Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zogundar posted:

It sounded like Ultear died right after that last scene?

Also surprised no one commented on Gray saying "gtfo skank" to Juvia. Juvia will be Sa-chan from now on. :downsgun:

I actually don't understand why Gray is such a dick to Juvia in the first place. She only "stalks" him in a comedic sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gyges posted:

So is this the one story where everyone but Lucy gets stripped? Taking a man's scarf is just low.

So is anyone else expecting Natsu's scarf to turn out to be a power limiter now? Though the continued trampling of the noble concept of friendship may simply be enough of a power up.

Apparently. But Happy is copping a serious feel on Lucy in that cool-down hug panel.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's Fairy Tail, guys; it isn't going to be super deep. Its Gray's dad, bonus points if he's also Natsu's dad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Its Fairy Tail.

Literally nobody dies.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 5, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gyges posted:

I do like that Gray is so obsessed with doing a good thing that it's made him evil. And that after explaining exactly what he's there for, the rest of the guild commented on how evil he was.

He's looking for a goddamn evil book to destroy. What the gently caress is wrong with you, Avatar? That's not loving evil. Your whole thing is worshiping Zerif and Gray just said he's all about wrecking up a specific piece of Zerif work.

Avatar is the worst bad guy group ever.

Isn't he just looking for Natsu himself and doesn't know it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Relin posted:

Kind of a letdown development, with a revelation out of nowhere. But I'm used to FT's terrible pacing

Why does he need to kill all of humanity if he already revived his brother more or less

It's going to end up being some bigger bad who cursed him, and his dumb rear end couldn't figure it out in centuries of life, and then maybe god slayer magic will be used? Or Mashima will forget

Its not even all that huge of a revelation. We already knew Natsu was a demon he created; the fact that he was a normal looking bloke meant I guessed instantly he was a brother or something. Zeref is basically just Orochimaru (Orochimaru's backstory is almost identical - he wanted to figure out how to bring his dead family back and got kicked out for crazy experiments and then everyone thought he was dead but he wasn't)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

kohon posted:

All I remember is I think Natsu was created to defeat Zeref. I think that's all that has really been said before today's chapter, other than Zeref's weird obsession with Natsu.

At the end of the last arc, they mentioned the "Book of E.N.D." that was the macguffin of the arc was "Etherias Natsu Dragneel." "Etherias" was mentioned to be a super-high level demon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

This a friend of a friend said such and such but supposedly the writer suffers from writers block. I think he's still struggling to figure out a proper story but he is getting there. There's now a few threads of a story happening and he's introducing more and more things.

I agree though, pretty poo poo pacing.

Sounds like he's from the Kubo-school and just invents new character when he runs out of ideas for story. Of course, he doesn't bother to invent serious powers for them, he just invents random variations on powers we've already seen and just has Natsu punch through them...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The new country will have a bunch of chicks with their tits spilling out who are arrogant and then Natsu says "don't gently caress with me" and punches through them.

FRIENDS

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Why is Laxus so overpowered when he's a "fake" dragonslayer again? Him and Gildartz showing up and being like ten times stronger than everyone regardless of the main casts' training is sort of annoying.

Because Laxus is like 3 years older than Natsu and he happens to be offscreen a lot so he's always a badass when he shows up for eight seconds before Natsu uses Nakama Power to win whatever fight they're in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The biggest problem is that while the series is legit interesting now (because we actually established why the bad guy is bad and what the backstories/motivations for the characters are outside of "power of nakama,") it feels 300 chapters too late to start getting interesting. Why did we need 300 chapters of Natsu fighting miniboss squads in stripper outfits again?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So I'm on the Tenrou Island arc and this is getting kind of not so good now. Does the crazy over use of "My Friendship!" take a back seat after this or does it keep on trucking? Because I'm kind of hard pressed to think of any other series where characters are so blatantly out matched and going on at length about how defeated they are before going "But my friends!" and then winning in one hit.

The series in general gets much more interesting from that part to now because we actually get a sense of something going on outside of the guild itself and build up legitimate motivations with the main characters (well, except Lucy because you already know all of that). But to actually answer this question, not really, the characters continue to win fights "BECAUSE HE HAS FRIENDS!" still, particularly Natsu and Lucy. (Although Natsu's overuse of this trope gets more interesting in contrast with the main villain later on)

Relevant: http://i.imgur.com/8p1C2Hl.gif

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 3, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Goddamn Mavis. So if she isn't really 100% dead, what is she doing? Astral Projecting? Can she do this all the time? Why hasn't she been doing this from day 1? She may be stuck naked in a crystal forever but it seems like she just kind of gets to ignore most of the negative effects of being mostly dead. She just hangs out and goes wherever she wants. I don't necessarily hate her character, but she is an annoying ball of convenience.

Natsu rules though.

Not only is she ignoring the effect of being dead, she's ignoring the entire Curse and hanging out with her friends normally.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zogundar posted:

Since this can't be the final showdown, hopefully Natsu finally becomes END or something. I'm curious to see how much END looks like the getup Natsu wore as a pretend-bad guy back in the Edolas arc.

But Natsu is END already. Zeref calls the Etherious demons "Etherious" because he brought them to life using the Ethernano poo poo - Natsu is just his dead brother brought to life the same way, so he called him Etherious Natsu Dragneel.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The plot has gotten way better in the last year or so, I think Mashima must have resolved whatever plot knots he had created. The problem is that retroactively making a plot like the Tartaros arc interesting is that retroactively making arcs interesting is a lovely way to construct a plotline.

