Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter up on MS. Looks like one of the 12 did, in fact, go down easily. I'm pretty sure she'll wake back up and go back to fighting the protagonists soon, though.

Also, while I was expecting the other guilds to help out eventually, I wasn't expecting Ichiya of all people to play a major role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
In Chapter 463, surprisingly little happens for a Fairy Tail chapter.

Natsu's plan is actually a perfectly reasonable one, as Mavis acknowledges, but it's doomed to fail due to shonen battle manga plot structure.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

There is exactly 0 chance that worked.

The next chapter, provided it isn't all a gigantic flashback is going to be Zeref standing there either unharmed or mostly unharmed or maybe hosed up but not dead, then Natsu will job out horribly.

Zeref is already visibly scratched up, so he's not going to be unharmed. My guess is that Natsu will run out of Igneel's energy at the last moment, and Zeref will be badly injured, but not dead.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
That was a very good chapter by Fairy Tail standards. It tied together a bunch of dangling plot points (like the Dragon Slayers all being older than they look) and resolved the fight with a genuine emotional payoff.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

sharktamer posted:

There's kinda something wrong with you when every murder becomes a rape-murder in your eyes.

Eh. It's not literally a rape, but did Mashima really have to draw him climbing on top of her like that?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Aquarius is still an rear end in a top hat, I see.

Fairy Tail has always been pretty bad about the easily forgiven thing, but Brandish strikes me as an especially bad case. She hated Lucy for something that wasn't remotely Lucy's fault, forcing Lucy to get in the bath with her was super creepy, she treated her subordinate like crap for pretty much no apparent reason, and she worked for Zeref. Yet now she and Lucy are best friends?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bondster posted:

So Lucy and Brandish were supposed to be the same age as kids, yet after the seven year timeskip they look exactly the same?

Sure thing there Mashima

Brandish looks somewhat older to me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Did Brandish even do anything to Lucy? She slaughtered civilians, but fairy tail doesn't care about civilians.

Is that really how they're written? They don't care about property damage, but I thought they'd always had a fair amount of concern for civilian lives.

And I don't actually remember Brandish killing anyone personally.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The way every drat female villain in this manga implies that she wants to sexually assault a female hero is really tired at this point.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 2, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Because while I do not actually want to see characters I like die, it tends to feel like a waste of pages when the author keeps throwing in these super powerful opponents and death flags only for the good guys to just FRIENDSHIP their way through everything. Like I know that's pretty much what Fairy Tail is but there's hardly any tension in the series at all because you know that Nasu is gonna punch Zeref in the end and nearly die but then not die because dragons or something. Everyone's gonna struggle against this so-called powerful bad guys who won't achieve jack poo poo because of their supposed power.

I'm just not fond of these mass-scale wars in shounen because in the end the scale is just an illusion - it all ends the same way.

The mass-scale war in One Piece breaks the mold, at least.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ezra's friend, also known as the only guy to actually die.

Kagura's brother.

... I think?

EDIT: I was right.

To be fair, Igneel and Lucy's dad died too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Bluenote was fighting Equally with Gildartz until Azuma depowered everyone. Then Gildartz sent Bluenote flying with his second wind.

Gildartz collapsed after sending Bluenote flying, though. So they were still roughly equals.

Presumably Natsu became roughly equal to Tenrou arc Gildartz/Bluenote when he got Second Origin, and surpassed that level overwhelmingly during the two-year time skip.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Speaking of Ezra, the new chapter was pretty cool despite the return of Kyouka's TORTURE BONDAGE.

This was a crappy chapter. Another girl-on-girl torture/near-rape scene, another case of Erza instantly winning a fight she'd previously been losing through sheer willpower, another contrived backstory connection.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Going through the manga, just past the Natsu vs Zerif fight and I'm forgetting; what's Grey's Beef with E.N.D, again?

I think Silver's dying instruction to Gray was to destroy END. Although I'm pretty sure Silver didn't actually understand what END was.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

Is that a C-section scar?

Guess that's proof enough she's Ezra's mother!

I know this is overthinking it, but isn't she a bit young-looking to be Erza's mother? Erza was 18-ish at the start of the series, she was transported 7 years forward in time after Acnologia blew up Tenrou Island, and there was a 2-year time skip after the Tartaros arc. Her mother would have to be at least in her 40s.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jiffypop45 posted:

You really don't need any other explanation for it.

Hence the "I know this is overthinking it."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The new chapter is up on MS. It's decent enough for Fairy Tail, although for a Fairy Tail chapter, surprisingly little happens in it.

I assume Rahkeid (Rockhide?) is the remaining member of the Spriggan 12. I was actually expecting it to be Rustyrose, since he's already crossed paths with Zeref on-panel and was powerful enough to begin with that he could plausibly be Spriggan 12 level with 9 years of training.

