Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Mm. Makes sense to me! The only option is to go into the future to kill Future Rogue before Future Rogue went into the past, but after Present Rogue turned to "the dark side" and became evil Future Rogue.

:ughh:

I hate time paradoxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This seems like a simple timeline actually. The first timeline involved the door opening and ten thousand dragons pouring out. Lucy travels back in time to stop this from happening. Something happens in this timeline to make it so Rogue is the only survivor, this creates the second timeline, but doesn't erase the first. Lucy from timeline one still travels back in time, but this time Rogue from timeline two also travels back in time. This creates our current timeline, timeline three.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Gyges posted:

I don't think so. There's only two time branches. Any more messing with the future like that and there'll need to be another Future Rogue or perhaps a Future Sting mucking about.

gently caress it, let's just get like a dozen of every character from alt timelines teaming up to fight a dozen Stings and his hundred of dragons. :black101:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

DrSunshine posted:

Mm. Makes sense to me! The only option is to go into the future to kill Future Rogue before Future Rogue went into the past, but after Present Rogue turned to "the dark side" and became evil Future Rogue.

:ughh:

I hate time paradoxes.

It doesn't matter what you do as long as you let Natsu do it. The manga will twist and turn so as not to let him put a foot wrong no matter what he does so all he ever has to do is punch faces forever.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This isn't very hard. In the future, Acnologia destroys everything, so future Rogue goes back in time to create a dragon army to fight Acnologia. This dragon army destroys everything, so future Lucy goes back in time to stop the gate from opening. Which causes Acnologia to destroy the world. It is a time loop.

The only solution is for future Jellal to fix everything.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Nalin posted:

The only solution is for Natsu to punch everything with fire.

Fixed.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I can't believe no one mentioned the "Magic to control my will? Too bad, we just became friends!" comment.

That was probably the best part. FRogue's super mind control magic defeated by Natsu's friendship. :black101:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nalin posted:

I think you mean the only solution is for Jellal to time travel. One Jellal is not enough, but how about one present Jellal, 3 future Jellals, a past Jellal, and 3 alternate dimensional Jellals?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nalin posted:

This isn't very hard. In the future, Acnologia destroys everything, so future Rogue goes back in time to create a dragon army to fight Acnologia. This dragon army destroys everything, so future Lucy goes back in time to stop the gate from opening. Which causes Acnologia to destroy the world. It is a time loop.

No, I think it's the other way around.

In Timeline 1 the gate opened and all 10,000 dragons came through. Future Lucy then goes back in time to stop the gate from opening, creating Timeline 2.

In Timeline 2 Future Lucy successfully closes the gate, but Acnologia ends up ruling the world. Future Rogue goes back in time to prevent Future Lucy from closing the gate, creating Timeline 3.

Timeline 3 is the current one. Because of Future Rogue's intervention the future isn't going to be the same as Timeline 2.

EDIT: Oops, mixed up Sting and Rogue.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 2, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

No, I think it's the other way around.

In Timeline 1 the gate opened and all 10,000 dragons came through. Future Lucy then goes back in time to stop the gate from opening, creating Timeline 2.

In Timeline 2 Future Lucy successfully closes the gate, but Acnologia ends up ruling the world. Future Sting goes back in time to prevent Future Lucy from closing the gate, creating Timeline 3.

Timeline 3 is the current one. Because of Future Sting's intervention the future isn't going to be the same as Timeline 2.

Rogue, not Sting.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I had no idea we were playing with multiple timelines here until that graph at the beginning of this chapter.

Really weird way to break info to the reader about such a thing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Thoren posted:

I had no idea we were playing with multiple timelines here until that graph at the beginning of this chapter.

Really weird way to break info to the reader about such a thing.

Yeah, it felt like Mashima thought we already knew all that and just needed to be reminded, even though some of it was actually new.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Fairy Tail 334

Poor Gray.:ohdear:

So, any bets on how long until he's revived?

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
I'm calling Ultear uses her time magic to revive him at the cost of her life. There was plenty of 'subtle' foreshadowing with all her monologuing.

Poor Juvia though, the girl has the worst luck :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Holy poo poo, Grey.

But yeah, Ultear seems like the likely method of his rivival.

I assume Juvia is about to wreck some poo poo though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Am I reading this right? Is that dragon named "Scissor Runner"? That's...not very intimidating.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

:stare:

That was...unexpected, to say the least.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Sindai posted:

Am I reading this right? Is that dragon named "Scissor Runner"? That's...not very intimidating.

Someone didn't take his kindergarten safety lessons to heart. :colbert:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sindai posted:

The unfortunate risk the Japanese take with using English words for names. Sometimes, they can just sound really silly.

Poor Gray though. The first one was shocking, but I figured it was survivable through Shounen willpower. Then it kept happening. They warned you about dragons, bro.

Agreed that it won't last the arc, though. That would be a sorry way to go.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The unfortunate risk the Japanese take with using English words for names. Sometimes, they can just sound really silly.

