Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

New Chapter

So Ultear isn't dead. Big surprise. :jerkbag: While I do like that the magic did age her, it does feel kind of cheap after feeling like we'd have an actually meaningful sacrifice for a change. Oh well, shonen manga, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The end of the chapter seems to suggest to me that she died in Gray's arms. The fact that he's crying, she's saying goodbye and talking about how she was happy to be alive for the first time while sunlight streams over her all suggest that to me at least. I think it was a nice way to have her die but not die without anyone realizing or being able to confirm it basically. I do find it odd on the other hand that a low level council member was able to brainwash all the others to simply forget everything that happened. Seems a bit off a cop-off. Not that it should be surprising in Fairy Tail, but still.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
That's 339, there's a 338 as well (out on mangastream) and I imagine a 340 out soon too.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

That whole 3 chapters at a time got me all messed up.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Chapters 338, 339 and 340 are out. Looks like the final arc is starting - Fairy Tail vs Zeref

bondster
May 6, 2007

I don't get it? How was Zeref able to have a conversation with Mavis? Even after the throwaway line of "I can't hear you or see you but I know you're there Mavis". Telepathy? Oh Fairy Tail, you're cool but sometimes you make no sense.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bernardo Orel posted:

Chapters 338, 339 and 340 are out. Looks like the final arc is starting - Fairy Tail vs Zeref

God drat it. I hate villains whose motivation is that people aren't all sunshine and rainbow loving teddybears so the only possible solution is killing them. It's just such a retarded idea by any standard. Even Gundam falls victim to it thanks to CCA (and G, Wing & AGE). Oh no, everyone in the world didn't miraculously change in just over a decade - time to drop an asteroid and kill them all as punishment for being human. I'm still going to read it, because the overall plot makes barely any difference in Fairy Tail and there's even a good chance I'll forget what it is for many chapters given how little bearing it'll have, but I just wanted to rant on how much I hate that motivation for a few seconds.

By the way, when did their Guild get destroyed or whatever? Don't recall that at all.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

tsob posted:

By the way, when did their Guild get destroyed or whatever? Don't recall that at all.

I think it was during the seven years timeskip when fairy tail totally sucked and spent all their money and had to sell all stuff or whatever.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

It was just foreclosed on during the time skip, and now Magnolia is giving it back to Fairy Tail. The repairs are because no one used it in who knows how long.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I am also glad these three chapters got released together, because the only cool thing that happened there was in chapter 338 - Natsu crashing the castle party like a boss :black101:

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Robviously posted:

New Chapter

So Ultear isn't dead. Big surprise. :jerkbag: While I do like that the magic did age her, it does feel kind of cheap after feeling like we'd have an actually meaningful sacrifice for a change. Oh well, shonen manga, etc.

I dunno about that. I feel like instantly aging to 90 or however old is still a gigantic sacrifice and maybe a bit more interesting than just dying. It's not often that I'd praise Mashima's characterisation, but I think it rounds out her arc nicely. She essentially sacrificed her life as it was, but still got the opportunities to appreciate that what she did wasn't in vain and enjoy her redemption. Keep in mind that immediately after casting the spell, she thought the effect was so minimal that it was totally useless. I guess what I'm saying is that this isn't Berserk. It would feel really out of place if she died thinking her sacrifice was entirely in vain.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I agree. I was actually quite unhappy with the original result but this is much better while still being a sacrifice

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I dunno about that. I feel like instantly aging to 90 or however old is still a gigantic sacrifice and maybe a bit more interesting than just dying. It's not often that I'd praise Mashima's characterisation, but I think it rounds out her arc nicely. She essentially sacrificed her life as it was, but still got the opportunities to appreciate that what she did wasn't in vain and enjoy her redemption. Keep in mind that immediately after casting the spell, she thought the effect was so minimal that it was totally useless. I guess what I'm saying is that this isn't Berserk. It would feel really out of place if she died thinking her sacrifice was entirely in vain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bernardo Orel posted:

I am also glad these three chapters got released together, because the only cool thing that happened there was in chapter 338 - Natsu crashing the castle party like a boss :black101:

There's also the part when he goes to pull out the tournament trophy and pulls out the king's crown he ganked while looking for it.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Mavis's ghost though. It seems like all she really brings to the table is a way to drop exposition in dialogue instead of monologue.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Is Zeref just flipping a coin to decide his morality or what?

Deciding that people are vile and must all be annihilated after an arc that just ended with everyone hugging and becoming BFFs forever does not make a lick of sense. Ninety percent of Fairy Tail villains are redeemed and all emotional problems are solved immediately with yelling. This is a very optimistic manga.

