Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So what happened to Ultear? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

pointlessone posted:

Dead. Even less meaning to her sacrifice now.
But if she's really dead, shouldn't there have been a scene with Meredy being :cry: ?
I guess they could skip to :smith: at her grave

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
It sounded like Ultear died right after that last scene?

Also surprised no one commented on Gray saying "gtfo skank" to Juvia. Juvia will be Sa-chan from now on. :downsgun:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Considering that Cobra just said he was going to free the six she will be back fairly soon I guess.

Is that really what he meant though? Even ignoring the anime arc (Which I'm not sure you should since it's supposedly canon) there's only four of the original members worth freeing including himself, since I'm relatively sure Brain/Zero died, and Richard/Hoteye joined Team Friendship.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I think Brain is alive, but Racer is dead. And Angel is useless now because Lucy took her keys. So only three members worth freeing, including himself.
Why would Brain be alive? He was inside Nirvana when it asploded, and was a no show during the Zentopia arc when the rest of the gang escaped. I'd think they'd have gotten him out too while they were at it if it were possible. Racer I don't remember what happened to him during that arc but I don't -think- he died. *check* Wiki says he was saved by Lyon in the manga and was ready to quit being evil at the end of the Starry Key arc in the anime.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

attackbunny posted:

Oh, her again. That's okay, she didn't get thrashed hard enough last time.
I see I'm not the only one that thought this. She got off way too easy.

At first I thought it was Ultear and that since this involved Tartaros, it meant she'd died and gone to hell and back or something and was going to be evil again :v:

Now that the anime restart has been officially announced, I wonder how long it will last. It figures that I had no safe way of finding out that the anime was even coming back (As far as I knew it could have been gone forever, TO BE CONTINUED LOL SUCKERS) or maybe I could have waited to read the manga at least until they finished the anime version of the.. whatever people around here call the last arc. Natsu Punching Festival arc.

Now though.. I kind of doubt it will keep going once it reaches the batch of chapters from last week, which means because I gave in and read the manga I'm looking at a much, much longer amount of time if I were to try to go back to seeing new material in anime form. Crud.

Hand of the King posted:

Is there beef between Oda and Mashima?
Huh? :confused:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
No joke - I had not (And still haven't; maybe someday) read One Piece and when the Fairy Tail anime came out, I immediately drew a connection between the two. I thought based on the character designs that it was being done by the same guy. I was even more surprised when I realized One Piece was still ongoing. I just figured the author was some kind of machine to be drawing two weekly manga concurrently. It never occurred to me that maybe they were done by two different guys. I'd never heard of Rave Master or Mashima until someone cleared up this misconception for me (I think I might have matter-of-factly stated that "the One Piece guy" also did Fairy Tail.) :o:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Speculation layered on speculation:
I wonder if Natsu will be the only one "immune" or at least, not noticeably affected (Since he's over 80 or something.) I guess Wendy could have that deal going on too, but she didn't appear until later and wasn't there with Natsu and Gajeel when they were unable to leave the room with that rule, so who knows.
As for Ultear, I'm just speculating here but this is probably just an area effect, so she'd have to stay there to remain young.
Although I guess some cop out like "I studied the area and was able to restore my original age" could happen.
Of course if you assume that the age reversal only goes a limited number of years (Thus letting Natsu hog the spotlight as they find themselves in a situation where he's the only one who can fight normally) then it wouldn't make enough difference for her.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

GoatLord posted:

That's not... no, you know what, you keep on believing that. It's better that way.

I didn't realize either until you pointed it out, I can't go back can I? :(

I didn't realize Doranbolt (I assume it's him) was.. you know.. like that though. When was that ever mentioned? Is it because he had some interaction with Wendy? Then again, if I didn't pick up on this..

I see my other theory was destroyed. I am sad.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

tsob posted:

She already has, kind of, in Aquarius.
Isn't Lucy the "Juvia" in that setup?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Not really, since Lucy doesn't love Aquarius on any kind of personal level either - she just wants her to help her in fights. She may love her in a "I love all people/spirits" way mind, but I was referring more to the water power than the unrequited love thing.

