Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'll get this out of the way early: I'm fairly new to this forum, and this hobby (well, as a discerning adult, anyway, I went through my youthful GW phase like everyone else), and Reaper is a very old hand on the scene - so my knowledge is perhaps not what it could be. I've researched to the best of my abilities, but I'm sure to have made mistakes, and left out useful information, and I'd very much appreciate it if you'd let me know where they are, so I can fix them/add the info. In particular, I'm not so hot on things like kicktraq, so if people want kickstarter stats and things, let me know (or make a post yourself, maybe). The images below are Reaper's, so if any of them need taking down because of copyvio, I'll be happy to do that.

E: :siren: As of 2 October, Bones II is a thing that is happening.:siren:

It is a thing I will be doing my best to stuidiously avoid paying attention to, as I have been forbidden from doign so by Management until I've painted all of Bones 1 (and also, unless there was some real assurance that RotW orders wouldn't be as messed up as they were this time, probably wouldn't order again). So, if people want to keep the thread up-to-date, or indeed close this one and make a new one, I wouldn't mind too much.

So, who are Reaper Miniatures?
At the risk of sounding facetious, these guys. Also these guys, on YouTube.

In a little more detail, Reaper is a Texas-based company primarily making miniatures for the hobbyist, and for tabletop RPGs, but also selling paints and modelling gear, and running an annual con. They also have a thriving forum, run several game systems (about which I know little, so please do post some information if you have it), and are licensed manufacturers for Pathfinder minis.

So, what do they make, like, specifically?
Several ranges of minis in white metal, resin, and plastic. One range, Legendary Encounters, comes pre-painted and pre-assembled, whilst the rest require you to lavish them with glue and paint and poo poo. Well, preferably less of the poo poo, but you know, whatever floats your boat. They produce minis in a variety of scales, genres and styles, from the outlandish far-future/time-travelly Chronoscope range, replete with cyber-gorillas, zombie-hunters, and mind flayers Bathalians, to the traditional fantasy Dark Heaven Legends and Pathfinder ranges; and from the steampunky Savage Worlds to the mechs of CAV strike operations.

But many, if not most, of us are here because of Bones. So...

Dark Heaven Bones! What's the deal?
The Dark Heaven Bones range premiered in early 2012 with a test range of 5 or 6 minis, priced from the large Purple Worm at $2.99, to packs of 3 minion-type critters for 3 to 5 bucks. Individual PC-type figures come in at around $1.50, which in a world where a single resin mini can set you back anywhere from $5 to $20, was a refreshing breath of fresh air. But it didn't stop there. 2012 was the year of the Bones Kickstarter.

Reaper announced the Reaper Miniatures Bones: an evolution of gaming miniatures Kickstarter campaign on 23 July 2013, and proceeded to utterly school the world of miniatures Kickstarters for the next two months, earning a grand total of $3,429,235 with nearly 18,000 backers, and a place in the record books as one of the 3 highest-grossing Kickstarters of all time, funding more than 1000 times over. It was an astonishing achievement, fuelled by excellent marketing, clever product placement (it included a healthy lump of Pathfinder minis, and had noticeable spikes in funding when each PF-related set/add-on was announced), high quality of miniatures, but most of all, outstanding, staggering, amazing value. The basic Vampire pledge, for $100 plus $25 shipped outside North America, started out with just 30 minis - decent value, but nothing special....

Over the course of two months, however, we followed Mr Bones on his epic journey though the neat tracking image as the offer ballooned to well over 150 minis, some of which were large sizes, as well as some excellent-value add-ons (the highest price, $25 for a GIGANTIC dracolich) up to a mighty total, for the completionist, of more than 300 minis for around $1 each delivered, as well as a nice figure case, and several other promotional items, paint sets, PDFs and so on. Most of the minis are in the flexible white Bones plastic, but several are in translucent coloured plastic, and the promotional Sophie figure (the Reaper succubus mascot) is in white metal, though this could be, and often was, traded in for $25 of other stuff. They also earned enough to move their production (though, not for the Kickstarter, for the ongoing Bones range) out of China and into the USA.

