Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

I defy anyone to make sense of the word salad that is page three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I hope this is the start of going full-on :black101:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nate RFB posted:

One Piece is still king when it comes to shounen fighters overall, but Oda does not do all that well with his female characters in just about any respect.

Expecting decent female characters in any media is something of a long shot, but in manga it's pretty loving difficult.

That's not an excuse, I'm just pointing out that it's not particularly specific to One Piece, so if they can get past that problem in other manga, they can get past it in One Piece.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Well, One Piece has had female characters engaging in interesting fights and suchlike at times, but since there's only about four major female characters and one body type, it's a little difficult to find them as the focal point. That I definitely agree with, even though One Piece is still pretty great.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If you're trying to read something without any obnoxious, unavoidable fanservice, then whatever you do, don't read Fairy Tail.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Yeah, and that's what I generally do, really. There's a reason I said my expectations are moderate. I was just asking on the outside chance of any outstanding recommendations I might have missed. I'm satisfied with anything that's a good read and doesn't make me totally roll my eyes.

Eyeshield 21 does not have a vast number of female characters, in fact you're kind of stuck with 2 being anything more than essentially guest appearances for short story arcs, but the series does not really do much in the way of fanservice. Which is amazing since at least 50% of the women showing up are cheerleaders, and most other mangas would be all over that for the chance to draw pantyshots and unrealistic cleavage.

Plus it just so happens to be the greatest sports manga ever created, provided you like American football as played by superhumans ranging from 4 feet tall to 14 feet tall.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
That was some good dream imagery, too. I'm a sucker for good dream imagery.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

AnonSpore posted:

Jump's motto is Friendship, Effort, Victory; you can argue that Death Note didn't fit that motto

Friendship with a death god, Effort into your endless schemes and plans, and the eventual Victory of the law over your genocidal madness :colbert:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Pierson posted:

Hahaha what was it? Would he die if he got a boner or something?

Funnily enough there's a shonen manga with that exact premise.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Ok so I got to the part where he smuggles the level one monsters into the city by letting them latch onto him, since his defense is too high for their attacks to hurt him, so he can intimidate the shopkeeper - and I laughed. Guess I'm reading all of it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SgtMongoose posted:

X-Men Psyren?

Man, that series was so great, but had such an abrupt ending. I really hate the dumb cancellation policies that scrap good stuff but allow sheer garbage to continue simply because it's drenched in fanservice.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The thing with Fairy Tail is that it sees the big emotional payoffs that One Piece did - Arlong Park, Going Merry, and so forth - and goes "yeah, I want that too!"

Except it doesn't have the patience to do 50 or 60 chapters worth of setup so you go straight into everyone crying about how they're such good friends and all that sort of thing, and it just falls incredibly flat. But then it doesn't realize that this is the case so it just does it again and again and again, basically every seven chapters going "hey are you emotionally invested yet? Here's a crying girl! No? OK, I'll be back again soon with more crying girls" like a pushy waiter offering you bread.

Fairy Tail could have been pretty good if it hadn't drenched itself in fanservice and just learned a little patience, but it might be too late now. Still, it's not as bad as some other mangas out there.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I really liked Psyren, the psychic powers were really interesting, almost Stand-like in how they have a basic concept and then grow from that. But, yeah, the storyline flags a little later on, and then it takes a sudden turn where it's obvious some editor said "you have 20 chapters left to wrap things up and that's it".

I kinda wish it'd gotten a better shake, or at least that there'd be another psychic-power-based shonen series popping up afterwards. Tokyo ESP was great but it's so infrequent and I'm not really enjoying the new plotlines as much as the old ones.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's basically Death Note but inverted. Instead of grotesque murder fairies handing out deadly books for shits and giggles, it's morally ambiguous angels handing out divine powers for the hunger games, bible edition. Also the protagonist isn't a remorseless sociopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

NikkolasKing posted:

A series about a bunch of mangaka doesn't sound very interesting.... I mean, I'm sure some mangaka live pretty interesting lives, especially with how hellish weekly series are in Japan, but it's not something I have any interest in reading a story about.

Is it actually better or more interesting than it sounds?

Bakuman is pretty fun but it suffers from two things: primarily that it's a Jump manga about fictional mangas published by Jump, so while it can have zany antics from the artists/writers, it always has to depict Jump as being fair and equitable and basically the best. There's never any real criticism of the way that Jump does things, because there's no way Jump would ever let that be published.

Second is that Kaya isn't given more attention. Best character by a long shot.

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey, Light wasn't a sociopath! He was just kind of a dickhead.

Maybe I'll check out a preview chapter or something. It sounds kinda whatever.

Light was literally a sociopath. He murders swathes of people, and exploits many others, to try and accomplish his incredibly self-centred goal of ruling the planet. That's a little beyond "kind of a dickhead".