Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Hey how does everybody read het's name in their heads? Do you read it "hat" or "nyet" (which I assume to be the correct pronunciation)?

It has a silent H and also a silent E. The remaining letter is click consonant, like what you'd use to get a horse to come over and eat an apple, or what you'd use as a way to quietly say "Hey, sport" while shooting two fingers at a cool kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

I would agree with you but Merriam-Webster includes "one slice of bread covered with food" as definition b for sandwich. :shrug:

That would make poo poo On A Shingle a sandwich when it is clearly a hate crime.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
Sorry to derail the sandwich chat, but my favorite candy bar is a Mars bar. A Snickers with wonderful almonds instead of terrible peanuts is the pinnacle of candy bar technology. Previous favorite candy bars, including the age range through which they were my favorite, are listed below:

- Nestle Crunch (before time began though age 11)
- Butterfinger (12 through 15)
- Three Musketeers (16 through 23)
- Kit Kat (24 though 30)

Sadly, the distribution of Mars bars seems to be somewhat select so on road trips I'm usually forced to resort back to a Kit Kat while getting gas. If someone can recommend a chain of gas stations which reliably stock Mars bars that would likely become my new favorite fuel provider.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Illegibly Eligible posted:

A Snickers with wonderful almonds instead of terrible peanuts is the pinnacle of candy bar technology... I'm usually forced to resort back to a Kit Kat while getting gas...

What the goddamn gently caress is wrong with you son? Do Snickers come in Wasabi flavor? Orange? Corn?

Kitkats do.

Case closed.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Who here enjoys working out? I am making a new list of cool people.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don't enjoy the actual act of working out but I like the results, so I do it anyway.

I suck at running, though. Running sucks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I like working in

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Android Bicyclist posted:

I don't enjoy the actual act of working out but I like the results, so I do it anyway.

I suck at running, though. Running sucks.

gently caress running. I do just enough cardio to keep my heart happy and would much rather do some farmer walks.

What kind of stuff do you do? I think a key to sustained exercise habits is finding stuff you like. I love rock climbing, for example.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
I enjoy hiking, does that count as working out? I try to get into lifting but it seems to be monotonous.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shine posted:

gently caress running. I do just enough cardio to keep my heart happy and would much rather do some farmer walks.

What kind of stuff do you do? I think a key to sustained exercise habits is finding stuff you like. I love rock climbing, for example.
I have a friend that's working on becoming a personal trainer, so i work out with him at the gym doing things from weight lifting to balance exercises to swimming.

As for cardio activities I also bike to & form work, but the reason I run is because I play airsoft (Army LARPing with bb guns). While I can do a patrol hike up & down hills all day, when I need to run to & from cover when being shot at I am pretty terrible. No way to improve that then actual running (wind sprints, suicides). :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

jalopybrown posted:

I enjoy hiking, does that count as working out? I try to get into lifting but it seems to be monotonous.

Hiking is excellent exercise.

What sort of lifting have you tried? There are very basic programs you can do 2x/week and still get the benefits of resistance training (stronger muscles, stronger bones, being attractive, etc). Did you work with a personal trainer? They tend to be dumb as hell and make their clients do stupid gimmicky poo poo that I'm pretty sure nobody actually enjoys.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shine posted:

What sort of lifting have you tried? There are very basic programs you can do 2x/week and still get the benefits of resistance training (stronger muscles, stronger bones, being attractive, etc). Did you work with a personal trainer? They tend to be dumb as hell and make their clients do stupid gimmicky poo poo that I'm pretty sure nobody actually enjoys.

Can you get a meaningful workout just doing pushups/pullups/situps?

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Shine posted:

Hiking is excellent exercise.

5x5, Is there anything with more variation in routines, the YLLS megathread is kind of intimidatingly large.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

While I can do a patrol hike up & down hills all day, when I need to run to & from cover when being shot at I am pretty terrible. No way to improve that then actual running (wind sprints, suicides). :(

Fortunately you get better at that in a hurry if you train it regularly. Try something basic, like doing interval sprints for 10 minutes twice per week. After warning up, run hard for 10 seconds, rest for 50, do ten cycles of that. There are plenty of smartphone apps that will keep track of the timing for you. Every session or two, cut down the rest period and/or up the run time so that eventually you are doing 30/30 or whatever. You should see major improvement after only a few weeks.

