Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Robviously posted:

New Chapter

So Ultear isn't dead. Big surprise. :jerkbag: While I do like that the magic did age her, it does feel kind of cheap after feeling like we'd have an actually meaningful sacrifice for a change. Oh well, shonen manga, etc.

I dunno about that. I feel like instantly aging to 90 or however old is still a gigantic sacrifice and maybe a bit more interesting than just dying. It's not often that I'd praise Mashima's characterisation, but I think it rounds out her arc nicely. She essentially sacrificed her life as it was, but still got the opportunities to appreciate that what she did wasn't in vain and enjoy her redemption. Keep in mind that immediately after casting the spell, she thought the effect was so minimal that it was totally useless. I guess what I'm saying is that this isn't Berserk. It would feel really out of place if she died thinking her sacrifice was entirely in vain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I really loving hope that "eaten out" part was a lovely translation...

But I guess I know better. :smith:

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Off the top of my head, Yoshikage Kira from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Gambit from Marvel, The Human Bomb and Plastique from DC. It's still a cool power, though! :)

• Locked thread