Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Is it going to turn out that Lucy is the only Fairy Tail member who didn't spend the last year getting stronger? Not that her magic particularly calls for it.

Lucy doesn't need to get stronger, but I think her personal strength increasing improves her summoning. She can have more out longer, and I think she can buff them too. You could have both if she were instead a freelance traveling reporter that occasionally gets into struggles herself. She's writing/investigating the other's whereabouts, and getting stronger.

But we all know she'll have somehow increased her strength because reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Gajeel can also play the guitar and scat.

And he has the best cat.

Why isn't Gajeel the main character again? Or at least give him a spin-off.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

More importantly he's not near Levy. My mighty shipping heart is broken.

If I were to peg anyone for hooking up during the skip, it would've been those two.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised he went through with breaking Aquarius' key. There were so many other non-boob choices.

How sweet, you think she's actually gone. Although, thinking about it, if it turns out Lucy spent part of the timeskip repairing the key using her own power/training to do so, I will accept that.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Simoom posted:

yeah its not a sweet power up and it doesn't mean anything. like erza's magic, it is an excuse for fetishy outfits. she's still Lucy and this only happened so she can become a cow girl. dude knows what he likes to draw

I like the concept, and I'm glad Lucy taking on Aquarius's power wasn't a one-off thing (okay so technically, it was. Maybe). But so far, yeah, it's just an excuse to put Lucy in new fanservicey clothing. It would've been better if the Regulus Lucy kick wasn't just used for a quick joke in one panel. Mashima should've made it an Inazuma kick shout-out or something.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Leo-mode is fine, but you know future fusions will be more fetishy. Maybe not all of them, but it's gonna happen.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

I will thank you not to denigrate the upgraded form of The Most Powerful Attack.

It was just a suggestion. I just want Lucy to be more than jokes an fanservice.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

Two new chapters today, which is surprising since isn't it golden week?

The magazine is releasing next week's issue Friday because of Golden Week, so no new scans until about the 11th.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Bad Moon posted:

Gajeel remains the man. Flirting with Levy like it ain't no thang.

Fixed that for you.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Am I wrong for wanting everything involving Alvarez and Lumen Histoire to be an elaborate scheme concocted by Zeref to get a date with Mavis?

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I have never had as much issue remembering past characters and events as I have reading Fairy Tale. Even beyond bit characters that show up again, there are entire arcs that I have almost zero recollection of.

Sometimes I think that's the case with Mashima as well.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kuroyama posted:

Am I wrong for wanting everything involving Alvarez and Lumen Histoire to be an elaborate scheme concocted by Zeref to get a date with Mavis?

Called it?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Dude that prevents her from summoning, and thus getting her special clothes, is in the room in a pillbox. There's no escaping naked battle.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Relevant to the earlier Gajeel-chat, a new gaiden has started, with a focus on him. Even has a page where FT members are talking about his crueler moments.

And if anyone cares, a few days ago they announced a FT Zero anime starting January.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

kohon posted:

I heard about the FT Zero anime yesterday. I wonder how long it will be since it's only 13 chapters or so. I guess one episode per chapter might work but that seems like it would be stretching it.

There is the possibility that the storyline could just be a buffer arc to let Mashima get further in the main story. The staff did announce that there was gonna be a filler arc between the magic games and Tartaros, and when they were gonna start Tartaros. But at the same time, I think the regular anime could end within the current cour with a little squeezing, and they could just take 6 months-a year off like they did before, and this will be a one-cour deal to keep up the interest.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Alectai posted:

I think it's more "Natsu is basically a lich, and the END book is his phylactery"

And that's why he keeps surviving things that really should kill him, like that bit where he ate the Etherion.

"Etherious Natsu Dragneel" in this case should be read the same way as "Super Saiyan Goku", and the book is how to unlock it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Yeah, Zeref's words seem to imply that Mard Geer used the name of E.N.D. to prop up Tartaros, but also that he didn't actually read the book himself.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Spiderdrake posted:

Also there are probably some plotholes but it is impossible for me to care about such in fairy tail. Does this plot even make any sense? Did anyone read Zeref proclaiming Natsu can no longer kill him and go "yes. yes of course. this is a thing that will matter."

It does matter, because it all but confirms the Zeref face turn, hooks back up with Mavis ending.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kuroyama posted:

Yeah, Zeref's words seem to imply that Mard Geer used the name of E.N.D. to prop up Tartaros, but also that he didn't actually read the book himself.

Quoting to point out that Crunchroll's translation makes it clearer that this is the case. Mard Geer formed Tartaros, using the Book of E.N.D. for publicity.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I didn't say it was good publicity.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Reminder that a lot of popular series get scanlations out before the official release. The recent crackdown on raw providers is putting scan releases much closer to the official versions.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

kohon posted:

The most recent chapter stated that the dragon children all came to present day on July 7, 777 but that doesn't really explain the 7 year age difference of Sting/Rogue and the other three. They all looked like relatively the same age when it showed the children selection. Either Mashima forgot about this or I'm forgetting or not seeing something.

Kyte posted:

You mean before or after the Tenrou Island timefreeze?