There are a billion ways to work on sprinting, this is just one simple approach that I pulled out of my rear end.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks a lot for that suggestion! I use regular Runkeeper for general running/biking, but I didn't know there's other apps that can focus on sprinting. Do you know any off the top of your cat-covered head?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

prefect posted:

Can you get a meaningful workout just doing pushups/pullups/situps?

Add squats (bodyweight, split squats, goblet squats) and replace the situps with planks (situps are hard on the spine) and you've got a decent little routine. The challenge with bodyweight stuff is making it harder other than adding more reps and such. It requires more creativity than "add 5lbs next time."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

jalopybrown posted:

5x5, Is there anything with more variation in routines, the YLLS megathread is kind of intimidatingly large.

If you scroll to the bottom of the Quick Start Guide in the YLLS General Thread (stickied) you'll see links to plenty of programs. If you find the 5x5 stuff boring, try the "Cavefish" routine, or one of the Alfalfa routines. There's lots more variety there.

E:

Thanks a lot for that suggestion! I use regular Runkeeper for general running/biking, but I didn't know there's other apps that can focus on sprinting. Do you know any off the top of your cat-covered head?

Search for "interval timer" or "hiit timer" and you should find dozens. You could swing by the YLLS running thread if you want to ask for advice from somebody who actually runs :).

Shine has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Mar 29, 2013

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Shine posted:

Who here enjoys working out? I am making a new list of cool people.

I'm pretty bad at it (I have an arrythmia! Don't hate me!) but I do yoga and swim fairly regularly, mostly because it's easier in the long run than not working out. I look at YLLS and TFLC sometimes but most of it intimidates me (though I like the women lifting weights thread!).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shine posted:

Add squats (bodyweight, split squats, goblet squats) and replace the situps with planks (situps are hard on the spine) and you've got a decent little routine. The challenge with bodyweight stuff is making it harder other than adding more reps and such. It requires more creativity than "add 5lbs next time."

A few months ago, I tried doing a basic yoga thing (I bought a DVD called "yoga for inflexible people"), and while doing the cat/cow maneuver, I injured my back (hooray back spasms). Now I'm afraid of yoga. Should I stop being a pussy, or is this a valid thing to worry about?

VVVV Will do.

prefect has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Mar 29, 2013

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

prefect posted:

A few months ago, I tried doing a basic yoga thing (I bought a DVD called "yoga for inflexible people"), and while doing the cat/cow maneuver, I injured my back (hooray back spasms). Now I'm afraid of yoga. Should I stop being a pussy, or is this a valid thing to worry about?

Ask your doctor, silly.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Shine posted:

Fortunately you get better at that in a hurry if you train it regularly. Try something basic, like doing interval sprints for 10 minutes twice per week. After warning up, run hard for 10 seconds, rest for 50, do ten cycles of that. There are plenty of smartphone apps that will keep track of the timing for you. Every session or two, cut down the rest period and/or up the run time so that eventually you are doing 30/30 or whatever. You should see major improvement after only a few weeks.

There are a billion ways to work on sprinting, this is just one simple approach that I pulled out of my rear end.

Checked a couple out and it seems there are programs beyond just cycling the same two routines, thanks. What are your opinions on Isometrics without equipment, can people actually make gains from these, even if it's quite a bit less than weights will offer?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I go to Planet Fitness for 40 minutes every day after work and sometimes my friends make fun of me for it because it's Planet Fitness but all they every do is play video games and cook and I do those when I get home anyway

Working out is a good thing and everybody should do it :)

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Shine, I never work out and I just got out of a lovely home situation, I'm weak as poo poo, what should I start doing?

I like swimming maybe I should swim

VV Ew, I looked for geocaches in my area and they're all in the new subdivisions, I get lost in those and their houses suck t:mad: VV

Suzuki Method has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Mar 29, 2013

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Suzuki Method posted:

Shine, I never work out and I just got out of a lovely home situation, I'm weak as poo poo, what should I start doing?

I like swimming maybe I should swim

While waiting on an answer for "how should I work out" I high encourage you to do a goony scavenger hunt

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539255

Do up geocaching, find one near where you live, jog to where it is, jog home

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
I absolutely adore running and I do it on a daily basis, usually 6-7 miles on an indoor track or jogging through nature. However, I loving hate lifting weights, partially cause I don't really know where to start and partially cause it makes me feel like a sore ball of poo poo. This has resulted in me being kind of a skinny fat runner shape with excellent endurance and muscular legs and the upper body of a prepubescent girl composed of mostly jello.

