Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
So, I finished Chie's route in Kira Kira, and I enjoyed it. From the common route, she's definitely my favourite of the three. A lot of the VN was just too slow for my liking, but when I actually got to her route I was enjoying it a lot more. The whole swear training sequence was pretty funny, and the sequences where Shikanosuke gets in trouble for dressing like a girl were pretty entertaining. One in particular is when he's stuck alone in the girl's dressing room, and he makes another lie, on top of all the others, in spite of his previous protests.

I don't know exactly where the route splits, but it picked up for me when they "saved" Midori from the cult, and got the gun as a thank you present. Something I appreciated is that they didn't make it into a tearjerker. I could easily see them trying to do it with Chie's family problems, especially if they were going to make it hard on her younger sisters. The way it played out felt in-line with how the rest of the VN felt and the conclusion, while a little underwhelming, was enjoyable and fitting.

I plan on going through the other routes, but I'm definitely going to make gratuitous use of Ctrl. It's not next though. I'm returning to the mountain of :words: that is Fate/Stay Night to tackle UBW. I plan on going through, not trying for anything in particular (Tiger Dojos, or the good vs. true end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh, man, I forgot about the Midori thing. Especially the jeep sequence. I gotta replay that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nipple. There's nothing we can do here. Please look forward to Sonicoshock Infinity.

That is literally the only line I somewhat understood from that whole video.

Actual question, do I actually have to go through Muv Luv to be able to understand what the heck is happening in Muv Luv Alternative? Or is Alternative like an alternative (better) storyline? I am just wondering, because it looks like I am gonna finally get around to going through those games.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 1, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You really need to play Unlimited first to really understand what's going on in Alternative. Setting spoiler:Alternative is a groundhog day-like thing where the protagonist finds himself again at the point where Unlimited began with his memories intact. Essentially Alt is like the "true" route you unlock by finishing all the other routes that many VNs have, except it was enough to merit a game of its own.

You can get away with doing as little of Extra as possible, with Meiya and Sumika being the only routes necessary to open up Unlimited. I'd also recommend doing Ayamine's route both because hers actually has callbacks in Alternative which the other two optional routes don't, and because she is awesome.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 1, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

Actual question, do I actually have to go through Muv Luv to be able to understand what the heck is happening in Muv Luv Alternative? Or is Alternative like an alternative (better) storyline? I am just wondering, because it looks like I am gonna finally get around to going through those games.

Muv Luv is a trilogy, proper playing order is Extra (yes "Extra" is the first one)->Unlimited->Alternative.

Extra and Unlimited together make up the original "Muv Luv", you unlock Unlimited by clearing Sumika and Meiya's routes in Extra. Alternative is a separate game by itself.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What you need to do specifically is play MuvLuv, and finish the routes for Sumika (neighbor girl) and Meiya (rich girl).

After that, your next step will become self-evident. Don't ask any other questions if you want the full effect.
e: nevermind, over expository answers ho

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Also make sure to post your reactions here, especially once you get to Alternative.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Actual question, do I actually have to go through Muv Luv to be able to understand what the heck is happening in Muv Luv Alternative?

Absolutely yes. Even if Extra is a slog. Just do it.

Or is Alternative like an alternative (better) storyline?

No, it's a sequel and its impact is heavily predicated on knowing the first game (muvluv extra + unlimited)

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Running through Kira Kira. Kirari route spoiler here:

What the gently caress did Kirari just die? :smith: I don't need more sad stuff after Muv Luv :(

edit: Aw man the Kirari hallucination is such a kick in the balls. :(

magicalmako fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 1, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yup. Do her route again once you've finished everyone else's. Make sure you get all possible "points" with her and the band as a whole.

Even though I like Chie better as a character, that route is largely why Kira Kira is one of my favorites, ranking just behind Alternative and Clannad in terms of emotional impact.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 1, 2013

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Rodyle posted:

When you say "whole thing" do you mean you even got the true ending where you get both off?

Yeah. 100%. Okay, I haven't seen some lines, but all messages and endings, yes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Little Busters is a really slow VN.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yet they still found room to add 35,000 lines for Ecstasy :buddy:

And if you think LB! is slow, wait until you try Rewrite.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Barent posted:

Also make sure to post your reactions here, especially once you get to Alternative.

