Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
attackbunny
May 1, 2009
What are the chances that the 'favour' Gerard wanted is getting Cobra out of prison? We know he's still around because he was in the anime filler arc Mashima's canonised, and with him we've got seven dragonslayers versus seven dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Is that Cobra's prison uniform? Does the Magic Council outfit all its prisoners in snakeskin-patterned trousers and furry coats? "Oh man yeah make the tops of the sleeves all poofy like, that'll make them feel dead oppressed." Are the MC's prison inmates allowed to wear their own clothes? Does that mean that Gerard's prison getup not including a shirt was by personal choice? "Hey, Fernandes, you want to put a shirt on? Seriously we got loads you can have like eight." "No, I think I'll get more screen time if I'm providing fanservice."

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Seven dragons loving up the whole capital city? Yeah, this seems the most appropriate time to insert clothing disintegration magic.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Yeah, Frogue, I know how you feel.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

That would be because future Lucy knew exactly where she would land! :eng101:
Hang on. Flucy knows where to put the journal because she remembers landing in a particular place back when she was Lucy. But if Flucy hadn't taken that attack of Frogue's for her, Lucy might be dead, or things could have gone differently enough that she wouldn't land in that particular place. So that would have to mean that Flucy dying for Lucy is part of the timeline that lead up to her present where Frogue rules everything. So if Flucy came back knowing what she was going to do from Lucy's perspective, then that means that everything Flucy did or Lucy is going to do isn't going to prevent Flucy's timeline.

There's got to be something I'm missing, right?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

Am I reading this right? Is that dragon named "Scissor Runner"? That's...not very intimidating.
Scissor Runner is a great king among the dragons and I wouldn't recommend that you mock his name, unless you want his mates Glue Eater and Cone Licker to kick the poo poo out of you.

I can't believe Gray took a bullet for Juvia. (And then about a dozen more.) What a loving numpty.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

It wasn't clear before if they would hit the reset button or work with the consequences of what has happened in this arc. Now it is. Mashima couldn't even leave Lisanna alone, and her being dead was the only point her character ever had. Anyone who thinks that Gray is staying dead is more than a little dim.
I've heard that Lisanna's resurrection was due to meddling from the editor. Does anyone know if that's right?

But Mashima has had a lot of trouble with one particular character not staying dead, despite the guy being stabbed, firepunched, broken down into constituent atoms and shot into the sky, and I don't see him being any less attached to Gray. The guy could easily just wake up in the hospital tomorrow covered in bandages.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Is Zeref just flipping a coin to decide his morality or what?

Deciding that people are vile and must all be annihilated after an arc that just ended with everyone hugging and becoming BFFs forever does not make a lick of sense. Ninety percent of Fairy Tail villains are redeemed and all emotional problems are solved immediately with yelling. This is a very optimistic manga.

This arc is going to end with Zeref getting hugged into submission. Natsu can hug with one arm and punch with the other.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Nahxela posted:

I'm expecting the Door of Tartarus to be another door filled with dragons.
Maybe it's just totally literal. All the Tartaros people live in a place, and now they're opening the door of said place so they can walk out of it. Climbing out of the window would be undignified.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some Information was just revealed in a in a Q&A some info about Yukino was interesting. A cult of Zeref worshipers killed her parents and kidnapped her older sister Sorano bringing her to the Tower of Heaven Who do we know that looks a lot like Yukino and was a slave in the Tower of Heaven.

That's not new information. It was in chapter 303. Everyone immediately said, Oh, it's Angel. In fact, so many people immediately said Oh, it's Angel, that I half suspect her sister will turn out to be Millianna.

You can hardly be blamed for forgetting it, though, considering it hasn't been remotely relevant. Not even when Angel's old teammate showed up. I'd guess it'll be a plot point in the Tartaros arc and Yukino can give Angel a get-out-of-evil-free card.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Oh, her again. That's okay, she didn't get thrashed hard enough last time.

Placing my bet now that Natsu eats the frozen fire, gets brain freeze, lies groaning on the floor until someone says something about nakama, and then jumps back up and fireblasts everything unfrozen.