I had also expected "The Monstrous Six" to refer to Eileen having a split personality because of the line about August only being the strongest "individual" (which may have just been a bad translation of a specifically masculine word). By the way, while Levy feels awkward about being counted as a Monstrous 6 member, it's not like Pantherlilly or Lisanna (or even Elfman, arguably) is particularly strong either. I'm guessing the matchups will be Mirajane vs. Eileen (makes sense because Mirajane is already established as Erza's friend, IIRC, as well as probably being the strongest of the Monstrous 6), Lisanna and Levy vs. the underling girls, Elfman vs. Bradman (if only because the names match), and Gajeel vs. Rahkeid, with Patherlilly assisting Gajeel or Elfman.

The kiss was unexpected. The implication that she's somehow doing it to make up for performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on Jellal (either to "apologize" to Erza for "kissing" her boyfriend or to make "kissing" a guy she hates somehow "count" less) is really weird and not the way one would expect an adult human to act/think, but still less creepy than most of the yuri-baiting scenes in Fairy Tail lately.

By the way, are Brandish and Dimaria supposed to be best friends in some tsundere way or do they actually hate each other?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Divine Orator posted:

Fairy Tail is full of Yuri but at the same time all of it feels completely accidental.

My impression is that it's mostly intentional, but pretty much none of it is intended to be serious, if that makes any sense?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

With a knife?

Brandish magnified the knife into an enormous sword with her magic. Plus magical power (aside from things that modify the user's body like Dragon Slayer magic) presumably doesn't give you a passive durability boost.

It was doomed to fail due to shonen plot logic, though; you can't kill someone whose powers haven't been fully revealed yet.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

My favorite part of Fairy Tail is the "Tied and tortured" game. Binds? Check. Sticky, clothes dissolving goo? Check. Torture? ... wait, there was torture, but it lasted a very short while. Maybe Mashima is getting tired of it. :ohdear:

ahahahahahaha, no.

At least the person doing the torturing seemed driven by genuine spite instead of kinkiness for once, even though it was still clearly meant to be sexually appealing to readers.

I'm sure not I understand Eileen's motivations very well. The sword girls seemed terrified of her, but apparently she sees them as some kind of substitute for Erza and gets really upset when they get hurt? For that matter, why did she even pick a fight with Acnologia? Acnologia's goal at the time was killing the Dragon Slayers, and he'd already killed the only one on Alvarez's side; she could have just let him kill Natsu and Cobra for her. Normally I'd just dismiss all this as Mashima's bad writing, but the direction he went with Zeref shows that he can make sense of seemingly incoherent characterization when he puts in the effort.

Speaking of Zeref, I'm not sure how Rahkeid is related to him and Natsu. It seems impossible for Zeref to have a biological son, an adoptive son would probably be out of character for him, and any other close relatives should be long dead by now. I guess he could just be a distant relative, but that seems like too pointless a fakeout even for Mashima.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Harry posted:

So Lisana, Mira and Elfman are siblings right? So there's another sibling, that Lisana presumably only knows about?

I can't tell if this is meant to be a joke or not.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

New chapter out.

Do you know all those fights we have seen until now? They were for nothing. And the most shocking thing of all? Not a single boob in this chapter

What are you doing, Mashima?

After all the times the heroes have woken back up after being knocked out, it's only fair that the villains get to do it too.

I do wonder how Fairy Tail and friends are supposed to win at this point, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

New Chapter

Seems like just a setup chapter. Nothing of note happened I guess.

Statham mage is still funny imo. And I liked how Rogue and Minerva were led to the battlefield by (RANDOM FAIRY TAIL MEMBER #142).

A setup chapter by Fairy Tail standards, but a lot still happened. Three fights started, and one (Gildarts vs. Serena) was possibly resolved.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bondster posted:

Ah, we are back into "so drat stupid its funny" territory Yes, Juvia's secret and tactical magic of having her water turn to blood for a blood transfusion. Lets just ignore that Gray would still have a massive chest wound from his sword and pierced internal organs!

I assume his Demon Slayer powers are holding him together to an extent. I don't expect realistic treatment of injuries in shonen manga anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

New Chapter's Up

The answer was one, apparently

Although at least the means of reviving her involved Wendy and Charle's established abilities, instead of nonsense like Gajeel falling through a convenient hole in space-time.

I like that Mashima remembered that Brandish isn't really a good person. She seems to genuinely care about August, but aside from that, it feels like her only reactions are apathy, mercy based on a legalistic sense of obligation, and sadistic contempt. Mostly apathy.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 5, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter is up on MS. Neinhart went down too easily after the hype about his defenses being strong enough to block Brandish's magic, but that's Fairy Tail for you. Also, while Mashima at least managed to make some sense of how Brandish feels about Natsu and Lucy, the relationship between Brandish and Dimaria is as confusing as ever. First they seemed to hate each other, then Dimaria seemed to really miss Brandish when they were imprisoned separately, then it seemed like Dimaria was acting insincerely clingy towards Brandish because she'd become terrified of Fairy Tail and wanted a strong ally, now she's Brandish's jealous ex-girlfriend? It's a common sentiment here that flashbacks are overused in shonen, but I think a flashback here would help a lot.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Simoom posted:

Flashback is not needed, it's Mashima hinting at a lesbian relationship, but because its a battle shonen all the mandatory violence and torture makes it more abusive than provocative

See, Mashima actually did something similar with Kyouka and Sayla in the Tartaros arc, but it worked there (at least somewhat) because for all the torturing Kyouka did to people other than Sayla, she and Sayla seemed to sincerely care about each other. (It's pretty much the only time Mashima has humanized a villain without having them become a "good guy.")

