Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

Depends upon which generalized concept of time travel you're working with. Paradoxical actions are however quite common in most time travel conceptions and effects without the cause they stem from are not at all outside the "rules".

Diverging from the past future Lucy's time flow will just create another alternate reality to give us a third Gerard or whatever the hell his name is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm kind of hoping that, much as I like Gray, he will stay dead and this will be a chance for Juvia to develop into more than just a running gag. But I know that's not what's going to happen and Ultear is just going to die to revive gray and we go back to the status quo minus one powerful female character. Not even Lucy and Erza ever get to develop as characters, and they are in the main team.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 8, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/340/7

Who is the black-haired girl on the left in the top panel? I keep seeing her in the various guild spreads, but I can't for the life of me remember who she is or if she was ever even introduced. She looks pretty generic, but that somehow makes her stand out in this series and it annoys me that I have no idea who she is or what she does. I at least vaguely recall everyone else in that spread.

Edit: vvvv Thanks, that would explain why I have no idea who she is. That's certainly uhhh... a back story.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 6, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zogundar posted:

I didn't realize either until you pointed it out, I can't go back can I? :(

I didn't realize Doranbolt (I assume it's him) was.. you know.. like that though. When was that ever mentioned? Is it because he had some interaction with Wendy? Then again, if I didn't pick up on this..

I see my other theory was destroyed. I am sad.

I am pretty sure that is not how Doranbolt actually is, but rather just how Erza thinks he is. But this confusion does demonstrate how much better this series would be without Wendy. Then Doranbolt could just be a cool dude rather than being marred by this. I vote we all go with the "Sick burn!" theory anyway.

Monaghan posted:

happy shows how much he sucks yet again.

I think you meant "is completely awesome" instead of "sucks."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Something something Lucy, Zodiac magic, summon a colossal pair of tits that just suffocates Acnologia. The Mashima-est ending.

Clearly Lucy will learn Makrov's giant magic expressly for that purpose and become guild master in the epilogue. Also you forgot Geraldo's noble sacrifice and Erza's clothes exploding, possibly several times.

But really it will just be Natsu wins for no reason and Geraldo sacrifices himself but doesn't die somehow because he's such a great, useful, and meaningful character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most of the characters are not actually under age.

I think we can all agree that the series would be better if Wendy and Charle had simply never existed. They both somehow manage to be worse characters than even Jellal and everything associated with them is awful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe I've just become desensitized to it over time, but I didn't find this chapter particularly bad, and honestly the design of the new evil character (which is to say, generic female Fairy Tail body type, wearing a thong because why not I guess) last chapter annoyed me more than the entirety of this one. I mean yeah, it's a crappy hot springs episode, but it didn't dwell on the crappy hot springs episode jokes apart from the few in the beginning. Also broccoli guy is pretty great. God drat it why am I trying to defend this? At any rate it's still not as bad as Kenichi has gotten, not that that's saying much.

It is a shame Juvia wasn't there to get herself some manservice though, but it's a shame she isn't part of the team to begin with.

Nahxela posted:

The ending was pretty great, though. That expression on Natsu's face was wonderful.

Also this. Erza beating the poo poo out of Natsu for doing something dumb never gets old.

Edit: I also just noticed Gray's very self-aware comment, though I'm not sure whether it's actually self-awareness or mere coincidence. And I'm starting to wonder who hasn't been a founding member of the guild at this point, though I guess it explains why they haven't been shut down yet.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 10, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

attackbunny posted:

ETA: Chapter link for new page.

So the entire council just got kasploded by a catboy (a catboy named after a canid). That was unexpected.

Did Lahar die as well? Oh, man, Doranbolt, you shouldn't have talked about what a great future he had ahead of him. You brought these dead friends on yourself.

Does this chapter increase or decrease the chances that Silver is Gray Senior?

I think Lahar was actually a woman, if I'm remembering the magic tournament arc correctly. I was kind of surprised she would be killed off like that, since I kind of expected she'd become more significant after that. Oh well, female character in Fairy Tail not named Erza, I guess.

Juvia remains the best character. Why is she not allowed to be in the main team again?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I think the mileage for Everyone is Gerard jokes has been well and truly spent.

Not until the manga itself makes a joke about it a la the "Yeah you being naked isn't anything new. It's lost its appeal, really" joke recently. Then we will have reached peak Everyone is Gerard joke.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just hope that other characters get some time to be in the spotlight or even arc-ending heroes this time since Erza and Natsu are at least currently out of commission. Granted Gray is should have a prominent role here, but I hope he doesn't get sidelined once that's done. And that Lucy and Juvia get to do things other than end up naked and shove their boobs into stuff. Natsu is great and all, but having him end every arc's big fight got old a while ago.

