Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

A harem series having bad relationships? I'm shocked
open your heart and let the harem in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

they're bad and frequently feature children :chloe:
what about the ones that don't tho

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eden is the one literally about a dick and balls cannon shooting info jizz into a wormhole vagina isn't it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's also about bringing characters back for the sole purpose of horrifically murdering them for basically no reason besides just because the author can

I hate eden, it's such a disappointing series, it has so much cool stuff theoretically but just flubs the landing on almost everything. and this is the series with the cyborg dog with sword-arms coming out of its back, and somehow still fucks it up. like it was so utterly despondent I knew what characters would eat it because they were too goddamn happy or life wasn't making GBS threads on them hard enough

the idea of a series set in a post-apocalypse where a large chunk of humanity got wiped out through a crystalline plague but life goes on and being set after that is a fascinating idea but man it just was not an enjoyable series all around

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 24, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Japan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

So I'm catching up with Hatsukoi Zombie, and this series should end with Tarou just rejecting both actual human girls and living his life as an incel who is in love with his own delusion.

I feel bad for Ebino, because she's been doomed this entire time, despite being much better than Ibusuki.
How far in are you?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
First rule of romcoms or romance series with multiple potential love interests: the best girl never wins. There's only one series I can think of where they did, the one with the crossdressing boy and the "ice queen" girl who just had a severe phobia of men

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah honestly the most "appropriate" girl won in twgok even if I disagree

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dexo posted:

She was always the right girl, and the second best girl overall

Yui is the best girl.

nope, ayumi :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Monster Secret was never a harem, from the word go he was only interested in one girl. Sure, there were almost half a dozen others interested in him, but it was almost more a series about them getting over that in various ways than him being indecisive for 200 chapters over ~what girl should I go with~

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dexo posted:

Invictus continues to be the most wrong person in the world.

Ayumi caps out at 3. I can see her being better than the other canidates. But Chihiro and Yui are a tier above her.
You're spouting nonsense. The post saying Chihiro was the correct choice but not the right choice was the most accurate.

Jose posted:

If it's a harem series it's bad
read My Monster Secret jose

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new watamote

Kato is either flirting a lot or hiding her from ucci, either way is entertaining.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gonna get that and have it forever, seriously an insanely good deal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I've been thinking about catching up with One Piece, so this is perfect timing for me. (Last time I was caught up was when Luffy met Bartolomeo)
If you've not finished dressrosa probably the worst part of the entire series is ahead of you(the birdcage) but after that it's been absolutely stellar ever since, and the current arc is fan-loving-tastic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpazmasterX posted:

Everyone knows that sex in harem manga always ends in unplanned teenage pregnancy and then the child is hit by a truck 16 years later.
lol jesus

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kidcoelacanth posted:

I started reading Watamote and whoo boy this is a rough read in the early goings
because of the sheer cringe or because you don't like it

edit: I forgot it doesn't introduce more than like 3 other characters for almost seven volumes lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 19, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
after it got an anime, I picked up a humble bundle that had the first few volumes of Tokyo Revengers in it and they're really great, I read the fourth volume as well and hoo boy that's a helluva volume alright. Does it stay this interesting throughout or does it turn to poo poo at a certain point? No spoilers necessary, just curious if it stays as good as those first four volumes were or not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
as long as it's not something stupidly gauche and cliche as Naoto was secretly behind it all along for [REASONS]!!! I think I'd be fine with most twists. maybe.

based on the ending of volume 4 I'm also getting this feeling of Life Is Strange-esque "can't dodge fate without some exorbitant price" type situation. guess I'll see! outside of a few things like a weird couple of scenes with Emma, tokyo revengers has been really great. reminds me of Erased but marginally more lighthearted, though totally ready to sucker punch you at a moment's notice and make sure you actually see what's happening rather than imply it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
all is one piece. one piece is all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been binging Tokyo revengers and while it is getting rather soap opera-ey in it's story and character convolutedness, I don't hate it. The necessary ramping up of problems means it's gotten a bit ridiculous by the end of volume 15, but so long as the series doesn't go on for another 20 volumes, I think it can go a few more arcs yet and end with a solid finish without the core premise getting exhausting.

edit: ehhhhh, yanno what, the series was doing pretty alright until they decided to(volume 17 big spoilers) fridge Emma. Having the pure, innocent friendly girl that was around occasionally but not really get much of any development beyond "cute, likes draken, is mikey's sister" get iced to motivate/demotivate the hero group just doesn't do it for me at all. been having a lot of "goku sparing frieza" vibes with kisaki through much of the series, when he's murdering everyone in worse and worse ways constantly no matter what takemichi does, you'd think takemichi would just loving kill him.