Also, :lol: at the resolution of the plot being prevented by Happy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zogundar posted:

Doesn't the latest chapter introduce a pretty major plot hole?

So if END didn't start Tartaros and that was just Mard Geer being a crazy person that talked to books, how did Silver know END was a fire demon? You'd think if he knew that much he'd know END was Natsu and wouldn't have told Grey about this stuff in the first place.

Maybe he just didn't know all that much?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

It does matter, because it all but confirms the Zeref face turn, hooks back up with Mavis ending.

He will 100% redeem himself before he dies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I can't help but be impressed by Mashima's work ethic though. Dude puts a ton of pages out a week and sometimes does multiple chapters.

The only person that's even possible to die is Natsu and I don't think that's likely at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fabricated posted:

It's Fairy Tail.

He "died" by getting sent through an Interdimensional Rift.

It's 0%.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't understand how its supposed to be plausible that Gray's power-up is anywhere near good enough for him to take on Natsu in E.N.D. form.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You would think that the fact that Natsu himself never killed anyone and the fact that his stated goal is to kill Zeref (the guy who makes the demons who killed Ul, his dad and in Gray's mind, Juvia) would have some kind of impact on Gray as opposed to "I must defeat you (even though its implausible I could)".

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

http://mangastream.com/r/fairy_tail/504/3714/1

Non-Garbage Scan

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Why the gently caress are they listening to that old lady telling them that Lucy getting naked and rubbing up on unconscious Natsu is going to do loving anything to help him survive. Like, why the gently caress would that help anything?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gyges posted:

It wouldn't be as effective as a fire or another high heat external source, but getting naked with someone entering hypothermia for maximum skin contact while under thermal layers, like a blanket, is an emergency survival strategy. 98.6 degrees of skin contact is effective enough at stabilizing the beginnings of hypothermia.

Of course, in this situation you'd want multiple naked people under some blankets with Natsu. Probably not Grey, but everyone else including the cats and the old lady would be a valid emergency treatment for Natsu's falling body temperature. Ideally after they do some quick cardio/calisthenics to get their own body temperature up.

They're not in a snowstorm and Natsu literally eats fire. Just throw him in a goddamn bonfire.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Isn't 36 hours pretty short?

I thought the Final Fantasy games were supposed to be really long and take a lot of time.

If you ignore every side quest it's a lot shorter. This one is designed to be a lot more like an open world game so if you do the main story straight through it isn't that long (shorter than previous ones). Unlike other FF games you're clearly offered lots and lots of side quests from the very beginning of the game though. I don't think the game really designed around people ignoring all of them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

There's still no explanation given for why Lucy had to get naked and grind on naked comatose Natsu. I mean, other than "written by Hiro Mashima."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gyges posted:

Surviving Hypothermia 101 in Pop Culture. You get naked and get under the sheets with someone so your body heat warms them.

But he doesn't even have hypothermia and he literally eats fire. They should dump him into the loving campfire.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

You know what I'm confused about, how the gently caress did Mavis give birth to this child? Wasn't she in stasis for many many years? I don't even remember the chapter about her...

When did they have sex given that she became comatose at their first kiss

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don't ask questions you don't want answered

How did she give birth inside a crystal

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

We're supposed to use Zeref's words this chapter to infer that Mavis lied and they were able to go further before her coma.
So either either they saved their first kiss for after having had sex, or possibly Mavis meant the kiss in a euphemistic way because she thought "graphic unprotected sexual intercourse" would make the story less classically romantic/tragic when explained to her NAKAMA. Or she got pregnant magically through the Force... and then Precht performed a magical Caesarian on a comatose loli encased in a rock then threw the baby out on the street.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 13, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

by the way, isn't he still alive (or was alive and fought fairy tail)

august is old as gently caress so is precht like 200 years old now or what

Precht is Hades from the Grimoire Heart arc. He got killed by Zeref (I think he's one of the few people to actually die).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You realize I left out the most disturbing option for the sake of not making it depressing as opposed to just weird.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

What a fucken loser Simon is. Only good guy in the entire series to die. And after he died, the girl he loved was stolen by the loving guy that killed him.

Acnologia also got the short end of the stick. He jobbed to a boat.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 26, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Harry posted:

So 8 chapters left to dedicate to close up of women's butts. What do you think, beach, hot spring, and sexy dungeon chapter?

Natsu is like kind of sort of still alive and almost assuredly has to save Lucy from whatever happened with the Book.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I feel like the love story between Zeref and Mavis would almost be kind of cute and touching if one of the participants didn't have the body of a child. As it is now though, it will never not be creepy.

I mean Zeref is like 16 himself.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gyges posted:

Zeref is over 400 years old.

I mean right but he looks like 16. Mavis is actually like 200 too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

Chapter 544

Friendship wins again

So he went with this, straight up:

http://i.imgur.com/edTHU80.jpg

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

chumbler posted:

I will be very displeased when she isn't guild master in the ending.

I'm gonna miss this dumb manga when it's over. I don't think Mashima will have trouble getting another series going, though.

He probably already wrote half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ManSedan posted:

Is it over? I haven't seen the latest few issues yet. Are there titties, dragons, or butts?

Everyone is alive. Probably even acnologia.

Well except Simon gently caress Simon the guy who killed Simon is loving the girl Simon was in love with and died tried to protect

• Locked thread