How do I go about fixing this? Am I just an exercise weirdo? This seems to be the opposite of most peoples problem where they hate the running.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hate pants posted:

I absolutely adore running and I do it on a daily basis, usually 6-7 miles on an indoor track or jogging through nature. However, I loving hate lifting weights, partially cause I don't really know where to start and partially cause it makes me feel like a sore ball of poo poo. This has resulted in me being kind of a skinny fat runner shape with excellent endurance and muscular legs and the upper body of a prepubescent girl composed of mostly jello.

How do I go about fixing this? Am I just an exercise weirdo? This seems to be the opposite of most peoples problem where they hate the running.

I heard Hugh Jackman being interviewed on a radio show once, and the host asked him how he got into such good shape. The host talked about how he ran long distances all the time, but was just skinny. Jackman said that long-distance running makes you skinny, and if you want to build some muscle, you have to do sprinting. (He probably lifts weights too, but I distinctly remember his saying that sprinting could make you muscly.)

prefect has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Mar 29, 2013

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BgRdMchne posted:

On a different note, what's the difference between a chicken ballotine and a chicken galantine?

You use one to vote, and the other you can drive? I dunno

Also working out owns bones, lift them weights, socialize, feel better about yourself, heave furniture overhead errday

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

hate pants posted:

Google for the book Brain over Brawn, it's goonwritten and really good and you can cop the 5x5x5 lifting program out of it and kinda go from there

Lift A Weight

(Bench, Deadlift, Squat for your bare minimum)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Wherever goons are discussing lovely food, Shine will appear like Superman to save them from their horrible lives.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Sandwiches can be nice :shobon:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Wherever goons are discussing lovely food, Shine will appear like Superman to save them from their horrible lives.

I eat Fruity Pebbles with chocolate milk, man.

E: followed by Chipotle quesarritos (Google it).

prefect posted:

I heard Hugh Jackman being interviewed on a radio show once, and the host asked him how he got into such good shape. The host talked about how he ran long distances all the time, but was just skinny. Jackman said that long-distance running makes you skinny, and if you want to build some muscle, you have to do sprinting. (He probably lifts weights too, but I distinctly remember his saying that sprinting could make you muscly.)

Celebrities who talk about how they get into great shape are:

1. Lying about 90% of their program.
And/or
2. Taking steroids, which are a magic bullet that makes even the shittiest program work well for getting ripped/"toned."
And/or
3. Have assistants who handle their entire training plan and cook all meals for them (proper macronutrients, etc.) so it's basically impossible for them to screw up, which is a luxury most of us don't have.

Ignore celebrities.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shine what's your favourite kind of sandwich

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

BUNNY LOAFS

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Shine what's your favourite kind of sandwich

Does a cheeseburger count if it has two grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a bun?

Otherwise, almond butter and strawberry jelly on double fiber bread, especially with a glass of whole milk from the local dairy farm. Welp I know what I'm having when I get home :allears:.

Sentimental favorite is the Quiznos Black Angus Steak Sandwich because I had it like every other day in high school.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Shine posted:

I eat Fruity Pebbles with chocolate milk, man.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

:laffo: This is basically every Sunday.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think I am happier being chubby, eating whatever I want and drinking beer by the gallon then I would be trying to be fit.

However I do miss being strong. I used to have a physically demanding job and now I don't and part of me misses being able to grab a 100lb sandbag and throw it over my shoulder like it ain't no thing. I realize I am not 19 anymore but would love to find a workout routine centered about getting stronger rather then getting "fit", if that makes any sense.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Shine posted:

I love rock climbing, for example.

We have a thread in the motherfucking subforum you mod, and you don't post there. :cmon:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

bunnielab posted:

I think I am happier being chubby, eating whatever I want and drinking beer by the gallon then I would be trying to be fit.

However I do miss being strong. I used to have a physically demanding job and now I don't and part of me misses being able to grab a 100lb sandbag and throw it over my shoulder like it ain't no thing. I realize I am not 19 anymore but would love to find a workout routine centered about getting stronger rather then getting "fit", if that makes any sense.

You can concentrate on strength, I think the theory is basically more weight, more sets but less reps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I like doing pushups and situps while watching Cosmos.

Also hiking. Hiking is great.

• Locked thread