Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I started reading this. I'm in the middle of the Galuna Island arc.

I like this manga! Like, a lot! I hope it doesn't self-destruct in a horrible way later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nahxela posted:

Honestly, I feel like it more or less maintains a consistent level of what it is. There are some times here and there where it falls flat, but it continues to be a manga where you see a guy punch things with a flaming fist because they made him angry. That's pretty much what I expect and what I get out of Fairy Tail.

So far I think Natsu's the least interesting of the main group. Maybe that'll change later but I'm way more into Lucy and Erza and Gray's poo poo than his.

e: that said I do love how Natsu's reaction to every villain plot thus far is basically "that's stupid, you're stupid."

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 15, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay up to tower of heaven

this is the real poo poo right here

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
end of tower of heaven choked me up a little bit

I sure hope no one minds me commenting on five+ year old story arcs in this thread!

e: yeah let's let the guy who crucified people into the guild that's fine

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 16, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Myurton posted:

I'm guessing you forgot this series is full of blatant fanservice, of course he would add something that would increase it. Carla being a catgirl fills in one of the fetish slots as well, which would be a bonus.

I know I'm being bad and looking at spoilers I really shouldn't given my point in the series but there's already a catgirl in FT :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Mickey Chickentiger"

get the gently caress out of here mashima

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have no idea how anyone could call erza and lucy one dimensional or non-characters. thus far in my reading they're the ONLY protagonists with emotional arc and development.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
who the gently caress is gerald

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gerald and his good friend Blaine

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fabricated posted:

He's literally everybody. everybody is secretly gerald in this manga

I'm glad I can understand this joke now

e: I don't know how Gajeel became my favorite character but its happened

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 17, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man, gently caress Grimoire Heart

cool name though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So do main villains get any cooler than Hades or is he pretty much the zenith

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I refuse to believe there's a villain worse than Brain/Zero

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Really though Brain/Zero was (were?) just the worst

Brain goes down like a chump because he underestimates a Wizard Saint, the thing everyone in the series knows not to do, even though his whole thing is being a smart guy, and Zero had no interesting visual gimmick or magic, he just hit a little harder than his minions and recycled Jellal's dark magic. Wowee.

On top of that there's no emotional attachment or anything really hateable about he/them. He has no personal connection to any of the characters, he's just some random jerkoff. Angel's Evil Lucy, Cobra's a Dragon Slayer, Midnight and Racer are super smug pricks. The worst thing Brain ever does is shoot Cobra while he's about to kill Natsu and Zero just snaps his weird talking staff in half.

In conclusion he sucks and I hate him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Retroactively giving him a reason to be hated doesn't do a whole lot when he's not relevant to the story. (I'm assuming he doesn't come back in any capacity.)

U-DO Burger posted:

Christ I can't follow this conversation at all. I must have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to this manga. Aside from Zeref I remember like none of these villains.

if it helps I'm just now reading it for the first time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Maybe I just have crazy low standards but I'm really enjoying this series and I dunno what would possibly change th-

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I normally shrug off the fan service, but all the weird stripping humiliation poo poo that happened multiple times during the Grand Magic Games arc really put me off and I almost stopped reading.

Oh.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
as someone who has been following fairy tail on and off for years I'm not sure what anyone expected or wanted this ending to be

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So like

what everyone explodes or Natsu dies or something that's not at all tonally consistent with the rest of the series?

also to be fair you can't say FT is the blandest manga when Rave Master exists. FT at least has characters.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

McTimmy posted:

Rave Master rules; Fairy Tail drools.

this is an insane person's opinion but okay

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hate-Senpai posted:

Those two guys who got married and had a kid over the first timeskip.
Gazille and Levy.
Gray and Juvia? Maybe?

Anyone else who's canonically had children, like Makarov.

don't forget the full complete list of everyone who hosed when they weren't affected by the orgasm magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
whoa hey nothing wrong with a nice wyvern every now and then

• Locked thread