Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I can think of a couple characters that would be on the chopping block. Laxus, Gildarts, Mirajane, Lyon, Sting, Rogue, and Jellal all spring to mind as important enough to make an impact but disposable enough to not cause too drastic of a stir. Like there's no way Erza or Lucy are biting it. Gray possibly, but I highly doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Maybe he should cut down on his flagrant 'opportunities.'

gently caress that. More tits and abs. Mashima has only begun to explore the limits of his fanservice potential and I want to see him hit the limit and blast past it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kagura's brother, also.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

When I first started reading the manga after the anime went on hiatus I was a little confused as to why people were so dismissive and forgetful of previous events in FT. Ever since I made the switch I've kind of figured out why that was. The anime made things way more memorable to me, the soundtrack and seeing fights in motion were probably the main things. But yeah once the Grand Magic Games arc ended I've only had hazy recollections of stuff.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

4th Origin is achieved by consuming Jellal's blood.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

Someone remind me who the hell she is? I swear she came out of nowhere and somehow has wind power?

She's a Sky God Slayer from Lamia Scale, the guild Jura and Lyon are part of. She's the younger sister of the girl Lucy fought in like the second story arc. Wendy fought her in the Grand Magic Games.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

How do you remember this stuff? I've actually read Fairy Tail like twice through and my brain absolutely refuses to retain like 80% of it.

Watching the anime helped I guess. Made stuff more memorable when it had sick Celtic rock jams happening in the background.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gildarts is too much of a lovable dad to ever be that kind of character. Even before it was revealed that he was an ACTUAL dad.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Elfgames posted:

laxus is dumb and he doesn't have a cat

Laxus doesn't need a cat, he has Freed. Plus those other two nerds.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mashima really needs to just draw a bunch of actual hentai doujins and get it out of his system.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Sorano, the girl who randomly showed up at the end of last chapter, was formerly Angel of Oracion Seis, the guild with Cobra and Racer and all those weirdos. She was a summoner who fought Lucy. At some point she and the others were busted out of magic jail by Jellal and joined his guild I guess? The younger sister is Yukino, from Sabertooth. She was the one in the Grand Magic Games they kicked out of the guild for losing and then it was revealed she was a double agent working for the kingdom that arc took place in. She joined back up after Sting took over. I remember most of this only because I watched the first run of the anime, which ended about 2/3 through the Grand Magic Games, so I guess that made it stick in my memory better. Also I liked the Oracion Seis arc quite a bit so that helps I guess.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Do you know all those fights we have seen until now? They were for nothing.

Yeah but this is way cooler so I'm fine with it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand how its supposed to be plausible that Gray's power-up is anywhere near good enough for him to take on Natsu in E.N.D. form.

He has the Demonbane passive skill right now, so presumably despite the power gap he can still do some damage.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'm all about it. That was amazing. loving masterpiece.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

i was going to make a joke about how people weirded out by erza's dad being a dragon shouldn't kinkshame but then i noticed the title of the chapter was "The Dragon Seed" and that somehow makes it way grosser

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Jesus that was stupid.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before the numerous times she's used it, but I wonder. Do Erza's breast bindings also have some kind of magic enchantment? Or did she just find a really neat sword and a swell pair of pants and figured she'd call it a day with those?

The original idea was she wore all kinds of armors to protect herself (because of her emotional insecurity, or whatever the gently caress) which would slow her down and that outfit was meant to either increase or simply not impair her speed. How or why it seemingly makes her stronger in basically every fight after it was introduced is as much a mystery to you as it is to me.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

I feel that it's pretty racist that we have dragon slayers and demon slayers but no dedicated human slayers in this manga.

sounds like the makings of a bad deviantart fairy tail OC

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Acnologia is cool as a random level 99 superboss roaming around the world who occasionally drops in and fucks everything up super hard for both sides. I really really hope he doesn't get more than a few pages worth of backstory, and exactly 0 of it should involve crying about a dead friend/family member.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Yeah I'm not getting it either.

goons

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

It's still pretty amazing how pretty much every character introduced in FMA contributed meaningfully to the resolution of the story. None of the characters were really forgotten about or a waste of time.

Considering the rather large cast, that's pretty goddamn amazing. Half of the cast of FT will be forgotten at best.

The first time I watched through Brotherhood it was kind of shocking to me how the 4 Chimeras all continued to help and actually survived to the end. In a more predictable story they would've been introduced for the sole purpose of getting merc'd by the bad guys so they could keep up a body count as the series progressed.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

HxH's method of handling this sort of thing by having your emotional state and the intensity of your emotions actually play into how strong your Nen is is actually pretty smart. There's been plenty of instances in shonen where the hero gets angry or high on friendship or whatever and they get a power boost from it that makes no sense. However if you actually think to just straight up write that into the powerset of your universe, moments like Gon vs Pitou don't feel like a deus ex machina or trying to write yourself out of a corner. Fairy Tail has had moments like this too, like Natsu eating Laxus's lightning or Zancrow's God Slayer fire back on Tenrou Island. It just seems like Mashima doesn't feel the need to do clever things like that very often, because punching, friendship, tits, and dragons are enough to get by.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

Gonna get some of the most overt Deus Ex Machina bullshit ever pretty soon.

Also Zeref is literally Aizen now.

As much as I love a good "I'm evil because why not! gently caress it, right?" villain, Aizen was most definitely not that, so Zeref wins based on having Literally Any Motivation Or Backstory.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think Fairy Tail is as bad as most people but it has many many enormous flaws and the second I switched from watching the anime to reading the manga my ability to remember what happened absolutely tanked so that bit is definitely accurate, at least in relation to the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I'm still not sure what Acnologia's deal was.

Mostly he was just an rear end in a top hat, I think.

• Locked thread