Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

It always seemed weird to me that Reaper's mascot character was a succubus with a clothes allergy instead of, you know, a reaper.

I don't think she was intended to be a mascot. I think they made one or two minis of a succubus the sculptor named Sophie and it caught on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

LumberingTroll posted:

Oh great can we have this conversation AGAIN?

More talk about small plastic toys please.

Dude, knock off the backseat moderation. The derail you are bitching about is not actually happening, people are merely talking about things they like or dislike about Reaper Miniatures in the Reaper Miniatures discussion thread. If this blossoms into some full on Social Justice Crusade Against Reaper And All For Which It Stands, I will maybe do something. But right now the only one getting lovely about this is you, so knock it off. People are allowed to like or dislike things as they please, for reasons they please.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Reaper's better about it than a lot of mini companies, but they still pander a lot to the horny fangeeks. Unfortunately, the naked ladies sell.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Has anyone in the thread gotten their shipping email yet? I'm worried that mine might get caught in my spam filter...

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Some (ok, a lot) of the female miniatures are terrible, it's true. I do like that they gave a couple of their succubi more realistic body shapes though. :nws: Alura used to be my favourite succubus, but now I think she's tied with the new Bella.:nws:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

no, just almost naked. You had to specifically order the nude one. Reaper :arghfist:
What, you wanted the fully naked version as default? Pervert.

quote:

This is the one thing that irks me about Reaper is quite how much of their stuff is annoyingly cheesecakey/antifeminist/whateverthefuck you call it. The amount of boob windows I'm going to have to cover with GS when I get these D:
Seriously? Reaper is soo much more tasteful than the competitors of that time. There's a huge lot of female minis I wouldn't be embarrassed to show to a lady friend, which is more than I can say of many companies. Yes, nowadays companies tend to display more "awareness", but then you have the other extreme of Kingdom Death's corrupted sexuality so :shrug:

And I'm still waiting for good cheesecake (or whatever the male equivalent's called) male sculpts, this is a loving outrage I'm telling you :colbert:

And the amount of boob windows may be related to the number of minis you order :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
No, I didn't; I'm pretty glad of it actually. I'm mildly irked that they felt the need to sculpt a naked one at all (though presumably the sculpting was done the other way round, nude first then clothes added).

Those recently linked succubi don't bother me so much, for some reason - partly they're realistic, not-overly-exaggerated women, partly the poses are tasteful, and partly yeah, they're sex demons, it's to be expected they might be naked. It's poo poo like the colonial marine girl who's armoured everywhere apart from her chest, which pokes through a loving cutout in her power armour that bug me.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The sniper? Hey, people wanted to get rid of the boob plates :v:
Besides, she'll do nicely as an Iguana operator for my Infinity Nomads, and they are mostly freaks and perverts anyway.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Reaper is better about that than a bunch of companies still making miniatures. They still do cheesecake stuff with some regularity, but it's a drat sight better than somewhere like Ground Zero Games that has 'Gentleman's Collectibles' that are way worse. I don't think that not being the worst gives them a pass on everything, but I think it's important to keep in mind that they are a pretty good company in an industry that is commonly terrible.

They also have a good number of female miniatures that are much better done, so it's not like you are forced into getting cheesecake stuff - which is a complaint that can be leveled at game-based companies like GW and Infinity.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, here's a fun case of entitlement. Keep reading this guy's posts throughout the thread. It's an astonishing case of just not getting it.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
A good unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJrW3VIuWL0

What a loving bargain, seeing it all splayed out like that.

Bachtere fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 7, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Man, that must be like a whole week of painting for you :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Whole lotta bendy spears and swords in there.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Fix posted:

Whole lotta bendy spears and swords in there.

Little boiling water followed by a dip in ice water fixes that decently, thankfully.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I made a thread for the Reaper stuff I'm selling, if folks are interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542585

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bachtere posted:

A good unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJrW3VIuWL0

What a loving bargain, seeing it all splayed out like that.

"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

WTF did it have proprietary music or something?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Buy "Sooner or Later" Breaking Benjamin

Honestly I'm surprised I can watch it in Canada, usually youtube blocks anything here.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

They did layer over some lovely music at the end, but it's not banned here.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

JackMann posted:

Well, here's a fun case of entitlement. Keep reading this guy's posts throughout the thread. It's an astonishing case of just not getting it.

The funny thing is, that entitlement would make sense in a lot of contexts, just not this one. People who didn't have any modifications are getting their pledges first, because they can practically Drop-Ship them. They just toss the label on the box and send it, no shuffling required. Someone with an extremely complex order is going to take more time, because they actually have to move some things around, make sure its correct.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Are you in Germany?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Pierzak posted:

Are you in Germany?

I get that in the UK.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

UK also. PITA because I really would like to know roughly the size of box I'm going to have to carry home from work on the bus...

