Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Two new chapters today, which is surprising since isn't it golden week? Lucy actually does something! I'm a bit disappointed that her new attack isn't some form of Lucy Kick, though she does have the Lucy Punch now. Also a bit disappointed that Braiya is going to disappear forever like all mooks, since I like her design and power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Simoom posted:

yeah a much needed power upgrade stopped dead in its tracks by almost making GBS threads herself and thats not in any way hyperbole re: what happened.

what a great character.

Hey sometimes you gotta take what you can get. Also I like her hairstyle in the Taurus outfit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Now that I think about it, isn't Braiya only like the second character with darker skin in the entire series?

Also you're probably right about why she has clone magic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

eh I'm fine with power creeps as long as all the characters stay relevant.

I have some bad news for you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Simoom posted:

i guess his editors made him hurry up with what has been a filler arc through and through

No kidding. This arc accomplished precisely nothing, and I am going to be mad when Natsu is inevitably going to be named guild master next chapter because that's how shounen works.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm putting my money on Lucy, even though it'd make no sense for the Guild Master to be out trolling around on silly jobs with the rest of the guild just because the manga has been leaning hard on it since time timeskip what with everyone coming when she called and what not. If it's not one of the regular cast then it'll probably be Laxus just because he was mentioned wanting it before and Mashima isn't exactly great at setting things up properly.

Yeah, everything's been leaning hard toward Lucy being the heart of the guild now, and her becoming the new guild master would be a nice thing.

So we should all prepare to welcome new guild master Natsu, because this is the Natsu show about Natsu, where Natsu is the most important character who solves everything. Yes I'm a bit salty.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd be less annoyed if arcs would be resolved by literally anyone other than Natsu sometimes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

My favorite part of that was that he has a teddy in his bag for some reason.

Yea, you could see Natsu coming a mile away, but it was nice that not only Erza and Gray joined in, but even Lucy. One of the best parts of Fairy Tail, as someone mentioned here before, is realizing that even the straight men are crazy as gently caress in most cases and seeing them get their moments. Erza being the biggest and most obvious case. Even here, we have Mest looking shocked that everyone else just flipped out, but a few chapters ago he was under self-hypnosis to forget he was a member of Fairy Tail and thinking about putting himself under self-hypnosis to forget he was a member of the council to infiltrate Fairy Tail - which is a lovely little bit of mind-bending humor.

The one thing that does annoy me is that all Dragon-slayers now apparently get travel sick, not just Natsu. I know it's been the case with a while, but it just feels so lazy. Even for Mashima, who is at least usually good at making his characters quirky.

The best chapters are when Mashima remembers that Erza is supposed to be an idiot, like the Ichiya apocalypse chapter.

The only real straight man is Lucy, and I too was glad to see the return of the Lucy kick.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Odds that Erza and Lucy are naked in the pocket dimension?

That wasn't actually a question, we all know it's 100%.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

On the plus side, Ichiya.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

When Zeref dies Jellal will become the new Zeref because there must always be a Zeref.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Avulsion posted:

Laxus single handedly beat the poo poo out of his dad and his dad's entire guild. There's more to it than genetics.

Probably the fact that it was one of the legit coolest bits in the series, along with Erza's smug soloing of the monster challenge. The magic tournament was pretty mediocre overall, but it did have its high spots.

Power levels should always take a back seat to cool.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 12, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Note that clothes aren't on this list. There is a reason for that.

Granted, but I'll give at least a little credit for most characters who aren't Natsu generally having some variety in what they're wearing, however briefly that may be for some characters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Luxus' rebellion and parts of the magic tournament were I think the best arcs. Also my biggest problem with FT is the usual shounen problem where it's almost always Natsu who resolves things and who is also the least interesting character. He's certainly no Luffy as a shounen MC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nothing could make Natsu an interesting character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have to wonder why there is no Fairy Tail Warriors game yet. Though really that could be said of all shounen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has every arc since the magic tournament had a lady who is really into Lucy? Girl is apparently a chick magnet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

taking all bets on which one of the 12 is the traitor that Makarov mentioned

My bet is either the one Lucy is currently fighting or the lady who isn't a wizard at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I read "Ajeel" and was ready to get pissed over Gajeel jobbing so early. Thankfully what actually happened was pretty cool.

Although, "My friend's there! Shoot it!" may not have been a 100% reliable strat.

That's where the faith in your friends comes in. Besides, we saw Erza tank Jupiter cannon shots years ago.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nahxela posted:

Ichiya rules.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Gildartz just showing up and being a zillion times stronger than everyone after endless training arcs has gotten kinda lame. Ditto with Laxus.

The ostensible big bads of the tournament arc jobbing to Laxus was cool though, so I'll give him a pass.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If Erza marries Jellal I'm gonna be mad because he sucks and she can do better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Either this is a standard Fairy Tail setup for Brandish becoming a good guy since roughly this same sort of thing has been done at least twice before or she's actually going to get killed. Former seems more likely since her connection to Lucy's mother hasn't been explained yet. My bet's on her being Lucy's long lost sister she never knew about.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I, for one, am glad she did not die.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And so Lucy's harem gains another member.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't think Mashima remembers the time skip.

Either of them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think Elfman and Evergreen are denying it any more.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Please do not be mean to my friend Lucy. I still have hope that maybe someday she will get to do something cool.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

What's funny is that Mashima is setting this up as some epilogue stuff and then 5 chapters from now or whenever Lucy is next in trouble he'll magibabble some way for her to stumble on to Aquarius' new ring to save her and still have nothing for her to do in the epilogue.

She will be the guild master in the epilogue because I have decided it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Makarov was right. Serena is disappointing.

Dude worfed like a champ.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Only a long running shounen series that has had several bad arcs can make people cheer at something like this chapter happening. It's like with Bleach and Aizen coming back in his chair, or if Ichigo has to climb back up yet again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I cared more about two sand village randos who were I guess from some movie getting unceremoniously and lamely killed off by some bullshit than I did about Neji.

Also don't give up, Juvia, even if your special sleeping bag didn't work.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

The way every drat female villain in this manga implies that she wants to sexually assault a female hero is really tired at this point.

Hey now!

Sometimes it's the female heroes doing it, too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Simoom posted:

is the ever a moment where one of the main, non humiliation heroes are seriously challenged by an enemy without it being due to a timely handicap?

An owl man ate one of them once.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait I thought Lucy was with Erza and the rest, not still next to Natsu.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, Igneel and Lucy's dad died too.

Also some random named villains in various arcs have probably died.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Laxus is very electrifying.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rave Master had a cool sword. It also had Jellal the First.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Even back then, Mashima made sure to keep the baps in frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want Ur to somehow come back with her cool ice arm and ice leg. Then Juvia can ask for her permission to marry Gray because he can't argue against Ur.

• Locked thread