Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It wasn't clear before if they would hit the reset button or work with the consequences of what has happened in this arc. Now it is. Mashima couldn't even leave Lisanna alone, and her being dead was the only point her character ever had. Anyone who thinks that Gray is staying dead is more than a little dim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

It wasn't clear before if they would hit the reset button or work with the consequences of what has happened in this arc. Now it is. Mashima couldn't even leave Lisanna alone, and her being dead was the only point her character ever had. Anyone who thinks that Gray is staying dead is more than a little dim.
I've heard that Lisanna's resurrection was due to meddling from the editor. Does anyone know if that's right?

But Mashima has had a lot of trouble with one particular character not staying dead, despite the guy being stabbed, firepunched, broken down into constituent atoms and shot into the sky, and I don't see him being any less attached to Gray. The guy could easily just wake up in the hospital tomorrow covered in bandages.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Came out of nowhere" basically describes half the major events of this manga. Time jump, anyone?

I forgot the time jump had happened until now :psyduck:

JustLeo
Dec 12, 2011

attackbunny posted:

I've heard that Lisanna's resurrection was due to meddling from the editor. Does anyone know if that's right?

I wouldn't doubt it. She had no particular character development after she returned alive back to Earthland. It would have made more sense if she stayed dead. I'd be pretty bummed too if the editor had me bring back a character from the dead. It really kills the impact it has on the story.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, it was running in that direction more and more, sort of swerving a little to keep you from fully reaching that conclusion. Then this happens and honestly, I just broke out laughing, it's a total "you've got to be loving kidding me" moment. It's just too violent and horrible to actually stick after such a random moment - that last panel is way too grim.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, it was running in that direction more and more, sort of swerving a little to keep you from fully reaching that conclusion. Then this happens and honestly, I just broke out laughing, it's a total "you've got to be loving kidding me" moment. It's just too violent and horrible to actually stick after such a random moment - that last panel is way too grim.

I'll admit, I was a little surpised when Gray first got shot in the chest. But by the time I got to the headshot, I knew it wasn't going to stick.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/335/3

Well it's not like anyone didn't predict it, but I kinda liked Ultear as a character.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

pinegala posted:

Well it's not like anyone didn't predict it, but I kinda liked Ultear as a character.

There is no way she's actually dead, btw.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

pinegala posted:

I actually sort of liked that. Purely because the entire world got to see a minute ahead, and that amuses me.

Still would have preferred him to stay dead for a few chapters, so that Juvia could try to actually be useful for once.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

it was pretty goddamn convienent that everyone who died fighting the dragons just happened to die/get seriously injured in the span that one minute.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 14, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That was more novel of an event than I would've predicted. Instead of just reviving Grey/reversing his wounds on the spot, Ultear reversed time enough so that a whole group of wizards could survive. That's pretty cool.

It's also kind of depressing to see Ultear think about how she has this amazing rear end magic saved up that she's going to use to reverse time so that none of this dragon stuff would happen, and she's ready to sacrifice her life doing it. Then she only sees the clock go back a minute, falling way flat of her expectations, as well as not knowing how helpful that actually was :smith:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's stuff like this that makes me absolutely love Fairy Tail. We all knew it was coming but the actual resolution was both hilarious, terrible and an interesting execution. The transition from 18 to 19 especially just makes me laugh DID SOMEONE WARN US? next page - Ultear just face down in the dirt. Grey going 'Someone?' and then yep, she's still in the dirt.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

seizure later posted:

There is no way she's actually dead, btw.

I hope not, the Grey storyline with his mentor/Ultear is probably the most interesting of the big 3 main char's backstories.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

pinegala posted:

I hope not, the Grey storyline with his mentor/Ultear is probably the most interesting of the big 3 main char's backstories.

Uh, it doesn't have dragons or Gerard. It's empirically the worst backstory.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Mangastream 336

It's always nice to see Natsu punch things with fire

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
And here we see, again, why this manga is fun to read.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cozz posted:

Mangastream 336

It's always nice to see Natsu punch things with fire

Yay he did it :toot:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The set it up and more or less spelled out exactly what was going to happen, and I still laughed pretty good at destroying the nigh unbreakable gate by punching a dragon into it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

The set it up and more or less spelled out exactly what was going to happen, and I still laughed pretty good at destroying the nigh unbreakable gate by punching a dragon into it.

I was kind of disappointed even though I was expecting to see someone crash a dragon through it after the first few pages, because (a) I expected someone to say that property damage was Fairy Tail's forte and breaking a gate would be nothing and (b) that none of the others helped in any way - just Natsu. That last one is kind of par for the course though so I can't be too upset, but I'm still a little disappointed no-one said anything.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 22, 2013

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I thought they were doing the whole split timestreams thing. If the recent event changes the future, then wouldn't everything else that's happening already have changed the future?