I already personally plan on doing this because good lord I did not expect this going in to Extra.

Edit: Yeah, Extra is probably needed to playthrough, but I basically held down the skip key for Meiya's route until the part where you get to the choice. And then Takahashi shows up and all is well. :swoon:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 1, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Skip all lacrosse, three idiot bits, autoread anything from sumika's route during Meiyas (or vice versa depending on who you started with), progress to Unlimited.

If you don't mind spending a little extra time, the side routes (tama, class rep, uh... sarcastic girl) all vary heavily from meiya and sumika's route/s, which are nearly identical. I personally liked both tama and sarcastic girl's routes a lot (ended up not doing class reps so I could move on to Unlimited)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hate Plus formal announcement and info: http://blog.scoutshonour.com/post/46875768659/hate-plus-mutes-golden-days-ive-talked-a#_=_

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

It’ll continue from your Analogue save file, so each ending will have its own route with equal focus.
Holy poo poo.

That sounds like it could be biting off more than she can chew.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Holy poo poo.

That sounds like it could be biting off more than she can chew.

I hope she isn't, because that sounds absolutely incredibly amazing if she can pull it off well. I have pretty high hopes since she did Analogue pretty well, and she did delay Hope Plus for a long time to presumably prep for this. Hell, Analogue is quite a step up from Digital, which was her first one, afaik, so it might be possible.

Fingers crossed!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Artificer posted:

I hope she isn't, because that sounds absolutely incredibly amazing if she can pull it off well. I have pretty high hopes since she did Analogue pretty well, and she did delay Hope Plus for a long time to presumably prep for this. Hell, Analogue is quite a step up from Digital, which was her first one, afaik, so it might be possible.

Fingers crossed!

Hm, at the same time I wonder if maybe it's wasteful effort in some cases. For example, I wonder how many people would really have bothered to do *Mute solo for anything other than completion purposes? She's kind of, ya know, insufferable.

As for Analogue vs Digital, I just played the latter for the first time yesterday, and found it rather interesting, if flawed. I will say that Digital's soundtrack blows Analogue's out of the water though.

Whatever the case, I'll probably end up getting it, even I'd rather see her move onto something else than provide information I'm not sure we really needed.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Type Moon April Fools is over, but luckily some fine folks on 4chan saved the whole thing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a3s573ye899o9ed

It certainly went to some amazing places by the end of it. There's a couple of people who said they'd work on translating it too, so hopefully that all pans out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is going to be super depressing with the Hyun-ae ending, isn't it?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Rodyle posted:

Whatever the case, I'll probably end up getting it, even I'd rather see her move onto something else than provide information I'm not sure we really needed.
I think part of what I enjoyed about the story is not knowing exactly what happened, so I'm in complete agreement with you there. That said, as much as I'd like to see something new, I do want to support her, especially as she has one of only a couple VNs on Steam.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I think part of what I enjoyed about the story is not knowing exactly what happened, so I'm in complete agreement with you there. That said, as much as I'd like to see something new, I do want to support her, especially as she has one of only a couple VNs on Steam.

For my part, I felt like there was no possible way she could have explained it that I'd swallow, so leaving it as an unknown was simply the best way to deal with it.

Fangz posted:

This is going to be super depressing with the Hyun-ae ending, isn't it?

Wasn't there also a "you are an awful person" ending where you could ditch them both?

I only got the *Hyun-ae and save them both endings personally.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Rodyle posted:

For my part, I felt like there was no possible way she could have explained it that I'd swallow, so leaving it as an unknown was simply the best way to deal with it.

Wasn't there also a "you are an awful person" ending where you could ditch them both?

There is, but it doesn't really hammer home being awful, it's just a matter of fact "and you left" kind of deal - probably because you can get it any time you want.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

It certainly went to some amazing places by the end of it. There's a couple of people who said they'd work on translating it too, so hopefully that all pans out.

Can you give an explanation of the two images you linked? I'm not sure I get their significance, though I should... I sometimes wish I could read Japanese.

Rodyle posted:

Hm, at the same time I wonder if maybe it's wasteful effort in some cases. For example, I wonder how many people would really have bothered to do *Mute solo for anything other than completion purposes? She's kind of, ya know, insufferable.