I meant because Lucy desires her help and Aquarius has a "leave me alone" attitude.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

japanese attack names :words:
Can someone explain how the term "thousand birds" for "chidori" came about? I get that it uses the characters for "thousand" and "birds." But I can find no reference for chidori meaning this except Naruto (Which I've never read.) I've seen multiple [English] places refer to it as "lit. thousand birds" but, um, literally it sort of means "plover," at least according to every Japanese dictionary I've checked (Including at least one slang dictionary.) That or the name "Chidori." Is it just a specialized contextual thing? At least in this instance though, that technique looks neither like a plover or a thousand birds :smith:

international owl day posted:

All characters with huge tits become permanent members of the cast. This is Fairy Law.
Eh it seems more like a temporary focus, supporting cast role. She did say she didn't actually want to join Fairy Tail.

Actually come to think of it,
Didn't she say Raven Tail was disbanded a while back? Why did that happen exactly? They just got kicked out of the tournament, it's not like the guild leadership/Ivan was sent to jail or anything.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Well that was pretty enjoyable, if only for the first few pages of Grey loving around with the Ogre dude. Pity he didn't get to do more that really, it was entertaining. I'm not sure how he could make an entire floor of ice but only that tiny hammer though. I'm also not sure what the point of Natsu getting turned young was if it was going to get reversed so quick and basically have no consequence.

Well it doesn't really reverse your age. I think it's the FT equivalent of Super Mario getting hit and then shrinking into regular Mario.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Oh yeah: What's the pecking order of villains at the moment? Is Zeref the big bad, or is it supposed to be Acnologia? I never understood if Zeref summoned that guy or if he was just doing his own thing. Do we even know?

I'd think it'd be Zeref, if for no other reason than that he has a normal face that can be punched, but I would be completely unsurprised if Acnologia turns into a smaller humanoid or something

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

If I remember correctly, Acnologia was a dragon slayer who killed so many dragons that he became a dragon. I believe that Zeref showed up later doing his world spanning evil thing. The island arc seemed to hint that Zeref was actually sort of kind of good in that he was looking for a way to kill Acnologia and was the lesser of the two evils. I mean an evil tyrant is probably better than a civilization crushing natural disaster.

But (Why am I spoilering this) didn't Zeref just say that humans didn't meet his high standards and therefore they all had to die?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Calling it now based on this chapter alone: That guy is Gray's dad

Aren't his parents dead? If his dad was such a bigshot, wouldn't he have killed Deliora without trying? Or not, I'm not sure where Deliora fits in the hierarchy of things since Iced Shell sounds like it's capable of beating anyone that's not at the very top of the food chain (If we assume Hades would have been beaten by it as Ultear claimed.) Also I suppose that was what, 14 years ago now? Maybe when the series started he hadn't gotten that big promotion to the guild's Ginyu Squad.
That would be a fun twist though.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

I don't get why a Demon Slayer is a vile and terrible man? Sounds like he was mistaken when he froze the village.

I'd almost think it was a mistake in understanding the wording (Contrast Demon Slayer vs. Demon Slayer, or, a Demon that is a Slayer vs. a person that is a Slayer of Demons) except Dragon Slayers have been firmly established as having the purpose of slaying dragons. But then they also use dragon powers and if Acnologia is any indication eventually they become one so maybe it's a little of both.

As for the other part, if we assume that Atlas is Igneel's friend and Igneel is an enemy of Zeref, I think it becomes a bit clearer.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

bondster posted:

New Chapter

drat it Mashima, you just had to take a nice, cute happy moment and complete ruin it by making Flare's breasts gigantic and putting them in the center of the frame :cripes:

Typically wouldn't complain about this considering it's Fairy Tail, but this poo poo is just awful.

:words:
I'm probably definitely overthinking it, and I know it's Fairy Tail, where 2 out of 3 villains remember the meaning of friendship and decide to become NAKAMA but Flare's conversion to good bothers me. It's good that it was set up early and she didn't spend too much time as an evil bitch, but that initial creepy evilness was never explained away to my satisfaction. I really kept expecting her to stab everyone in the back during this arc ("Hey I'm following you guyz<3 and oh what a coincidence I'm actually from this village, and the giants would gladly corroborate my story if only they weren't too busy being frozen! Also I have this bridge back in Magnolia, I think you may have seen it a few times..")