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Why am I poor I want some sweet bendy dragons.

I'm gonna try and get my hands on that clockwork dragon and add proper detailing to the wings following some complex antique clock designs.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

UK also. PITA because I really would like to know roughly the size of box I'm going to have to carry home from work on the bus...

It's about shoebox size.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Watching that guy saw away at a piece of sprue with a serrated folding pocket knife was making me cringe. There's one point where you can clearly see the figure mash and twist against the table as its base folds over, ugh.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

It looks like you could hold it under one arm (imagine three or four laptops stacked up), although these guys only went for the Vampire level with no frills added.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

Watching that guy saw away at a piece of sprue with a serrated folding pocket knife was making me cringe. There's one point where you can clearly see the figure mash and twist against the table as its base folds over, ugh.

I suspect it'll take a while for people to realize how to work with this relatively alien material. On the other hand, what other material that's currently in play would you use such a knife on? V:downs:V

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's his box opener implement, which was totally reasonable. But you could instantly tell this was not a guy who does the miniatures hobby thing. They were talking about how they have some other guy to paint them, too.

I mean, he didn't even understand that he could use the edge of the table to get a 90 degree corner and keep his miniature safe while laying the piece to cut flat on the surface.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Which is actually kind of awesome. We have people who had absolutely no interest in miniatures now being brought into the hobby.

They just need a little civilizing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Weirdo posted:

It looks like you could hold it under one arm (imagine three or four laptops stacked up), although these guys only went for the Vampire level with no frills added.

Smaller than expected then.

The big dragons might add some size though...

Thanks

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I loved the bandage over the fore-finger. You can tell that he both loves that knife and has no clue how to use it properly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Red_Mage posted:

The funny thing is, that entitlement would make sense in a lot of contexts, just not this one. People who didn't have any modifications are getting their pledges first, because they can practically Drop-Ship them. They just toss the label on the box and send it, no shuffling required. Someone with an extremely complex order is going to take more time, because they actually have to move some things around, make sure its correct.

I think people like the guy in the linked post would be happier if they literally just sat on their hands with the pre-boxed, ready to go Vampire orders of the filthy poors until after the rest of the stuff arrived for the larger orders and was ready to ship out. For no reason other than to ship them out after the Big Important Spender Orders so they could feel like the plastic monster owner 1%, even if it didn't actually change how quickly they got their order.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 7, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Otisburg posted:

I think people like the guy in the linked post would be happier if they literally just sat on their hands with the pre-boxed, ready to go Vampire orders of the filthy poors until the rest of the stuff arrived and was ready to ship. For no reason other than to ship them out after the Big Important Spender Orders, even if it didn't actually change when they got theirs.

Yes, the guy in the thread all but comes out and says he would rather delay everyone's orders, including his, as long as he gets his first.

He also falls into a trap lots and lots of people who have never worked retail fall into, which is "The customer is always right so I don't care about stuff being literally impossible, I just want everything perfect and now and if you can't provide that you are a failure as a company"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

Smaller than expected then.

The big dragons might add some size though...

Thanks

Kaladrax is supposed to come in a box about the same size as the vampire box.

So yeah, expect a package slightly bigger than that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JackMann posted:

Kaladrax is supposed to come in a box about the same size as the vampire box.

So yeah, expect a package slightly bigger than that.

Though that might be his retail box, which the kickstarter pledges won't come packaged that way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, the guy in the thread all but comes out and says he would rather delay everyone's orders, including his, as long as he gets his first.

He also falls into a trap lots and lots of people who have never worked retail fall into, which is "The customer is always right so I don't care about stuff being literally impossible, I just want everything perfect and now and if you can't provide that you are a failure as a company"

I mean, my order probably falls somewhere between "just Vampire" and most complex order, so I won't be getting it for a while, but how churlish do you have to be to look a 47 cent miniature gift horse in the mouth?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JoshTheStampede posted:

Though that might be his retail box, which the kickstarter pledges won't come packaged that way.

No, that's the one they're shipping him in for the KS, according to Bryan.

As an aside, my one worry about this is that shipping really will take until June. I'm supposed to be going on an all-expenses paid vacation to Afghanistan about that time, so I'd really like to get mine a little sooner...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You know, honestly, if you write them a nice little email saying, "Guys, my rear end is getting shipped out in a couple months, is there any chance my box can get bumped up in the queue?" they may very well accommodate you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, from the sound of things they've been good about that kind of thing.

I may well get in touch with them myself and let them know they can hold off on my shipping until I've moved house, wheneverthefuck that may be.

(Buying a flat is a loooong-rear end process goddamnit I want it done)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I did send a message to Bryan last night on the boards about it. I don't expect them to push me ahead of everyone else, but if it looks like it may take them that long, I'd like to see if it's going to be too late to get the address changed.

• Locked thread