Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

cute hell’s paradise epilogue chapter and it’s a heartwarming touch that gabimaru found the gourd they grew legitimately delicious, as opposed to play-acting for his wife’s sake :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I really like service wars. one of the funnier gag shonen I’ve read in a while

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

your welcome. at this rate its going to burn itself out in less than 50 chapters but it’s extremely funny

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

service wars makes me guffaw every chapter

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I started reading akane-banashi but it’s basically a fighting manga transplanted into rakugo and I’m not as into it as I am other performance or art-based manga like show-ha shoten, oshi no ko, blue period, act-age, bakuman etc.. it’s ok but I haven’t been gripped yet by chapter 20ish, and her dad is basically treated as if he’s dead by the narrative

panko fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 19, 2023

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’ll give it a read, thanks for the recommendation

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

oshi no ko is a hodgepodge of several disparate, popular genres (in a way that feels way more market-researched and deliberate than most manga, probably because the characters put work into researching what audiences respond to in the text) but it very frequently delves into the nitty-gritty of what makes a performance/ performer/work exceptional, the psychology of art and entertainment, and the push/pull of doing something for the audience vs. for yourself, so it delivers what I want from this theme without giving me the feeling that I’m reading a battle manga like akane-banashi does

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think it's more that there's a lot of potential character developments / interactions that could be happening between them that unfortunately don't happen. I think she still lives with her parents, right? Even if not, she still presumably sees / talks with them relatively often. I have to think that at SOME point she'd want to talk with her dad about the career choice he inspired in her. If she doesn't talk to him about it, it could be a good show of her character WHY she doesn't feel comfortable doing so.

So far the story has mostly treated him like he's deceased or non-existent, which is just kind of a strange choice.

yeah it’s this

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I read further into akane-banashi and I’m entertained but that’s because I like ippo, kenichi, holyland, kengan, meguru, teppu, baki…

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

also my criticism of the lack of her father’s presence is from the first 25 chapters, and I’m currently at 51. all this time her dad’s absence has been palpable

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

she’s a pretty minor character from their high school that you’d miss if you’re skimming the joke chapters, iirc her speaking debut was in a chapter where they imbued a bread man with sentience to find out if a boy liked her back

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

started reading marriage-toxin because of the positive posts in this thread and I really love the format of goof-off / setup / assassin fight / date. It makes for a very pleasant read and I hope it runs for long enough to have some of these early dates return

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess i'm still just assuming its fairly early in and whenever it gets to a major arc it will involve a bunch of returning characters.

Though I guess beast arc was kinda the first "big" dramatic arc and that was only new folk.

I’m currently up to here and that’s not quite true, water user just rolled up

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

can we begin a list of “mildly esoteric dessert item that the shonen protagonist enjoys, as a running gag?” I have a few:

mash - cream puffs
saiki - coffee jelly
gero - diy candy kits

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

from my experience with series like chainsaw man, you can usually read missing app chapters on the website. there was probably enough titty for the chaps to be flagged. ps certain series like fire punch are website-only if you didn’t already know

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it’s kind of heartwarming and nostalgic reading the marriagetoxin comments on the viz app and seeing everyone rooting for their favourite potential partner for gero. hamster girl is the clear favourite but it doesn’t seem like anyone has any poo poo to talk about any of the others. refreshing

also caution tape sarashi is an extremely powerful look

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m surprised at how good witch watch is at tugging my heartstrings sometimes

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

witch-watch being #1 after the colour is most surprising to me, I was looking through the hottest tag on manga plus and was surprised to see it all the way down at #60. I like it well enough because I like shinohara’s work but would personally put it in like, top 20 of actively-publishing works on the platform

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

service wars is in an extremely unserious tournament arc right now and it owns

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

pouring a little bit of olive oil out for bambino

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I wouldn’t know, I gave up on secondo after a couple of chapters. unless this happened in primo and I forgot but that’s kind of like dropping FMA after maes gets smoked

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

marriage-toxin continues to own

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

hell yeah

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

enjoy your delve into dungeon meshi, it is in my opinion one of the best manga of all time, nose-to-tail

hxh is long past its prime but when it’s at its best togashi’s deftly threading the needle between subverting and embracing popular shonen trends decades before mangaka like fujimoto and one made it de rigueur. if you liked your readthrough of yyh you’ll definitely enjoy post-greed island hxh

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

a lot of good stuff that was originally published in japanese jump plus, big ones for me being dandandan, marriagetoxin, and you and I are polar opposites, though I also like service wars, oshi no ko, shibatarian, me and my gangster neighbour, and red cat ramen

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

cool, I remember discovering that the site had some more mature themes manga when I went to go read the chapter of chainsaw man part 1 that is missing on the app and I ended up reading fire punch via the sj site, but I let my subscription lapse a while ago when it went from a buck a month to three and have been using mangaplus exciusively since. any other site-only manga worth mentioning?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

oshi no soul

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the awful manga parody chapters just had a hilarious payoff a few chapters ago though

edit: my sole qualm with witch watch is that the sket dance crossover chapters were underwhelming

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

world trigger has been a manga about metagaming since the end of its first arc and I’ve resigned myself to not remembering 90% of the character’s names or personality traits but I like it. reading about people gaining incremental advantages or sussing out broken strategies via ingenuity makes the gamer in me smile

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah I think one piece is going to end before world trigger starts the away mission arc

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

just read the world trigger chapter and even though vitals strike only procs 10% of the time it’s an instant kill irrespective of damage dealt so putting that on a unit that sprays and prays sounds like a winning strategy to me. excited to see what the gamers in the cast cook up (who are those again? the guy with the flappy hat and one of the glasses-wearing operators?)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I know it’s early but mma is shaping up to challenge the pantheon of alltimer punchmanga

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

since its shonen the period after this fight is likely going to feature asumi having a crisis of conscience but I’d love to have my expectations subverted and have him go full violence enjoyer. teppu’s premature demise left me wanting

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

me too but we did get to see nao kick some rear end already and I expect to see her kick more rear end throughout the series. don’t want to assume though. might make an as out of u & mi

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I forgot how good noda is at depicting prodigious idiots

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

CodfishCartographer posted:

I really want to implore people to give Magical Girl Tsubame a shot, it's so loving good.

I’m giving this a read off of this recommendation and the story is promising so far but moreso than any other manga I’ve read the art suffers for being in black and white. its pseudo-superflat/kawaii noir aesthetic is screaming to be in colour

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

marriagetoxin likers be informed: we have a gerocentric thread now

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I was wondering why dogsred was set in 2011. and now I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

service wars ended with chapter 37. if you’re ever in need a quick pick-me-up it was an exceptionally funny gag manga