The ongoing success of the move does remain to be seen however; several buyers of massive orders do plan on reselling at undercutting prices, and there are worries that the market may already have been glutted (certainly, I've got more than enough minis coming to last me, at current painting speeds, for about 3 lifetimes, but they've probably gained a customer for their paints, which I decided not to get in the KS) - so watch this space.

They also generated a minor web-celeb in Reaper Brian, the face of the campaign, who appeared on multiple YouTube vids following the campaign showing off the minis and explaining the (somewhat arcane and confusing in places) ways in which the pledges could add up to staggering value for money. Reaper Kit did the demos during the campaign which appear on the main campaign page.

It was a wild, and expensive, ride, and massive numbers of goons are expecting big boxes of white plastic (and paints, and carry cases, and all sorts of other goodies) in the mail over the next couple of months, as KS update #89 recently announced the intention to ship all the KS rewards by the end of May, starting with the simplest ones early on, with some time off for ReaperCon in mid-April.

Accordingly, to move discussion out of the crowdfunding thread and avoid overtaking it entirely yet again, come one, come all, and discuss your Bones boners in here. And all of Reaper's other awesome stuff as well, should you be so inclined.

Recommended aerosol spray primers and paints:

Army Painter white and coloured primers
Krylon Dual Paint + Primer
Duplicolor Sandable – slight tackiness possible
Rust-oleam Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x – slight tackiness possible

Problem aerosol spray primers and paints:

Krylon white primer – doesn’t bond, stays tacky
Testors Enamel flat black – stays tacky
Walmart Valu flat white – stays tacky
Krylon Primer red-brown – stays tacky
Citadel spray
Plasti-kote super primer gray - stays tacky, rubs off easily.

Resellers/retailers
The Bones range will be selling to trade at well below RRP, and several resellers have already mentioned that they will be offering discounts of up to 40%. A list of them can be found here:
http://www.warpathgames.com

Any more, let me know.

Other useful threads/posts:
The Crowdfunding Thread. In case Reaper decide to smash the KS world again (they're currently offering the Clockwork Dragon as a reward for another company's KS, should you feel you need more of those for cheap).
The painting and modelling megathread. Discuss specific painting and modelling questions and post photos of your awesome/cackhanded painted models in there; take any derails about the KS, the company etc etc into here.
A great effortpost about Julie Guthrie, of Nethyrmaul fame, here.
Over on the Reaper boards, a user by the name of Wren has written up three useful guides to Bones.
Bones: Frequently Asked Questions - Unofficial!
Bones: The First Coat is the Difference
Bones: Preparation (Glues, Putties, Mould Lines, Etc.)

So, on with the show; discuss your giant Bone(r)s here.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
It was actually Reaper Kit, not Reaper Bryan, who appeared in the Kickstarter videos (the ones with the hands explaining the pledge levels and add-ons). Bryan was the one who answered questions, wrote updates, and was in all other ways the company "face" during Kickstarter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ta, updated.

For the record, my somewhat modest haul:

Your Selection:
  • Vampire x1 $100
  • Fire Giants x1 $10
  • Frost Giants x1 $10
  • Mind Your Manors x1 $10
  • Figure Case x1 $25
  • Demons x1 $15
  • Deathsleet x1 $10
  • Undead Giant x1 $10
  • Clockwork Dragon x1 $15
  • Red Dragon x1 $10
  • Spider Centaurs x1 $10
  • Fire Giant Warriors x1 $10
  • Forces Of Nature x1 $15
  • Frost Wyrm x1 $10
  • Deep Dwellers x2 $14
  • Hydra x1 $15
  • Kaladrax Reborn x1 $10
  • Dark Heroes x1 $5
  • Kickstarter Sophie x1 $25
I did take the Sophie, in the end, mostly because I thought the bike and the wings might come in handy for something. I skipped a couple of the bigger things I saw less chance of myself using, including Cthulhu, with the possible intention of buying them later directly from supplier if I changed my mind.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Here are the best pictures I have found for the two huge rear end dragons.

Nethyrmaul

Kaladrax

That second one is only $10.

Also, Reaper was giving out Mr. Bones at GAMA. He looks pretty neat.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Predictably, there are people in the Kickstarter comments complaining that they haven't already received their order, and how Reaper is ripping them off by shipping the simple orders first instead of whatever rubric would get their order in the front of the line.

