimes of passion didn't change significantly.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I just stumbled on Dimension W by the guy who did the second Darker than Black manga and King of Thorn and I'm really liking it. Pretty interesting sci-fi concept involving a technology that pulls infinite energy from another dimension and revolutionized the world, but of course there's a mysterious android and more to the infinite energy system than most people think. Also the main dude is basically Spike from Cowboy Bebop. Anyone else following this series?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Kubo Tite is doing a new one shot in July called Burn The Witch. Link

I'm pretty excited cause I like his art and design work, and short form is great for him. Also Burn The Witch is such a good name.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Burn The Witch feels more Zombie Powder than Bleach, which I like. I really enjoyed it. If there's more of it, I really hope it keeps the girls as the leads and the dude just tags along as the narrative everyman.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I just reread Bleach because it's one of my favorite series. I still stand by the fact that it was good, if you ignore everything after defeating Aizen. Hueco Mundo and Fake Karakura aren't bad at all if you're reading them in one sitting. The pacing is not the best but cool poo poo is continually happening and all the fights are good.

The fullbring arc is less bad than I remember but it's really jarring to have a time skip with absolutely no resolution to the previous story arc. The abilities the fullbringers use are all kind of dumb and none of the fights are good at all. I didn't care about anything that was happening and the story didn't make sense within the narrative. Chad uses his pride in his skin to summon his poo poo, even though it's established he has a coin memento from his grandfather. Orihime's fairy's from her hair clip make perfect sense as a fullbring, but aren't ever explained as such. Ginjo looked really cool at the end, though.

The intro to the Quincy poo poo was cool as hell, when Soul Society is first invaded. The fights are all pretty good and getting to see Yamamoto finally do his thing was awesome. It's pretty much all down hill from there though. After that the plot is total nonsense and everything is a really obvious rear end pull that doesn't even with within the setting. Not that the setting had a lot of consistency but holy poo poo, the background of the Quincy is ludicrous. YWACH's powers are nonsensical in regards to Quincy and seem more like a fullbring, but I guess him being the son of the Soul King explains it. Even though the Soul King has been sealed in a crystal since the universe was split into hueco mundo, soul society, and real world so that doesn't make sense. Also how old are these Quincy? Bazz B and Haschwald are established as being around 1,000 years ago but are still around even though they're human. Whatever.

Aside from nonsense in the plot, hardly any fights were good with most being bad. Masque de Masculine is amazing, as is Kenpachi vs Gremmy. Komamura does cool stuff. Yachiru turns out to be Kenpachi's sword spirit even though right before that she used her own named shikai so that was dumb, but bankai Kenpachi was pretty cool. Isshin and Urahara showing up to do gently caress all at the last minute was such a weak moment. Everything was so bad. Don't reread the last arc of Bleach, maybe look at a couple cool fights.

Anyway Burn The Witch was cool and I hope Kubo does a monthly series at some point so he has time to make a quality product.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Yinlock posted:

except there was that chat about "oh he remembered my favorite flower and sent it to me, we should all believe in him and faaarrrtttttt"

Yeah, abuse is complicated and Shouto's mom is focusing on the fact that Endeavor remembered flowers. Remember that she never focused her anger on her abusive husband, she directed it towards Shouto. None of the kids agreed with her sentiment that the flowers make it okay. All the Todoroki kids have different feelings about his attempt at changing.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I've always been curious about the Outlaw Star manga, but only a handful of chapters were ever translated. It seemed very different

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I subscribe to the Shounen Jump app, it's like two bucks and a great deal. You get a huge backlog on a number of series. Pages fit great on the screen of a phone, too.

Anyway with Chainsaw man I have a prediction that Cafe girl is the Love Devil. Plenty of people are afraid of love.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I only occasionally read We Never Learn, because people seem positive about it, and I don't really see the appeal. BUT from what I see of the ending the girl with the best hair won so I don't see the problem.

I keep reading Guardian of the Witch. I have no opinion to share about it. There's nothing to say, it's just generic.

PringleCreamEgg fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 3, 2020

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Agravity Boys continues to get an audible laugh from me every chapter. Maybe my favorite thing in jump after chainsaw man.

Bone Collector is fun, I really enjoy the art style.

Rest in loving pieces, Guardian of the Witch, the most generic series I've ever seen.

Mashle has grown on me, I really didn't care for the first few chapters but it's started to grow beyond the initial joke. I'm sure it'll be a great short series.

Magu-chan is fine, pretty generic but it could go in any direction so I'm going to keep my eye on it.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

FLCL is a really good anime about baseball.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

MäR (same mangaka as Flame of Recca)was one of the most disappointing series I've read. Started out pretty interesting and had some compelling characters, including HALLOWEEN THE CRUCIFIED and the cutest witch since Botan, but nothing really came of it. The sequel was bad the entire time.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Remember that Houshin Engi anime from a few years back that was basically unwatchable because they were trying to do like a volume each episode?

I saw the first episode and was just hoping that they were speeding through the first part that the original anime covered, then would slow down and make something watchable. Sad to hear that didn't happen because even being familiar with the material I could barely follow the drat episode.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Magu-chan isn't the best manga in jump and it isn't the funniest, but it's really cute and really wholesome. It's a feel good series that isn't eyerollingly sweet.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The second one is Tenchi Muyo, I think.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

With regards to Undead Unluck, I think it’s a simpler explanation: Billy doesn’t have a sense of justices about what he’s doing, he doesn’t really think what he’s doing is right or wrong. He’s either doing it for revenge or he’s pragmatic.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

One Piece is fine. Eneis Lobby and Water 7 are the strongest arcs in modern shounen manga, but I think it’s been much weaker post-timeskip. I agree with the sentiment that often times it seems like Luffy just wins ‘for some reason’. I completely get why people don’t like it, though. The current arc has so many sub plots and simultaneous threads going on, every page is super busy so it can be pretty confusing and feel slow.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I loved Bleach but it was entirely for ‘look at this cool poo poo’ reasons about halfway through Hueco Mundo. After that the story went too slowly and characters had no growth, just backstories. It became objectively not great, but had strong enough moments on occasion that it was still worth reading. Also its trainwreck ending was much, much funnier and more interesting than Naruto’s.