I did *Mute solo. She's nice in her own way, and she's pretty sympathetic with the whole utterly loyal, but utterly believing in the culture of the society she thought she was created in thing. She can be a jerk but she's at least friendly enough to you.

DerLeo posted:

There is, but it doesn't really hammer home being awful, it's just a matter of fact "and you left" kind of deal - probably because you can get it any time you want.

You can however get the AI to boot you off because you're such a huge rear end in a top hat. I think that counts as a bad-end though. Too bad she probably won't do one where you get the ending with both of them, and then choose to ditch them anyways. :v: That would be interesting to see. Or maybe one where you have a high relationship level with one of them, and when the sequel rolls around, your decisions turn you into a HUGE rear end in a top hat... Wishful thinking, though.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 1, 2013

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

jonjonaug posted:

Type Moon April Fools is over, but luckily some fine folks on 4chan saved the whole thing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a3s573ye899o9ed

I particularly blew my top when Shion transformed into Dust of Osris to fight Dark Sakura. The dramatic shot to her bloody, frayed beret at the end almost made me forget I was watching a gag

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy loving poo poo!

Where the gently caress did those BETA come from? Why didn't the veterans retreat? How could they have possibly held the BETA back without actual loving weapons?

Paintball gun. Jesus, Shirogane is hosed up in the head. Aaaaaand now he's hosed.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Artificer posted:

Holy loving poo poo!

Where the gently caress did those BETA come from? Why didn't the veterans retreat? How could they have possibly held the BETA back without actual loving weapons?

Paintball gun. Jesus, Shirogane is hosed up in the head. Aaaaaand now he's hosed.

:allears:

Keep reading!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

What the poo poo? IS THIS BULLSHIT.

Do they not have heat sensors or something to detect BETA? GODDAMMIT. MARIMO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Jesus Christ you're useless, Takero. You nearly got Meiya killed AND GOT MARIMO EATEN. Way to ruin everything rear end in a top hat.

I'm going to go selectively poison myself now.

Edit: Oh great he's hit his limit break and is now angsting. Like every other anime protagonist.

Okay so he has massive PTSD from his battles in the previous world, I guess that makes sense...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MuvLuv is not the best VN, but it is unmatched in schaudenfreude based entertainment. I remember watching my IRL friend do this part of the game. It really is amazing how very genuinely stressed out it makes people.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 2, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

This whole goddamn thing had better goddamn end well.

Edit: Meiya kicks rear end.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Artificer posted:

This whole goddamn thing had better goddamn end well.

Edit: Meiya kicks rear end.

Read the next bit in one sitting. You'll know when it's ok to stop.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Takeru, what the gently caress are you doing man.

HOLY poo poo STOP.

The gently caress is wrong with you.

oh god why

good loving god

holy poo poo kick his rear end meiya

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 2, 2013

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I always love reading people reaction when they get to that scene in Alternative. Most shocking moment in a VN that I've played.

Fate/ Stay Night had the second most shocking moment for me and it's not any of the ones you'd think. My reaction: HOLY loving poo poo! THAT WAS JUST THE PROLOGUE?!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Artificer posted:

Can you give an explanation of the two images you linked? I'm not sure I get their significance, though I should... I sometimes wish I could read Japanese.

One is a VOTOMS parody, the other is a Madoka Magica parody.

They're both great shows!

Keep us posted on Muv Luv by the way. I'm pretty sure half the point of this thread is to live vicariously through people experiencing Muv Luv for the first time.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Christ. That was a clusterfuck. Oh God. Man, things are really lovely now.

Edit: What's with the static?

Edit: Please don't rape Kasumi Holy poo poo he is going to give her so much trauma.

Edit x2: "Weakling." loving owned.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 2, 2013

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
That was kind of a weird moment for Takeru. Don't worry about it, you're not even at the ohgodwhat yet.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hahahah. Oh my God. You hosed up son. Hahahah. And there's Meiya! Hoo this is awkward.

Edit: Man, that music never means anything good, does it? He's on a really short fuse.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 2, 2013

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
This is hilarious to watch.

It was not hilarious three weeks ago when I went through it myself and came dangerously close to throwing in the towel. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Rodyle posted:

schaudenfreude based entertainment.

Truly. Don't think Ill ever get tired of it.

• Locked thread