Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah, I don't think they were trying to gouge anyone - if anything they left money on the table by underestimating costs in those cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fix posted:

I backed down from ordering all the dragons, but once I start seeing pics I may be banging down your door, LT.

No problem, would be happy to order em for you.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What's the retail price on Cthulu, anyway?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fix posted:

What's the retail price on Cthulu, anyway?

Retail is $39.99 so I can do $23.99 easily.

and hes just so handsome :cthulhu: :3:

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 31, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Retail is only forty bucks for that thing? :aaaaa:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I ran into the problem of being seriously cash poor so I had to cancel my Vampire plus order. I still wound up ordering:

IMEF x 1
Chronoscope x 1
Cthulhu x 1
Owlbear x 1

Sad compared to some I know, but I have a ton of other Kickstarters coming in too.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, they did estimate 2x kickstarter for retail, but every time they stressed that that was a complete guess and they really had no idea. I think they also underestimated how much the dragons would cost THEM in materials, by underestimating just how gently caress-off huge they would be, going only from the concept sketches.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Fix posted:

Retail is only forty bucks for that thing? :aaaaa:

Welcome to the world of Bones! The future is looking brighter every day

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ashcans posted:

Welcome to the world of Bones! The future is looking brighter every day

Plus he probably weighs like 6 ounces and you can drop him on the floor without breaking him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh man, I hadn't even really thought about that, but the durability and weight is going to be a huge deal on those bigger miniatures. It's an issue for big pewter figures where they basically start collapsing under their own weight unless you pin every loving thing. Being able to buy something like this and feel fine with my kid looking at it would be amazing. I have pewter figures that I don't look at directly because they'll explode with the slightest provocation.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah particularly for the stuff with huge wings plastic is a godsend. I didn't even bother trying to make a winged Daemon Prince before the plastic kit came out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Yeah, I don't think they were trying to gouge anyone - if anything they left money on the table by underestimating costs in those cases.

Yeah. Even in that case, you had to get Vampire in the first place to be able to grab it, and you would have to have gotten several hundred of the set before it would offset the savings from Vampire.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
The clockwork dragon retails for $24.99 btw.

I think the fire giant bodyguard turned out very well.

He retails for $8.99

And small characters like this cleric

retail for $2.49

Some of the mid sized figures are between $3.99 and $5.99 as well. This marsh troll is $4.99

Its not really standardized, they seem to be pricing them based on the amount of material more than anything, the female storm giant for instance is $6.99 where the male is $9.99

sansuki
May 17, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

Its not really standardized, they seem to be pricing them based on the amount of material more than anything, the female storm giant for instance is $6.99 where the male is $9.99

To me, this is a fair and equitable way of pricing. Isn't their plastic injection machine in-house now, so they KNOW how much everything costs material wise?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

sansuki posted:

To me, this is a fair and equitable way of pricing. Isn't their plastic injection machine in-house now, so they KNOW how much everything costs material wise?

Yep. They are all being made in Texas now. The Kickstarter was so that they could expand / accelerate the bones line and buy the equipment to start doing it inhouse.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Rather, the Kickstarter was to buy the molds for all of the new figures. The fact that they were also able to move production in-house was an unexpected, but welcome bonus.

I dunno if the new plastic injection equipment is up and running yet. It's installed, it's there, but I don't know how far they've gone as far as learning to use it, and getting the molds back to them. Remember, all of the molds had to be sent to China to be used to make the current crop. But at least all of the steps are in place now to bring it back to the states.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, now that I know they've started shipping, I'm really jonesin' for some bonesin'.

I feel like a big RPG adventure based on all the dudes in the vampire set (with optional sidequests for add-ons?!) would be in order. :suicide:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been prepping to run the 3.5 Expedition to Castle Ravenloft in 13th Age. The Vampire box should have enough figures to represent each unique NPC and most of the monsters. And then I put all the Castlevania chiptunes onto an MP3 player with built-in speaker. This is going to be the best game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bad Munki posted:

Man, now that I know they've started shipping, I'm really jonesin' for some bonesin'.

I feel like a big RPG adventure based on all the dudes in the vampire set (with optional sidequests for add-ons?!) would be in order. :suicide:

My friend ran a dungeon he called "Raid Wipe Dungeon" where you started from level one and the dungeon itself was super hard. The idea was that in one night of gaming you would play five to ten characters and everytime the party died you started over knowing how to beat the dungeon better. It was very good but required some serious chops on his part because the same idea could be easily botched.

Or you could crack open one of those "biggest dungeon ever" modules.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
During the kickstarter one of the guys in the comment thread claimed his game company would release a system-independent mega campaign that would incorporate every model included in vampire.

Which, considering that includes fantasy tropes, space marines, modern day zombie hunters, and a giant cyborg gorilla, was probably going to be terrible.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Terrible, or awesome. One of the two.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I've poked a couple of the goons who are going to be stocking some of the vampire sets but everyone said shipping to someone in the UK is a pain in the butt (although they also said they would do it for a goon, which was awesome).

