Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fairy Tail is written by Hiro Mashima in Weekly Shonen Magazine.

Fairy Tail mostly takes place in the Kingdom of Fiore which is part of Earth Land. There magic is common and mages congregate together in Mage Guilds. Mage Guilds provide members both a place to socialize and the opportunity at jobs of the adventurous type. Members of a guild get a magic tattoo of their guild crest somewhere on their body. Not surprisingly Fairy Tail follows the exploits of one of the most famous of the Mage Guilds, Fairy Tail.

What Fairy Tail is actually about

Fairy Tail is a manga about expressing your love for your friends via massive property destruction.

Important Characters

Lucy Heartfilia

Lucy uses Celestial Magic. Born into a rich family, she ran away to become a mage and join Fairy Tail. While Lucy is pretty much the worst at fights, she’s beloved not only in Fairy Tail but in the Celestial Realm, which is all but of unheard of among Celestial Mages.

Erza”Titania” Scarlet

Erza uses Requip Magic. Erza appears to be a very strict person, often criticizing the bad behavior and habits of the other guild members, causing most members to apologize for fear that they might invoke her wrath.

Gray Fullbuster

Gray uses Ice Magic. Gray has a tendency to unconsciously strip off his cloths but is one of the top mages in Fairy Tail. He and Natsu have a rivalry thing going on and frequently get along as well as ice and fire would be expected to.

Jellal “Gerard” Fernandes

A childhood friend of Erza, he almost always has something to do with whatever is going down with Fairy Tail. Even an alternate universe counterpart was a member of Fairy Tail for part of the story. Jellal has been good, evil, possessed by evil, neutral, and good. In this thread he’s most often called Gerard because that’s how his name was originally translated.

Natsu “Salamander” Dragneel

Natsu uses Fire Dragon Slayer Magic. Accompanied by his best friend Happy, a flying cat, Natsu is on a quest to find out what happened to the dragon who raised him, Igneel.

Gajeel “Black Steel” Redfox

Gajeel uses Iron Dragon Slayer Magic. When he isn’t strumming his guitar and singing for the delight of audiences, he’s off kicking rear end with the best flying cat, Pantherlily.

Wendy Marvell

Wendy uses Sky Dragon Slayer Magic. Originally a member of another guild, Wendy and her flying cat, Carla, joined Fairy Tail in what seems to be a very strong trend for Dragon Slayers. Wendy’s magic is mostly healing based and Carla has limited precognitive powers that she frequently ignores.

Zeref “The Black Mage”

Zeref is more or less the Boogey Man Hitler of the Fiore history. 500 years ago he more or less tried to take over the world and is more or less worshiped by many of the bad guys. At one point in the story he shows up as an amnesiac good guy, but of course becomes evil again soon after. Obligatory Jellal Link: Zeref once possessed Jellal in order to make a super tower of evil evilness.

The Plot, should you for some reason want to just jump in without actually reading back chapters.

The story began with Lucy joining Fairy Tail and having adventures with the rest of the guild. At this time Fairy Tail was the top guild in the land. At one point her father hired the guild Gajeel was then a member of to force her to leave Fairy Tail and return home. In another story the crew goes to an alternate universe, which it turns out is the home of all the flying cats and where Jellal is actually a prince. During testing on Fairy Tail’s private island, the guild members who were present were attacked by the dragon Achnologia. Just as the assembled members were about to be destroyed, the ghost of the first Fairy Tail guild master cast a magic spell that saved them all in a time bubble.

Seven years later the guild has fallen from glory into near ruin. At this time the members of Fairy Tail who were on the island return, having not aged at all in the intervening 7 years. During the timeskip a tournament was set up for all the guilds in order to rank them. Every year Fairy Tail has come in last place. However, this year with all their member returned, they’ve vowed to once again become the top guild in Fiore.

Are there any groups other than Fairy Tail who are important?

The Magic Council: The worldwide governing body of magic. Pretty much a bunch of jerks who hate fun and do very little to save the world, but alot to inadvertently put it in harms way. Obligatory Jellal Link: Jellal was of course once a member.