I just don't get it. I suppose if she were an innocent soul to start with, Raven Tail would have no problem corrupting her. But then why does it seem as though all it took to undo her twisted and sadistic side was a single beating? M-maybe she saw that when other guilds lost they got ice cream and medical attention and realized she was getting a raw deal? On the other hand, if she were just naive and temporarily fell in with a bad crowd, why did she become a monster in such a short amount of time? Nor did it seem like she needed much nudging to clobber Lucy. If anything she was enjoying herself a little too much.

and no one break out the 'Y' word please

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Convergence posted:

All I can see is Griffith

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

"Oh cool a Berserk upd- oh wait."

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

tsob posted:

I'm actually more annoyed at the way Minerva responds than the ridiculousness of the new character's design. Minerva's whole thing is supposed to be that she doesn't give a poo poo about anyone but herself, doesn't hold any real sense of guild loyalty and wants to be the strongest. Suddenly someone shows up who squashes her latest guild on her own and has a magic that makes people stronger if they can withstand it. I expected Minerva to just smirk at that point and ask for the Tartarus chick to do it on her because she knew she could withstand it, but nope, time for crying and helplessness instead. I know she's getting friendzoned by Erza given last chapter, but hers is gonna come off as badly as Flare's by the looks of things. I actually kind of like Flare's current characterization, even if it's highly reminiscent of Juvia, because it's fun in a weird way, but it really could have been set up or executed way better.

See with Minerva, I'm leaning against her actually making the transition to good (At least while still alive or generally intact.) She's most closely involved with Erza, who has the most tragic-est past and is probably the worst person to have as an old friend or enemy in Fairy Tail. It's a kiss of death. It basically guarantees you to have lived at least part of your life in abject misery (Or even being killed in one case.) Your odds of surviving after a fight with her are also less than perfect now.

Since this is Fairy Tail and usually only the worst people actually die (wtf why is Jiemma still alive) maybe she'll survive the evil-ining, but she could also be destroyed by it after a fight with Erza, thus giving us a reason for Erza to horribly murder Femto. :v:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
When I was reading this I half expected this thread to be purged from the forum or something. "This is it, this is the line crossed that will get this knocked out of polite discussion."

Glad to see I was wrong!

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I hope whoever came up with the Silver=Gray's Dad theory is happy, because now if that doesn't happen I'll be disappointed. :colbert:

Also wait, if they're demons, and Silver is a Demon Slayer, uh.. hold up, I thought Slayer magic was used by humans to mimic their respective origin. Why would a guy who's already a demon need Demon Slayer magic? Do Dragons use Dragon Slayer magic?

I wonder who Oracion Seis consists of these days after the anime filler arc. Is it the original six he's asking for the release of? I'd think Richard/Hoteye wouldn't want to hang out with evil people anymore. The new version? But then that wouldn't work because-

anime arc spoiler:
Michelle or whatever her real fake name was turned into a doll and is not in jail. Something probably happened to at least one of the other guys too. I think the staff guy who was supposed to be smashed/dead got smashed again?

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 19, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Imitatia was always a doll. Klodoa actually came back in another Ova and got smashed again there he apparently has the power to come back from the dead. Anyway I am guessing the Six Cobra wants would be Brain, Midnight, Cobra, Angel, Racer and Erigor.

I know, I went back and changed that description to be more ambiguous just in case. Even though I was using spoiler tags. I guess because this is a manga thread so just-in-case someone assumed it was manga spoilers without paying attention to the label in the event that they hadn't seen it and might have wanted to, it wouldn't be COMPLETELY spoiled. I'm weird that way.
Incidentally, I think you spoiled the one OVA I haven't seen yet. :gonk:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Andrast posted:

He's so getting Worfed.

