Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Hello new thread. Have some Again!! Ch. 31, won't you?

To build on the OP's write-up, Again!! is cool because it manages to take the piss out of lots of classic shonen elements without becoming a total parody. Imamura knows for a fact that he's got to change, but that doesn't mean he's buying into any of this hot-blooded burning spirit hard work guts fight power of friendship bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Jackard posted:

Is that dark haired guy they always show on the cover supposed to be Imamura?

If you're talking about this cover, that's Hiro-kun, Fujieda's crush/stalkee.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Datenshi Gakuen Debipara is a manga with an incredibly generic premise. However, it is actually a comedy and not a shounen fighting manga like the description would suggest. It is actually hilarious, even.
http://mangafox.me/manga/datenshi_gakuen_debipara/

Nothing about the art style says 'comedy' to me, but it's got real potential. Rin is the best kind of idiot.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! Ch. 32!

In which Chankuma can't even make it through the title page without being a creeper, Fujieda gives a chalk talk, Usami dishes out some headbutts, and it looks like an old enemy is out to get Imamura!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 3, 2013

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sket Dance 235!

There haven't been nearly enough Switch chapters lately, so this is like a gift from the gods!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 33!

In which it turns out it was all a dream and now life sucks again :smith:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

But that loving gesu guy, he ruins any chapter he's in. :argh:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 34!

It's a wonderful life, ain't it, Imamura?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I totally want to see Sket Dan 2.0 doing 'the pose' each time they screw up a job animated.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 35!

More parallel-world exposition. The breakout star of this chapter is, without a doubt, Chankuma's sweater.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 36!

In which Usami picks the wrong time to go all hot-blooded, and Imayama, or whatever his name is... wait, I must be thinking of someone else.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Don't start reading Ippo. Read RRR instead.

Seconding.

Also, if you can mentally squint past all the baseball and pretend it's just the story of a hot-blooded teacher helping out a class of delinquents with great, super-expressive art, Rookies is a lot of fun.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 37!

OK, kinda dragging a bit. I do like how headbutting things seems to be Usami's go-to course of action, though.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 38!

More smoochin, more headbutts.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 40!

In which we are led to wonder just how many of Chankuma's shirts and jackets have the word "gently caress" on them somewhere.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 29, 2013

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 41 and 42!

"I'm back from the future, and we're gettin' the band back together, man!"

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 43 and 44!

In which Imamura tries to take advantage of the high school rumor mill in the dumbest way possible,

and we get another glorious Usamiface.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 45!

In which a course of action is quickly decided and just as quickly discarded.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular 43!

This is why the term 'NSFW' exists, Tomoko! Hope you learned your lesson, and don't end up with a traumatizing nickname!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 24, 2013

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 46!

"I thought I was being really positive." :(

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 47!

And here I thought Super Mario was supposed to be good at jumping up and breaking things.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 48

and 49!

In which yelling. That is all.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 50!

In which all the action that was missing from the last two chapters is found, we play another round of gently caress yeah, Shibata :dance: / oh no, Shibata! :ohdear:, and no one knows where Toronto is.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 23, 2013

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sket Dance 252!

We're done with the dramatic arc and back to more random nonsense, which is what you should be reading Sket Dance for, anyway. Great chapter.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

toanoradian posted:

Hey, remember from the last thread that amazing oneshot about a deaf girl and bullies? The series, based on that oneshot, starts now! You should check it out.

Fingers crossed for this one, I loved the oneshot.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 51

and 52!

In which the ouendan dares to be stupid, and this time it's Suzuki with the save!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Allarion posted:

A whole volume's worth of chapters for Again, starting from Chapter 53.

Man, I feel like I've seen protagonist baseball teams lose more than actually getting a win in shonen, and they never go to Koshien.

drat, to say this is a lot to process at once would be an understatement. I love the way this guy draws reaction faces, both comedic and serious.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is so beautiful. :3:

I hope it lasts. :ohdear:

(it won't :cry:)

I counted at least 5 rounds worth of "gently caress yeah, Shibata!" :dance: / "Oh, no, Shibata!" :ohdear:

Nate RFB posted:

I know this is kind of a silly question, but has Again changed or gotten better in these later chapters? I dropped it around the time they introduced the rival midget ouendan leader. I thought the concept for the series was pretty great but did not care about the ouendan stuff at all.

[General raw spoilers]

After the baseball game, the organized ouendan stuff drops off a lot. Volume 7 is one long game of "gently caress yeah, Shibata!" :dance: / "Oh, no, Shibata!" :ohdear:, and volume 8 sees the gang helping out the Drama Club. Hiro also gets a much bigger role (as a tremendous dick), and, for the first time in my knowledge, a Japanese mangaka makes an artistic reference to Little Orphan Annie.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 65!

Burning spirit makes you look cool.

Sket Dance 253!

Drugs make you look cool.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 28, 2013

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 66

and 67!

In which Shibata gets a haircut, the Ouendan's profile rises a bit, Hiro-kun fails to keep a secret, we learn exploiting knowledge of the future can be kinda tough,
and finally, Usamiface.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 68!

In which Hiro-kun makes some pretty good points for some pretty bad reasons.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

Imamura seems to think he's not worthy of her/will inevitably gently caress it up. Which is... a pretty natural outgrowth of his lack of self-esteem, zero experience and generally pessimistic outlook, I guess.

I was waiting for the next chapter to make a it a double, but yeah, chapter 69 makes it crystal-clear: Convinced he's going to screw it up anyway, Imamura sets out to screw it up as quickly as possible.

Too bad for him Shibata gets impressed by the weirdest things.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 72!

In which Shibata refuses to cut her losses, and even Imamura's grandma gets fed up with how determined he is to avoid affection.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

And the curly haired sidekick friend dude is really the best Curly Haired Sidekick Friend.

How quickly we forget about Onani Master Kurosawa's CHSF.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Two more new chapters of Sket Dance, and they're both real winners (even though competition is a fool's game and ranking brings strife).

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 73!

In which Imamura, after loving up his plan to gently caress things up with Shibata on purpose, fucks things up.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 74!

In which Hiro-kun makes more good points for bad reasons, Aki gives Usami a run for her money in 'crazyface', and the Drama Club arc officially begins.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 75!

In which Aki finds her 'ouendan', and Imamura continues his world-class lecture series, 'How to Hurt Women's Feelings'.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! ch. 78!

(and here's ch. 77 in case you missed it two weeks ago... like I did :blush:)

In which Imamura demonstrates empathy for once, Aki gets beaten to the punch, and the Ouendan gets some new recruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Allarion posted:

New chapter of Again.

Well this can't be good. :ohdear:

I must admit Again!! kinda fell off my radar with this Drama Club arc, but Hanataka's little twitter updates make for a pretty good running gag.