Also now everybody is stealing Gray's gag of getting naked for no reason and that just doesn't sit right.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Jesus, for being a more-titties-less-story One Piece, Fairy Tail is becoming insanely big. Is it that popular in Japan?

I want to say it gets by on the strength of the characters, but I honestly can't even agree with that that much. Natsu is bland as hell, and while I like Lucy, Juvia, and Gray they get constantly sidelined. That pretty much just leaves Erza to carry the series, which she ably does. Maybe it's conditioning or desensitization, but Erza has been shown to be weird and kind of a little dumb enough that I'm okay with her choices of outfits, exploitative as they may be. That said, I don't think we've really had a strong arc in a while, probably not since the guild vs. guild fight way early on. A few decent moments, sure, but basically everything after Wendy's introduction has been kind of lame.

But seriously, Mashima, let Lucy, Gray, and Juvia actually do something for once?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 1, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That chapter was a good reminder of why Lucy is one of my favorite characters. In a series full of meatheads who solve things by punching/icing/swording harder, she is actually the smart one and wins by figuring things out (or Lucy kicking), and despite not being particularly strong and knowing it, she is always right on the front lines. She's basically a mix of Usopp, Nami, and Robin.

Unfortunately it was also a reminder of what her primary purpose is most of the time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I look forward to Lucy finally getting to do something cool on her own. And by do something cool on her own I of course mean immediately find soeone else and then they do everything, because Lucy is never allowed to do something cool on her own :(. Best we can hope for is that the other person will at least be Juvia or Kana,the other two chronically neglected prominent characters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is it too much to hope that summoning three spirits means Lucy will transcend her limits as a proper shounen hero does and join Usopp in godhood?

(Deep down I know it is. She's probably just going to transcend her clothes and she somehow be rescued by Natsu for no apparent reason :(.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Comic posted:

If they don't at least pretend there's risk, nothing will be badass.

Onepunch Man begs to differ.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

What a shame he faces the semi-main antagonist, meaning he will likely job out.

Not in the sense of getting wrecked by him, but yeah he's going to job out so Natsu can win. It'll probably go down one of two ways: 1) spirit king mops the floor with Hades, but Lucy runs out of juice right as he's about to land the final blow and he desummons. Hades consumes the other demons except Minerva and regenerates. Then Natsu fights him. 2) Silver ices the spirit king and maybe also Hades to show that he's the real threat. Then Natsu fights him.

The chapter also begs the still unanswered question of how the gold keys work. There were only ever 12 of them, so they apparently can't be copied like the lesser keys can, but can they be remade? Does another one simply appear somewhere in the world when the previous one breaks? And if there are only 12 of the keys that are actually worth a drat, why would anyone even bother to become a celestial spirit mage?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope this means that from now on rather than having to summon the spirits she'll be able to just channel them and use their power herself.

Mainly I just want super Lucy with the spirit king's power at some point.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Can we please go back to Lucy and Erza being awesome rather than the rest of these boring idiots?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For all his other faults, I will say that Mashima can draw some rad as hell dragons. Also I'm 9 years old.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

That was the dumbest "Erza wins, lol" moment so far, and that's saying a lot.

Hey, she may not be able to punch people with fire, but punching people while wearing pants with a fire pattern is close enough. Also her super power for practically the entire series has pretty much been "Erza outright refuses to die, and her opponents cannot deal with this fact."

vvvv Also yes, Erza rules.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 7, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

What's the deal with Ezra love? She's utterly boring character. All of the retarded bullshit side (FOR FRIENDSHIP!!) that is, at least Natsu has cool fire and a loving dragon inside of him. I really like Jubia (Juvia?), she's been thrown to the side though :( Her fight against Gray was actually really cool.

Annnnnnnnnnyway, I want Natsu fight. Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn don't let up, no for friendship moment just kickass till he drops.

Erza is the only female character who ever really gets to do anything of note by herself. That's largely why people like her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fanservice gripes aside, Mashima does not disappoint when it comes to drawing some loving rad dragons.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Avulsion posted:

And Acnologia will be a member of Fairy Tail within 100 chapters. FRIENDSHIP.

I'd be totally okay with them gaining a rad dragon buddy.

Except it will turn out that Acnologia reverts to human form and is a lady with big boobs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is clearly time for guild master Lucy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Didn't Gajeel's last powerup have him do steel based moves instead of iron? I could easily see diamond happening.