There's still a mistake somewhere. Without time shenanigans, Rogue, Wendy, and Sting should be the same age, with Gajeel and Natsu older. Gajeel and Natsu should probably have been drawn in the flashback panels to look more like Romeo or Wendy do currently.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

When will baps discrimination end? :sigh:

Mashima is doing all he can, but he's only one man.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
466 is out on Crunchyroll, and I can't say I saw that ending coming. :stare:

Edit: Apparently someone at Crunchyroll forgot that this week is Kodansha's off week for Christmas or something, cause it's down now.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 16, 2015

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Doesn't Fairy Tail march to the beat of its own holiday drum? I want to say there were weeks where I only read FT and nothing else.

The companies will take different weeks off for the holiday breaks.

Gyges posted:

Having not read this chapter yet, because reading Fairy Tail at work is a bad idea, is this really that much further down the rabbit hole than Erza's nude torture at the hands of a buxom demon and a tentacle monster?

It's better in that it's not drawn to sexualize what's happening, but worse in that he draws what's happening in a legitimately creepy manner.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fabricated posted:

I dunno, a dude with a really creepy face straddling a nearly naked woman, choking her out while her arms and legs are cuffed seemed particularly gross and creepy.

But it's a "good" kind of creepy.

It's not Lucy taking a beatdown, then being in a panel taking up a third of the page focusing on her butt or boobs. It's Brandish getting choked out, and looking appropiately disgusting while it's happening.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I was distracted by the choking and Jacob Lessio's scrub tier fashion sense. Buttoning all your suit's buttons? Holy poo poo, this may be the most disgusting chapter of the year.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

sharktamer posted:

Goons being mad at no one dying in a children's comic in 3...2...1...

Is that the phone?

I think it's the phone, because I loving called it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mulderman posted:

My favorite little bit about them so far, which might not be intentional at all. Was a few chapters ago when we saw everyone getting ready. We see a small glimpse of their beds and it looks like they have the same bedsheets.

It's a really subtle thing that doesn't rely on blatant fanservice or heavy handed imagery, so it might just be a coincidence, this being Fairy Tail and all but still.

The best part of that was the chapter ended with the start of the invasion by the Empire's army and the Spriggan Twelve, but all the internet gave a poo poo about was the possibility that the two had hooked up.

I want it to be that they just have the same style of blanket for one reason or another, if only because the frustration of shippers gets me off.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Durham posted:

So what you're saying is that rave master is alright

Rave is the superior Mashima work. Comparing the two, I'd describe it as FT being "Rave, with all the flaws turned up".

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Meanwhile, in other news that may make certain areas of the internet more insufferable than usual, a Fairy Tail novel was released yesterday. Apparently the plot is Natsu and Lucy having to babysit a brother and sister twin duo. The part that's making everyone lose their poo poo is that they're apparently Gajeel and Levy's future children.

The cover

Now, as a side novel, it's technically not canon. But I think Mashima's current policy is something like as long as he doesn't directly contradict it, it's canon. So congratulations, Gajeel and Levy?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kyte posted:

I assume there's time travel afoot.

But that's fine they're best couple. If best couple is confirmed then that can only be a good thing.

Time travel shenanigans seem to be in play, yes. Not much has come out, just chapter illustrations and a quick sorta summary.

But, chapter 478 is out, in which Lucy loses more clothes, and Statham is a bit of a prude.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Say Nothing posted:

Magical poo poo occurs, Lucy's clothes fall off, Natsu saves the day.
Pretty much every chapter.

Fairy Tail Manga Thread 3: Magical poo poo occurs. [Woman]'s clothes fall off. Natsu saves the day

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Poison dude only got his membership card because he's buddies with his flying snake.

Cobra's gonna end up loving Cubelios/Kinana. How's that gonna affect his membership status?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

MonsterEnvy posted:

nope the Snake is a human girl now. (And always was she was just cursed by being turned into a snake.)

And she'll probably transform back to a snake to help out Cobra.

And may I say, she may possibly be the worst developed character in the series. All this information comes from side stories and those chapter cover profiles Mashima occasionally pops out.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

What, Lady Eileen? We've no idea who she is, or whether she was a legendary rear end-kicker or what.

Neinhart wouldn't be freaking out if there wasn't something important about Lady Eileen.

In other reactions, did Mashima forget that Gray should be able to eat Ur's magic?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
She did open up the Eclipse in this era. So not an rear end-kicker, but still important to the story.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
He didn't forget all of it. Just the bits that have nothing to do with Juvia.

I mean, he could have had Grey eat Ur's magic for the boost, then one-shot all the demons revived from Neinhart's magic. poo poo, have the one demon Laxus fought come back so it's all demons for him to wipe out with his demon slaying magic.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Silver2195 posted:

I know this is overthinking it, but isn't she a bit young-looking to be Erza's mother? Erza was 18-ish at the start of the series, she was transported 7 years forward in time after Acnologia blew up Tenrou Island, and there was a 2-year time skip after the Tartaros arc. Her mother would have to be at least in her 40s.

Irene spends all her not destroying things at the spa. Just because you're a walking disaster area doesn't mean you can't look your best doing so.

In all seriousness, if she is Erza's mother, she should be be in her mid-40s. Any younger starts getting into creepy territory, and I don't think Mashima could pull off "pregnant by age 14 because of her lovely childhood" with the grace and care it requires.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Well duh. Best couple=best chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

slev posted:

I still don't really understand this relationship that started with the guy crucifying the girl.

What's not to get? Guy makes dick move, repents, works on atoning, and in doing so, earns the forgiveness and love of one of those he directly hurt in said dick move.

• Locked thread