The Ten Wizard Saints: More or less the ten best wizards in the world. The Guild Master of Fairy Tail is a member. So far they haven’t done anything but be a title. Obligatory Jellal Link: Yep, Jellal was a member.

Blue Pegasus: A guild that is friendly with Fairy Tail, often sharing in adventures. Blue Pegasus was the guild who found the missing Fairy Tail members post time skip. There’s also a flying cat who looks almost exactly like their 2nd in comand.

Quatro CeberusPuppy: Another guild friendly with Fairy Tail. After losing a bet with Fairy Tail during the tournament they have been forced to go by Quatro Puppy for the duration of the tournament.

Lamia Scale Yet another guild that's friendly with Fairy Tail. They've got one of the 10 Wizard Saints and the other apprentice of Gray's magic teacher in their ranks.

The Exceed: The race of flying cats most often linked with Dragon Slayers. After Fairy Tail beat all the bad guys in the alternate dimension the Exceed are native to, the Exceed were sent back to Earth Land with Fairy Tail. Some people hate them, some people like them.

Dragon Slayers: Raised by dragons, dragon slayers learn the magical abilities of their parent dragon. If a dragon slayer is low on magic, or even just hungry, they can eat whatever “element” their magic uses to recharge. If they’re in a real bind, some dragon slayers will even eat magic unrelated to their “element” which can give them a temporary power up but which is also pretty dangerous.

There are also artificial dragon slayers who have had magic surgery to give them dragon slayer powers. These seem to be even rarer than actual Dragon Slayers.

Useful links

Kissmanga

Fairy Tail wiki

Is there an anime I can watch?

There was/is, but nobody really talks about it and the last anime thread died. As of the 30th of March it is apparently on an indefinite hiatus, with the last episode covering chapter 297 and ending in the middle of the story arc.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Chapter 325 is up.

The king looks kind of like a mix of Markov and Ichiya

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fairy Tail's plot is actually getting interesting for once.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I wonder how Lucy is supposed to close the gate. Maybe knowing that she would have is enough to change the future.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I wonder what's behind that gate that's so heinous.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ChronoReverse posted:

I wonder what's behind that gate that's so heinous.

The dragons, of course.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Be honest, how long have you been waiting to bust out this thread title?

Anyways, seeing as how the anime just "ended" a few hours ago, could someone who has been following the anime and the manga kindly tell me what chapter the show leaves off at?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Wait, Gerard's hair is blue? Why did I always think it was red? :confused:

Also, I imagined Wendy's hair to be black but whatever, that's not really a big change in anime terms.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Silento posted:

Wait, Gerard's hair is blue? Why did I always think it was red? :confused:

Also, I imagined Wendy's hair to be black but whatever, that's not really a big change in anime terms.

Blue hair? What the hell?

That completely fucks with my perception of the character.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Redcrimson posted:

Be honest, how long have you been waiting to bust out this thread title?

Anyways, seeing as how the anime just "ended" a few hours ago, could someone who has been following the anime and the manga kindly tell me what chapter the show leaves off at?

I just looked it up because I didn't know the anime was over. It all ends with them discovering the dragon bones under the arena. So chapter 297, in the middle of the tournament.

Edit: For anyone who quit watching when they went into filler, but wants to see the brief return to adaptation, episode 151 looks to be where it picks back up. Guess the filler they did was really bad.

Edit 2: If blue hair Jellal surprised you, wait till you see what colors the frog cat is supposed to be.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 30, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think sting has my vote for the most nonsensical outfit in the series.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Monaghan posted:

I think sting has my vote for the most nonsensical outfit in the series.

In color, he looks like a Jojo character.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Apparently the anime is only taking a break for now, as it ended with "TO BE CONTINUED". Mashima wants people to watch reruns and wait for him to announce good news. More information here

For the manga, I wonder if Future Rogue is going to join Fairy Tail after Natsu fire punches him.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Gyges posted:

I just looked it up because I didn't know the anime was over. It all ends with them discovering the dragon bones under the arena. So chapter 297, in the middle of the tournament.