ETA: comma

attackbunny fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 11, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Fairy Tail destroys property, torches official warnings, hugs jellals and is generally a cult of powerful wizards fanatically loyal to an extremely powerful, albeit miniature, anarchist. "Who cares what the council says? Do what you think is right! That's the way of Fairy Tail wizards!"

Man, why would the Council not hate them? Every time they save the world they just get cockier and gain more public support.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Chapter 344

Oh a magic that reverses aging. Fancy that.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Wait. Rogue's actual name is Rogue? He nicknamed himself Ryos?

I think I know what's going on here. Minerva's buddy Piranha Scarf is turning everyone into kids. Somehow, the kids will acquire candy. Then, Minerva will steal the candy from them.

That or Minerva is just gonna gank everybody's cats like usual. She's already molested Happy, but she still needs Charle and Loke for her collection of traumatised felines.

More to the point, that's a neat scarf.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

JustLeo posted:

I'm hoping the eternal flame turns out to be Atlas for shits and giggles. Natsu should ride him around everywhere and replenish fire whenever he needs to. It's a voice that's familiar to him so I have a sliver of faith.
That could actually be a thing. Atlas never went forward in time after the gate was smashed, so he must have been doing something for the last four hundred years. Hanging with giants, why not?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Wow, Minerva's pathetic.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Really? Seems to be the intelligent thing to do to me. Can't beat someone head on? Then just beat them using different tactics rather than keep trying the same old thing or suddenly powering her up by some deus ex machina.
Minerva isn't really using tactics here.

If she had lured Erza into an elaborate deathtrap, using a lifesize cardboard cutout of Jellal as the bait, that would at least be something. If she had constructed a diabolical plot to use Erza's weaknesses against her (again, lifesize cardboard Jellal cutout) that would be fine. Lucking into an old enemy while they're crippled and deciding to beat the poo poo out of them is hardly a clever stratagem. Imagine if you had a grudge against someone and your buddy coincidentally smashed both their kneecaps, and then you found them lying on the ground and declared "Time for a rematch! This is gonna be a fight to the death!" Then flick your hair around and announce that you only grace the mightiest guilds with your presence.

It's completely trashy. Pragmatic, maybe, but still trashy.

Though, it's not exactly like we need to spoiler that
the only way Minerva could be a shittier person if she was literally gargling with diarrhoea.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Except that it's pretty clear that Minerva didn't luck in to this - she's in the same guild as, and personally partnered with the Troll looking guy in the teeth bandana. Even if they didn't specifically go there to fight Fairy Tail it's pretty clear she got her partner to target and regress Erza so she could fight her once she was weakened. There's no real luck involved, and at least some element of strategy.
Good point. Let's just agree that Minerva's an honourless douchestick.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
If Gray lost his pants now, he wouldn't have anything to dramatically throw off later.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
I thought it might be less clunky in Japanese. Akai Tsuki ni utau Ginyūshijin. Not really. "Oh no, it's the Titania!" "Oh no, it's the Iron Dragon!" "Oh no, it's the Minstrel Who Sings At The Red Moon!" Maybe it's a trick. Maybe he's trying to gain some sort of tactical advantage by making people gasp his unnecessarily long name. Where do you get a name like that, anyway? Is The Red Moon the bar where he does kareoke?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
What if Gajeel sang a song about how Minerva is a very unpleasant person?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Zogundar posted:

Aren't his parents dead? If his dad was such a bigshot, wouldn't he have killed Deliora without trying? Or not, I'm not sure where Deliora fits in the hierarchy of things since Iced Shell sounds like it's capable of beating anyone that's not at the very top of the food chain (If we assume Hades would have been beaten by it as Ultear claimed.) Also I suppose that was what, 14 years ago now? Maybe when the series started he hadn't gotten that big promotion to the guild's Ginyu Squad.
That would be a fun twist though.

Maybe he learned magic to slay demons because he thought his brat kid got eaten by one? Before that he was like an embroidery mage.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
ETA: Chapter link for new page.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

New Chapter. Things took a dramatic shift. :stare:

And then Juvia. :catstare:

So the entire council just got kasploded by a catboy (a catboy named after a canid). That was unexpected.