Considering the other guy just soloed the rescue team from a couple/few arcs ago, I don't see how a top or near top tier like Laxus can go down that easily without leaving the majority of the core cast as effective as useless side characters in the coming battles (Unless they do a training arc/get powerups/find some silver weapons.)
Although "Demon Dragon Slayer Magic" has a nice ring to it, maybe Natsu can steal that.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

No, he does ice. Natsu can't eat ice. Unless it's creamed or shaved.

gently caress it. Lucy calls out Cancer, he cuts up the ice, Happy pulls out some flavoring he happens to have in his backpack, and Natsu eats the world's largest magic snow cone in order to power up. Fist of the Absolute Zero Fire Dragon.

I'm assuming at least one of them has some kind of fire attack, and they're all demons (Well, I guess that would leave out the Slayer part if they don't have one of those too, but Natsu already has the "Slayer" part in the name, he just needs the "Demon" part..)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

Man, I just realized how scarface survived last chapter. Probably used his memory magic to either make Jackal think he was already dead or not part of the council.

Now that you've said that it occurs to me that there's an easy out to un-murder the entire council at the end of this arc.
"Oh, did you think your memory of killing the council members was real? They were actually using your attack to fake their deaths so that you'd overlook their movements this whole time. Thanks for telling the rest of Tartaros they were dead, sucker!"

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So, who will step up to the plate to defeat him? I don't think either Wendy or Lucy ever punch anyone. Some of Lucy's summons are melee and oh god why do I feel like I'm picking party members for an RPG boss fight :cripes:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

This may have been talked about before, but what the hell was the point of brining back Mira and Elfman's sister if they were doing gently caress all with her?
I heard (From this forum I think) that that was editorial interference. Therefore Mashima never really had plans for her. Which is a shame, I had no idea about any of this when I originally watched the anime and kept waiting for wacky love triangle hijinks! (That only ever happened in Juvia's head. :downsgun:)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

attackbunny posted:

Chapter 363.

Elfman needs to try to kill Lisanna less.

Did the manga ever say how Lisanna "died"? I remember the anime showed it, but I don't remember the same scene from the anime of Elfman "killing" her being in the manga.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

And the OS is free. Keeping some of their old looks from the Anime arc.

You know, I thought Brain/Master Zero died in the explosion at the end of his arc. They even left him out of the Key of the Starry Sky arc, having a clone guy in his place, which really suggested to me the original was dead. But nope, he was alive and well the whole time, with Mashima or the editors seemingly shying away from actually killing off a character.. only to IMMEDIATELY KILL HIM OFF THE SECOND HE REAPPEARS.

I can only guess on the rationale being that it means it wasn't Natsu that "killed" him this way.

As for appearance, it looks like Midnight lost his long hair from the anime arc, and Racer changed back from his.. whatever that was. Why is Hoteye hanging out with baddies though? Oh I guess they're going to be Sort of Friends for this arc. Fresh influx of Jobbers for Tartaros! :v:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Simoom posted:

That's every villain. I don't really mind the fanservice or the dopey plotlines as much as others, but I really hate how there's never any tension whatsoever and villains are never, ever even remotely threatening.

Did you skip the Tenroujima arc? The part where they hit a snag when the extended main cast was wiped out in one shot?

Then there was also the foretold Day of Lavos in another 7 years, and how everybody died.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Problem is they died and Silver is a Demon.

Gray was a kid and made a faulty assumption, he didn't really die, and Gray is half-demon, problem solved.
*edit*
Looking back at the chapter Silver was introduced, I just realized he's in a snowy village (Probably not unlike where Gray was from) visiting a single grave.
(Is it obvious that I really hope the "Gray's Dad Theory" is right?)

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 9, 2014

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

Could Silver be Ur's husband? I honestly don't remember if we saw anything of him, but their daughter turned into a real class act under his care.