EDIT: And my haul:

Vampire x4 $400
Fire Giants x1 $10
Ebonwrath x1 $10
Frost Giants x1 $10
Mind Your Manors x3 $30
There Be Dragons x1 $15
Deathsleet x1 $10
Demons x1 $15
Undead Giant x2 $20
Mythos Monsters x2 $20
Clockwork Dragon x2 $30
Red Dragon x1 $10
Spider Centaurs x2 $20
Fire Giant Warriors x2 $20
Forces Of Nature x2 $30
Frost Wyrm x1 $10
Jabberwock x1 $10
Deep Dwellers x4 $28
Nethyrmaul x1 $25
Hydra x2 $30
Kaladrax Reborn x1 $10
C'thulhu x1 $10
Swamp Things x1 $5
Figure Case x2 $50
Orcapocalypse x1 $25
Starter Paint Set x1 $18
Undead Paint Set x1 $18
IMEF Paint Set x1 $18
Starter Set 2 x1 $18
Kickstarter Sophie x1 $25

Not so much as Captain Invictus, but I don't expect to see them before May.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 29, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm actually kinda glad I didn't pop for a Nethyrmaul, I've no loving clue how I'd use something that big. Even Kaladrax is pushing it a bit.

And yeah, I can imagine how people would be being dicks about getting their orders first. I'll be happy to get mine whenever (indeed, if it comes a little late it wouldn't be a biggie as I should be moving house in the next month or two, finally, and moving it home from where it's being delivered at work, then from one house to the other, would seem a little pointless.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm actually kinda glad I didn't pop for a Nethyrmaul, I've no loving clue how I'd use something that big. Even Kaladrax is pushing it a bit.

Bookends.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

...damnit.

But yeah, that's a wicked idea, I think I shall do that with a couple of the dragons, at the very least.

Now to work out how to make bookends and gaming bases combine...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'm thinking of giving Kaladrax as a Mother's Day gift since years ago our cat knocked her old dragon statues off a shelf, breaking them. I was already planning on painting up an owl bear and sending it her way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wow, some of you went actually insane. By comparison, I was just a little crazy:

vampire base level

fire giants
frost giants
undead giant
fire giant warriors
forces of nature
frost wyrm
deep dwellers
spiders
orcpocalypse

paint set 1
paint set 2
paint set 3
paint set 4

sophie trade
case

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Huh. I've played Magic at their Denton store a couple of times, but I didn't realize they made all this cool poo poo. I guess that's what's going on in the other part of the building.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
God knows when I'll actually get around to painting any of it, I already have more metal Reaper figs than I will Bones.

Vampire x1 $100
Ebonwrath x1 $10
There Be Dragons x1 $15
Demons x1 $15
Deathsleet x1 $10
Mythos Monsters x1 $10
Clockwork Dragon x2 $30
Red Dragon x1 $10
Fire Giant Warriors x1 $10
Jabberwock x2 $20
Nethyrmaul x1 $25
Hydra x1 $15
Storm Giants x1 $10
C'thulhu x5 $50
Kaladrax Reborn x1 $10
Owlbear x2 $6
Deep Dwellers x1 $7
Swamp Things x1 $5
Griffon x1 $4
Undead Paint Set x1 $18
IMEF Paint Set x1 $18

And here are some of the Bones pieces that I have already painted metal versions of, so I'll be selling the Bones versions of these (except the Owlbears, part of me wanted to buy 20 of them and paint them all different colors):

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Munki posted:

Wow, some of you went actually insane. By comparison, I was just a little crazy:
Nonsense. This isn't crazy at all. :getin:

As an aside, I am selling the Vampire sets, as well as a handful of "every single thing" groups if folks are interested. I'll knock a decent amount off what I'm selling them for elsewhere, PM me if interested. Probably making an SA-Mart thread soon for it as well.

The "every single thing" would include Vampire + every figure addon, plus a case, plus possibly paints. No Sophie models though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I found out that I put in for Nethyrmaul, Kaladrax Reborn, and C'thulhu! I feel like I just got a hi-five from myself last year.