But are any of you guys situated in the UK and resellers?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hey Lethe - I might be interested in trading some of the bits I'm less interested in for painting services =) I'll discuss once it's all come in.

OP updated BTW to include the awesome Julie Guthrie post and a section on resellers.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
For those of you who've worked with bones already, how do they take to glue? Can you use plastic cement on them, or will I have to use Superglue?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Haven't tried plastic cement on them, but I'm not sure how well it will work. I've only used superglue, which works just fine.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

Rather, the Kickstarter was to buy the molds for all of the new figures. The fact that they were also able to move production in-house was an unexpected, but welcome bonus.

I dunno if the new plastic injection equipment is up and running yet. It's installed, it's there, but I don't know how far they've gone as far as learning to use it, and getting the molds back to them. Remember, all of the molds had to be sent to China to be used to make the current crop. But at least all of the steps are in place now to bring it back to the states.

Going back to this, Bryan said today that their first mold is arriving this week. So they haven't started making things there yet, but they're getting ready.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

I've poked a couple of the goons who are going to be stocking some of the vampire sets but everyone said shipping to someone in the UK is a pain in the butt (although they also said they would do it for a goon, which was awesome).

But are any of you guys situated in the UK and resellers?

Could you give me the names of some dudes in this thread selling to US goons?
I would like to get some of this goodness and am kicking myself I missed out on this KS.

Thanks!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a lot of the Bones and I was a little disappointed in the material. Sure, they're cheap, but I could never get little figures like the Kobolds straight, outside of drilling a hole through the bottom and inserting a pin. The hot water trick didn't work. I completely gave up with my skeletons with spears and gave them to a friend.

They didn't take washes well without priming but with primer, they're really nice. I hope with this KS reaper looks at the material they're using for bones and makes some changes so figures like skeletons and kobolds actually stand up straight.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm looking forward to trying to embed LEDs in the bottoms of those translucent undead/elemental ones. :3:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Bad Munki posted:

I'm looking forward to trying to embed LEDs in the bottoms of those translucent undead/elemental ones. :3:

Oh man I want to do this now.

CR2450s have long shelf lives, and can run a lot of current. Additionally (and perhaps best of all) its almost a perfect 25mm base. Couple that with some tiny 1.6mm LEDS and some resistors and you've got a glowing model in theory. You could probably even get some itty bitty switches and hide them under some simple model tombstones or something.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 3, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Everything I've heard says that you can actually get away without the resistor on a watch battery because they have such a high internal resistance. That's what I did for my glowing-rune standing stones, just wrapped an LED on to a 2032 and tucked it up inside the thing. They'd burn nice and bright for hours and hours and hours.

Samej
Apr 25, 2011

A Ponderously Prescient Pachyderm

Bad Munki posted:

Everything I've heard says that you can actually get away without the resistor on a watch battery because they have such a high internal resistance. That's what I did for my glowing-rune standing stones, just wrapped an LED on to a 2032 and tucked it up inside the thing. They'd burn nice and bright for hours and hours and hours.

You could probably do something similar to the translucent minis as is being done here: http://battlereporter.blogspot.com/2008/12/best-warhammer-fantasy-army-ever-seen.html

Quote from link: "The glowing hearts of the models were made from a keychain light mounted into the base. I sculpted all of the torsos, heads and other fiery bits, took a mold and cast them in clear resin. Then I assembled them around the LEDs and used paints and inks to give it the fiery colors. I ran fiber-optics into the eye sockets and as a trail of sparks behind some of the fireballs."

Alright, so maybe a bit much on the DIY scale, but the result seems pretty neat.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Bad Munki posted:

I think you'd want one on the ones I linked, since they are pretty small, and the voltage & amperage on the watch batteries I linked is kind of high (I couldn't find a weaker battery with a 25mm diameter) but yeah depending on LEDs you could probably get away with it.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I gave my housemate money last year to get the big-rear end dragons and Cthulhu added on to his Vampire pledge, and after seeing all the new models I just organised to buy my very own Vampire pledge from someone off the wargamerau forums. The guy let me have his spare second pledge for just $170 posted. :3: I am going to have so many models.

Wait... I am going to have so many models! :psyduck:

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Schmetterling posted:

But, that's what next year's Oath thread is for!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Schmetterling posted:

You got screwed, now you'll have to paint each and every one of them! :unsmigghh:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wait, what? Paint? I was just going to declare them all to be Casper-esque ghosts of the creatures in question. "Oh, that? That's not a fire giant. That's a friendly fire giant ghost."

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

"This? This is my apartment-suitable sculpture garden."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
There are still people on the Reaper forums complaining about the Chronoscope figures. I am amused and somewhat baffled by these folks. "My colossal deal on fantasy figures is slightly diluted by non-genre figures!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Well, they can just email Reaper and ask them not to put anything non-fantasy in there. And pay extra for individual packing :v:

Seriously, what the gently caress? You're getting an awesome deal, it's not like you can't sell them on Ebay or something.

• Locked thread