Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Gyges posted:

Shame that the only consequences suffered in the entire manga are a dude with a metal jaw that most people can't remember being the only person to die, Jellal's buddy in crime and Gray's redemption example sacrificing her youth, and the bad dragon disintegrating because he never learned the power of friendship.

Definitely the most recent one. That's when Fairy Tail amnesia got real bad.

According to that one guy's abilities in Spriggan 12 that can summon the dead to fight for him, a lot of the villains Fairy Tail faced apparently died off screen. I don't remember them getting killed after being defeated anyways, but then again I have trouble remembering most of the stuff in this manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
All the dragons died. Sherria lost her magic permanently. Gildartz is still missing an arm. Ultear is still old. Also that bomb demon killed a few people.

I still don't understand why any of this matters though. Fairy tail was great because it was dumb and light-hearted and just poorly enough written to still be entertaining. While it was far from being good, I definitely wouldn't say it was anything close to being bad either. It was just fairy tail!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It was kinda uniquely bad in its own way, the fairy tail way.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I enjoyed that last chapter. Most epilogues are terrible but this one was great. It's nice to think the gang is still adventuring to this day on their 100 year quest.

Everything before the last chapter was terrible but I did enjoy the long time running gag of dragon slayers being sick on vehicles actually becoming important and somewhat useful.

Can't believe it lasted 545 chapters.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So what's everyone's Laxus OTP?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sharktamer posted:

All the dragons died. Sherria lost her magic permanently. Gildartz is still missing an arm. Ultear is still old. Also that bomb demon killed a few people.

I still don't understand why any of this matters though. Fairy tail was great because it was dumb and light-hearted and just poorly enough written to still be entertaining. While it was far from being good, I definitely wouldn't say it was anything close to being bad either. It was just fairy tail!

Gildartz has been missing an Arm since he first appeared.

Also Sherria clearly did not lose it permanently as we see her doing magic in the final chapter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
as someone who has been following fairy tail on and off for years I'm not sure what anyone expected or wanted this ending to be

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Blockhouse posted:

as someone who has been following fairy tail on and off for years I'm not sure what anyone expected or wanted this ending to be

At a guess, literally anything that would make "Oh don't bother reading Fairy Tail, it's literally just this for every arc without variation or consequence http://i.imgur.com/edTHU80.jpg" an incorrect statement instead of fact.

Now that it's over, I have to say that this may be the single most bland manga I have ever read. I can't even call it a bad manga because then I would be able to remember anything about it. "Fairy Tail: It existed, if only as a blank spot in my memory every week" is my judgement.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 24, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So like

what everyone explodes or Natsu dies or something that's not at all tonally consistent with the rest of the series?

also to be fair you can't say FT is the blandest manga when Rave Master exists. FT at least has characters.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm ok with the ending because Ichiya is still alive and still is the hunkiest hunk of the entire manga.

Farewell Mashima, I hope you can achieve your dream of becoming a light romance or even a hentai mangaka.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Rave Master rules; Fairy Tail drools.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rave master: the manga where every single goddamn villain who shows up has +x power levels higher than whoever they are supposed to fight, followed by that person gaining x+1 power levels. over and over and over until it shits itself to death.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

McTimmy posted:

Rave Master rules; Fairy Tail drools.

this is an insane person's opinion but okay

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Uh, I'm disappointed in the ending because he didn't use Gyges' ending and that would be the proper ending for FT.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Man, I tried to read Rave like seven years ago when FT was still fresh and really popular and everyone kept telling me how good Rave was, and I barely made it past the midpoint before I called it a day, and I can't say I remember anything about it except the names of two MCs and the dub intro theme. FT is ironically more memorable through sheer attrition if nothing else.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
rave has like one really well done and sad death in it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The one time Jellal had the decency to stay dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

So like

what everyone explodes or Natsu dies or something that's not at all tonally consistent with the rest of the series?

also to be fair you can't say FT is the blandest manga when Rave Master exists. FT at least has characters.

What the.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

rave master: the manga where every single goddamn villain who shows up has +x power levels higher than whoever they are supposed to fight, followed by that person gaining x+1 power levels. over and over and over until it shits itself to death.

What the????

Blockhouse posted:

this is an insane person's opinion but okay

What the????????????????????????

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

The one time Jellal had the decency to stay dead.
lmao

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I hope that Mashima writes this goofy romantic comedy manga next because I think he'd be good at it.

Fairy tail quality was consistent throughout it's run. A solid "meh."

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Fabricated posted:

My god why is that a meter of quality?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's not the body count that matters, it's the constant resorting to heroic, certain-death sacrifices... which are then immediately walked back, usually before the arc is even over. Like, maybe resolve a problem without someone claiming someone died to do it in the first place?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Fabricated posted:

are you referring to the one where a skeleton stays in human shape for hundreds of years, propped up by nothing and out in the open

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

sharktamer posted:

My god why is that a meter of quality?
It isn't it's more a of a comparison- the scene in Rave was actually pretty affecting and sad and didn't get walked back.

Relin posted:

are you referring to the one where a skeleton stays in human shape for hundreds of years, propped up by nothing and out in the open
It didn't really make sense but still, good scene.

I mean, it has been years since I read Rave and I remember that. I literally, for the life of me, cannot remember anything specific about Fairy Tail now.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

so who canonically hosed in this manga

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

slev posted:

so who canonically hosed in this manga

Those two guys who got married and had a kid over the first timeskip.
Gazille and Levy.
Gray and Juvia? Maybe?

Anyone else who's canonically had children, like Makarov.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

It isn't it's more a of a comparison- the scene in Rave was actually pretty affecting and sad and didn't get walked back.
It didn't really make sense but still, good scene.

I mean, it has been years since I read Rave and I remember that. I literally, for the life of me, cannot remember anything specific about Fairy Tail now.

Yeah, Sieg (Zieg?)'s final moment was one of the more powerful moments in Rave.

I seriously loved Rave a lot.

Fairy Tail had some hype page spreads though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh right, speaking of kids, it's hilarious that Zeref and Mavis got to be reborn and have another chance while their child, who spend his entire life unknown by his parents, is still dead and gone.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

Oh right, speaking of kids, it's hilarious that Zeref and Mavis got to be reborn and have another chance while their child, who spend his entire life unknown by his parents, is still dead and gone.

August is definitely in the running for Worst Fairy Tail Character, both in concept and plot relevance. What an absolute waste.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

This would not have happened if he'd had a gun friend

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Haha unloved by his parents AND the audience, get loving owned

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Haha unloved by his parents AND the audience, get loving owned

Existence is meaningless. :rip:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hate-Senpai posted:

Those two guys who got married and had a kid over the first timeskip.
Gazille and Levy.
Gray and Juvia? Maybe?

Anyone else who's canonically had children, like Makarov.

don't forget the full complete list of everyone who hosed when they weren't affected by the orgasm magic

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

August will be reborn as new-Zeref gets new-Mavis knocked up, only to be abandoned at the nearest orphanage once born.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I think August, much like many other characters, was a waste because the character was good and cool but the dialog, story, and writer, are all garbage.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Crazyeyes posted:

I think August, much like many other characters, was a waste because the character was good and cool but the dialog, story, and writer, are all garbage.

Honestly, this definition describes Fairy Tail as a whole pretty well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
how did Zeref and Mavis get reborn as basically adults within the year they were both dead

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
magic

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I kinda assumed they weren't reborn but rather apparitions like how the First could only be seen by the guild.

Or something. I don't know it's fairy tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real magic was the plot holes we found along the way

• Locked thread