Something I didn't realize is that you can download the PDF game and eBook from your pledge manager. So that's something to look at this weekend.

I emailed Reaper earlier today (about ten minutes before the update went out) to ask if everything was going out at once or if complicated orders would go out later. Kit just wrote me back(!) and said Kaladrax puts me into Wave 2. It's also pretty rad that they wrote me back the same day. And also that he's still at work at like 8PM the night before a three-day weekend.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What is the game? I totally forgot about that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Captain Invictus posted:

As an aside, I am selling the Vampire sets, as well as a handful of "every single thing" groups if folks are interested. I'll knock a decent amount off what I'm selling them for elsewhere, PM me if interested. Probably making an SA-Mart thread soon for it as well.

The "every single thing" would include Vampire + every figure addon, plus a case, plus possibly paints. No Sophie models though.

Yeah, I was sorta referring to you in particular, I saw your post in the other thread. I understand it's a totally different situation as far as what you're up to, but still, jeebus. When the packers see your order, they're going to do a double or triple take, and probably walk it back to get it verified at LEAST once.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's some kind of OSR fantasy thing called Swords & Wizardy, but it's gotten a bunch of awards so it may be pretty OK! At the price, I cannot legitimately complain.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Would you be up to selling a Nethymaul? I didn't get one, and wish I did.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
To clarify, I'm only selling them in sets, I'll probably be selling 14 or so Vampire sets, as well as 3-4 "complete" sets, with Vampire + all addons. If I broke them up, I'd have to sell them individually, and I'd rather not do that. It'd lead to a situation as detailed in the TG crowdfunding thread, where I would have a broken set and would probably need to sell things individually, and wind up stuck with a bunch of figures that would be harder or near impossible to sell individually.

Also, I've spoken to someone from Reaper, and they're planning on selling the Vampire-level set themselves for $400 once the Kickstarter stuff is all sent out. I'm selling them for considerably less than that, I'll probably do $250 for them plus shipping/fees if folks are interested, selling them for more than that on Ebay.

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I was sorta referring to you in particular, I saw your post in the other thread. I understand it's a totally different situation as far as what you're up to, but still, jeebus. When the packers see your order, they're going to do a double or triple take, and probably walk it back to get it verified at LEAST once.
They already did the double-take, actually. :v: I'm sure it's baffling to someone who doesn't run a business, but buying stock at such a low price, especially limited-time stock, is not unreasonable. I'm sure if you saw most wholesale purchase orders they'd look really big and scary like that one, but really, things like Nethyrmaul, the PLASTIC version, are going to retail for $75.

They might send my stuff out earlier than others since I put down more than most people into the KS, I asked him an unrelated question, he did a proverbial bug-eyes at my order, and said he'd see about pushing it up a bit. I'd certainly be happy if they did, but I said not to if it caused things to run slower for everyone else.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 29, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

e: Whoops, answered

So long story short, Reaper really likes you :)

I might be interested in an extra vampire set but really, I have to get my grubby mitts on my own before I start buying even more.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 29, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

sansuki posted:

Would you be up to selling a Nethymaul? I didn't get one, and wish I did.

Come April (estimated) my distributor will have them in stock and I can sell you one.
They Retail for $75 whats it worth to you?

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 29, 2013

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009
I didn't go nearly as crazy as some folks did.

Vampire x1 $100
Heroes x1 $6
Undead Giant x1 $10
Clockwork Dragon x1 $15
Nethyrmaul x1 $25
Griffon x1 $4
Kaladrax Reborn x1 $10
Storm Giants x1 $10
Demons x1 $15

Really looking forward to getting this stuff, but I'm not in a hurry. I've got way more than enough warhammer minis to keep me busy for a long time.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, and while unrelated to the Kickstarter, they've started to prototype their CAV models (think Battletech-style mechs) in Bones. That might be of interest to some folks.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

JackMann posted:

Oh, and while unrelated to the Kickstarter, they've started to prototype their CAV models (think Battletech-style mechs) in Bones. That might be of interest to some folks.

Yeah, too bad the rules for the game blow donkey dicks. Though a wargame with ultra cheap miniatures is a grand idea, I feel like its 1995 again and I only have to pay $2.50 for a Space Marine captain.