Naruto I at one point stopped reading because it got too dumb when Sasuke intimidated Naruto’s fox demon with eye magic. But then I started reading again because of a bad translation of someone calling Sasuke ‘Dr Snakes’. Then it continued being boring.

Also One Piece is still running so I still think of Eneis Lobby and Water 7 as modern. Or I forgot how old it is. My goodness.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Zombie Powder got cancelled between arcs, which basically lead to a really good open ending that makes it feel like a completed prologue for a main series that never got made.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

If Kubo went monthly or Jump Plus, I could have a bit of hope that a Zombie Powder sequel could be okay. But I think he’s mostly burnt out after killing himself on Bleach. Burn the Witch was okay at best, so I can’t see him capturing his early stoner magic from Zombie Powder again.

All I want from Kubo at this point is for him to start his own fashion brand that ships internationally.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Ziga died so that Kaiju 8 could live.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I'm easily hooked by cool character and monster designs, so Red Hood is up my alley. The werewolves look cool and I also like Grimm's design.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

It’s a real shame there’s no translation of the outlaw star manga, it seemed really weird and different from the show. Also it’s too bad Angel Links was apparently awful because the universe is interesting. I want more outlaw star in my life.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Red Hood owns because the art is cool and I love absolutely every character design. I also like Dynasty Warriors video games so I have objectively bad taste, however.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Just Dynasty Warriors or also Samurai Warriors / Musou Orochi?

I've liked a few Samurai Warriors games but I haven't played as many of them, I also haven't messed with Orochi very much. I really enjoyed all the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games, making Master Asia get 1000 kills then scream about being the UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST, WEST, NORTH, SOUTH, AND CENTER is always a good time. Plus a few of them let you play as Laura Rolla instead of Lauran Cehack which is great.

But to stay on topic, Red Hood is the new Bone Collector. The thread seems half divided on whether they love it or hate it, and there isn't even a consensus on whether the thread likes the art or not. I will throw hands at anyone who compares it to Guardian of the Witch though, nothing deserves to be compared to that garbage. I don't even know how that thing got into jump. Probably the worst series I've seen in modern jump.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The Soul King is super powerful being who is tortured eternally in order to segregate the universe into Soul Society, The human world, Hueco Mundo, and hell. This may be good or bad, no one knows at this point. Getting rid of the Soul King however would be a mass extinction event that only overwhelmingly powerful beings would survive.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Bleach is worth reading if you are able to only care about cool looking characters doing cool looking things. Only the last few chapters manage to fail on that front. The overall plot is trash but there are moments that are incredible.

Rukia vs Aaroniero is an amazing fight in every aspect, it’s one of my favorite fights in comics.

Even the thousand year blood war has cool parts. You have to turn your brain off, though. And the anime is trash, the pacing is awful and the art usually is too, don’t watch it.

I won’t recommend you read Bleach, instead you should read Zombie Powder. It’s by the same author and only four volumes, it’s the better series and if you don’t enjoy it you won’t enjoy Bleach. If you DO like it, you will probably enjoy Bleach.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The best part of Bleach was the series spending so much time building up Isshin and Ryuuken and when they finally got their moment to show off right before the series ended. Some of the best stuff ever.

Hey kid take this Deus ex Machina, alright peace.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Red Hood rules. If the tall muscle women strategy doesn’t work then the sins of humanity are truly unforgivable. I think the biggest issue with Red Hood is that the panel layout is mediocre. It’s never confusing but it tends to be pretty static and the flow of action from panel to panel isn’t great.

Sakamoto was good this week.

Jujutsu is still great.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

There is something mentally incorrect with the Itagaki family. I enjoy their works immensely.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The amount of exposition dumping in Red Hood and amount of plot suddenly happening should make this chapter an absolutely terrible mess. Instead I’m enjoying this chapter on levels I haven’t enjoyed a comic since Chainsaw Man. It’s literally just good art and talk of creating destiny but it grabs me in a way that I can’t explain.

Also Magu-chan continues to be wholesome.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Red Hood’s art kind of reminds me of Dagashi Kashi but less horny. I look forward to seeing more from the artist, whether that’s Red Hood somehow not ending or another series.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Ayashimon rules.

Magu-chan continues to be wholesome and sweet, but every time I see a panel of Ruru smiling it seems sad too. I’m terrified this girl is going to die at some point. At least we’re far enough in that I’m confident we won’t pull a Naru-Taru.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The best part of Bort the Manga is that the artist, for whatever reason, makes every female character dress like a 70s Go-Go dancer.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Finally a correct popularity poll

I really can't disagree with anything on this poll. It's amazing. What a great series.

Kind of worried we might be wrapping up, but I'd also be fine with that because it would be better to end as a really solid series.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Kaiju no 8 loving owns.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Hunter x Hunter starts out as a fighting manga and turns into a novel about the most efficient method of hydrating your breakfast cereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I’m happy that the majority of the replies are people threatening to cancel their subscription if it’s NFTs.