This arc is going to end with Zeref getting hugged into submission. Natsu can hug with one arm and punch with the other.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

attackbunny posted:

Is Zeref just flipping a coin to decide his morality or what?

Deciding that people are vile and must all be annihilated after an arc that just ended with everyone hugging and becoming BFFs forever does not make a lick of sense. Ninety percent of Fairy Tail villains are redeemed and all emotional problems are solved immediately with yelling. This is a very optimistic manga.

This arc is going to end with Zeref getting hugged into submission. Natsu can hug with one arm and punch with the other.

You're over complicating things. All good headbutts come when the headbuttee is wrapped up, like in a hug.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
It sounded like Ultear died right after that last scene?

Also surprised no one commented on Gray saying "gtfo skank" to Juvia. Juvia will be Sa-chan from now on. :downsgun:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zogundar posted:

It sounded like Ultear died right after that last scene?

Also surprised no one commented on Gray saying "gtfo skank" to Juvia. Juvia will be Sa-chan from now on. :downsgun:

I actually don't understand why Gray is such a dick to Juvia in the first place. She only "stalks" him in a comedic sense.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually don't understand why Gray is such a dick to Juvia in the first place. She only "stalks" him in a comedic sense.

He's not though, he was just trying to make it plain to her that he doesn't love her. He chats away normally with her until she tries to push the love thing, then says he wants to be clear about it (something that could even be construed as development following his death) from now on and she starts acting crazy, so he calls her on it. And let's not forget that he saved her life at the cost of his own without a second thought not so long ago. He's not exactly rear end in a top hat of the year or anything.

Edit: Reminds me, I did love Juvia will be 2.0 on from now on, and then the diagrams showing the various versions of her. That, and Erza somehow pulling the three cats from her cleavage to cheer up Millianna.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 5, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/340/7

Who is the black-haired girl on the left in the top panel? I keep seeing her in the various guild spreads, but I can't for the life of me remember who she is or if she was ever even introduced. She looks pretty generic, but that somehow makes her stand out in this series and it annoys me that I have no idea who she is or what she does. I at least vaguely recall everyone else in that spread.

Edit: vvvv Thanks, that would explain why I have no idea who she is. That's certainly uhhh... a back story.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 6, 2013

bondster
May 6, 2007

chumbler posted:

http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/340/7

Who is the black-haired girl on the left in the top panel? I keep seeing her in the various guild spreads, but I can't for the life of me remember who she is or if she was ever even introduced. She looks pretty generic, but that somehow makes her stand out in this series and it annoys me that I have no idea who she is or what she does. I at least vaguely recall everyone else in that spread.

I forget her name, but she was someone that was introduced into the anime and written into the manga as canon. It's the human form of the snake that Cobra was partnering with in the Oracion Seis arc.

JustLeo
Dec 12, 2011
I get a slight chuckle seeing stuff get shoved into Max's rear end every time some shenanigans break out.

I'm referring to a page in 338 after the fight for Yukino begins.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Who cares about all this plot nonsense, the best part of these recent chapters was that party (I stopped reading for like, 2 months and just remembered to catch up).

Overall I'd say the arc highlights came down to (least to greatest):

-All the dragonslayers losing the race (even when Sabretooth was still ostensibly serious)
-Laxus beating all of Raven Tail by himself
-Natsu befriending a gigantic burning skeleton dragon by chewing on him
-Wrap Party
-Erza beating all the the monsters

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bondster posted:

I forget her name, but she was someone that was introduced into the anime and written into the manga as canon. It's the human form of the snake that Cobra was partnering with in the Oracion Seis arc.

Wrong. She was in the manga before she was in the Anime.

This is from back at the Edolas arc. She pretty much only shows up in group shots of the guild. The anime just dicided to make her a plot point because it's a rather interesting plot point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rodyle posted:

Who cares about all this plot nonsense, the best part of these recent chapters was that party (I stopped reading for like, 2 months and just remembered to catch up).

Overall I'd say the arc highlights came down to (least to greatest):

-All the dragonslayers losing the race (even when Sabretooth was still ostensibly serious)
-Laxus beating all of Raven Tail by himself
-Natsu befriending a gigantic burning skeleton dragon by chewing on him
-Wrap Party
-Erza beating all the the monsters

I'd add the fight between the dragonslayers and the final battle royal where Fairy Tail won without losing anyone.

Also anyone who doesn't think Elfman's fight is worthy of the highlight reel isn't a man.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

I'd add the fight between the dragonslayers and the final battle royal where Fairy Tail won without losing anyone.

