Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At the very least Mizukami is seinen, even if it does appear to be shounen at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rosario+Vampire is honestly pretty bad. I don't mean bad like the anime was, I mean even the "good" chapters that have been going on for 40 or so chapters or whatever. It's just really generic and unimaginative. You can predict just about every "twist" or fight with ease. It feels like it came off a factory production line for shounen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know this is kind of a silly question, but has Again changed or gotten better in these later chapters? I dropped it around the time they introduced the rival midget ouendan leader. I thought the concept for the series was pretty great but did not care about the ouendan stuff at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SpazmasterX posted:

His older sister.
The sister hasn't been shown yet, though we see her legs a few times in chapter 1.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I'm the only one who still thinks that Rosario+Vampire is Real Bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even I will say that's not entirely fair, because that material was even worse. Generic, bad comedy, high fanservice, laughable action, you know the drill. In the "sequel" it's been made darker/edgier/moreextreme/noreallytakeusseriouslynow but it's still incredibly generic and predictable (I will straight call anyone who hasn't seen the last 10+ "twists" coming a liar). The characters are still cardboard cutouts and overall it offers nothing over most other shounen fighters (an already low bar).

As for your question, maybe Claymore? Though it's been kind of boring lately.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DrSunshine posted:

Read One Piece. Getting the volumes (try the local library!) is highly recommended because of the terrible terrible online scanlation quality for the first half or so. If you can adapt to the somewhat unconventional art style, the story just ramps up and up and up!
One Piece is still king when it comes to shounen fighters overall, but Oda does not do all that well with his female characters in just about any respect.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah but the question was specifically about having female characters doing "interesting stuff". That just isn't One Piece no matter how you slice it.

E: It's still worth reading in general, of course! I love OP. Just isn't the best response to that question.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 5, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, have you been to a library? They are dens of evil!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
coathat you are not wrong but it sure becomes tiresome when you trawl every thread in ADTRW looking for the chance to flash your moral police badge.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If in the past 10 years you've wondered how Full Metal Panic! would end but have gotten tired of waiting for KyoAni to ever animate any more of it, the final volume of Full Metal Panic! Sigma dropped a few days ago which wraps up the whole thing.

It got pretty god drat Hollywood towards the end, but for what it was I thought it was a pretty good story. It's nice at least having some closure on something I first watched 10 god drat years ago.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yumekui Merry continues to be way more entertaining than it has any right to be.

E: Batoto says it's seinen noooooooooooo

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 10, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's probably fine here as well, but we've been discussing it in the Surreal Daily Life thread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

Hunter x Hunter isn't bland, though.
I agree, something has to actually exist for us such an assessment in the first place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember that some parts are a bit more gruesome in the manga (such as what Hiei ultimately does to Mukuro's abusive father).

I love YYH a lot. I still think it's the only time I've truly enjoyed a tournament arc in a shounen story; everything else feels like a pretender. Man does the quality fall off a cliff once (Sensui arc) Yusuke is revived a second time though. It's almost jarring how different it is before/after.

Overall though I'll even go out on a limb and say that I like YYH more than HxH, if only because it never became the shuffling corpse that HxH has become ever since Greed Island ended. Even that would have probably been forgivable if not for the terrible release schedule and artwork.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I rewatched the anime 6 or 7 years ago when Funimation finished it (which was significant because it meant there was a translation you could actually understand for the final few arcs for the first time) and I thought it was great. Until the aforementioned instant drop in quality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

pandaK posted:

I felt this way with HxH. I just don't understand why it's popular. Everyone I talk to says that it's because it's a great shonen series with good action and creative fights, and maybe if I just looked at the pictures I would agree. But the mangaka felt necessary to include text boxes in practically every scene to narrate just what was going on. I felt it was telling the story a lot more than showing. Am I alone in this feeling?
Togashi's villains are his greatest strength in my opinion; certainly many were memorable in YYH, but I think it was especially apparent in HxH with the Genei Ryodan. He could craft characters that were at once repulsive and yet extremely fascinating, decisively abhorrent and yet easy to root for. The TV show Hannibal springs to mind as a loose sort of comparison to that feeling. Anyway, that was a big reason I came to enjoy his works; I always seemed to like the most unconventional or ostensibly the more unlikeable characters the most (Kuwabara was easily my favorite in YYH for example).

None of the big bads after the Genei Ryodan ever seemed to measure up, which was one reason why I lost interest with HxH over time.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 1, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

See also Oh My Goddess which I hear is actually ending after what, thirty years and is pretty legendary for the main couple never so much as kissing.
They kissed a few times! It just never went beyond that, which wound up getting a really silly hand wave excuse in the final arc.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 12, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

Hahaha what was it? Would he die if he got a boner or something?
Heaven basically sealed his sexual drive to prevent procreation between humans and gods. I couldn't stop laughing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just read the manga. Brotherhood's beginning is really half-assed and they still wound up cutting out some good parts here and there throughout the run.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fabricated posted:

The original FMA anime is pretty hosed up and dark at times and while it kinda falls apart at the end and makes no sense, it's a gently caress of a lot more interesting than Brotherhood/the manga because the manga literally ends like a JRPG with a boring saccharine ending after a boss fight in space.
For many years this was my stance as well, but the manga eventually won me over. Arakawa just does a lot more interesting things with her characters compared to BONES' take, and ultimately it was a lot more satisfying and cohesive narratively.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't think of a single redeeming factor for Eureka Seven AO, at least. It was pretty bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So Claymore just finished its run. It started slow, got pretty great for a good stretch, kind of petered off but ultimately did have a pretty good last couple of chapters. The biggest issues with it was keeping track of all the similar-looking characters between monthly releases (it really should have been a weekly series). Now that that's not a problem anymore, I hope any new readers will like it even more. It's a pretty solid series if you're looking for something new to read.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The author is apparently still plugging away too; a new Banner volume came out in 2013 and a short story collection came out this year. Just no anime for them :sigh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's a legit novel series like LOGH. Tokyopop translated the first three (Crest) but I remember it being kind of bad because they did some weird stuff with the Abh terms. It's a trade off I would've taken though if they had actually pressed on, since some Banner is better than none at all.

Going off of the simulwatch from a few years Crest of the Stars at least still holds up very well. There's so much more to see and do in that world, it's aggravating that something like Index can have like 30+ volumes and this had to make do with like 11 over 20 years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

madmac posted:

It's unfortunate that so few manga have good, well-placed endings. Most series either abruptly get axed/author quits and have maybe 2-6 chapters to slap together an ending, or else they're too popular to die and just get dragged out well past the point that anyone still gives a poo poo by the end.
Satoshi Mizukami seems to have a pretty good thing going; Biscuit Hammer was 10 volumes and clearly ended exactly the way it was meant to and I can't help but feel that Spirit Circle has had an ending in mind since the beginning and won't overstay its welcome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GodFish posted:

Starts out bad, then gets fantastic.
And then back to bad again in time for the ending.

E: I think I recommended Houshin Engi to you once Cake Attack in the rec thread; it is pretty good. Also everyone has big feet for some reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

Jesus loving christ, the comments are all people talking about how much they like middle school girls.

edit: "She's a middle schooler you pedo!! Although I can't say I disagree with you..."
Do what I did and add these as a custom filter to adblock+:

||disqus.com/embed/comments/?*
kissmanga.com##div[id="float_content"]

Second gets rid of that weird box kissmanga always has in the lower right hand corner.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Posted about this in the one manga page thread but it's probably worth mentioning here as well; Haru no Houtai Shoujo is a pretty nice mystery/drama/romance with a decent amount of twists and turnsr. The main character somehow is able to summon fire from his hand, but not in any way that he can control it which results in numerous complications and tragedies. It has a handful of story beats that really feel like the author was a fan of Persona 4 and in general just seems like something worth following in these dreary times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you haven't already pick up Spirit Circle, it was close for a while but I'd say it's currently a better overall work than Biscuit Hammer.

There was a new chapter of that burning girlfriend mystery manga I posted about earlier: Haru no Houtai Shoujo 16 What a twerp. Still think that the dude is a red herring, or at least wasn't responsible for the fire that killed that girl's family.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i read up to the part where he was a samurai in spirit circle. does it get better from there? i wasnt super impressed.
Don't know what to tell you Dick, samurai arc is probably my favorite. Though the two after it are really trippy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah it's Young King Ours like Biscuit Hammer so it's seinen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irritated Goat posted:

Have there been any fighting manga starting since Naruto? I read OP\Bleach\Hero Academy but I'm like a drat crack addict. Horrible tropes are my fuel. I need more. :goatdrugs:
Did you ever read Claymore? That finished a while back and was a pretty fun shounen-like take on Berserk.

E: I would also throw down for Houshin Engi, that was pretty good.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 18, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Claymore essentially turned into DBZ in the final volume and I mean that in the best possible way. I enjoyed it. It dragged a little bit in a few of the final arcs to get there but I was happy with how it went out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was the most Yotsuba& chapter a Yotsuba& chapter could be.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not going to necro the Magi thread because I don't really think it deserves it, but Magi's latest chapter just revealed Arba somehow body surfed into Hakuryuu's sister, Kouen isn't really dead, there will be a 2 year time skip, and that the last arc will apparently start at the end of October. So yeah, that will be a thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was definitely the low point of the series and while it did get better I don't think it ever really fully recovered. I think overall it got too preoccupied with the various wars when it should've gone back to the more adventurous tone in the earlier arcs. The final arc will almost certainly be a final war of the main characters vs. Sinbad/Arba to boot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't like Medaka Box but there was this one meta thing it did (among too many to list, really) that was just brilliant. The "villain" as it were allies with the main character to take down the heroine and titular character of the story. But since she is The Heroine and has too many plot powers to actually beat in any sort of confrontation in a battle manga, they decide to switch genres and instead "beat" her by confessing to her (since the MC obviously is in love with her) as if it were a romantic comedy and thus nullify her plot invincibility. And it works.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was posting this wrongly in the Seinen thread because I forgot what magazine it was in, but Railgun has gotten a few more updates and it's finally doing what looks like its next big/serious arc after a bunch of silly BS chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I haven't posted about Magi in a while but I really, really like the way things are going in the latest arc (Chapter 291). It's the best the series has been in ages.