Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Super Mario Sunshine
Part 1/? (LP pt.137) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFCGEG1gU8M

HEY SO FAR I LOVE THIS GAME IDK

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i'm going to be honest you guys are far father along this insane quest than i ever thought you would be. good luck.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Sunshine is easily the Mario game I have replayed the most. It feels REAL good once you get good at it because you can start skipping past all kinds of stuff.

Try a few spin jumps when you get the chance, do a quick spin on the stick and then jump! And then shoot water! Wow!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
really my main problem is that a lot of the bonus stars have areas with p bad physics

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Death Bot posted:

really my main problem is that a lot of the bonus stars have areas with p bad physics

There's no stars in this game, idiot.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

thats what the shinelluminati want you to think, with their kangaroo courts sentencing mario to forced labor

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So you guys are getting all the blue coins, right? :unsmigghh:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Dresh posted:

Confirmed they are 100%ing this game?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

there's nothing more run button than kyle forcibly nearly killing himself seconds after getting control for the first time

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Dresh posted:

Hey yall just want you to know that the only condition for the end of the game is getting the sixth (I think) shine on each level which is the shadow Mario chase one don't actually read this for a bit but definitely save it for when you get bored

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Can you turn on subtitles for cutscenes please?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

simplefish posted:

Can you turn on subtitles for cutscenes please?

did the Gamecube even have this technology?

I joke, but I wouldn't actually be surprised if the answer were "no"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It was right there in the options menu

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It was right there in the options menu

this is what I get for making a joke before watching the video

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Yeah we already realized we need subtitles but we have a few videos left from our first recording still in the can, so, its coming soon but not right away, BUT

Super Mario Sunshine
Part 2/? (LP pt.138) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcOVKODEdv8

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Super Mario Sunshine
Part 3/? (LP pt. 139)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTgAF7HA3qw

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
I didn't know you could rip the arms off that boss after you start the fight. I always just waited until I flattened the two middle arms in one go before pulling the cork out.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

If the shine sprites are supposed to be the islands guardians, why does a guy have loads of them that he sells for profit?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Lazerbeam posted:

If the shine sprites are supposed to be the islands guardians, why does a guy have loads of them that he sells for profit?

Capitalism.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

yeah they're like Indulgences. The Isle Delphino is going through a period of intense papal turmoil.

Super Mario Sunshine
Part 4/? (LP pt. 140) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqCT-edQclE

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
What is this "That's a clue" recurring bit?

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Luigi's Mansion
Part 3/? (LP pt.141) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t69eEXm0RCY

FractalSandwich posted:

What is this "That's a clue" recurring bit?

It's literally nothing. I think we made an offhand joke about finding clues in maybe the Jet Grind Radio video and we just kept saying it.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Super Mario Sunshine
Part 5/? (LP Part 142) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvrPuxnrFs

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Hey Keith what ended up happening to the Mario Advance episode? You guys showed the opening at the end of Mario Kart but then never released it.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
yeah it sucked so we're gonna redo it

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
just wanted to chime in that I love listening to you guys and appreciate the LPs. I never had a GameCube so it's fun to see Super Mario Sunshine

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Regarding recent discussions, it definitely helps to treat your videos as podcasts more than anything else. For me at least, I'm used to LPs as being by people showing off a game they know and like and cracking jokes, and watching these videos is super rough as someone who is pretty familiar with sunshine.

I definitely enjoy myself a bit more when I can be cruising social media or whatever with these videos in the background, but watching you guys struggle at the beginning of this game is real hard when I've got my full attention on it lma

Edit: and to be clear I'm trying to walk the line of not being super critical, I generally enjoy the videos, it's just a fairly unfamiliar experience. I'd prefer a little more attention paid to sunshine particularly because it seems like you plan to go pretty deep, but I also don't care a whole lot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The podcast style is what keeps me requeueing their video playlists all the time on youtube while playing games or browsing the internet.

I'm literally relistening to 20 years o' sonic right now

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
I don't know about everyone else here, but I'm here for the sweet tricks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My favorite parts are always the trivia and histories of the games they're playing, but that trend was popular during the Sonics and early Marios--DID YOU KNOW THIS WAS DOKI DOKI PANIC?!. Hearing that Keith only played SMS in McDonalds is fun, because you guys always play games that me and MY cousin played when we were growing up together as besties.

I'm excited for the strategy guide you guys are getting. I like listening to you guys, but when you're wandering aimlessly and talking about wandering aimlessly, it gets wearisome, especially since Gooper Blooper (or whatever) is one of those boss fights that are etched permanently in the brain, since it was the most memorable of the early bosses of Sunshine.

Keep up the good work!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Honestly I kinda wish there were more actual podcasts, I love the banter but struggling to progress the game less so lol

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Or maybe just more focus on the trick jumps? Can we get a compilation maybe?

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Run Button videos are best when they're as natural as possible. Sometimes that means we blaze through levels and sometimes it means we're very slow on progress. I don't think its a coincidence that the Mario game that's been the most well received recently (sunshine) is also the one that has received the most vocal criticism of not paying enough attention. I think that's an important thing to consider. Let's Plays are a few things, often simultaneously, and Run Button is often two things 1. a funny talk show 2. a story about two people playing games over a long period of time. Failure is part of that story, veering off the path is part of that story, blazing through a level is part of that story. So are arguments and jokes and silence.

But my concession, which people have already seen, is that I'm trying to be more consistent about putting out videos, and more interesting in the way i edit them. If Kyle and I aren't making progress in a video, at least i can add an extra gag or two in their to break the format a little bit. Trust that I'm always doing what I think is best for the show.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't mind the meandering but my wife sure does. I don't think she made it through one video, but then she also really doesn't like voiceover LPs--she likes subtitles or longplays so none of the actual game is covered up by talking

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
You can tell her that I also don't like LPs so I don't hold it against her

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I yell at the screen a lot but that's part of the Run Button experience and you guys should definitely keep doing what you're doing because it super works

where's that game of the year podcast though!!!

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
we're recording it tomorrow

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only thing that breaks my enjoyment is that loving baby Mario crying in Yoshi's Island.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The only thing that breaks my enjoyment is that loving baby Mario crying in Yoshi's Island.

b-b-but it's a game mechanic! you're supposed to be annoyed so you'll want to rescue the baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Luigi's Mansion
Part 4/? (LP Part 143) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf6HLd-V3UE

• Locked thread