Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's also a whole thread on the Reaper forums to work out trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The only figs I ordered were the non-genre ones...(and an Owlbear of course.)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Pierzak posted:

Well, they can just email Reaper and ask them not to put anything non-fantasy in there. And pay extra for individual packing :v:

It seems a bit of an abitrary distinction to me as well, but having more sophie swap type things would've been neat. Seriously, when they offered that swap out Sophie option my respect for them just skyrocketed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pierzak posted:

Well, they can just email Reaper and ask them not to put anything non-fantasy in there. And pay extra for individual packing :v:

Seriously, what the gently caress? You're getting an awesome deal, it's not like you can't sell them on Ebay or something.

Wheras I looked at the cowboys and machinegun chicks and armored security troopers and thought "A skirmish game set in the Firefly Universe is coming with my ridiculously inexpensive minis. Score."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah uh, I'm going to see if I can convince a handful of friends to play Advanced HeroQuest: Time-Travel Edition, starring a giant ape with a monocle, a cowboy, a cyber-witch, and a space marine with a giant laser gun.

The skaven bastards won't know what hit them.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Otisburg posted:

Wheras I looked at the cowboys and machinegun chicks and armored security troopers and thought "A skirmish game set in the Firefly Universe is coming with my ridiculously inexpensive minis. Score."

I have a terrible Firefly conversion for Necromunda I'm gonna have to dig up for this noise!

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

I'm using the NOVA marines as IntSec for Paranoia.

...actually, now that I think of it, most of the Chronoscope Vampire minis could be shoehorned into Paranoia with the right horrible situation. :v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Anyone who complains about bonus miniatures is basically a huge jerk and should forfeit their bonus stuff to me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cyster posted:

I'm using the NOVA marines as IntSec for Paranoia.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, there's a Paranoia miniature game? :aaaaa: Gimme!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do NOVA Marines come from a specific setting or is that just Reaper for SciFi soldiers?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Pretty much just Reaper-ese. Mostly, it's just to give them a more interesting name than generic future Marine, and also to make it easier to find other minis that look about the same. They might have a number of sci-fi soldiers, but you can be fairly confident that other NOVA Marines will be fairly similar.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I bought like 30 or so to use in 40k, they make great generic troopers especially when comboed with the Gears of War looking dudes they also have.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, it's crazy how people can be mad about bonus figures they can use in almost any SciFi setting, even near-future stuff.

But it's RPGs and the internet. People get mad here.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
A couple of things.

First of all, some of the people who've received their packages have noticed minor discrepancies. Nothing huge. Just like one mini missing here, two of another. Reaper has promised to make good on this, so just do an inventory of your Bones when they arrive.

Second, let's talk about backscatter. Bones are slightly translucent. Light penetrates partway through the plastic when it hits, then bounces back at different angles. The effect of this is to make the Bones look softer than they really are, and it means that details really won't stand out until they've been painted. Keep this in mind when you first get a look at 'em. For the most part, the detail's pretty close to metal, but it looks worse bare.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ooh, people are starting to get their orders? Exciting!

As for the detail/contrast/painting thing, it'd be nice to see two of the same figures side by side, one primed, the other not. That might nicely help show the difference in how the material can mess with your eye.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

Ooh, people are starting to get their orders? Exciting!

As for the detail/contrast/painting thing, it'd be nice to see two of the same figures side by side, one primed, the other not. That might nicely help show the difference in how the material can mess with your eye.

A guy on the forums did a side-by-side of a painted Bones mini (one of the already available ones) with the metal version of the same mini. They were indistinguishable.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

What I'm curious about is what level of pledge the people receiving their stuff had. I wonder if the time discrepancy between shipping the most basic levels versus something like vampire with every add-on is a matter of days or weeks or what. Should I be excited about my plastic men arriving in the near future, or the slightly less near future?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Red_Mage posted:

It seems a bit of an abitrary distinction to me as well, but having more sophie swap type things would've been neat. Seriously, when they offered that swap out Sophie option my respect for them just skyrocketed.

I would be interested in knowing just how many people made the Sophie's Choice to swap her out for more bones. Anecdotaly very few on the interwebs and no one I know in meatspace kept her.

It was a no brainer for me to take the credit, trading up for Cthulhu and some deep ones, iA! iA!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JackMann posted:

First of all, some of the people who've received their packages have noticed minor discrepancies. Nothing huge. Just like one mini missing here, two of another. Reaper has promised to make good on this, so just do an inventory of your Bones when they arrive.

So, you mean additional minis, not specific ones missing from Vampire boxes, right? Because god drat am I not looking forward to trying to checklist 250 white models in baggies.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only difference I can tell with the Bones is that some of the sharp edges aren't as defined as on metal minis.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The only difference I can tell with the Bones is that some of the sharp edges aren't as defined as on metal minis.