I'll keep reading it, but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about it as before. It just feels like the author deciding well, I've had this in my back pocket in case I needed to amp up the stakes even more, so here we gooooo with this.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 3, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy poo poo lmao the author is just doing this on purpose now with volume 18

I don't think it's possible for a character to be a named woman over the age of 5 in this series and not end up murdered or die horrifically and conveniently somehow what a crock of poo poo lol. I think yuzuha is the only one who hasn't been killed. yet. just brutally beaten, repeatedly, for years, by an abusive older brother. though the reveal with her and hakkai was a pretty good twist.

it's kind of incredible how quickly I've turned on this series. it was real strong the first, say, dozen volumes or so, but it's been getting increasingly convoluted and now it's just asspulling tragedy after tragedy after flashback tragedy to try to make you care. and all it does is make me not. It's not making me go "oh, this is the last straw, he's definitely gotta kill kisaki for sure now" because that should've been the case the first dozen times he murdered or tried to murder people, repeatedly, and exulted in it so I'm just like "yeah, no poo poo idiot, where were you like ten volumes ago". and the author seems to to have been setting up for a while now something with Kisaki having something going on in the background too, maybe timejumping himself. but it just doesn't even matter anymore, the author's been jerking off this potential plot device for so long that it's gone flaccid, who cares?

since I'm already this far, I'll probably just catch up to whatever currently translated volume is out and then drop it until it's over, then maybe read a summary of how it turned out. bummer. takemichi just kinda never really physically improving or getting stronger and just sitting there letting people punch him has gotten pretty tiring too. like in rokudou's bad girls, rokudou realized he was incredibly weak and made efforts to get actually physically stronger, learn martial arts, etc in order to better be able to defend himself and others rather than have to be rescued all the time, but there's been maybe 2? times in the entire series of tokyo revengers where takemichi hasn't gotten punched a few times and then someone else steps in just in the nick of time to take over the fight once he's too battered to stand.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, I caught up(chapter 203), and this is me right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Real solid epilogue going, a lengthy one too, could probably fill almost an entire volume! The last couple arcs, not great! But the epilogue stuff, pretty drat good, great character moments and banter, very cute interactions with the main cast, a fine way to end things, not a 100% happy ending, but good enough!

And then the series is like BUT WAIT, DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL!

This is the curse of a successful serialization, I suppose.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
watamote has been in a leadup arc to the school festival and making a film to show at said festival for what feels like a hundred loving chapters now(not that I minded, since it was a lot of fun with the entire cast)

well, they've begun screening the movie at the festival, finally and in typical watamote fashion, it's absolutely perfect

tomoko's student film is here to remind you that watamote still has serious cringe chops

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh hey, that's a good series. my only real complaints about it is he was somehow amazingly skilled and useful to everyone but still was that bottom rank, rather than getting recruited for something less dangerous but more suitable for his extremely apparent skills, and the series gets rid of the whole "being a loving skeleton/zombie and trying to walk around society unnoticed" thing way too quickly, turning him into a form that is passable in general society pretty quickly. still, surprisingly fun series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the power of candy kits

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
literally came to post that exact thing lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alacron posted:

This feels ominous.

ar an ai mi

What could it mean, these connected letters! A mystery!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the new watamote is a side chapter set 15 years into the future. it's great

"why did you just kill me off like that?"

"I was being realistic."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is mangaplus not working right now or is it something on my end. I wanna read the newest chainsawman and marriagetoxin, but nothing is loading on the app and webpage versions are 404s.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

vanquished boner posted:

going directly to helck after trying this was such a breath of fresh air!!! helck is such a heartwarming big brother figure :kimchi: it’s way funnier too
all done with Helck? well, do I have good news for you, the author of Helck has started a new series, Volundio: Divergent Sword Saga

it's on Comikey, so it costs money(typical "buy a bunch of keys, each chapter costs x keys" setup) but it's really not that expensive. and Volundio is extremely good, I might say I like it more than Helck so far!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new watamote

this most recent chapter(222.2) provides a level of cringe that I haven't gotten from this series in a long, long time. vintage watamote cringe, if you will.

tomoko's friend group becoming increasingly insane while tomoki continues to just be a normal guy increasingly irritated from being surrounded by insane people is one of my favorite parts of this manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the watamote trainwreck continues unabated

I really don't like Komiyama. She was kind of interesting when she was originally introduced as someone who really openly disliked tomoko, but she's been written into being intensely unappealing and pathetic in every way and isn't entertaining like tomoko. like, that one girl who kissed tomoki by accident during the play, she sucks a lot but it's specifically in a way that results in being entertaining because of other character's interactions, but Komiyama, every single time, just results in "ugh, not her again" from both readers AND the characters in the manga! the cast of watamote has gotten pretty bloated, but most of the characters manage to have one gimmick or amusing aspect to them, but Komiyama's gimmick seems to be "ruins the atmosphere whenever she enters the room".