Fairy Tail just trippin all over the Paradoxes

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Well, to be fair, their plan right now was to destroy the way Rogue goes back in the future because none of this will happen or something? Why do I feel like they're going to accidentally summon Acnologia with time paradoxes?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Well, to be fair, their plan right now was to destroy the way Rogue goes back in the future because none of this will happen or something? Why do I feel like they're going to accidentally summon Acnologia with time paradoxes?

Nothing a good fire punch wouldn't handle.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Thoren posted:

I thought they were doing the whole split timestreams thing. If the recent event changes the future, then wouldn't everything else that's happening already have changed the future?

Fairy Tail just trippin all over the Paradoxes

Maybe the gate has a high concentration of chronotons and sits astride all time streams.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gyges posted:

Maybe the gate has a high concentration of chronotons and sits astride all time streams.

Th...Then all they need to do is reverse the polarity of the chronotron emitter and reroute the resulting tachyon pulse wave through the main deflector dish!! :techno:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Chapter's up.

3 chapters a week for the next two weeks?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

In the end the dragon slayers found out that punches were good, but not good enough. :smith: And at least 6 chapters for July? Wonder why.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

In the end the dragon slayers found out that punches were good, but not good enough. :smith: And at least 6 chapters for July? Wonder why.

Gray's funeral!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Natsu punched poo poo hard with a new powerup and everything turned out okay.

Never change, Fairy Tail :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So wait, what happened at the end? Was that supposed to be a different version of Lucy or something to say that they were suddenly outside the city? Future her? I'm honestly kind of lost on that point. Also, they say not one of them managed to defeat a dragon, but Natsu did. It was unconscious on the ground last I checked, which sounds like defeat to me.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

tsob posted:

So wait, what happened at the end? Was that supposed to be a different version of Lucy or something to say that they were suddenly outside the city? Future her? I'm honestly kind of lost on that point. Also, they say not one of them managed to defeat a dragon, but Natsu did. It was unconscious on the ground last I checked, which sounds like defeat to me.

I think you're talking about Future Lucy returning to her timeline since Eclipse was destroyed. Instead of her being one of a few survivors in a wasteland she was greeted by a now alive Natsu and Happy.

And you're kind of right about Natsu, but dragon Slayers should be able to slay dragons which none of them managed to do. Even if you do count it that means the dragon slayers were 1 wins and 6 losses from the seven battles. Natsu has only so many fists. Insert Chrono Trigger 'But... the future refused to change.' ending here.

e: I just noticed future Lucy has two arms again. A happy ending after all. :shobon:

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 28, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I'm taking a somewhat more pessimistic happy ending for Future Lucy here actually. I think she's still dead. It's just that she's re-united with the rest of the Fairy Tail which is kinda like heaven for her at least.

That future is definitely going to change though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I think you're talking about Future Lucy returning to her timeline since Eclipse was destroyed. Instead of her being one of a few survivors in a wasteland she was greeted by a now alive Natsu and Happy.

And you're kind of right about Natsu, but dragon Slayers should be able to slay dragons which none of them managed to do. Even if you do count it that means the dragon slayers were 1 wins and 6 losses from the seven battles. Natsu has only so many fists. Insert Chrono Trigger 'But... the future refused to change.' ending here.

e: I just noticed future Lucy has two arms again. A happy ending after all. :shobon:

It's more like Dragonslayers went 2 and 4. Natsu beat one with his fists and one with the power of friendship/shared culinary interests.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So what happened to Ultear? :gonk:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Zogundar posted:

So what happened to Ultear? :gonk:

Dead. Even less meaning to her sacrifice now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pointlessone posted:

How is there any less meaning to her sacrifice? The dragons got time bounced, but all the destruction and death they caused up to this point still happened. It's just that the future is no longer distopian

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

pointlessone posted:

But if she's really dead, shouldn't there have been a scene with Meredy being :cry: ?
I guess they could skip to :smith: at her grave

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Gyges posted:

How is there any less meaning to her sacrifice? The dragons got time bounced, but all the destruction and death they caused up to this point still happened. It's just that the future is no longer distopian

She killed herself for a minute of reversed time, when Natsu was already in range for punching a dragon into the gate. I don't think for a second she's going to stay dead though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pointlessone posted:

She killed herself for a minute of reversed time, when Natsu was already in range for punching a dragon into the gate. I don't think for a second she's going to stay dead though.

She killed herself to save Gray, who still would have died without that extra minute. Natsu's fire punching of the dragon happened after that.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Well, if the dragons never came back in the first place then they never fought everyone and she never had to use those powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Time only changes from the point of the dragon being punched into the gate forward. Future Lucy and Future Rogue dematerialize but their actions carried out to this point remain. The city is still wrecked, people are dead, and the mages are all beat up. Everyone who died in the attack isn't coming back and if Ultear hadn't given her life for one minute of time then Gray and several other people would still be dead.

• Locked thread