Poor Gray though. The first one was shocking, but I figured it was survivable through Shounen willpower. Then it kept happening. They warned you about dragons, bro.

Agreed that it won't last the arc, though. That would be a sorry way to go.

Maybe it'll last because didn't the same thing happen to his "clone" in Rave Master as well? Can't remember if Musica got up again or not (or even died... been a while). Then again it's highly likely he just gets revived by Ultear as everyone has been saying...

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

Scissor Runner is a great king among the dragons and I wouldn't recommend that you mock his name, unless you want his mates Glue Eater and Cone Licker to kick the poo poo out of you.

I can't believe Gray took a bullet for Juvia. (And then about a dozen more.) What a loving numpty.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eh, it is magic. You can probably safely assume that these energy blasts would have been able to injure a woman made of water while others could not, for no particular reason either way.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Grey wasn't a dragon slayer and wasn't Gerald or Ezra. What's the point of keeping him around?

amaroyui
Feb 3, 2012

PFlats posted:

Grey wasn't a dragon slayer and wasn't Gerald or Ezra. What's the point of keeping him around?

I don't like you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm kind of hoping that, much as I like Gray, he will stay dead and this will be a chance for Juvia to develop into more than just a running gag. But I know that's not what's going to happen and Ultear is just going to die to revive gray and we go back to the status quo minus one powerful female character. Not even Lucy and Erza ever get to develop as characters, and they are in the main team.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 8, 2013

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Anyone who thinks Grey will stay dead is delusional and anyone who thinks a great character should die is an idiot.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ultear's time magic doesn't work on living things (I think? Wasn't this mentioned when she was in disguise on the Demon Island when she was trying to use THE MOON to melt Deliora?) so I wonder how they will bullshit Grey back to life

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ultear's time magic doesn't work on living things (I think? Wasn't this mentioned when she was in disguise on the Demon Island when she was trying to use THE MOON to melt Deliora?) so I wonder how they will bullshit Grey back to life

Go back in time again?

ViS
Jan 13, 2004
DON'T CLOSE THREADS IN SH/SC
I bet it'll work on living things if you feed it life. Hence Ultear sacrificing herself. Total deus ex machina if you ask me. It also looked like Mashima really really wanted to draw Grey getting headshotted. However, I look forward to Juvia losing it, about time she pulled her weight.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Gray, not being Lucy, Erza, or a Dragon Slayer, often gets the shaft. Once in a blue moon he gets the spotlight for a little bit, and sometimes he gets a cool fight but a lot of the time he's the least important of the main 5. As lovely as it would be to die blocking someone who's too busy fawning over him to pay attention to the loving dragon 20 feet away, I think dying is probably the only way for him to make any sort of lasting impact on the rest of the story.

I don't want it to happen because I loving love Gray and I won't be surprised in the slightest if there's some kind of Ultear deus ex machina coming in two weeks or so, but I can also see Mashima deciding to make it stick. You never know with characters like Gray. He's clearly not a Vegeta, but he's by no means a Yamcha or Krillin either. (christ what a loving nerdy analogy)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It works on living things. She used it on the giant tree and gave everyone a power-up with it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Grey's power-up will kick in and he'll turn into organic-ice Iceman, with the caveat that he can't ever return to human form ever again or else he'd die permanently.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Eddain posted:

Grey's power-up will kick in and he'll turn into organic-ice Iceman, with the caveat that he can't ever return to human form ever again or else he'd die permanently.

I'd be okay with this if he had one-liners like Mr. Freeze.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

It works on living things. She used it on the giant tree and gave everyone a power-up with it.

Plants don't count as living. She can't revive animals.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Her NEW arc of time works on people: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Fairy-Tail/263?id=96874

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ultear, the Benjamin Button Mage.

JustLeo
Dec 12, 2011

It doesn't really specify that she can use her magic on living beings now. The second origin was portrayed as a magic "container" so it probably isn't considered living.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

She was doing it in a different way however. I doubt she can just reverse things.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

sharktamer posted:

Anyone who thinks Grey will stay dead is delusional and anyone who thinks a great character should die is an idiot.

This is basically the correct answer to anything but also:

Did anybody else think this kind of just came out of nowhere? It's pretty much been a bunch of trying to figure out weird time travel shenanigans, then we have Natsu making friends with a dragon by starting to eat him, then we get back to fights and see stuff going on. We see a fight coming up about Jellal, Ultear broods for no real reason. At the end it's more Grey/Juvia comic relief but suddenly :zaeed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

This is basically the correct answer to anything but also:

Did anybody else think this kind of just came out of nowhere? It's pretty much been a bunch of trying to figure out weird time travel shenanigans, then we have Natsu making friends with a dragon by starting to eat him, then we get back to fights and see stuff going on. We see a fight coming up about Jellal, Ultear broods for no real reason. At the end it's more Grey/Juvia comic relief but suddenly :zaeed:

"Came out of nowhere" basically describes half the major events of this manga. Time jump, anyone?

• Locked thread