Also anyone who doesn't think Elfman's fight is worthy of the highlight reel isn't a man.

I forgot Elfman's fight, but yes that was also amazing.

Remembering things in Fairy Tail is sometimes surprisingly difficult for something with such a simple story.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Rodyle posted:

I forgot Elfman's fight, but yes that was also amazing.

Remembering things in Fairy Tail is sometimes surprisingly difficult for something with such a simple story.

I agree, it's probably because most of it doesn't really matter a few chapters later.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Honestly, I think this was probably the best arc in the series. Tournament arcs are admittedly extremely cliché, but god drat are they fun when done well.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I love tournament arcs. Dark Tournament, the War Games, that one from Flame of Recca, bring em all on.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm expecting the Door of Tartarus to be another door filled with dragons.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

On the other hand, the lowlights reel would have to include Wendy's and Mirajane's fanservice fights. And the fights in the castle were pretty bad too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

incidently if we assume it was 1 minute of time per human or so, and cost Ultear 100 years prehaps (fairly sure a lot of mages are over 100 due to magic) then we get a population of 52 million and change for fairytale verse in population at a 1 for 1 rate of exchange.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Nahxela posted:

I'm expecting the Door of Tartarus to be another door filled with dragons.
Maybe it's just totally literal. All the Tartaros people live in a place, and now they're opening the door of said place so they can walk out of it. Climbing out of the window would be undignified.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some Information I just found out in a in a Q&A some info about Yukino was interesting. A cult of Zeref worshipers killed her parents and kidnapped her older sister Sorano bringing her to the Tower of Heaven Who do we know that looks a lot like Yukino and was a slave in the Tower of Heaven.

Edit:Yeah I am just slow I guess.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 7, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some Information was just revealed in a in a Q&A some info about Yukino was interesting. A cult of Zeref worshipers killed her parents and kidnapped her older sister Sorano bringing her to the Tower of Heaven Who do we know that looks a lot like Yukino and was a slave in the Tower of Heaven.

That's not new information. It was in chapter 303. Everyone immediately said, Oh, it's Angel. In fact, so many people immediately said Oh, it's Angel, that I half suspect her sister will turn out to be Millianna.

You can hardly be blamed for forgetting it, though, considering it hasn't been remotely relevant. Not even when Angel's old teammate showed up. I'd guess it'll be a plot point in the Tartaros arc and Yukino can give Angel a get-out-of-evil-free card.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

attackbunny posted:

That's not new information. It was in chapter 303. Everyone immediately said, Oh, it's Angel. In fact, so many people immediately said Oh, it's Angel, that I half suspect her sister will turn out to be Millianna.

You can hardly be blamed for forgetting it, though, considering it hasn't been remotely relevant. Not even when Angel's old teammate showed up. I'd guess it'll be a plot point in the Tartaros arc and Yukino can give Angel a get-out-of-evil-free card.

Well Considering that Cobra just said he was going to free the six she will be back fairly soon I guess.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Considering that Cobra just said he was going to free the six she will be back fairly soon I guess.

Is that really what he meant though? Even ignoring the anime arc (Which I'm not sure you should since it's supposedly canon) there's only four of the original members worth freeing including himself, since I'm relatively sure Brain/Zero died, and Richard/Hoteye joined Team Friendship.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zogundar posted:

Is that really what he meant though? Even ignoring the anime arc (Which I'm not sure you should since it's supposedly canon) there's only four of the original members worth freeing including himself, since I'm relatively sure Brain/Zero died, and Richard/Hoteye joined Team Friendship.

I doubt Brain is dead. But I also doubt Cobra would want to work with him again after he stabbed him in the back. Still if Klodoa and Erigor are around he could get them as they were members back in the anime arc. If Cobra is willing to work with Brain again then kick Klodoa and add Erigor.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Am I the only one who barely remembers anything of the older Fairy Tail arcs? Like, no joke, all I remember from early Fairy Tale is Natsu and Lucy infiltrating a mansion, Natsu eating some golden fire, the dragonslayers are statues(???), and that there was a machine that changed people's alignments.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silento posted:

Am I the only one who barely remembers anything of the older Fairy Tail arcs? Like, no joke, all I remember from early Fairy Tale is Natsu and Lucy infiltrating a mansion, Natsu eating some golden fire, the dragonslayers are statues(???), and that there was a machine that changed people's alignments.

This is just part of the Fairy Tail experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Silento posted:

Natsu eating some golden fire

Wait, what? When did this happen?

• Locked thread