I took it as refusing to acknowledge the omake's existance. :shrug:

The steel thing was from absorbing carbon. He's not going to somehow lose all of his iron, and it would be really dumb if he did.

Also Lucy owns and it would have been nice to have had a few more chapters with her on her own before Natsu showed back up to hog the spotlight.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wendy and Carla are terrible, pointless characters, so this sounds entirely true to their natures.

FT was at its best when it was basically just Lucy, Erza, Natsu, and Gray going out on adventures, and I was hoping this arc would go back to that. Sadly they had to pick up the worst characters first.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 16, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

pinegala posted:

Erza hasn't changed as a character since Jellal was revealed
Lucy has all these supposed power-ups and developments, but turns into a sad sack as soon as Natsu pops up or disappears. She'll pull these big sacrifices for plot, but they're inconsequential when they just get written over in the next arc. See drunk girl

Maybe Erza's arc will be about her finally moving on from Gerald. Also if this whole thing isn't a lead up to Lucy being the new guild master I'll be disappointed.

I am prepared to be disappointed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Laxus was probably my favorite villain, personally. If we're specifically talking about the bossman leader types, that is.

That was probably one of the best arcs, really. High density of great Erza moments, to boot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will accept this if it means we can finally ditch Wendy and Charle, though I know that won't actually happen. At least Lucy actually has a new powerup I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

It would've been better if the Regulus Lucy kick wasn't just used for a quick joke in one panel. Mashima should've made it an Inazuma kick shout-out or something.

I will thank you not to denigrate the upgraded form of The Most Powerful Attack.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Nobody is safe from filler: “FAIRY TAIL of the DEAD MEEEEEEEEEN” is going to be released 3/25 for the manga and 3/28 for the anime.

I can only assume that it will be about Zombie Ichiya turning Blue Pegasus into a zombie horde.

That actually sounds kind of incredible and Ichiya owns.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jaweeeblop posted:

Carla and Wendy are going to need new clothes due to strategic battle damage at least 3 times before fairy tail is reformed. Lucy will need 5 times.

Pretty sure you're off by a good factor of 3 or so for Lucy. Hell, there's probably a 90% chance the rain will melt her clothes at least once. All those clothes, lost in time, like tears in the rain.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Reiche posted:

If he gives into Juvia and his own feelings, how will he ever surpass Natsu?! That guy is a big meathead whose definition of love is all his guildmates

Seriously Natsu, your childhood crush who you thought was dead has been back for a while now. Get you some Lisanna.

Like Mashima is ever going to sink any of the various fan pairings for his main character or the other major popular ones (at least I'm pretty sure Natsu, Erza, and Lucy are top three in the polls. Maybe Ichiya beat them once.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know, with all this melodrama I'm hoping Erza's storyline is something completely silly and stupid, like she gambled her way into debt and is working it off in a cake factory, but never makes a cent because she keeps messing up "I Love Lucy" style.

Really just anything that has nothing at all to do with Jellal.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I honestly hope that it actually is the case that a dumbass cat in a frog suit is the lynchpin of history. That kind of thing and Minerva being proud of winning the eating contest are the dumb little things I like about Fairy Tail and that have been missing lately.

Also Lucy's capacity for forgiveness is apparently infinite.

Edit: I can't remember, what is Minerva's magic again? And is she still part demon?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 24, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Whenever they beat Zeref or decurse him or wahtever (taking bets on the curse itself being a big evil bigbad that replaces its "vessel") they'll forgive him despite the fact hes apparently a walking genocide machine

Well you see it's not like he wanted to be a walking genocide machine. Also peak forgiveness creep will probably be Natsu forgiving Acnologia after he beats it and it turns into a busty anime girl.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's not like there was really a whole lot of council left.

Also I want everyone in Avatar to actually be a spy and not actually evil except for Gray.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Simoom posted:

good to see Lucy is still 100% useless

She's going to be the new guild master and I refuse to believe otherwise even after it ends up being Natsu.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mulderman posted:

That's a surprising amount of restraint on Lucy's cow outfit.

Mashima made up for it I guess by literally designing cleavage on Erza's armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I just want Gajeel to show up. I'm glad there's no stupid angsty bullshit going on (still a poo poo thing to do to Juvia though) but bringing in the main 4 just means less screentime for the banjo-strumming metal dandy.

"Doing poo poo things to Juvia" seems to be Gray's hobby.

• Locked thread