Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hey

So

grenades in the mouth, a real bad way to go!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's kind of weird that hunter girl survived what with the grenades-in-the-mouth thing

least she looks neat, kinda like some sort of anime schoolgirl Shredder

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The final chapter of Rin just came out.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rin-HAROLD-Sakuishi/Ch-041---End-?id=273581

I'm a bit disappointed it ended here, but overall it was an excellent series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They did in this chapter.

Honda wasn't actually seriously interested in him, which would be romantically disastrous for him

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Couple new chapters of Hatsukoi Zombie. A bit of a cliche ending to the banquet thing, but the latest chapter brings up the disappearing Eve thing that I thought it would eventually. I have this feeling that eventually, when Tarou completes his first love, Eve the spirit will eventually be born as his and Ibusuki's child in the future.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You act like that hasn't been a thing in anime.

Hell, even good series have done it before.

edit: oh look, a Chat Thread Idiots dogpile, how cute.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 31, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's more the "spirit/god/whatever wishes to be human and so gets reincarnated as a human baby" that I meant, especially because theyre making it a significant and repeated point that she has a soul now unlike the other first love zombies, and as a major character in a pretty lighthearted series I'd be surprised if they just axed her in the end like any other FLZ. Since this is a supernatural romance series, I went with the idea it will be by her being reborn into the world as a newborn human.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

K. Flaps posted:

The ghost making the protagonist mad horney is not going to turn into his child. You are very very stupid.
Flaps, stop being such an antagonistic piece of poo poo just because someone made speculation you don't agree with. It's not an entirely unreasonable idea and has definitely been used in other series including good ones like spirit circle, even if it's not their kid, but her being reincarnated as an actual human in the end is totally possible and honestly I kind of expect it so that it's a happy ending.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Calling kflaps on being an rear end in a top hat again for no reason other than he doesn't like the speculation is not "going rabid", sharky.

Sharkopath posted:

Also it's more likely that she will just disappear, because part of love is learning to let go....

Things can be happy and sad and bittersweet all at the same time, it doesn't need a weird as hell family where you have to explain to your wife that your daughter is really the reincarnation of the spirit of a psychological manifestation of an idealized version of what you thought your childhood crush would look like at the same age you were as a teenager.
Hey, good on you for at least attempting to have a conversation about it instead of NO YOU'RE STUPID AND WRONG. And I can absolutely see that happening too, but with both Taro and Ibusuki treating her more and more as a person with feelings as the series has progressed, I don't think it'll just end with "and their love was completed, so she just fizzles into nothing now, the end". Especially with the ending to the latest chapter suggesting he might try to avoid love altogether to prevent her from disappearing, it makes me think there'll be some attempt to "save" her from the fate of every other love zombie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Apology accepted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

the fact you're reading a manga where you thought it was plausible :chloe:
Hatsukoi Zombie isn't a bad series. Least, not so far.

And good series, most notably Spirit Circle, have done exactly that with their ghost buddy characters.

Anyways, enough with this conversation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In the latest She is the Rokurokubi, things get a little real. But not too much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

Oh okay, let me just grab my $300 and run out to the Apple store and buy an iPad for the privilege of reading manga.

You can get tablets for like 50 bucks man, especially if they're used, you don't need some top of the line machine for reading the mangs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

gash bell is the greatest fuckin thing

its pure, unabashed shonen. just trope upon trope, played to the hilt without blinking.
Yep, and it plays them well

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

its gives bad adverts if you're on a phone
what kinda goober doesn't have adblock on their phone

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, they're technically right, but I use Firefox with the adblock plus plugin and that works great. Only problem is that when you first start up the browser after a restart, the plugin needs to load, so if your open page is a page with ads they'll load until abp finishes starting up, then it'll kill them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anime and manga are often incredibly guilty of the "mystery killer bloody cough disease" so a sports version isn't surprising.

one series that did it really, shockingly well was RIN. The sister's illness, while I don't believe it was ever named(though it seems like Parkinson's or something similar), is a degenerative brain disease that will inevitably make her into a vegetable, but she struggles against it as hard as she can. Straight up made me tear up at times.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Sounds more like huntington's disease.
Could be, I'm not very familiar with diseases like those.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The most anime of medical dramas

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

Also the (generally unstated later in the comic) fact that the protagonist is pretty much doomed to suffer from the same condition and no longer be able to draw manga. Which I guess is related to a "do what you can in the present because you never know how things will be in the future" theme.
I think they said he MIGHT get it but so far it's only manifested in the women in his family, so he might also not get it.