Here it just doesn't work because the first thing we learn about Dimaria is that she and Brandish can't stand each other. And you can't even say it's just a tsundere thing, because after Dimaria escapes from prison she's all "I'm sorry about all the awful things I said to you! Now let's go kill these Ishgar guys together and definitely avoid getting into fights alone!"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just realized Mashima can't even keep it consistent over the course of a few pages.

Dimaria on page 20 (smugly): "Such a pity, Randi...You're simply no good to us any more."
On page 21 she's frowning as she slices up Brandish. I guess that could be taken as regretting what she feels she had no choice but to do?
Dimaria on page 22: "Tell me...Are you the one responsible for corrupting my Randi?"
Then on page 23 she's enraged and crying.

From smug indifference to yandere love in just a couple pages.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Its sad how far behind the power creep curve Lucy is.

Assuming the Time God inside Dimaria was burned out of her by Chelia's God Slayer powers, Lucy should be able to win without too much trouble. I like the ambiguity where Lucy is surprised by Dimaria's speed when she slices up Brandish, but it isn't explicitly stated that Dimaria stopped time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Is there a term for powers in shonen you have but can't use because of censorship?

Like yeah you could explode everyone's spleens but you're not allowed since that would be too gory so instead giantess fetish.

The :tvtropes: term is Could Have Been Messy. Though in this case I think the issue is less censorship and more keeping main characters alive.

Edit: Actually, it's more specifically Inverse Law of Utility and Lethality.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Pretty sure neither Natsu nor Gray is in their right mind at the moment, due to both of them tapping into their demon powers.

Where are Rakheid and August? Their absence lately feels like Mashima cheating in FT's favor.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Fairy Tail's like Naruto and Bleach now: we know it's the final arc, we just don't know when the end exactly will be.

There could potentially be another arc after this where they go to the realm of the gods and beat up Ancselam.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter is up.

I actually think that Makarov is actually dead.

Why isn't Laxus dead, though? He just touched Mavis's real body, while she was thinking about how sad it was that Makarov was dead (proving she still believes life is precious). Was Ancseram just feeling merciful?

Erza finally smacked some sense into Natsu and Gray, but she injured both her hands in the process, and they're still injured too. This is still going to be an uphill battle for FT, especially if August and Rakheid have been taking out various allies we haven't seen in a while offscreen.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 17, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
We finally find out what August is up to. Rakheid is still a mystery, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Eileen seems too cruel to be future Erza, and scenes like her asking the King of Fiore what it means to be a parent or whatever don't make much sense if she isn't Erza's mother. But it's Mashima, so something that makes no sense is always a possibility.

Maybe Eileen is just being melodramatic, and in the next chapter she'll explain that she's Erza's mother? Contrived last-page fake-outs like that are not exactly unheard of in weekly manga.

Actually, here's a better theory: Erza is a clone of Eileen. So they're mother and daughter in a sense, but Eileen saying they're the same isn't nonsense. This potentially explains a lot, including why Eileen looks a bit young to be Erza's mother. Come to think of it, maybe Rakheid is the result of Zeref cloning himself as well.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 25, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rye Bread posted:

I'm going with twins, or some sort of split personality thing. They were the same person, then split into evil and good.

Twins is possible, I guess (which would make Eileen 7 years older due to Erza being transported forward in time). Not a fan of the Kami/Piccolo possibility; it seems needlessly complicated (Who split them? When? Why?) and doesn't really fit their personalities (Erza is too violent to be pure good, and Eileen seems too enigmatic to be pure evil). Which isn't to say Mashima won't do it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
That's certainly a thing. At least we finally know what Rakheid is up to.

I'm slightly confused about the conditions for his magic. Are you immune if you've never had an orgasm before? Although I have trouble believing Erza doesn't masturbate occasionally. Is she just resisting through sheer willpower?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Hahaha "Only his mother can defeat him!"

a bunch of nobodies from the literally who??? guild beat him

I'm willing to buy it because it took 3 of them working together, and Sting in particular had a good power matchup.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter is up!

So Eileen is Erza's mother after all...and maybe Acnologia is her father? Sure, why not. I can't actually remember if there was anything in the Eileen vs. Acnologia fight to support or refute this.

I'm a little surprised that Eileen claims that being Erza's mother means nothing to her, since in the past there's been a vague suggestion that she feels something about being a parent, although exactly what is unclear. Also, since she bothered to mention it, either it matters to her on some level or she assumes it matters to Erza. Though given how inconsistent Dimaria's characterization was, it's probably pointless to read too much into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
That last panel of pregnant Eileen provides more support for the C-section scar theory.

• Locked thread