Are you saying that from side by side touch comparison, or just visually? Because that might be partially an optical illusion, as explained above.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Visually with painted minis. Stuff like the edges of gems, jewelry and armor plates is slightly softer. It's a bigger problem on the smaller minis like the kobolds.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah also bendiness on things like spears is a problem.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JoshTheStampede posted:

So, you mean additional minis, not specific ones missing from Vampire boxes, right? Because god drat am I not looking forward to trying to checklist 250 white models in baggies.

Sadly, it's been in the actual Vampire boxes. Someone was missing one mini, and had two of a different mini.

As Bryan explained, if the packers in China were 99.95% accurate, that still means over 30,000 errors, or about two per order.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Otisburg posted:

I would be interested in knowing just how many people made the Sophie's Choice to swap her out for more bones. Anecdotaly very few on the interwebs and no one I know in meatspace kept her.

I kept the Sophie, but I was drunk at the time. I kept going over the calculations because I thought I had pledged enough for a couple of extra dragons, but couldn't make it work out.

Never mind, I have a buddy that wanted the figure anyway.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sophie nicely became an extra case for (part of) the pile of minis. It worked out so well, it was like destiny!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I kept the Sophie, figured a limited mini every once in a while can't hurt and I got all I wanted anyway, well except the case but I'd have to pay extra for shipping. Later I was kicking myself for not getting the last paint set, but that was another decision entirely, made before I knew how good Reaper paints are.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I took Sophie mostly because I thought the bike could be fun. And because I couldn't work out what to do with the extra dosh if I traded her in... I don't need more than one case, I'm quite sure.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I ditched her the moment they announced the option. I wanted neither metal minis nor figures I couldn't see myself ever using, and she's both.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I try not to buy miniatures that would literally make me feel uncomfortable if any of my friends or family saw them. Like for instance a naked motorcycle sex demon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I could've sworn the basic KS one wasn't naked, but looking back, it does seem I'm wrong. E: no, just almost naked. You had to specifically order the nude one. Reaper :arghfist:

This is the one thing that irks me about Reaper is quite how much of their stuff is annoyingly cheesecakey/antifeminist/whateverthefuck you call it. The amount of boob windows I'm going to have to cover with GS when I get these D:

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 6, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It became an instantaneous decision I'm sure, for anyone who purchased more than one. Every four Vampire sets essentially netted you a fifth Vampire set free just by trading in a single miniature, which is insane.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

I try not to buy miniatures that would literally make me feel uncomfortable if any of my friends or family saw them. Like for instance a naked motorcycle sex demon.

Clearly you just need new friends/family.

thespaceinvader posted:

I could've sworn the basic KS one wasn't naked, but looking back, it does seem I'm wrong. E: no, just almost naked. You had to specifically order the nude one. Reaper :arghfist:
The nude one was the "urban legend" Sophie that came with a different pledge level than vampire, I think.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thespaceinvader posted:

This is the one thing that irks me about Reaper is quite how much of their stuff is annoyingly cheesecakey/antifeminist/whateverthefuck you call it. The amount of boob windows I'm going to have to cover with GS when I get these D:

The thing about Reaper is they have a catalog of what, like thousands of minis, from probably a hundred different sculptors, dating back to the 70s or 80s. SOME of that poo poo is going to be chainmail bikini dumbness. At the price we got these things, you can afford to simply throw the ones you don't like in the sea and never worry about greenstuffing them. Or trade them for ones you do like.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mm, a lot of them I like apart from the stupid boob windows, which would be why I'll probably fix them.

And yeah, I know the history of them, which is why the chainmail bikinis etc bother me an awful lot less than modern companies which are doing it on purpose, from new, and unironically, in 2012. Call my hypocritical if you will.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thespaceinvader posted:

Mm, a lot of them I like apart from the stupid boob windows, which would be why I'll probably fix them.

And yeah, I know the history of them, which is why the chainmail bikinis etc bother me an awful lot less than modern companies which are doing it on purpose, from new, and unironically, in 2012. Call my hypocritical if you will.

No, I think that's a perfectly good reason to give them a semi-pass on it. They've been selling these models since before anyone in the industry or the audience had a problem with them, or at least a vocal problem. And even at their worst they're not terrible misogynist poo poo. Mild cheesecake is a far cry from Kingdom Death.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Oh great can we have this conversation AGAIN?

More talk about small plastic toys please.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Since you asked so nice sure we can have this discussion again.

You can find the odd over the top sexist mini in the Reaper line, especially the Klockenbooty minis made by Werner Klocke. But even if some of these bother me, they are the exception and not the rule when it comes to Reaper female miniatures.

:nws: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/klockenbooty/sku-down/50084#detail/IG_908_1 :nws:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It always seemed weird to me that Reaper's mascot character was a succubus with a clothes allergy instead of, you know, a reaper.

• Locked thread