Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taoto
Oct 22, 2010

Hehehe... Everything's going according to plan, right?
Glad to see another marathon Let's Play by you guys. Hopefully you won't get as discouraged as you were in the second half of the Sonic LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Looking forward to this. I don't really watch LPs anymore, but you guys are entertaining enough that I can't help but check up on most of your videos.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
With the 20 years of Sonic, you made a mistake, that I hope you will not repeat.

You missed the Paint game. Please do not do this again.
Good Luck!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
You guys are crazy and I love you, also, still gently caress you for VLP'ing Digimon World before me. Good luck with this, hope you don't burn out on the millions of bizarre side games. I'll be watching eagerly.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I was like, "those voices sound familiar" then I scrolled down and was like, "woah run button podcast, they also did that sonic thing", then I was like, "sweet".

Hopefully this information will aid you on your quest for marios.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
whoo-hoo, another long haul! And this time I'm actually a member so I can post all my opinions noone cares about here!

Anyways, first up, a little note of interest that I've noticed over the years with Nintendo and ports...Often when they remake a game for a different system (including the arcades) it will NOT be an identical game. Usually it will be close, but sometimes it'll be dramatically different, such as the Arcade version of Super Mario Bros or the Game Boy version of Donkey Kong. Now, I'm not expecting to see every variance where it's say, the same game with mildly different levels thrown in or something, but some of them might be worth a look see.

Regarding Wreck-It-Ralph's inspiration from Donkey Kong, well take a look at the two games' cabinets:

Also, one other thing from your chat. You guys when talking about Gunpei Yokoi and the less-than-stellar Virtual Boy reminded me of this story that's in one of my dad's "bathroom readers" that talks about Yokoi's history with Nintendo, from his early days developing toys, to apparently his having become enemies with the boss, and the Virtual Boy being pushed through by the higher ups after it being clear that it was a failure, and throwing the blame square on Yokoi to oust him from the company. I'll have to find it soon and try to maybe post some excerpts from it as we go through Nintendo's history if you'd like. It's pretty long for one of the bathroom reader entries.

donar
Nov 16, 2008
I would suggest adding Donkey Kong for the gameboy to the list. The first 4 levels are the same as the original Donkey Kong but that's just about the only similarity.

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.
I've never met seen anyone who makes commitments to Let's Play as long-term as you guys. Fantastic.

I really hope you do a side video for Mario Paint.

LeadRobot fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 30, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

donar posted:

I would suggest adding Donkey Kong for the gameboy to the list. The first 4 levels are the same as the original Donkey Kong but that's just about the only similarity.

Donkey Kong for the game boy is actually a rather amazing game all things considered. First they throw you off by having the first four levels be pretty much a perfect emulation of the arcade game, complete with the "how high can you go?" meter. Once you're done there, boom, the whole game changes. The graphics are suddenly pushing the "super game boy" (which it was designed for) to the limits in color and pattern depth (remember, this was before the game boy color was a thing). The gameplay itself becomes the first in what would be the "Mario vs. Donkey Kong" series, which plays nothing like the Donkey Kong games. Suddenly it's a puzzle strategy game, with save features, a world map, etc. The only other game I know of to be that ambitious for the original Game Boy is, funny enough, Space Invaders, where they snuck a whole second version of the game on the chips that is only playable on the Super Game Boy, but is made to look like the original arcade cabinet, complete with translucent overlay on top of the glass!

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
So it's multiplayer for New Super Mario Bros. right? I want rear end in a top hat physics in my NSMB.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Oh man, I can't wait for Dr. Bowsers Mean Goomba Machine.

Also, saw that KC Green was excited for this, you guys should try to set him up as a guest, if possible.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
20 Years of Sonic was very enjoyable overall and I'm sure this won't disappoint either. We even have a post by Niggurath on page 1, very nostalgic.

Rocketlex posted:

I've kind of picked up a lot of Mario knowledge and trivia though certain ongoing projects of mine, so I'll be sure to remind you if you miss anything of note in the Mario series.

That's you? Thanks for the entertainment.