Did Lahar die as well? Oh, man, Doranbolt, you shouldn't have talked about what a great future he had ahead of him. You brought these dead friends on yourself.

Does this chapter increase or decrease the chances that Silver is Gray Senior?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

chumbler posted:

I think Lahar was actually a woman, if I'm remembering the magic tournament arc correctly. I was kind of surprised she would be killed off like that, since I kind of expected she'd become more significant after that. Oh well, female character in Fairy Tail not named Erza, I guess.

Do you mean Yukino? She was the summoner from Sabretooth who joined Fiore's military. Lahar is the Council minion who showed up to take Gerard away at the end of the Oracion Seis arc while the tattooed rear end in a top hat was trying to have a moment with Erza. I've had a soft spot for him ever since.

It's an understandable mixup though because Lahar was super girly.

Gyges posted:

This would have more impact if they weren't such dicks 99% of the time. I know they killed the one "good" council member in person, but given the rest of the council I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't actually the head of Tartarus.

Severely decreases, with an odd probability distribution that means if he is then Gray immediately gets a power up.

My completely uninformed guess is: The demon killed Gray's father and took his skin for his human form.

Oh, good idea. Then here's mine: The demon and Gray's father fused, creating this new jackass, but there's still an option for Gray's dad to be saved or sacrifice himself heroically.

Also betting on redemption for that one demon girl who's still pretty.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

I'm betting on redemption for Tempesta instead, because that one demon that hosed around with Minerva is already in a story arc about redemption so I don't think she'll turn too. The villain whose actions cause your other villain to turn good turning good herself would seem a bit lazy even for Mashima. Tempesta is the one Tartarus member we haven't seen yet (I think), and I doubt there's only going to be one hot, busty chick in the guild, so I'm assuming she'll be the one to turn instead. Along with Silver, because he's smiling and being a bit to moderate to do otherwise, and no-one of even the remotest consequence dies in this manga.

Wait, I'm confused. I'm going to read the chapter again.

Okay, I figured it out.

http://i.imgur.com/kMWTg7m.png

The one with the giant butt who talked to Minerva is called Kyouka. She's not the one I thought would get a redemption for being pretty, because she has a stupid-looking head. I was talking about the girl behind her, the largely normal-looking one with only horns and a forehead marking. (She can't be Tempesta, though, because Kyouka said Tempesta and the catboy inexplicably named after a dog weren't there.)

Kyouka's definitely going to be dispensing redemption tokens rather than winning any.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Taratang posted:

I think it's just semantics, e.g. Dragon magic is referred to as Dragon Slayer magic when used by humans. Referring to it as Demon Slayer magic was just the (faulty) assumption that the user was human.

Maybe a Demon Slayer is a demon using magic that's a bit slay-ish, as opposed to someone with magic designed to slay demons?

quote:

All the members were borderline suicidal in the arc each have sacrificed something to obtain greater power (Midnight excluded).
I think Midnight gave up a future where he met Brain again. I'm not sure how he did that. Like, is this a mystical fate thing, or did he just sign a binding legal contract never to go visit him? Who exactly is brokering these deals?

I've been rereading the Fighting Festival arc, and is there any explanation for how Luxus knew Mystogan's secret identity? Because I don't remember it, and the only thing I can think of is that Luxus watches people in the bath, and that creeps me out.

That's a stupid question, isn't it? Nobody knows, and that includes Mashima.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Laxus was hiding in the shop opposite until the absolute optimum moment for a dramatic re-entrance.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Chapter 359

The most important revelation in this chapter is that Hibiki has spent the last seven years working on making his magical computer more effective, but that he's still somehow Fiore's most eligible bachelor. Mashima clearly knows his dorky shut-in audience.

I'm betting that that any demonic transmogrification Minerva goes through will miraculously not affect her breasts or rear end.

ETA: hang on what kind of hosed up poo poo are the Dutch into

attackbunny fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 8, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

Tulipomania rears its head once again, and Fairy Tail is our only hope.
If they thought 'tulip fire' was a problem before, they're in for a big surprise.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
I'm betting that Natsu ate his own explosion and then had to lie down for a second to digest the almighty powerup. Lucy and Wendy will try, suck, fail, and get rescued in quick succession.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Fairy Tail Chapter 361

http://i.imgur.com/McRKCp1.png

attackbunny posted:

I'm betting that Natsu ate his own explosion and then had to lie down for a second to digest the almighty powerup. Lucy and Wendy will try, suck, fail, and get rescued in quick succession.
I don't think I've ever been so bummed out to be right.