Thank you, kind sir. The anime technically isn't over, but apparently the last filler arc did so poorly in the ratings that A1 decided it wasn't worth producing another one. The anime will likely return from hiatus when the manga is far enough ahead.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Yeah some of the earlier filler stuff wasn't bad, not great, but acceptable. But every piece of filler ever since the time skip was just awful.

Also to go a bit :spergin: in the OP where you mention Blue Pegasus having a cat that looks like their leader, I think you mean their best member. The leader of Blue Pegasus is actually Bob, the fat bald guy with wings.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Isn't the OP a bit spoilery? Even outside of the "The Plot, should you for some reason want to just jump in without actually reading back chapters." section, there's a lot of key plot-points given away throughout.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think the plot synopsis is the most recent thing, and that's 60 chapters old. Everything else is from way before the time skip even, except for the picture of Zeref. Even then the spoilers are that other dragon slayers stick around in the plot, really.

Other than maybe Gajeel's music career. That's just too good not to have, spoilers or no.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Cozz posted:

For the manga, I wonder if Future Rogue is going to join Fairy Tail after Natsu fire punches him.

My money's on present Rogue. He's been shown thinking a lot about friendship and there's the connection to Gajeel.

But let's be honest, Fairy Tail's collecting all the dragon slayers, so both Sting and Rogue are joining.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Future Rogue is either going to be sent back to the future or killed like future Lucy.

For some reason I only just realized that future Lucy was the person Jellal was chasing around the tournament.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Chapter 326 is up.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I WILL LUCY.

EDIT: This is from the mangareader/panda translation, not the kissmanga one. http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/326/9

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Mangastream version: http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/39275120/1

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It seems like an odd choice to reveal Lucy has a enormous tumor on her right hip on the title page.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, future Rogue is a real dick. At least he doesn't appear to have brought his frog cat back in time with him though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm a bit surprised that rogue managed to give natsu such a one sided beatdown.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Monaghan posted:

I'm a bit surprised that rogue managed to give natsu such a one sided beatdown.

Isn't he from like 7 years in the future? That would put Natsu in essentially the same place power relationshipwise to before Ultear used her time magic to super train him.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gyges posted:

Isn't he from like 7 years in the future? That would put Natsu in essentially the same place power relationshipwise to before Ultear used her time magic to super train him.

You're right on that point, but natsu seemed to be getting in a couple of decent hits last chapter, and then rogue just powered up and kicked his rear end. It makes sense why it happened, still a little suprising to me though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Monaghan posted:

You're right on that point, but natsu seemed to be getting in a couple of decent hits last chapter, and then rogue just powered up and kicked his rear end. It makes sense why it happened, still a little suprising to me though.

I'm kind of curious what'll happen now that probably Zeref's shadow has started to possess Natsu. Will he somehow end up a shadow lightning fire dragonslayer? Will Gajeel end up a light earth metal dragonslayer to keep up?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Gyges posted:

The dragons, of course.

I'm 50/50 between that and Celestial Spirit world. Dragons makes the most sense, but then why is Lucy the one who closes it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PFlats posted:

I'm 50/50 between that and Celestial Spirit world. Dragons makes the most sense, but then why is Lucy the one who closes it?

Why can't it be dragons from the spirit world? Zodiac keys were used to unlock the gate, after all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If it was the Celestial Spirit World I don't think there'd be any real danger in having the gate be open. It's essentially just anther dimension like Edolas after all. Lucy's the one to close it because the gate seems to be based on some sort of amalgam of Zeref and Celestial magic. Basically magic gates are solidly in the wheelhouse of Celestial Mages and either Lucy or the former Saber Tooth mage are the only two present.