Which is still terrifying, but at least not a death sentence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schubalts posted:

So many finished manga that have had their translations fizzle out. :smith:

Sekitou elergy will never finish getting scanlated because of this fatigue, yes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean it was one piece mha and assassination classroom but then that went and ended too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
MHA is definitely up there alongside One Piece, no question.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

z0glin Warchief posted:

I don't know about in terms of magazine popularity polls, but in terms of stuff like cultural penetration (including stuff like merch sales) One Piece blows MHA out of the water in ways that are hard to describe. Having an anime that airs during a prime time slot for the past 17 years running will do that though.

Oh I wasn't talking about that, I thought we were talking about currently running shonen jump stuff and what's the top ones in that

I know one piece is a cultural juggernaut, I honestly don't think even dbz has the cultural penetration it does at this point. Gundam maybe in japan, but worldwide one piece is kind of crazy well known, even in the us now it's huge, where it floundered for ages thanks to the apocalyptic 4kids dub

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Looks ok. Is that a first chapter or a oneshot?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Irritated Goat posted:

If it's true, it solidifies my theory that smart shounen series can't work :( Hunter x Hunter and World Trigger both go on Hiatus. One Piece, while more simple than the HxH and WT, is slowly killing Oda because the dude won't stop. "Mindless" stuff like Bleach and Naruto just moved along and finished fine. :sigh: We can't have nice battle manga :(
Oda takes a bunch of breaks now. I think it averages out to once a month he takes a week off? Maybe once every five or six weeks? But yeah, his schedule was pretty insane.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EmmyOk posted:

I'm an anime watcher for One Piece
you poor bastard

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnonSpore posted:

Oda has always taken a ton of breaks, I dunno where the image of him being this incredible workaholic who never takes breaks off ever has come from.

He did take breaks, but it has increased considerably since...I want to say around the timeskip?

I mean I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just that he definitely takes more than he used to, and I can't blame him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You monster

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Next time on demons plan
Protagonist fights:

A COMMUNIST

Spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KROpdUkrM

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The best immortal themed manga is golden kamuy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What the gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

while it's nowhere near as good as it used to be One Piece is still solid enough.
Zou and the Whole Cake Island arc are so far two of the best arcs in the entire series though, so your claim doesn't really hold weight. Dressrosa was not great but you remove two key things, the birdcage/second half of the doffy fight and the royal family bullshit, and it was really great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

even if the new arc is good (I stopped reading at the end of dressrosa because reading as they came out wasn't working for me), Fishman island, punk hazard and dressrosa is definitely a string of bad to decent arcs, especially compared to how consistent the series has been before
Fishman Island is actually really good when read all at once. I think people were riding such a long-running action/drama high after the Summit War that something a little more down-to-earth(which is crazy considering we're talking about Fishman Island) wasn't as good week-to-week. But both that and Punk Hazard are real good when read all at once. Dressrosa however has some real, aforementioned problems even if there's also some really good parts to it.

One of the twists in Fishman Island(in regards to Hody Jones) is one of my favorites of the series, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OneDeadman posted:

Also to add to my list of recommendations ; Uwagaki is real good and makes me wish Immortal Hounds wasn't such a disappointment.

What makes immortal hounds a disappointment, it's not done yet and could still pull things off if it wraps up its twists well enough.

Now if only someone would catch it up to the current chapters, we must be like half a dozen behind now.

Edit: as if someone read my mind, a new chapter came out. IH is seinen but I guess since we're discussing it have a link and we'll take further talk to the seinen thread

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Immortal-Hounds

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 22, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't remember ever seeing you enjoy anything though, relin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rin is quite good, I'd go so far as to say it should be in the OP. I do think it ended extremely abruptly though, which is an unfortunate aspect of most shonen romance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The most shocking thing about horimiya is that it doesn't shy away from the idea of sex or treat it as some mythical thing. It just...happens, like sex tends to. I didn't think horimiya was shonen though.

Also, girls like hori do exist in regards to the above, and they do sometimes have "quirks" to them like the aforementioned uncomfortable stretch, I dated one. Sometimes they take it to extremes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I believe we were talking about Horimiya earlier, and a new, great side chapter is out about windy days and hair.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Horimiya/Chapter-071-006?id=347804

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Spirit Migration. I'm kinda loving the new Super Robot Alphonse Elric that Kou has turned into.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Spirit-Migration/Ch-025?id=359157

complete with ROKKETO PAAAAAANCH