Teensie King
Sep 8, 2011

He kinda looks like a horse doesn't he?
Your 20 years of Sonic let's play has to be one of my all time favourites and I'm glad you're revisiting this concept so soon, even if this series won't have as many laughably bad games as the last one.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
As well as this being really cool to see, if y'all are interested in playing along with KnK you should check out the Mario marathon thread over in games, where a bunch of goons are playing a bunch of the games too.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm just gonna put this out there. On the one hand, I perfectly understand why the Paper Mario games aren't getting full playthroughs. However, I'm still a little bummed the Paper Mario games aren't getting full playthroughs. They're some of my favorite Mario games.

In general, I think this is a larger problem with the Mario games than the Sonic ones. With Sonic games, there's a pretty clear delineation between the "core" games and the "side" games. With Mario, you have all these weird spin-off franchises which have ended up becoming just as if not more popular than the core. There's probably someone out there who's upset you won't be giving the full treatment to the Mario Party series, too.

EDIT: There's also a much smaller percentage of Mario games which are complete garbage. Even their stupid budget shovelware like Mario Sports Mix usually ends up way better-produced than it has any right to be.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 30, 2013

Pseudepigrapha
Apr 18, 2009
I greatly look forward to when we unearth the hidden treasure that is Mario's Time Machine.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
You guys are bad. Quality control, what the gently caress is that?!

Go back to YouTube

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Earnestly posted:

You guys are bad. Quality control, what the gently caress is that?!

Please don't threadshit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
I loved your Sonic LP, so I'm pretty excited for this.

Also, if you don't at least play through all of SMRPG I will be very upset. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tobias Grant posted:

I loved your Sonic LP, so I'm pretty excited for this.

Also, if you don't at least play through all of SMRPG I will be very upset. :colbert:

Super Paper Mario might be a good candidate for a full playthrough. I mean let's face it, every other Mario RPG game they could play would have a lot of grinding.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My one request would be playing Mario 3 without the warp zone/whistle. Sure, it makes the game a lot longer, but I've always thought there were some real gems among the levels that everyone perpetually skips.

Centurion154
Feb 1, 2013
The one problem I see with playing the Paper Mario games to completion is that they can go on for a very long time, and RPG's usually are very boring to watch as you have someone just going through menus and clicking stuff basically the entire game.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
This is going to be the best kind of insane.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My tip for a somewhat more playable way to look at the 2's is give them a quick look on the NES like you list, then go ahead and try to play them fully on the All Stars version on the SNES. All Stars changes how the games save and continue, making them far more forgiving, and completeable.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You maniacs!

Only Keith could find issue with the term "movie".

MaestroUGC
Oct 31, 2012
Super Paper Mario is probably a good game for a full playthrough, as there there is no (minimal) grinding making it effectively a platformer with RPG-style level-ups. Though Im sure these guys already know what kind of pain we want to see them in, so this should be a fun ride regardless.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You maniacs!

Only Keith could find issue with the term "movie".

I dunno, to be fair, it IS a pretty dumb term. And yet, it's the only one we have that doesn't really describe the medium the "movie" is in. Film, celluloid, video. Even dumber is "flick" which describes the sound of the film running through the camera. Cinema is an abbreviation for Cinematograph, which was an old tyme word for movie projector. Pictures is even dumber.

Orry
Apr 5, 2011
Regarding the portrayal of Billy Mitchell in King of Kong, the director claims they actually edited in order to make him seem like less of a dick than he was. Whether or not this is actually true is kind of difficult to prove, but if it is then Billy Mitchell is basically the worst person.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Real funny guys, but you missed April Fools by a day.

... wait a second. :allears:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

US Mario 2 is pretty short, I bet you can 100 percent it easily.

edit: Also the story goes that Mario was created because Miyomoto wanted the player to distinguish what was on the screen and not have a totally flesh colored character.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 31, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mooseontheloose posted:

edit: Also the story goes that Mario was created because Miyomoto wanted the player to distinguish what was on the screen and not have a totally flesh colored character.

Yeah, this is the version of events I heard too. Mario has a hat because hair is hard to portray in pixels, he wears overalls so his arms don't blend into his shirt, and like was mentioned in the video he has a mustache to hide his mouth and define his nose.