I do have to say that I wish Carla would either tell people about her visions of the future or just not have them. Serious cat face at developments is not very interesting and the ominous future journals of Lucy/Levey are more than enough to set the mood.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

PFlats posted:

On the last page, Lucy appears to have mind control eyes going on. I don't believe she's in charge of her body right now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

On the last page, Lucy appears to have mind control eyes going on. I don't believe she's in charge of her body right now.

You are overthinking it. Rogue is a villain, Lucy is a member of FT. Anything he wants to do should be avoided, while Lucy can't do anything too bad. A story where one of the good guys is legitimately responsible for wiping out civilization isn't going to happen in this manga.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
On the one hand, there's got to be something that makes future Rogue into a total douchebag but doesn't also make current Rogue suspect. Him and Sting are all but certain to get picked up by the guild since Fairy Tail sees Dragon Slayers like Trainers see Pokemon.

On the other hand, I don't see any member of Fairy Tail, let alone Lucy, being the actual cause of something as bad as a Dragon Blitzkrieg of Fiore.

My guess is that there's a 3rd time traveler(or just Zeref or one of the rear end in a top hat Dark Guilds) who's been manipulating events so that when eclipse is opened Dragons pour out instead of time traveling back to kill Zeref or a super anti-dragon beam coming out. So while future Rogue went Highlander with the single remaining Dragon Slayer to see who got to go back in time to make sure the gate opens so the dragons are stopped, Lucy has realized the gate actually brings the dragons and is going to close it. Probably future Lucy waited too long to close the gate which both allowed the dragon horde to materialize and made it look like she short circuited the eclipse cannon.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So I'm coming from the anime which I just this week realized was on hiatus (probably the better option as opposed to more lackluster filler) and I binged through the remaining manga chapters.

I don't really have any speculation to add but I'd just like to say god drat did they ever have some bad timing on catching up to the manga, considering how much awesome poo poo happens after.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

WhiffleballDude posted:

So I'm coming from the anime which I just this week realized was on hiatus (probably the better option as opposed to more lackluster filler) and I binged through the remaining manga chapters.

I don't really have any speculation to add but I'd just like to say god drat did they ever have some bad timing on catching up to the manga, considering how much awesome poo poo happens after.

Same situation and my thoughts exactly. Waiting to see the Rogue fight in motion is gonna be painful...

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I have to agree that Lucy isn't really in control here. Likely future Sting isn't lying but he's also misinformed, Lucy likely did close the gate in his future but Future Lucy didn't remember it because she blacked out.

Now, why it is happening and for what purpose is yet to be seen. I also am not entirely sure that the gate itself is really what people think it is either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
We can assume that there will be dragons and there will be destruction, but everything else is unclear. I'm guessing that when future-Lucy did this, she didn't have her guild with her so whatever the hell she did wasn't successful. This time, she is surrounded by people who can punch their way through most situations so everything will work out all right.

In other words, all of the mysteries and plot devices aren't terribly important because the situation will be resolved via Natsu punching someone like always.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comic posted:

I have to agree that Lucy isn't really in control here. Likely future Sting isn't lying but he's also misinformed, Lucy likely did close the gate in his future but Future Lucy didn't remember it because she blacked out.

Now, why it is happening and for what purpose is yet to be seen. I also am not entirely sure that the gate itself is really what people think it is either.

Future Rogue, Future Sting got the hell killed out of him by Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Serious Frolicking posted:

We can assume that there will be dragons and there will be destruction, but everything else is unclear. I'm guessing that when future-Lucy did this, she didn't have her guild with her so whatever the hell she did wasn't successful. This time, she is surrounded by people who can punch their way through most situations so everything will work out all right.

In other words, all of the mysteries and plot devices aren't terribly important because the situation will be resolved via Natsu punching someone like always.

Lucy's only got the awesome power of 3 flying cats and Wendy. Natsu got beat up and Marajane is further back in the prison with the other Celestial Mage girl. Of course there is Jellal's request to the magic council guys, so who knows when that'll show up.

Actually, Celestial Mage whatshername has a sister who was taken by a Zeref cult. My guess is that sister is the one actually messing with the Eclipse plan.

• Locked thread