I do like the prospect of Jackal and Natsu both getting baked, though. gently caress all these explosions, man, who even wants to be dealing with that poo poo? You got any Doritos?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

Unfortunately for Tartarus, Fairy Tail mages have "Because Mashima said so", a power that trumps anything.
The moral of the story is that friendship is the greatest bullshit of them all.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Seriously, the cat got a moment to be competent before Lucy did?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Chapter 363.

Elfman needs to try to kill Lisanna less.

Face sounds like a pretty cool weapon, but only because I'm holding out hope for Tartarus to fire it off, successfully wipe out all magic on the continent and then get mowed down by some nonmages with Kalashnikovs.

Also, that the Council's other weapons are called Hannibal, Murdock and B.A.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
That just doesn't make sense. The council wants Jellal dead. That would be why they tried to execute him. Why make somebody you want to kill into one of the people you really need alive? There is nothing on earth, Earthland or Edolas that can make that make sense.

Also, gently caress's sake, Mashima, torture fanservice? "Well, in this scene Erza's being brutally beaten and threatened with the death of a loved one, better put bouncing titties everywhere."

attackbunny fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 28, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Good points. I suppose even considering Siegrain was an obnoxious little poo poo, the council would have expected him to survive for a good long while.

I suspect that Tartarus will successfully kill Jellal, in that his heart'll stop beating and the seal on Face will be broken, but then Laxus and the Raijinshuu will make their dramatic re-entrance, Laxus'll defibrillate Jellal and he'll come back to life. Even though that isn't how defibrillators work. Because magic. That way, the stakes still get to be as high as they can be but Mashima doesn't have to kill off one of his favourites.

Or he'll just deploy the eighteenth replacement Jellal from the secret Jellalquarium in his basement, whatever.

Simoom posted:

his best attempt at strong female protagonist naked and shackled and being whipped after her "body is more sensitive", that's me done
Yeah, Mashima's had male characters get tortured before and they've always been allowed to keep their pants on.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Seems weird that Silver would call Gray's name disgusting if he's his father. Maybe Gray's mum picked it. It works if Silver is a demon wearing Gray's dad's skin (or Gray's dad thoroughly demonised and really screwy in the head) but then the theory also argues that Silver was visiting his dead family's grave in his first appearance and that'd imply a kind of familial sentiment.

Maybe Silver thinks Gray is somehow responsible for his mum's death?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Huh. Didn't expect Jellal to die that quick.

Not that I believe he'll be staying dead.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
What? Okay. Erza got out of the same spell of Midnight's in the Seis arc because she has one artificial eye, and the artificial eye wasn't affected in the same way, allowing her to see what was actually going on. Gerard just got out of the spell by... blinding himself? Destroying his own eyes? What? That doesn't enable him to see through illusions, it stops him from seeing at all! The only similarity between their two plans is that both of the nouns involved are 'eye'!

Also, what the Christing gently caress did that smug rear end in a top hat think would happen? Turning yourself into one of the people your evil allies want dead is a lovely, lovely plan even when said evil allies aren't demons with a total disregard for human life. The only way he could have had a worse plan is if instead he'd mutilated himself, blown up everything in a mile radius with celestial fire, and then grabbed the haggard survivors and screamed into their faces about friendship and teamwork while blood dripped from the ruin of his eye sockets.

I'm thinking the Seis will surrender, if only because they've suddenly realised that Gerard is the author's favourite character. His eyes will probably have spontaneously grown back by next chapter.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Evil Natsu Dragneel? Plot twist, Igneel couldn't kill END because he was just so adorbs with his little baby face and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Well thank God Natsu showed up right then, Lucy almost had to do something.

I think it has to be someone they quite like, from their expressions. I'm thinking either Gildarts, because he's been conspicuous by his absence, or Gerard, because Gerard.

• Locked thread