Also, gotta second the recommendation for Donkey Kong on the Gameboy. It was the first time Mario really started showing off his acrobatic abilities. Flips, kicks, handstands are all from here. Be sure to watch both openings on the title screen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Orry posted:

Regarding the portrayal of Billy Mitchell in King of Kong, the director claims they actually edited in order to make him seem like less of a dick than he was. Whether or not this is actually true is kind of difficult to prove, but if it is then Billy Mitchell is basically the worst person.

During the early days of G4, years before King of Kong, they'd run this little piece during commercial breaks where they'd do a little spotlight on Billy Mitchell regarding his attaining the world record score for Pac-Man not too long before that. It was like a little 3 minute thing where they showed him playing while he talked about the game and how in the higher levels it gets weird, with invisible walls and far more obvious AI behaviors in the ghosts and what not, until eventually you hit the kill-screen. He comes off as exactly as much of douchey tool in that, and G4 was trying to make him out to be a video game hero at the time.

Also, yeah Mario not only has a mustache so you can see where his mouth is in DK's primitive graphics, but he wears overalls you you can easily tell that he has arms separate from his torso.

Sorry I keep posting so much in the thread, I just know way too much early video game/nintendo trivia. It's funny, even if I were a paid up member back during the Sonic thread (which I followed religiously) I wouldn't have had too much input besides "yup, I played all the Genesis Hedgehogs". But here, I bet I could list upwards of 40 games Mario was in BEFORE the SNES era off the top of my head alone. I can name more versions of Super Mario Bros than wikipedia. The worst part: I have no use for this knowledge. I guess between that and participating in the Mariothon over in the main Games subforum has me a little bit too excited for this thread, and again, I apologize.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Choco1980 posted:

During the early days of G4, years before King of Kong, they'd run this little piece during commercial breaks where they'd do a little spotlight on Billy Mitchell regarding his attaining the world record score for Pac-Man not too long before that. It was like a little 3 minute thing where they showed him playing while he talked about the game and how in the higher levels it gets weird, with invisible walls and far more obvious AI behaviors in the ghosts and what not, until eventually you hit the kill-screen. He comes off as exactly as much of douchey tool in that, and G4 was trying to make him out to be a video game hero at the time.

Also, yeah Mario not only has a mustache so you can see where his mouth is in DK's primitive graphics, but he wears overalls you you can easily tell that he has arms separate from his torso.

Sorry I keep posting so much in the thread, I just know way too much early video game/nintendo trivia. It's funny, even if I were a paid up member back during the Sonic thread (which I followed religiously) I wouldn't have had too much input besides "yup, I played all the Genesis Hedgehogs". But here, I bet I could list upwards of 40 games Mario was in BEFORE the SNES era off the top of my head alone. I can name more versions of Super Mario Bros than wikipedia. The worst part: I have no use for this knowledge. I guess between that and participating in the Mariothon over in the main Games subforum has me a little bit too excited for this thread, and again, I apologize.

no need to apologize. What you're doing is literally what this thread is for.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
This is gonna be a treat, considering I've the memory of a 5-year-old and can't really remember some of the old Mario games I once played back in the day.

Shiny Llama
Jan 1, 2013

You guys are the craziest. Mario Paint requires at least a 2-hour video just devoted to the drawing sections. Clearly.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This is going to be a much happier LP than the last one I think.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

MokBa posted:

This is going to be a much happier LP than the last one I think.

It helps that, while not all Mario games are equally good, and I'm sure some people don't like some of them, none of them are at least offensively bad or broken, unlike some of the later Sonic games.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

4th Asclepiadean posted:

It helps that, while not all Mario games are equally good, and I'm sure some people don't like some of them, none of them are at least offensively bad or broken, unlike some of the later Sonic games.

Never played Hotel Mario, I take it?

CaptainSweden
May 3, 2012
What's funny is that after Donkey Kong was a hit Nintendo was given the license for Popeye and made a Donkey Kong-esque game later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
Someone ought to do a great genealogical diagram of which Mario games are considered to be direct sequels / in the same series to others. I thinking something like the Discworld Reading order:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

For instance:

The Gameboy Series: Super Mario Land > Super Mario Land 2 > Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 > Wario Land II > Wario Land 3 > Wario Land 4
The 'main' RPG series: Paper Mario > Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door > Super Paper Mario.
The 'handheld' RPG series: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga > Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time > Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story > Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

• Locked thread