I think Ultear said he left her mother. It wasn't stated that he raised Ultear though. There was an anime original sequence that revealed it was Brain who was responsible for the experiments on Ultear, but who knows if that's canon. It was better than just "These magic institute people were just random lying assholes for no reason" though.
Still, that seems like a much weaker connection than Gray, especially in light of Silver's earrings being the same as Gray's necklace. And I'd think Natsu would have made the connection to Ultear before Gray if she were Silver's daughter, since he did recognize her via smell despite her completely changed appearance in the Tenroujima arc. I admit it could explain why Ultear had "too much" magical energy that necessitated medical care.
But if either Gray or Ultear were demons then the Galuna island "demons get their memories messed up" thing would create a plot hole. Unless it only affects full demons I guess.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Did they ever explain why Natsu and Wendy are over 80 years old and/or are statues?

Was Wendy ever confirmed as over 80 years old/statue, or is that just assumed because Natsu and Gajeel were? Sting and Rogue could be in theory too, if the connection is having trained under an actual dragon.

But no I don't think it was explained.

Monaghan posted:

I do like how Tartaros is actually being shown to be a credible threat, instead of being comprised by a bunch of mooks that just get steamrolled easily.

It's the complete opposite of Bleach at the moment. :v:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

New wild theory, Ice Demon guy is actually Future Grey.

It's not so wild given that we've already seen multiple instances of it. The "filthy/disgusting name" line makes more sense in the context of "Don't remind me of the old me" more than "I have a strong dislike of my son." But then the former is self-explanatory and straightforward whereas the latter requires additional exposition.

(I hope that's not the case though.)

If he smells the same as Grey, I think that puts down the Ultear's father theory though.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I saw a good point that shoots down the Future Gray theory. If it were Gray from the Future, he'd have known that Atlas wasn't a demon. And he'd have known who fixed that. He seemed to think Natsu took care of it.

Harry posted:

I'm guessing it's some shard of Grey's (or someone's) soul from when he fought that big demon and they merged or something.

You don't mean the one in the last arc, do you? Seems like Silver has been around for a while, especially if he's from Zeref's book of demons (Although if he's an artificially made one that gets past that inconvenience easily enough.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

KoB posted:

Not necessarily. He might not have been there originally, and him being in the past has changed the present.

But wouldn't that change his memor- okay that's getting a little too deep into paradox territory for me. My head hurts enough just thinking about Temporal Modification Negation Theory.

Fairy Tail 369
I am okay with this cop-out of making it so Jellal doesn't have to die. I am also okay with the incredibly obvious betrayal against the ex-chairman. This is because I was getting sick of that unwarranted smug smile of his. Natsu thoroughly punched his teeth out once already. Him being punched again wouldn't cut it.

Also though unlikely, Mashima could be setting up a Wrath of Khan first act fakeout to make everyone lower their guard. :tinfoil:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Chapter 370 (I'm afraid to provide a link because :filez:)

I love how often the main cast is wiped out in this. :v:

I also love how now even Natsu's one undisputed victory against Tartaros has been completely invalidated excepting as a personal temporary inconvenience to Jackal.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I don't think this is a full turnaround just yet (They did bring their borg cube there to destroy Fairy Tail.) In fact the three against one odds against Kyouka probably puts her at the advantage. Conservation of Ninjutsu and all that. Unless Natsu and Lisanna just leave and let Erza knock her around. Man I'm glad RPGs don't work this way.

And I think we all knew trying to turn Mira into a demon would never work.

I wonder what the "Heavenly Dragon" in the title referred to. Doesn't seem relevant yet.

I liked the reference to Shou, I guess Cana met him some time after the time skip?

Silver is starting to sound like a secret traitor. Letting Happy go, giving Lisanna something to wear, possibly giving Natsu a sword (A FIRE sword.) I hope this is not the case, I want my dramatic showdown vs. Gray, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Chapter 372

Huh, it looks like Kyouka is hardly even putting up a fight. I wonder if she's really going to be beaten that easily or if she can actually fight back. Weird.

So now Zeref has showed up and we haven't even seen E.N.D. yet aaaand now I have zero idea where this is going. Until that happened it almost looked like this arc was getting ready to wrap up and might even be done in time to include it in the new anime (Well, technically still possible.)

Each successive arc has been longer than the previous one though, hasn't it? The Grand Magic Games arc was pretty drat long for Fairy Tail, it'd be weird to finish this before it even reaches half of that length (And that's if we include the last tiny arc as being part of this one.)

• Locked thread