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.
I'm eagerly awaiting my Vampire set + extras.

I also just kicked into Dwarven Forge's terrain tile Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dwarven-forges-game-tiles-revolutionary-miniature/

At a cost of under $500, I have my dream D&D prop chest. Kickstarter is awesome.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CAV in Bones is awesome, it'll make proxying mechs in Battletech a whole lot better looking than just printing out paper tokens.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They've posted a painted version of Wyrmgear.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JackMann posted:

They've posted a painted version of Wyrmgear.

Now I feel ok with not including it in my order. The scetch looked better IMHO, and it was still no my cup of tea.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I'm in for
Vampire x2 $200
Fire Giants x2 $20
Frost Giants x2 $20
Orcapocalypse x1 $25
Owlbear x1 $3
Griffon x1 $4
Familiars x1 $6
Starter Paint Set x1 $18
Starter Set 2 x1 $18
IMEF Paint Set x1 $18
Undead Paint Set x1 $18

And I also kickstarted those double-headed paintbrushes a bit ago, and they should be arriving about the same time as my minis and paints.

I can't wait to start painting again.

I'm totally satisfied with what I ended up choosing, especially the part where I didn't splurge on any of the addon dragons. I hardly ever use dragons in my games, and I have plenty already. My most frequent needs are for sets of 3-20 identical or nearly identical minis of a given type.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mm, I'm a little disappointed in the clockwork dragon myself; I might see if I can do some conversion work on the wings to make them look more like leather rather than metal plates. But most of the skteches have turned into finished models incredibly faithfully; I'm really impressed by that.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
This is probably going to sound odd but if any UK goons want any Bones stuff painted for free I'm totally willing to do it. I really wanna paint some of the stuff and see what the models are like but have no room to keep anything myself. And I just like painting poo poo for people.

Gonna try and buy a vampire set anyway. I probably have floorspace somewhere in the apartment.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lethemonster posted:

This is probably going to sound odd but if any UK goons want any Bones stuff painted for free I'm totally willing to do it. I really wanna paint some of the stuff and see what the models are like but have no room to keep anything myself. And I just like painting poo poo for people.

Gonna try and buy a vampire set anyway. I probably have floorspace somewhere in the apartment.

That sounds like a deal and a half to me. Where are you, roughly?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

That sounds like a deal and a half to me. Where are you, roughly?

Just outside Leicester.

Shoot me an email at theworldoftights@yahoo.co.uk . I have a big airbrush compressor and everything ;)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cool, I'll drop you a line once my haul comes in. Thanks =)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm considering "painting" most of my bones with a black wash and using them as playing pieces. I don't want to go nuts, but I'd like a look that compliments the printed out terrain I'm into using.

But man alive I'm having trouble finding a wash that gets along with the bones plastic. Going to try GW's Nuln Oil next.

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Invictus posted:

Sent you a pm. That clockwork dragon looks intense!

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Are these supposed to have been sent to me yet? I remember them saying they'd be sent out in March, but March is almost over.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

moths posted:

I'm considering "painting" most of my bones with a black wash and using them as playing pieces. I don't want to go nuts, but I'd like a look that compliments the printed out terrain I'm into using.

But man alive I'm having trouble finding a wash that gets along with the bones plastic. Going to try GW's Nuln Oil next.

Your problem will be that washes are primarily aqueous. This will not want to party with the bare plastic. You can paint straight on them because paints are based on polymer binders, rather than being mostly water. This means to be able to just dunk them in wash you will need to give them a little spritz of primer. All washes are like 90% water, so brand/type isn't going to change much, except maybe using oil washes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've had limited success with some washes, but I can't shake the feeling there's a perfect one I can produce in bulk.

I've read about gloss coating and then applying an oil wash, so the plastic surface would behave similar to a gloss coated model? I admit that I'm afraid of oil-based anything after a childhood of Testors ruining every brush and airplane my parents bought me. What's a good starting point for oil washes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Swags posted:

Are these supposed to have been sent to me yet? I remember them saying they'd be sent out in March, but March is almost over.

They're being shipped out but they have thousands of orders to move. When you get yours depends on what you ordered, the more complex the later.

• Locked thread